2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

What's the deal with proximity mines?

WarnerKiller

WarnerKiller

Hi folks, I'm just looking for tips on how Proximity Mines work, as most of the time they don't seem to work for me.

For example, the other day I was driving around in my PV Insurgent when some guy in a Kuruma starts following me and trying to blow me up. So I drive into a multistorey car park and he follows me. So I drive back down the ramps and throw a sticky on the wall in one of the narrow ramp areas. Guaranteed kill, or so I thought. As I emerge from the car park I wait to hear the explosion, but instead the Kuruma appears behind me. Huh?

Then last night a friend and I were having some fun in FM with the Pegasus Insurgent. After a few hit from stickies and RPGs I decided to ditch it, but thought I'd put a proximity mine on it for good measure. I opened the passenger door and threw it on the inside of the door to hide it. Sure enough, somebody gets in it once I'm just down the road... But again no explosion.

On the flip side, a few weeks back my friend threw a proximity mine down outside of the main LSC (without mentioning it) and despite the fact that he was all the way over by the heli port nearer the LSC in bottom left of the map, it still blew up when I unwittingly drove over it.

So what's the deal with proximity mines? Is there a "criteria" for them to explode? Is there a range that you need to be in for them to work, or could you plant one at the airport at the bottom of the map and run off to the far north without it vanishing?

Thanks

Lag... is a bitch.

Its just like when you head shot someone and they die 3 seconds later...

Same thing... They probably lagged right by your proxi. I see it all the time.

Edited by HulioG
  • Like 2

they used to be great, set off as soon as a person passed over them. Now they are pretty f*cking useless.

Don't place them in obvious places. Walls work as well as the ground.

• Like 2

Wildfire_08

Use sticky bombs instead, proximities are a waste of time.

Sticky bombs will always be king, because putting them halfway down ladders, and inside peoples cars just before shutting the door is always funny.

Watching someone pull over, get off the bike, place a proxy, getting back on the bike, the proxy goes off.

Suicide by proxy.

• Like 1

WarnerKiller

That's the point though - I did put the proximity mine on the inside of the door, so surely lag shouldn't make any difference? In both instances I killed them with a good ol' sticky straight after, so they weren't in passive, either.

That's the point though - I did put the proximity mine on the inside of the door, so surely lag shouldn't make any difference? In both instances I killed them with a good ol' sticky straight after, so they weren't in passive, either.

Maybe a NPC set it off? That happens too.

Furry_Monkey

Sticky bombs will always be king, because putting them halfway down ladders, and inside peoples cars just before shutting the door is always funny.

I would agree if they hadn't been ridiculously nerfed. Drive more than a couple of blocks away and they disappear.

I've had proximity mine kills about 1/2 an hour after dropping them, and had to stop and think how I'd got the kill. They don't disappear when you die, or if you leave the area. You literally can get a kill at the airport while you're in Paleto Bay.

I'd say that if you're staying in the area then use a sticky. If not then use a proximity mine.

WarnerKiller

That's where I put the first one that I mentioned. From my experience it should have been impossible for him to drive down that ramp without it going off, even if he hugged the opposite wall.

Then I go flat out in my Kuruma over a proximity mine... Insta-death... Huh?

I would agree if they hadn't been ridiculously nerfed. Drive more than a couple of blocks away and they disappear.

I've had proximity mine kills about 1/2 an hour after dropping them, and had to stop and think how I'd got the kill. They don't disappear when you die, or if you leave the area. You literally can get a kill at the airport while you're in Paleto Bay.

I'd say that if you're staying in the area then use a sticky. If not then use a proximity mine.

Thanks. I did wonder about that. I assumed you had to be close, else they'd vanish. I also assumed they disappeared when you die.

One time I put one on a guy's car (not even a PV) whilst he was in a clothing shop. I was less than a block away and watched him walk out, get in the car and drive off... Like, huh?

sweetmanRyan

You need to be far more skilled to effectively use the proximity mine as opposed to the sticky.

That's where I put the first one that I mentioned. From my experience it should have been impossible for him to drive down that ramp without it going off, even if he hugged the opposite wall.

Thats just lag right there. It happens...alot.

WarnerKiller

Maybe a NPC set it off? That happens too.

Nah, the Insurgent was on the road and already making the rattly noise that let's you know that one more hit will kill it. I doubt an NPC would have set it off when the mine was on the inside of the door, but if one had it would have destroyed the Insurgent.

You need to be far more skilled to effectively use the proximity mine as opposed to the sticky.

Please enlighten us then. How can I be more skilled at affixing a proximity mine to the inside of a car, well within its trigger range?

smokingndriving

I've watched lately as people have driven over prox mines and they either don't go off or take a ridiculous amount of delay before going off. Lag? Whatever it is, I don't use them as much anymore.

they have been nerfed, its not lag.

Lag is lag... tho. So if its lag.. its lag.

I've sticky bombed areas and watch people drive through it and not blow up even tho they are clearly right inside the blast radius. Because on my screen they are on the sticky bomb. On their screen they are past it. Hence they are not effected.

Same goes with proxis'. If they lag to your connection while driving over it they won't set it off.

WarnerKiller

You say that, but I drove over one last night and got blown straight up. Wasn't hanging about either.(In reply to Panick Attacker's post saying they had been nerfed.)

Is there a delay after you set them? That could have saved the Kuruma guy maybe, but the guy who got in my Insurgent, I have no idea why that didn't go off. He was driving around with it stuck to the inside of his passenger door!

Edited by WarnerKiller

You say that, but I drove over one last night and got blown straight up. Wasn't hanging about either.

You had a good connection to the player who planted it during that moment if its going off asap.

Edited by HulioG

WarnerKiller

You say that, but I drove over one last night and got blown straight up. Wasn't hanging about either.

You had a good connection to the play who planted it during that moment if its going off asap.

Yeah, sorry. Was replying to the guy that said it was because they had been nerfed. If that was the case then I'd have been fine last night.

Just sucks that I can be going full speed over one and get blown up, whilst another guy can happily drive around with my proxy INSIDE his car, and be fine. Like, WTF?!

Sometimes I wonder if some of my weapons just flat out don't work for some reason. The heavy pistol is another example. Some people love it, but I can shoot people in the head numerous times at close range and nothing happens. I'd be better off throwing it at them. Change to the regular pistol and it's fine again. *Shrugs*

I was driving around in my PV Insurgent when some guy in a Kuruma starts following me and trying to blow me up

Every GTAO session in a nutshell :p

Edited by Coleco

WarnerKiller

I was driving around in my PV Insurgent when some guy in a Kuruma starts following me and trying to blow me up

Every GTAO session in a nutshell :p

Yup. Mind you, it doesn't help that I decided to paint it gold and put dollar rims on it... Heh.

Still, I'm yet to be killed in it, so it's doing its job. Weird how you can throw stickies from it, but not from the Kuruma.

Soran Is On

Had a guy defending himself in the back of the strip club with them. Use them right and they're pretty effective.

You have to make sure you placing them where people will have to generally slow down. Turns, alleyways, doorways and corners.

WarnerKiller

Had a guy defending himself in the back of the strip club with them. Use them right and they're pretty effective.

You have to make sure you placing them where people will have to generally slow down. Turns, alleyways, doorways and corners.

What, and being sat next to one in a car isn't slow enough?! Likewise on the car park ramps, I was driving down them slowly in the insurgent and he wasn't keeping up, so we weren't going very fast at all. Usually you hear the explosion, too...but nothing this time.

I'm guessing they just don't work when stuck to cars. Might try this theory later. Perhaps R* don't want you having a cheap version of the ignition bomb.

The deal is that they're mines, that when someone is in proximity to them, explode.

Edited by ZakeBudek

Likewise on the car park ramps, I was driving down them slowly in the insurgent and he wasn't keeping up

Maybe on your screen he wasn't keeping up. On his screen he was probably very close.

WarnerKiller

The deal is that they're mines, that when someone is in proximity to them, explode.

Correct. So if one is stuck to the inside of a car door and you get inside the car... are you not in the proximity of it?!

sweetmanRyan

You need to be far more skilled to effectively troll on this forum.

It actually wasn't meant to be a troll. There is a reason that sticky bombs are the weapon of choice for 13 year olds everywhere. Next time someone is in high speed pursuit of you, try a proximity mine, you'll need to have the right amount of timing of course, but you don't have to trigger it and can continue to focus on driving instead of waiting to see when to detonate a sticky.

This, basically.
Edited by sweetmanRyan

Furry_Monkey

I often use them on the ramps of multi-storey car parks and have never seen them fail. I guess lag could cause them to drive past one and not set it off, in which case I've been lucky.

And when I say "often", I mean *very* often. That's one of my regular tricks for dealing with chasers.

You need to be far more skilled to effectively troll on this forum.

It actually wasn't meant to be a troll. There is a reason that sticky bombs are the weapon of choice for 13 year olds everywhere. Next time someone is in high speed pursuit of you, try a proximity mine, you'll need to have the right amount of timing of course, but you don't have to trigger it and can continue to focus on driving instead of waiting to see when to detonate a sticky.

My apologies, in that case. It came across (to me) as a typical brusque troll post.

I can see your point, but can't refer to experience as I very rarely use explosives when in a high speed chase. I only use them at choke points.

I once placed one under a Liberator.

Someone entered it, drove it around and parked it in the same place. The bomb was still there. I walked up to it and it blew up.

Reminded me of a Looney Toons episode or some sh*t.

• Like 3

sweetmanRyan

Just claimed another bounty with one. They were coming down one side of the highway, me the other. Stop and toss one in their lane and then keep on my merry way.