2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Map Layout

Choco Taco

A while back, I created and posted a different map layout - http://i.imgur.com/9fcHb2Y.jpg

'CheckOutMyMixtape666' re-created the GTA V map in Cities:Skylines and posted the pics in this thread - http://gtaforums.com/topic/777578-recreated-san-andreas-on-cities-skylines/

I used one of his pictures to show how my map layout would look...

NBnEnhi.jpgUWrULqB.jpg

animated - http://i.imgur.com/9oGIh1z.gif

this map is 50 times better than the one we got.

bigger desert

bigger forest

less cluttered mountains

bigger paleto

just look at all the flat land near zancudo, look at the desert and how realistic it is secluded to one side and not smushed up between green hills and a large lake.

based on variation alone the map would provide more fun, when you drive from los santos to paleto you see the same thing, but with choco taco's map you pass a desert, a forest and several lakes. its beautiful.

zlb3lx.png

Edited by zuckmeslow

bigger desert

bigger forest

less cluttered mountains

bigger paleto

just look at all the flat land near zancudo, look at the desert and how realistic it is secluded to one side and not smushed up between green hills and a large lake.

based on variation alone the map would provide more fun, when you drive from los santos to paleto you see the same thing, but with choco taco's map you pass a desert, a forest and several lakes. its beautiful.

zlb3lx.png

lol... fifty times better. Right.

The fact that you put "wasted land" on R*'s map, yet totally ignoring all of that forest on his map is just ignorance. R*'s map is better other than the small desert. Mt chilliad should be that big. It needed to live up to San Andreas' chilliad. To the person who did that render, Im not knocking on you at all. Thats an amazing job.

Edited by ZHPbim
  • Like 3

Vs map gives me the impression that it was built with two different modes of game in mind, namely, the more you move away from the city, the more it feels like its just bigger for the sake of it. Its like the parts of the map in and around the city were reserved particularly for the story, while the areas outside of the city are just supposed to be the playground for ONLINE fun.

Just not as interesting as I thought it would be for such a massive scale, nor even as memorable as the maps featured in their previous games.

• Like 1

bigger desert

bigger forest

less cluttered mountains

bigger paleto

zlb3lx.png

The fact that you put "wasted land" on R*'s map, yet totally ignoring all of that forest on his map is just ignorance. R*'s map is better other than the small desert. Mt chilliad should be that big. It needed to live up to San Andreas' chilliad. To the person who did that render, Im not knocking on you at all. Thats an amazing job.

San andreas' chilliad had a road going around it and it had a log cabin. gta v mount chilliad is a volcano looking waste of space that has a garbage trail and a boring tramway.

The forest in choco taco's map is actually needed for immersion. Gta v barely has a forest and i marked the great chaparral as wasted land because there is nothing of interest in that area. its just a bunch of hills. Atleast in a forest you can get lost and go hunting

• Like 2

The Dedito Gae

I prefer the original Senora desert,one thing i hated about SA's map was the desert being close the ocean.

Mount Chilliad looked better on top.

Spot on removing that stupid mountain full of cannibbals.

San andreas' chilliad had a road going around it and it had a log cabin. gta v mount chilliad is a volcano looking waste of space that has a garbage trail and a boring tramway.

At least it looks like a real mountain,not only because of the graphics but because of the shape and such,tere was nothing to do in that cabin you mention,hd Mount Chilliad is perfect to skydiving or throw yourself of a car of the highest point. Edited by Midnight Hitman
  • Like 1

I have no problem with the size of Paleto, however it's always dead over there and the kids hanging out on the beach look bored.

CheckOutMyMixtape666

I didn't recreate the map. Simply found it browsing Reddit and thought you all would like.

• Like 1

Lock n' Stock

I have to agree that the desert should have been better on the very right, and larger as well. The fact they called it the "Grand Senora" raises questions. Even the desert on San Andreas felt bigger though that's probably only because it had a low depth of field.

Edited by G.S.T

I have my problems with how the map of GTA V turned out, you all know that and I've explained it several times ... still this doesn't stop me from the worst parts and most annoying of the map.

Mt Chiliad is a waste of space that could have easily been used for a dense forest to get lost in, instead Rockstar gave us a big ass mountain with no play value (to me). Mt Chiliad from GTA SA had some nice trials going up to the top and a bike challenge to take part in. V's Mt Chiliad was described as a fully explorable mountain ... I don't know what Rockstar promised us there, it turned out being a f*cking stupid moutain with a single trail leading up to it where you can't even manage to drive up bigger vehicles.

The countryside is simply bad and not what I expected at all. I thought it would gave me a Red Dead like feel but hell how wrong I was. I thought you could get lost in the countryside but turns out it's just a big place of nothing really.

Rockstar had one thing to do with GTA V to make this the ultimate GTA to date. Re-create the city of Los Angeles, San Francisco and Las Vegas for the GTA HD era, get some big countryside (enjoyable countryside!) with little towns between the three cities, get in tons of side activities and random encounters and give us a great story. Michael's story starts in LS, Franklin's in SF and Trevor is somewhere in the desert near LV. It's basically 3 seperate stories until you reach a certain point (all three characters have the same goal ... a big heist) where all three have to team up to pull off a very big heist ... you can switch around the characters at any point when not on a mission and it involves NO loading. A simple multiplayer like in GTA IV and the best GTA this would have been.

Instead Rockstar gave us this ... I will never get over the map mistakes and story failure they've pulled off here, sorry.

• Like 5

The desert isn't very interactive in it's current state, making it bigger would just exacerbate that problem. The map has plenty of areas of nothingness, even if they are not isolated. If there is a part of the map that needs looking at it's the city.

Edited by NDH92

bigger desert

bigger forest

less cluttered mountains

bigger paleto

zlb3lx.png

The forest in choco taco's map is actually needed for immersion. Gta v barely has a forest and i marked the great chaparral as wasted land because there is nothing of interest in that area. its just a bunch of hills. Atleast in a forest you can get lost and go hunting

Somebody has never been to South Cali i see, or at least bother to take a look at pictures of it.

I find it amusing when people complain about "wasted land" while at the same time complaining that there's not enough desert.

Anyway, my biggest problem with V's map is that they seriously shortchanged Los Santos.

Edited by Waldie
  • Like 1

bigger desert

bigger forest

less cluttered mountains

bigger paleto

zlb3lx.png

Somebody has never been to South Cali i see, or at least bother to take a look at pictures of it.

I have been to socal. have you been to socal?

Real southern california has mountain ranges and towns spread about. This game is just compressed mountains and several towns smashed together.

banning_bench.jpg

see, that is a socal mountain range, but instead we got mount fuji

mt+chiliad.jpg

mount_fuji.jpeg

Real socal mountains

628x471.jpg

it would just be a shorter chilliad mixed with josiah. instead of looking like a weird mt fuji mutation it would look like an actual socal mountain range. leaving the other areas of the map flat and open giving us a real desert and open farmlands, not to mention the fact that the mountains in the middle will have hiking trails and small dirt roads, and a nice river breaking off into rapids.

This is socal. Heading towards the salton sea

highway-111.jpg

This is the surface of the moon

LO2_Copernicus_720X450.jpg

This is gta v

Route_1_Northern_Terminus.jpg

Its nothing but compressed land

Edited by zuckmeslow
  • Like 4

BS_BlackScout

"But instead we got Mount Fuji"

ROFL

Well, my point of view regarding V map...

I have to agree that Mt. Chilliad is a great space taker, the desert could be bigger and the lake has a weird shape.

Paleto Bay is a small cluster, could be bigger too.

Fort Zancudo and the surrounding regions are the most weird thing in this whole map, at least, that's how I see it...

I feel the lack of a great forest and the lack of some small towns, Paleto is cool, but I wish there was another of this kind...

Some people believe there will be a Map Expansion in the future with the Next-Gen and PC Versions...

I hope this ends up really happening, so we can reach out newer regions to explore and not only be limited to LS and Blaine County...

PS: I have some concerns about East Los Santos and the whole Los Santos design, feels like there isn't enough residential areas, but there is a lot of people on the streets...

Where do they live? LMAO

Edited by BlackScout
  • Like 2

ManularChimera

Map extension is almost impossible, R* would need to redesign tons of missions. But damn I want it to happen!

Edited by ManularChimera

The biggest joke is that Rockstar promoted this as their biggest playground to date. What a joke that is, but maybe they had GTA Online in mind all the time, then it's true, it's their biggest playground for kids who do nothing but cry over the lack of Hydras, cruise around the map in bs super-cars which GTA V is full of and kill randoms and talk bs via their headset.

I have so many problems how GTA V turned out. Rockstar focuses on all the bs super-cars and doesn't seem to care for the classic GTA cars at all. No, I mean why would they, kids love to show their chrome super cars in GTA Online, they love to make selfies of them so why change that focus??? I mean the parents buy these kids GTA V a thousand times, for PS3, for PS4 and maybe for PC too so it's a lot of money for Rockstar so they can support the kids with their chrome updates and bs super cars and bs live streams, etc.

Give us a damn singleplayer experience R*. Don't make the same mistake as Activision, Ubisoft, etc. did. It gets you nowhere but makes the gamers angry and forget about the kids. Let them suffer, they don't deserve to play your games ... all they seem to care about is GTA Online, wowhowhowhowhw have you seen the new GTA Online update, it's amazing, new chrome updates for the cars, whwohwohwowhwohwo. Now f*ck them, they aren't even allowed to play your masterpieces and they don't know anything about Rockstar Games at all. Once I asked someone so who developed GTA V or GTA IV? He said no idea, who cares and laughed. I told him Rockstar Games! What other games do you know from them? He told me CoD. Me was like: now f*ck off you idiot!

I get so angry about them kids who play adult videogames just for the sake of being cool. Nowadays kids changed a lot ... to the worse. I myself played GTA San Andreas and GTA III as a kid, but I knew exactly who was the developer and what other games they made. I never cared for f*cking bs multiplayer stuff, and that's why Rockstar Games was at best when multiplayer didn't even exist, well in fact they were best since Max Payne 3 came out. Then they started with this pre-order bonuses sh*t already. Get sth extra if you pre-order from here, get another thing extra if you pre-order from there ... OMG f*ck this sh*t.

I want the old Rockstar back!!! The one from 2010, the one from 2004, the one from 2001, ... but NOT the one from 2013, 2014! Let's see what the future brings us.

• Like 4

Noticed the bigger forest almost immediately. Nice, it's a good start. And btw in something off topic it took me months to find the chrome sports car in single player (responding to a chrome car comment earlier in this thread.)

The biggest joke is that Rockstar promoted this as their biggest playground to date. What a joke that is

Please explain in what way it isn't their biggest playground? And please try doing so without resorting to another tired rant about how horrid the youth of today are even though you yourself are only 20 years old.

It actually is their biggest playground in terms of size, yes. But personally I find the map layout kinda disappointing, too.

It doesn't feel big at all. While it's technically very big because it has more realistic sizings, GTA V's map is focussing on a very small area (compared to old SA for example, which tried to recreate a whole state). Half of the map is Los Santos and the area behind Vinewood Hills while the rest of Blaine County feels more like an industrial outskirt of the city. I think this is the reason the whole map doesn't feel like a SoCal state, to me at least.

Edited by Mintal
  • Like 1

It actually is their biggest playground in terms of size, yes. But personally I find the map layout kinda disappointing, too.

It doesn't feel big at all. While it's technically very big because it has more realistic sizings, GTA V's map is focussing on a very small area (compared to old SA for example, which tried to recreate a whole state). Half of the map is Los Santos and the area behind Vinewood Hills while the rest of Blaine County feels more like an industrial outskirt of the city. I think this is the reason the whole map doesn't feel like a SoCal state, to me at least.

But that's because the original San Andreas was like a cartoonish checklist of locations it's based off, and you can only take incorrect scale and proportions of GTA games so far. It seems way more sensible to have two main counties blending together, with all the individual off road, industrial, residential and defined areas in a large space as means to have fun, rather than having 8 in a smaller area, all being abruptly divided by a river or a single street.

There's a very different sense of scale in GTA V, true you can't travel between cities, but in SA, you can start in downtown LS, drive north for literally 20 seconds, passing rural towns and 400 foot trees, cross a bridge and you're now it the desert city of LV.

But in GTA V, you can start in downtown LS, drive north for about 40 seconds and you still on you way out of the city, drive for another 40 seconds and now you're approaching Grapeseed, the kind of town that's only a few hundred feet away from LS in the original game.

That zuckmeslow mong mentions that GTA V is all smashed together, and that happens in pretty much every openworld game that isn't trying to literally recreate a realistic scale, but in comparison, SA is a joke in trying to depict any from real life, even though I do really love that game.

bigger desert

bigger forest

less cluttered mountains

bigger paleto

zlb3lx.png

I have been to socal. have you been to socal?

Real southern california has mountain ranges and towns spread about. This game is just compressed mountains and several towns smashed together.

banning_bench.jpg

see, that is a socal mountain range, but instead we got mount fuji

mt+chiliad.jpg

mount_fuji.jpeg

Real socal mountains

628x471.jpg

it would just be a shorter chilliad mixed with josiah. instead of looking like a weird mt fuji mutation it would look like an actual socal mountain range. leaving the other areas of the map flat and open giving us a real desert and open farmlands, not to mention the fact that the mountains in the middle will have hiking trails and small dirt roads, and a nice river breaking off into rapids.

This is socal. Heading towards the salton sea

highway-111.jpg

This is the surface of the moon

LO2_Copernicus_720X450.jpg

This is gta v

Senora_Freeway.jpg

Its nothing but compressed land

Actually the desert region is on the east of California. Although R* version of San Andreas doesn't really make sense. It's still tries to make it more accurate than ever. The only desert counties in SoCal are Imperial County, Riverside County, San Bernardino, and Kern County. The west part of SoCal is more semi-desert or coastal. That includes, San Diego County, Orange County, Los Angeles County, a bit Ventura County, and a bit of Santa Barbara County. North of SoCal is more forrest area since this is how NorCal is. The counties include a bit of Ventura County, a bit of Santa Barbara County, and San Luis Obispo. I think what R* should've done are 3 counties since Paleto Bay is based of a city in Ventura County. There's a bridge on the highway which accurately represents the Bixby Bridge (I honestly don't even know what it's doing there). If the Bixby Bridge is located further north (it's north of San Luis Obispo County, which this county isn't even in the game), that means it isn't part of the SoCal region. R* GTA V's map is very complicated because Blaine County is a combination of more than one county (Imperial County, Riverside County, Ventura County, and possibly San Bernardino County). To be honest I don't even think I even know what I am talking about anymore since it's very complicated. The first pic you post I believe is in the Coachella Valley?

Also, why is the Alamo Sea on the north? Shouldn't it be on the south? The real life Salton Sea is on the south-east.

Pretty cool map, though I still prefer Gifbrah's map more.

Edited by D9fred95

burger_mike

Pretty cool map, though I still prefer Gifbrah's map more.

this has nothing to do with that