2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Serious Nostalgia

Hoss Soss

I was playing GTA Online about an hour before the time of my writing this and I was driving around and taking pics of cars as I normally do when then it hit me. As I have heard the radio stations I have like over and over since this games release I find myself listening to my iPod more often, as I was cruising down the road it came on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU1jVR2Ktrc

Needless to say I was overcome with nostalgia. I got to thinking, as much as I like GTA 5 it's such a shallow experience compared to GTA4. I remember just chilling out on GTA4, people blowing each other's cars up, not with endless barrages of sticky bombs but rather with grenades and uzi's. There was no money and cars were disposable entirely. I remember hour long shoot outs fighting over the last Infernus after they all stopped spawning and when TBOGT came around everyone was always trying to control the yacht. And even though we fought I still feel like I never truly raged, the people were far more civil back then. Then there was the story, I never had felt anything like it before. I hated Dimitri Rascalov! I actually wanted him dead, the game spoke to me in ways that none other had. I remember Roman's Sorrow and then when the wedding day finally came around, I remember killing of Francis McCreary and Union Drive with Bernie Crane, fighting to keep my "boat-like" Turismo on the road in the face of flipping trucks. I love GTA4, it's such a shame that now it's just a relic of gaming past from the pre-micro-transaction era, a fossil overrun with modders and cheaters. I miss GTA4 a lot. Granted I am looking at it through rose tinted glasses but I am curious do any of you ever feel this way? What triggers your nostalgia? Is it "Goodbye Horses" or something different?

AuSsIeThUnDeR36

To be honest, that song just reminds me of that creepy scene in Silence of the Lambs, with the guy dressing up as a woman and prancing around. Still gives me the creeps to this day.

• Like 3

I remember this song played one time when driving to Algonquin with Eddie Low (first encounter). That was kinda creepy. ;)

• Like 3

Algonquin Assassin

GTA IV is very much a deeper game, than V.

GTA IV is a deep as an ocean. GTA V is a shallow as a puddle.

As for me I still remember the first time being able to walk around and the first thing I done was walk around Hove Beach, walking near the docks and being in awe looking at the Algonquin sky line.

GTA IV Signature V4 by Lettermaniac on DeviantArt

Sigh...I hope the people of this forum stay around for a long time, because we are a dying breed. And it hurts, a lot. I love playing IV...but it's bittersweet, when I realize that this was the pinnacle of the "HD" era. What does this mean for the GTA fan of today? Must we play online? SP's longevity wasn't really a focal point when developing V, so where does that leave me? Or us, for that matter?

PhillBellic

Sigh...I hope the people of this forum stay around for a long time, because we are a dying breed. And it hurts, a lot. I love playing IV...but it's bittersweet, when I realize that this was the pinnacle of the "HD" era. What does this mean for the GTA fan of today? Must we play online? SP's longevity wasn't really a focal point when developing V, so where does that leave me? Or us, for that matter?

We certainly are an endangered breed, my friend. I fear that the days of an, excellent, and extensive Single Player centric game are increasingly numbered. :(

Sigh...I hope the people of this forum stay around for a long time, because we are a dying breed. And it hurts, a lot. I love playing IV...but it's bittersweet, when I realize that this was the pinnacle of the "HD" era.

I couldn´t have said it better myself! :^: I´m a gamer for over 25 years now, but I´m feeling it will slowly come to an end. Online connection for consoles, it was like a slow-growing cancer. It didn´t hurt immediately, everything seemed fine, but it started growing and growing. Now we´ve reached the point when it hurts and sooner or later it will kill the gaming hobby for us "granddads".

Today we pay 60 bucks for incomplete games and have to wait for patches, hoping they won´t cause new problems. And everything is about online multiplayer, countless hours of precious development time for online multiplayer. It´s sad, but that´s exactly what most of the "21st century gamers" want. I know several gamers, most of them prefer online mulitplayer games...and some of them don´t even try the SP of a new game, they immediately jump into multiplayer.

As long as the old consoles are working (I even have an ancient NES which I fire up from time to time, just for the hell of it), I won´t give up gaming. I prefer really good old-ass games over most of today´s "online multiplayer...oh sh*t, we need a SP mode too, just for the sake of it" games.

Well I would hardly call myself a "grand dad" of gaming, I'm 17 years old! I have never felt a bigger generational gap in my life until the 13-14 year olds (not all of them) started getting into gaming...they just played online. Now I feel like a relic.

To put it metaphorically, I feel like I'm at a bus stop, and the bus just missed me. If that makes sense.

Some games feel useless nowadays when your internet isn't working.

Edited by Yu Jian

Amen to all of this. You know you're in trouble when you watch any "Popular" GTA5 YouTuber and they openly admit to not have played the career mode. People just want to play online which is a shame. I'm GTA5 it's like the story was just an after thought. In listening to the LRR playlist I have on my phone and it's running chills up my spine. GTA4 was magical, it was so dark and incredible and then TBOGT came out and blanched it out with over the top antics but even then it still seemed more real. Everything was just one hundred percent better.

Amen to all of this. You know you're in trouble when you watch any "Popular" GTA5 YouTuber and they openly admit to not have played the career mode. People just want to play online which is a shame. I'm GTA5 it's like the story was just an after thought. In listening to the LRR playlist I have on my phone and it's running chills up my spine. GTA4 was magical, it was so dark and incredible and then TBOGT came out and blanched it out with over the top antics but even then it still seemed more real. Everything was just one hundred percent better.

And you don't know how to say goodbye....

You make me want to cryyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I was at the convenience shop the other day to pick up some sweets, when Electric Light Orchestra - Evil Woman started playing through the shop's speakers. When the song started playing, I was immediately sent back to Liberty City. I was entranced in nostalgia; vivid memories of running from the LCPD in a Sabre GT while listening to LRR, fighting off NOOSE with an AK, and even holding out in Cluckin' Bell against the police where that very same song would sometimes play through the overhead speakers. IV's atmosphere and level of detail combined with its immersive storyline and purely enjoyable gameplay honestly humbles me. Everything seemed so perfect.

Edited by Inbred Walrus

Everytime I hear "Edge of Seventeen", I remember driving Roman's taxi trough Hove Beach. Memories.

• Like 2
fMNTnvL.png

HaythamKenway

To be honest, that song just reminds me of that creepy scene in Silence of the Lambs, with the guy dressing up as a woman and prancing around. Still gives me the creeps to this day.

Anyway, I have similar nostalgia flashbacks listening to IV's soundtrack and especially to LRR. 1979, Remedy, Fascination, One Vision, New York Groove to name a few... those songs will forever have a very special place in my heart. IV's soundtrack is easily the most underrated in the series.

Vice City criminal

It happens to me sometimes. Thank goodness I have my GTA IV Icon on my Desktop everytime Nostalgia takes over.

k36cck.jpg

Then there was the story, I never had felt anything like it before. I hated Dimitri Rascalov! I actually wanted him dead, the game spoke to me in ways that none other had. I remember Roman's Sorrow and then when the wedding day finally came around, I remember killing of Francis McCreary and Union Drive with Bernie Crane, fighting to keep my "boat-like" Turismo on the road in the face of flipping trucks. I love GTA4, it's such a shame that now it's just a relic of gaming past from the pre-micro-transaction era, a fossil overrun with modders and cheaters. I miss GTA4 a lot. Granted I am looking at it through rose tinted glasses but I am curious do any of you ever feel this way? What triggers your nostalgia? Is it "Goodbye Horses" or something different?

I agree with everything you just said, but especially what's in the above quote. I was in tears, f*cking tears (ok, I wasn't balling my eyes out, but you get the point) when Niko had to make that impossible choice, and one of his closest friends gets killed. This story actually tugged at my heartstrings, and unlike some people, I never felt like Niko was a hypocrite. I actually felt for the guy and wanted him to have a happy ending, which he never actually got. This was the first (and only) time a GTA game was actually able to make me feel genuine human emotions.

By the way, the best song on the rock stations is this one. ;)

I loved causing terror on the streets while listening to a song that is essentially about peace...and fried chicken. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4UNoECibYk

Edited by Killer Queen
  • Like 1
KillerQueen.gifZfyQr7F.png

My favorite song in the game. It makes the nostalgia hit me like a 10 ton bag of bricks.

• Like 2

Wolf of Badenoch

This was the first trailer for IV that I saw. Lord, the memories...

Edited by Wolf of Badenoch
  • Like 5

I remember driving around in my town with my mum and sister, and as my mum was about to turn the radio off, 1979 by the Smashing Pumpkins (which was my favourite band anyway) comes on. My sister, who listens to One Direction and other such mass produced modern pop sh*t, starts complaining and tries to turn it off, and I threatened to stall the car in the middle of the busy street if she did. So I happily listen to the song until it finishes, when my sister starts bitching at me and my mum tells me the 'heavy metal' was too hard. Nostalgia, son.

I remember driving around in my town with my mum and sister, and as my mum was about to turn the radio off, 1979 by the Smashing Pumpkins (which was my favourite band anyway) comes on. My sister, who listens to One Direction and other such mass produced modern pop sh*t, starts complaining and tries to turn it off, and I threatened to stall the car in the middle of the busy street if she did. So I happily listen to the song until it finishes, when my sister starts bitching at me and my mum tells me the 'heavy metal' was too hard. Nostalgia, son.

I have no words on how I feel about your mother calling a very soft song heavy metal. Now, if it were Zero or X.Y.U., I could understand.

• Like 2

ClaudeTheMan

IV was really a stunning, breathtaking game. V isn't even in the same league. The detail, the story, the soundtrack, the specific way that bodies "ragdolled" and how cars handled... I could go on forever. It's just beautiful. It's definitely my favorite GTA, followed by III.

It's sad that V seems to have been "dumbed down" for everybody complaining about the tone of IV.

Edited by Paul_Heyman
  • Like 11

CarnageRacing00

GTA IV is very much a deeper game, than V.

GTA IV is a deep as an ocean. GTA V is a shallow as a puddle.

I'd love to hear your thesis on this.

Unless you'll admit upfront that you're exaggerating.

IV was really a stunning, breathtaking game. V isn't even in the same league. The detail, the story, the soundtrack, the specific way that bodies "ragdolled" and how cars handled... I could go on forever. It's just beautiful. It's definitely my favorite GTA, followed by III.

It's sad that V seems to have been "dumbed down" for everybody complaining about the tone of IV.

A few things were dumbed down... ragdolls aren't one of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8WlX9mBffI

They've been made much, much better than in IV. Bodies actually appear to have bone and muscle now and don't just turn into limp noodles the moment they're knocked off their feet.

I suppose it's more hilarious looking in IV to send a body flying, but it's far more realistic looking in V.

Edited by MichiganMuscle77

Playing IV til like 3 or 4 am in the morning driving through Duke's and then hearing this come on

Really takes me back it feels like the night is just getting started in LC Fushion FM really had some good tracks

But what really gets me is this

Driving through Algonquin at night and listening to that man...

Edited by Zello
  • Like 1

I have no words on how I feel about your mother calling a very soft song heavy metal. Now, if it were Zero or X.Y.U., I could understand.

Oh, Tonight, Tonight and Rhinoceros were 'too hard' for her inncoent little ears too, she told me after I played them once.

Edited by Hocko1999_fgc

SpooferJahk

I have nostalgia of IV, but sadly not of good nostalgia. I remember when I first played it I HATED it, I really did, coming off of San Andreas I was expecting more of that but on a bigger scale. IV had the scale, but was more serious and dry than San Andreas which disappointed me at the time. I have grown to love it over time though, since I am an adult who can take in and understand the story compared to me then when I was a stupid teenager who expected more happy go lucky fun like San Andreas provided.

• Like 2

That's funny because one of the "softer" songs from Smashing Pumpkins' catalogue. I'm glad I don't have any "Directioners" or "Beliebers" I have to deal with daily haha.

• Like 3