Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,122 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

universetwisters

GTAWikia essay

RedDagger

might be a reference

probably indicating

I think that's your answer right there ;)

GrudgefromSanAndreas

might be a reference

probably indicating

I think that's your answer right there ;)

I thought it's copyright infringement like i shouldn't have mentioned ".xls extension" and "Microsoft Office Excel"

Monkeypolice188

They deleted a contribution in gta wikia i made and idk why, it was in the XLS article and here it is:

Trivia

The name might be a reference to the .xls extension used by the program Microsoft Office Excel, probably indicating the superiority of the XLS to other SUVs.

What relevance does a Microsoft Office programme have to a luxury 4-door SUV in GTA? And how does it indicate superiority? Considering "XL" has synonyms with extra-large in cars, XS can refer to extra small or generally just excess, LS can refer to luxury sport, I'd say its just a mashup of car terms, or just a careless attempt at classifying a car.

There's a whole debate on what XLS stands for, because its used as a model name for numerous cars. http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/154-1st-generation-1995-1999/98317-what-do-xl-xls-stand.html

Seriously, people complain about having their content removed, but when a piece of information includes "probably", "possibly" or "maybe a reference", it should either be SERIOUSLY thought about, CITED, or just removed.

Edited by Monkeypolice188

universetwisters

tbqh if I saw that as a "reference", I'd delete it immediately and then complain about it here. That's not a reference, that's just a six degrees of separation-esque line of drivel.

That's like saying "The SUV is a reference to the Dilbert comics because the Legendary Motorsport description mentions board meetings and Dilbert goes to board meetings in comics" or some other equally silly thing.

Edited by universetwisters

Monkeypolice188

tbqh if I saw that as a "reference", I'd delete it immediately and then complain about it here. That's not a reference, that's just a six degrees of separation-esque line of drivel.

That's like saying "The SUV is a reference to the Dilbert comics because the Legendary Motorsport description mentions board meetings and Dilbert goes to board meetings in comics" or some other equally silly thing.

An excellent way of putting it. Putting that in my content bucket. Love it. :)

GrudgefromSanAndreas

And how does it indicate superiority?

I searched for the verb "excel" in dictionary.com and it said:

verb (used without object), excelled, excelling.

to surpass others or be superior in some respect or area; doextremely well:
to excel in math.
verb (used with object), excelled, excelling.
to surpass; be superior to; outdo:
He excels all other poets of his day.

Irrational

@GrudgefromSanAndreas

First I was gonna congratulate you because I thought you did that edit sarcastically, trying to mimmick them; then I was gonna disapprove of it because although funny, you shouldn't make the Wikia even worse with vandalism; then I saw you were legitimate about that edit; now I think you're challenged.

GrudgefromSanAndreas

Now i realised i was too rash and imprecise! I should've written:

"The name might be a reference to the program Microsoft Office Excel and its extension ".xls". Judging by the meaning of the word "excel", the XLS is superior to other SUVs in most aspects" (i'm not sure about durability)

or

"The name might be a reference to the word "excel", meaning "to be superior to sb/sth", and the extension ".xls" used by the program Microsoft Office Excel"

Seems like i'm like Epimetheus lately

universetwisters

Maybe you shouldn't be trying to force a connection between a fictional vehicle and office software and do something more productive with your free time.

Monkeypolice188

I still don't understand how excel links to the SUV we have in-game. The car is hardly excelling.

GrudgefromSanAndreas

Well, it's either, like Irrational said, sarcastic or rather ironic

GrudgefromSanAndreas

Nevermind

Monkeypolice188 you're probably right with your answer

Edited by GrudgefromSanAndreas

Femme Fatale

A long time ago, someone in a different thread posted a screen pic of the beta topic with everything erased, and the words: "Guys help, I was trying to make an edit!" Or something like that. Funny as hell, but did it really happen?

universetwisters

A long time ago, someone in a different thread posted a screen pic of the beta topic with everything erased, and the words: "Guys help, I was trying to make an edit!" Or something like that. Funny as hell, but did it really happen?

You could probably check the history for all the beta pages and see which one would fit that criteria.

Also is merely having a picture of a car on lifeinvader enough to have that car listed in an infobox?

Femme Fatale

How do you check the history?

Probably not.

universetwisters

How do you check the history?

eWhJQWP.png

Hot Pursuit

"The beta mission of "Stowaway" was that Carl would use the bike, get on the plane, but then had to sneak past the agents, and kill the plane's pilot, CJ would then take control, and fly about a mile outside Area 69. CJ would then grab a parachute, and bail out, with the agents shooting at him (the explosives for some purpose won't explode) then a cutscene would play of Carl opening his parachute, then the cutscene would turn to the Andromada, still in flight, flying over Area 69, a missile from a SAM missile launcher would be launched, and it would then hit the Andromada, causing it to crash in the desert, and pass the mission. CJ also flew about a mile outside the base because the plane is so fast, he wouldn't be able to bail out in the nick of time"

- gtawikia.com/stowaway

Firstly, their writing wasn't informative, like it was stolen from some fanmade mission. Secondly, there's some error ( explosive didn't work ) and it says first "flying away from Area 69.....Flying over Area 69" and also, if the plane was too fast then it's impossible for the SAM missile to hit it, proving more that this is Stolen from some fanmade mission, and thirdly , there's a little copypaste from Minor Turbulence

Femme Fatale

You noticed that too, huh? Lol.

Carbonox

I really enjoy reading the trivia portions sometimes, but who the hell thought this was a necessary addition?

Dropping In: "The way Timur accompanies Luis is similar to Dimitri accompanying Niko in the Grand Theft Auto IV mission Do You Have Protection?"

universetwisters

Man, I thought they were getting better at weeding sh*t like that out, at least as far as not seeing this thread pop up about it goes.

Hot Pursuit

"Route 68 was originally going to be named Route 69."

Hot Pursuit

I recall seeing a thing in Niko Bellic thread trivia that already got removed. It reads like this or similar: Niko Bellic LifeInvader profile picture appear similar to the picture on GTAWikia one, it is possible that R* visit this wikia

GrudgefromSanAndreas

I recall seeing a thing in Niko Bellic thread trivia that already got removed. It reads like this or similar: Niko Bellic LifeInvader profile picture appear similar to the picture on GTAWikia one, it is possible that R* visit this wikia

Dafuq? :blink:

universetwisters

It was. The wikia had a great big circlejerk about it for weeks upon realizing that.

Hullian111

GrandTheftWiki never really spoke to me. The UI just didn't seem user-friendly, and the information was sparse at points.

Although I do remember being told on GTA Wiki that at a station, a fire alarm may go off, and everyone would leave. That info was deleted, because it was 'misleading', but 11-year-old me believed in it, spending in-game hours down in the subway. Here's the log: http://gta.wikia.com/wiki/Subway_in_GTA_IV?diff=464305&oldid=464304

There was also this video of a fire alarm at Hove Beach, but I think it got taken down. Will find.

EDIT: Here's the vid:

After all those years, it was a strategically-placed police car.

Myth? Busted.

Edited by Hullian111

Hot Pursuit

Irrational

Well, sure, that's why Asuka was still spanking Miguel until the very end of the storyline.

universetwisters

B76GjLP.png

>using the "images" section as your personal art gallery

What do you think of this practice as shown with the an old edit of Franklin's page? I mean technically it's still pictures of Franklin but then again they're all from the same dude sooooo

Hot Pursuit

B76GjLP.png

>using the "images" section as your personal art gallery

What do you think of this practice as shown with the an old edit of Franklin's page? I mean technically it's still pictures of Franklin but then again they're all from the same dude sooooo

LMAO, Franklin doing yoga

EddieLTU

why nobody has called out those assholes who run that wiki, they've denied my corrections to some cars that had misnamed engine sounds.