2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Checking Text For Profantiy

Leadingman

I think it's hilarious that a rated M game that has countless murders, first person prostitute encounters, has cops screaming "f*** you!", and a scene where you take pictures of a girl having anal sex, thinks it necessary to check in game text to other players for profanity. God forbid someone swears at someone else!

We must protect our players from foul language!

CrysisAverted

In a game with torture, nudity, killing, and verbal profanity, written profanity is too far.

Not sure what genius over at R* though it would be logical to ban profanity from a text in a game where you commit various criminal offenses.

This happens only when you back out of the phone too quickly after sending a message. If you stay on the phone until after the message is sent, the warning won't appear.

I think you missed the point.
  • Like 2

The game is rated MATURE.. not immature...

there's no reason for players to text eachother profanity. It only makes for a hostile gaming experience and doesn't make the game better in any way. This is the same as stupid kids complaining about not being able to swear in a chat in a Battlefield server. We're here to play a video game, not listen to your high school insults rolling off your tongue to help you feel like you're penis is big enough to hang with the older crowd.

I can't even upload pictures taken in Grapeseed because there is "Rape" in "Grape". :bored:

Edited by Choppers

#UpgradeOrDie

The things Trevor says should have made this game AO+

Profanity filter for texts? Are we really catering to the under-aged players who should never be playing this game in the first place?

#parentalproblems

• Like 6

there's no reason for players to text eachother profanity. It only makes for a hostile gaming experience and doesn't make the game better in any way. This is the same as stupid kids complaining about not being able to swear in a chat in a Battlefield server. We're here to play a video game, not listen to your high school insults rolling off your tongue to help you feel like you're penis is big enough to hang with the older crowd.

Wow...Someone is insecure. Sounds like you've been killed in free roam once too many times. What if I want to text someone, "Oh for f*cks sake, why is your Zentoro neon puke green?" It's not about insults, it's about the hypocritical censorship.

This happens only when you back out of the phone too quickly after sending a message. If you stay on the phone until after the message is sent, the warning won't appear.

I think you missed the point.

He did, but I'm going to have to try this.

Edited by Leadingman

malcolmfunktion

I totally agree OP...I think its linked with the no nipples online crap.

How do you know that was up the gicker? Just asking...haha

High_Pockets

So I'm not allowed to send a text saying "F*** yeah! That was awesome", but it's perfectly fine for someone so send me a message like this? > "U FCKN FGGT EAT SHT AND DIE"?

These filters don't do anything real in the way of censorship or weeding out nasty messages.

Reminds of a forum I used to post on that would censor the word "Japanese" because it has "Jap" in it..... reallly???????

ThaUglyCupcake

@Nick930930

Because your penis insult really drives your point home...I will put many hours of thought into your mature post.

Edited by ThaUglyCupcake
  • Like 2

Black Terminator

I can careless for this check as long as I can cuss on the mic without getting banned. :)

devildante11

Who cares? Just think of something creative to say without the use of lame ass profanity.

• Like 3

MeatSafeMurderer

Who cares? Just think of something creative to say without the use of lame ass profanity.

But profanity is really f*cking good at conveying how passionate you are about something...and as someone who uses swearing as a part of my regular vocabulary it's really bloody annoying I can't use it there.

People who swear don't have a limited vocabulary...people who don't swear are purposefully limiting theirs though.

It´s even worse that we can´t even write some non-profanities.I couldn´t text a friend where to find customized gang cars because for some reason it didn´t let me type the word Vagos (Is it some Spanish profanity or insult or something?).

AceThaCreator

Yeah this is one of my pet peeves in this game especially when i post pics onto social club and go to edit the title and it stars out what i posted and in game too it keeps rejecting my text, it gets on my nerves at times.

I like this. Why are such words looked at as "lame"? Because they are "bad" words?

So just because it's not considered socially acceptable to swear it's considered immature to talk in such a way?

That is just f*cking bullsh*t that mother f*cking bitches think you damn f*ckwad!!!!! <-----THIS IS A JOKE BTW

No but in all seriousness words are just words, sometimes I do indeed use swears as much as "normal" words, using certain words does not make one "immature", the interactions that take place however do.

Edited by LeoV

It´s even worse that we can´t even write some non-profanities.I couldn´t text a friend where to find customized gang cars because for some reason it didn´t let me type the word Vagos (Is it some Spanish profanity or insult or something?).

'Vag'

urkgcNk.gif

CarnageRacing00

I think it's hilarious that a rated M game that has countless murders, first person prostitute encounters, has cops screaming "f*** you!", and a scene where you take pictures of a girl having anal sex, thinks it necessary to check in game text to other players for profanity. God forbid someone swears at someone else!

We must protect our players from foul language!

I know it seems silly, but it's not actually about the language itself, it's about how it's used.

For example, saying "Dude that was f*cking cool", is a WAY different than saying "I'm going to f*ck you in the f*cking asshole you f*cking piece of f*cking sh*t c*nt bitch".

So they're not trying to protect people from the words themselves, they're trying to prevent e-bullying.

Imagine being a girl gamer and some of the absolutely horrid things that are said to them...

• Like 2

"Language father, there are children present"

Because of the pre pubescent asshats I can't even write asshole.

Arctic Midnight

Personally I think it's hilarious how they check for profanity; in a game where trevor shouts the C word four times while stomping some dude's head in AFTER banging his girl. HAH!

As for possibly 'getting your feelings hurt' on this game..... If you're worried about someone cursing at you, regardless of your gender, you shouldnt' even be playing an online game where you can interact with other people. Grow a tougher skin. The big bad words can't actually hurt you. It's as ridiculous as being offended over what color they chose their sunglasses to be.

I know it seems silly, but it's not actually about the language itself, it's about how it's used.

For example, saying "Dude that was f*cking cool", is a WAY different than saying "I'm going to f*ck you in the f*cking asshole you f*cking piece of f*cking sh*t c*nt bitch".

So they're not trying to protect people from the words themselves, they're trying to prevent e-bullying.

Imagine being a girl gamer and some of the absolutely horrid things that are said to them...

You got it right man at least how i see it, there is a VERY big difference to some people between hearing scripted swearing in say a game or movie, then having another human being use it on you for some perceived shortcoming or any other reason.

I have no problem with it.

P.S. unless you were trying to insult someone in the first place what does it matter if they see "Dude that was ******* cool!" or "Dude that was really cool!"?

Edited by Zanje

SnapCrackleAndPop

there's no reason for players to text eachother profanity. It only makes for a hostile gaming experience

Thank god the game where an hour ago I was trapping people in stores, laying down proximity mines, running them over AND calling muggers,just to be petty,including the stuff others pull on me isn't a hostile gaming experience.

;)

Murder is more acceptable than saying f*ck. In movies and video games!

Remember that, kids!

fakebasedjo

I can't even use the word "night" in one of my capture missions because it has "nig" in it. I don't know who the genius is that came up with this is, but he/she needs to be fired.

Just because a game contains such things as list by OP doesnt mean you can abuse people via text. OP you obviously cant see the forest for the trees. Its rather obvious if you actually think about it

CaptainMental

Even worse it that it uses an English banlist for us who sometimes writes in other languages. Sometimes I have a hell trying to get my messages through.