2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

we should be able to let the hydra hover while out of it.

Coyteria

What I mean is put the hydra on hover park and get out of the cock pit to stand on top. Should be able to stand on top of vehicles without rag dolling as well.

Dirty Hairy

Quick! Someone put up a a harrier gif from true lies! I'm on phone so I can't get to it right now.

What I mean is put the hydra on hover park and get out of the cock pit to stand on top. Should be able to stand on top of vehicles without rag dolling as well.

Quick! Someone put up the Picard / Riker double face palm image.

OfficialTwiggz

And when you fall off, its stuck up there HAHAHAHAHAHA, YOU LITTLE JET GREIFER.

Jokes, but no. Stupid idea.

Commander S

Nope - because it's not some sci-fi hovercraft that'll magically auto-stabilise when no-one's at the controls.

It's particularly bad with a real-life Harrier - if one of the jets fails, you're going to have problems using them to land. Think of it like having a chair with four legs, and then somebody sawing one of them off...

Is this ability even possible in a real life VTOL jet? I'm no pilot but would assume someone would need to be controlling it and stabilising it against the wind.

Ballistic Jello

It's particularly bad with a real-life Harrier - if one of the jets fails, you're going to have problems using them to land. Think of it like having a chair with four legs, and then somebody sawing one of them off...

And..the chair goes several hundred miles an hour, and weighs 15,000 pounds.

• Like 2
2rqkacm.jpg

According to pilots, flying the Harrier is akin to trying to balance two balls, one on top of the other. It requires a great deal of constant control input. One of the design requirements for the X-35 JSF was to simplify the controls, so it doesn't matter if the aircraft is hovering or flying conventionally, the pilot inputs are the same. Computers handle all the fine points of stabilized flight. If a pilot lets go, it will automatically stabilize in hover.

• Like 2

Quick! Someone put up a a harrier gif from true lies! I'm on phone so I can't get to it right now.

kGznFtI.gif

Couldn't find one of the scene where he rescues someone off a crane, but oh well. Close enough.

And if you fall off of it while it's hovering, how exactly would you get back on? Take a helicopter or another Hydra back up to it? Jump off a building and parachute onto it? This sounds like stuff that fits more in line with Just Cause, not GTA.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

the only way, i can see this any way useful, is if you want to leave it parked next to the top of the maze bank building while you just etc, there, then hop back in.

or if you plan on sniping people while an empty hydra does not draw any H.Missiles at your direction, or firing flares. or your own personal fireworks show

which makes it very pointless to the point that it seems like if it where some cartoony show, where anything is possible, like some S.Row wannabe.

Edited by GTKING1st

Is this ability even possible in a real life VTOL jet? I'm no pilot but would assume someone would need to be controlling it and stabilising it against the wind.

Not a nozzle failure, but still shows how the delicate balance to maintain a hover. The pilot inadvertently moved the nozzles while in hover, and didn't correct in time.

• Like 2

Commander S

But GTA is the future of modern day. So it can happen.

Er, no - it's the present (or even the past, if we take the events of single-player to be in late 2013 when the game was released, and GTAO an unspecified time shortly before). Basically, it's the mid-late 2010s for all intents and purposes.

...which would make the Hydra yesterday's news, not 'future tech', because we're already beyond four-jet VTOLs, and working instead using a single large jet for increased stability and control:

And even then, it still requires a massive amount of CONSTANT fine-tuning by the pilot to keep it stable.

(heck, even helicopters need that - from a gameplay point of view, it's easier to let the things hover stationary without any player input, but in real life, chopper pilots have to continually make minor movements to keep the aircraft stable. Trust me - I've done it in the real-life equivalent of the non-combat Buzzard, and it requires a massive amount of concentration to keep on top of changing winds and everything else, so it's a small mercy that R* doesn't have aircraft careen out of control into the ground as soon as you release the controls...)

But GTA is the future of modern day. So it can happen.

...which would make the Hydra yesterday's news, not 'future tech', because we're already beyond four-jet VTOLs, and working instead using a single large jet for increased stability and control:

Not to nitpick...but the Harrier was also a single jet engine, ducted to 4 nozzles. The F-35 is also ducted into the wings plus the vertical ducted fan behind the pilot.

Edited by Kerberos42

Irish O'African

F*ck no, kid. That's a stupid idea.

Edited by ProLaps

It appears that the OP has never heard of turbulence.

I'd welcome this. And it wouldn't necessarily be pointless, just fun. Fun, fun, fun. Pure f*cking fun. GTA5 has a huge problem of realism in the wrong parts.

They also need to go ahead and make it so you don't fall off when hovering, don't die when landing a bike from a skyscraper (this is the first GTA to do this btw), and not slide off when jumping off of a ledge.

CarimboHanky

Not a nozzle failure, but still shows how the delicate balance to maintain a hover. The pilot inadvertently moved the nozzles while in hover, and didn't correct in time.

oooohh thats 30millions down the drain!

yeah lets go by real life here because you know I carry 16 guns in my pockets and 1 million rounds up my ass -.-

^ Just a question dude. Chillax. At no point did I say GTA was a simulation and had to be 100% realistic.

Lol that scene is what I thought of after reading the main post.

Commander S

^ Just a question dude. Chillax. At no point did I say GTA was a simulation and had to be 100% realistic.

Yeah - GTA's basically less 'absolute realism' than 'verisimilitude'. So characters do the videogame thing where they pull guns out of a magical void in space, and the controls are simplified to an 'arcade-y' enough degree that a jump jet doesn't require constant compensation for air currents and minute fluctuations in the individual jets, just to stay airborne...

But on the other hand, if a pistol in the game is modelled on and described as a semi-automatic, then it can't be expected to suddenly switch to full-auto, just because 'it's a videogame and anything goes'. Likewise, the Hydra's a conventional jump jet based on existing real-world tech, and thus doesn't have some magic new sci-fi onboard computer that allows the pilot to go walkabout and still keep flying.

Basically, it ain't this:

tpd7PfW.png

We Are Ninja

"Ghost-ride the whip".