3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

IV car's damage vs V car's damage

The Dedito Gae

The Dedito Gae

This should go in gta series chat,ya know,to get less biased opinions but that place is dead.

Which you prefer?

i like more V's damage (past gen) not only you have detachable bumpers and panels but cars feel like metal instead of tinfoil,cars in IV had dents floting in the air most of the time,not to mention they get deformed to the point of realistically being undrivable.

in V,wheels can get "stuck" when hit,and deformation is well done,just try to hit a car with a bat,is fun to completly smash it.

(Granted that a human could do such damage)

i gonna get myself ready to be attacked by IV purists now.

Edited by Midnight Hitman

Fuzzknuckles

I prefer Pepsi, but it's much easier to find Coke.

• Like 2
Signatures are dumb anyway.

Crimson Flam3s

IV easily. V has more detail but it's not fun if it takes 5x the effort to get it, without mentioning dumbed down roof and door damage.

Also due to the physics, the car crashes feel more fun in iv.

Edited by Crimson Flam3s

The Dedito Gae

Also due to the physics, the car crashes feel more fun in iv.

i completly agree on this,IMO V's main problem is not the dumbed down driving,is the horrid car phisics.

is much more fun to smash cars driving a patriot in IV than with a Phantom on V.

• Like 3

russianpolice

I'd take GTA IV car damage all day long. Wish we had that type of car damage on V, but V also has cool parts coming off like panels and stuff.

• Like 2

IV ofc..but for V the damage is fit because the vehicles in GTA V travel really fast than GTA IV so one crash can destroy the whole car quickly for eg the adder..but still GTA IV.Wait for PC release so that the modders can handle the vehicle damage

S1N0D3UTSCHT3K

GTA V last gen had better damage and destruction

but GTA IV had far far faaaaaaaaaaar better damage rates... or speed... thresholds, whatever

IV had some pretty inane damage sometimes, like you rear end a car flush, and for some illogical reason it turns your front end instantly into a triangle lol

but at least your had more instant damage... in V, the damage modeling and body part destruction, deformation were all better last-gen but it took multiple hits by a train to occur

I would take V's last gen damage model and deformation detection andt IV's damage thresholds and rates

oCrapaCreeper

Necessarily, V's damage system is better. More parts of the cars come off, wheels can be jammed or pop off completely, fire spreads, etc but the problem is they are all durable and take extreme measures to show up.

• Like 2

I liked GTA V's driving more but i liked GTA IV physics more especially when crashing.

before someone makes a speech saying how i dont have the necessary IQ or maturity to understand the complexity of GTA IV, that's just my opinion.

Edited by cdgl
  • Like 1

Going max speed and hitting another car just to get some scraped paint is unacceptable. I prefer GTA4's deformation (but 5's driving).

• Like 1

stillmatik36

i get that iv is more realistic, but id prefer the v i dont like my cars all eff'up after a crash

Trevorphilipjfry

The thing about Vs deformation is its harder to initiate, but with the use of a train, or tank. Youcan mess cars up more than you could in IV. Bur overall I'd prefer IVs deformation.

Also, has anyone noticed cars are much much more easily deformed online. But wheels don't rub against the arches, and stuff.

ItsJustMeSrsly

The thing about Vs deformation is its harder to initiate, but with the use of a train, or tank. Youcan mess cars up more than you could in IV. Bur overall I'd prefer IVs deformation.

Also, has anyone noticed cars are much much more easily deformed online. But wheels don't rub against the arches, and stuff.

Well thats the whole point of preferring IV's system over V's one! This is exactly because of how quick your vehicle deforms, because when it does you can feel physical impact more and thus making it all seem believable and less toy-like (thats how i would describe how it feels in GTAV) when you drive your vehicle 200 km/h on the highway, hit something and no visual changes to your car is made! That is retarded and unnatural...

PhillBellic

I would not mind a hybrid. Have IV's crumpling, and have V's parts coming off vehicles.

• Like 2

TheAdmiester

GTA V has it better, but what it lacks from GTA IV will be easier to mod in than what GTA IV was missing from V.

Case in point being that car deformation values are just a setting in the handling.meta file, whereas the parts that can fall off a car are pretty much hardcoded, so extra detachables can't be added to IV whereas the deformation can be fixed in V.

GTA V has it better, but what it lacks from GTA IV will be easier to mod in than what GTA IV was missing from V.

Case in point being that car deformation values are just a setting in the handling.meta file, whereas the parts that can fall off a car are pretty much hardcoded, so extra detachables can't be added to IV whereas the deformation can be fixed in V.

I almost forgot about how they changed over to .meta instead of .dat for a bunch of files. Lots of .xml files too.

EDIT:According to the stock 360 data folder I got on my second HDD they still use .dat for handling

Edited by RM76

L0SS4NT0SK1LL3RV

GTA 5 got a more realistic car damage model, the only problem is that it is too hard to damage it heavily.

I liked IV's crashes and damage way better than V's.

Also, I hate how the cars can sometimes explode in V like when you fall and land upside down. It just kills a lot of the fun. They gave us a map full of mountains and took away the enjoyment of driving over them. Idiots.

• Like 2

ItsJustMeSrsly

GTA 5 got a more realistic car damage model, the only problem is that it is too hard to damage it heavily.

Its not just the ONLY problem, its more like - the BIGGEST problem! The point of argument is that when your car damages/deforms faster due to damage - is overall better, which means it is favored over the cases, when your vehicle is damaged much slowly/has much worse deformation, but in the end it looks more believable and realistic! If i had to choose i would rather go with faster deforming and less overall damage possible to achieve, than other way around!...

The car damage in v is horrible. it feels scripted and cars just stop dead in their tracks during a crash.

I have used this before but i think it does show the difference

this is what we were promised

5u00ea.gif

this is what we got

28tl4jm.gif

24drbis.gif

gta 4 had fantastic damage

a2u0cy.gif

azapa9.gif

I remember smashing into cars with buses in gta 4 and the cars would flip through the air like in movies, but in gta v they just stay in place like a rock

Edited by zuckmeslow

Algonquin Assassin

I like in GTA V how bumpers, panels etc can come flying off, but to me crashes in GTA V are like hitting a bunch of traffic cones and there's no feeling of mass like there is in GTA IV where it feels like you're actually hitting a heavy object rather than something that feels featherweight.

Overall it's pretty "meh". Maybe it's because GTA IV's deformation put the 3D era to shame in its time I don't know, but GTA V's just feels and looks as generic as most open world games. It does some things really good I'll give it that, but GTA IV still has the best damage physics in the series IMO.

GTA IV Signature V4 by Lettermaniac on DeviantArt

The Dedito Gae

..but to me crashes in GTA V are like hitting a bunch of traffic cones and there's no feeling of mass like there is in GTA IV where it feels like you're actually hitting a heavy object rather than something that feels featherweight.

is quite the opposite.

In V they feel like huge unmovable rocks ,in IV they feel like tinfoil toys,it was really hard to feel IV vehicles heavy with the cars being so easy to be roll over,the butter metal of the cars and his ridiculous suspension.

in V they are the complete opposite, you can hit a Sissy with A Phantom and it will barely move (not that i'm defending V)

A middle ground between all vehicle aspects would be excellent.

ViceCityStalker

I feel like i`ve been here before in a similar thread a hundred times or more but i`ll bite.

I just hope rockstar can license this physics engine in their next GTA game,would make for awesome I think.

Edited by Mr Pickles
  • Like 1

oCrapaCreeper

Also, I hate how the cars can sometimes explode in V like when you fall and land upside down. It just kills a lot of the fun. They gave us a map full of mountains and took away the enjoyment of driving over them. Idiots.

In return though we have the ability to control the car while it's in the air to prevent that.

The car damage in v is horrible. it feels scripted and cars just stop dead in their tracks during a crash.

this is what we got

We were promised cars that are "glued to the ground" during pre-release. Most of your gifs show exactly that. Cars in V are specifically designed to not wobble around in crashes like in IV and keep on their wheels, that's why we have the ability to flip cars back up. Obviously that wasn't the case when the trailer that first gif came from got released. Old trailers aren't really a good representation anymore, things clearly got changed over time. The Hydra for example is seen at the end of the second trailer but was absent at release was only recently added to the game weeks ago because people begged for a VTOL jet.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper

In return though we have the ability to control the car while it's in the air to prevent that.

this is what we got

We were promised cars that are "glued to the ground" during pre-release. Most of your gifs show exactly that. Cars in V are specifically designed to not wobble around in crashes like in IV and keep on their wheels, that's why we have the ability to flip cars back up. Obviously that wasn't the case when the trailer that first gif came from got released. Old trailers aren't really a good representation anymore, things clearly got changed over time. The Hydra for example is seen at the end of the second trailer but was absent at release was only recently added to the game weeks ago because people begged for a VTOL jet.

Its not fun if the cars dont wobble and flip. Gta 4 had a much more cinematic crash system that might have been unrealistic but provided more entertainment when smashing cars together. Gta v has boring car crashes because they all behave the same with no unpredictability

• Like 2

PhillBellic

I feel like i`ve been here before in a similar thread a hundred times or more but i`ll bite.

I just hope rockstar can license this physics engine in their next GTA game,would make for awesome I think.

Have you seen this yet?

• Like 3

Regarding the cars stopping and not rebounding off when hit, would this be related to the ability for vehicles to cling to really steep surfaces like if you drive you car up the airport mega ramps and then get out, they stay there? Or even because of the action that happens when a police car rams you, that automatic swerve of your car you can't control.

It's not the same but I've found hitting the rusty abandoned shells of old cars gives them a satisfying push/knock, reminds me of sticking Satchel Bombs under the ones in GTA San Andreas and they would fly so far away. It sucks that things like the Dukes of Death plus Franklin is the only way to get some satisfying movement out of the traffic.

I like how the motorbikes can ramp up solid objects, like hedges (though it is unrealistic), but try it on a car and the same sort of dead stop is what happens, never realised it was probably because of the games vehicle to vehicle collision physics, although I seen someone posted a video of a bug/glitch where cars can drive over other cars in an unrealistic way, anyone know if this glitch means motorbikes can now launch up non ramp shaped vehicles?

Edited by Vertighost