2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Should GTA O go Free to play?

beemertramp

beemertramp

What do you guys think? GTA O is in need of some new players in tierd of finding empty lobbies in game modes like LTS and capture.It would be cool if gta o did go free to play because it would get new players to play the game and give a wider audience, also it would bring on new people into the series and make R* good money with it's cash cards.What do you guys think?

Misanthrope Z

on the downside, servers would get f*cked again

i'd say no

• Like 2

Are you insane??

Free games need to support themselves in some way, and theres where microtransactions come.

Sure there are the Shark Cards for V, but they are more of a timesaver, since you can still get all content by farming cash in game.

Now in most free to play games you end up with two currencies, one that you earn in game, and other that you buy with real money. I could see GTA Online having this, where the newest cars, even some paintjobs, car parts, planes, appartments, etc are all locked to this paid currency.

So nah man, forget about that.

beemertramp

Are you insane??

Free games need to support themselves in some way, and theres where microtransactions come.

Sure there are the Shark Cards for V, but they are more of a timesaver, since you can still get all content by farming cash in game.

Now in most free to play games you end up with two currencies, one that you earn in game, and other that you buy with real money. I could see GTA Online having this, where the newest cars, even some paintjobs, car parts, planes, appartments, etc are all locked to this paid currency.

There are various options that can apply to the free to play model like locking out certain heist,cars, clotining, ect... from the free to play Players to entice them to buy the full game (gta 5),or there can be gta online standalone for 20 to 30 dollars which only contains gta o

I paid 60$ for this game.Why should someone else get it for free? Not to mention the servers that may explode.

Edit:I agree with the post above. But it doesn't make it free to play anymore right? It will be like The Crew,where there is a server outage,the game will be worthless.

Edited by Vehicles

Hell To The No.

F2P will kill it!

I like it the way it is now... F2P games intentionally make it damn near impossible to get anything via hardwork.

CrysisAverted

What are you talking about, GTAO is free, you only paid for singleplayer.

beemertramp

I paid 60$ for this game.Why should someone else get it for free? Not to mention the servers that may explode.

Edit:I agree with the post above. But it doesn't make it free to play anymore right? It will be like The Crew,where there is a server outage,the game will be worthless.

they'll still get left out of the rad amazing story that gta v is and get left with the waterd down multiplayer component which is gta online

in talking about free not behind the 60 dollar pay wall which is gta 5 Edited by beemertramp

What do you mean? The game for free, or getting online for free?

Game for free: hell no! As is explained above.

Online for free: I'm on ps3 so it is free (atm), but on the other hand I wouldn't really mind paying 50 orso a year. Keep in mind running a server capable of supporting a game with so much people at the same time costs a lot!

The empty lobbies are because most ppl are preoccupied with heists atm.

Edited by KoBo_043

beemertramp

What do you mean? The game for free, or getting online for free?

Game for free: hell no! As is explained above.

Online for free: I'm on ps3 so it is free (atm), but on the other hand I wouldn't really mind paying 50 orso a year. Keep in mind running a server capable of supporting a game with so much people at the same time costs a lot!

online for free in the ps store, it will be free but only payment is sharkcards

Are you insane??

There are various options that can apply to the free to play model like locking out certain heist,cars, clotining, ect... from the free to play Players to entice them to buy the full game (gta 5),or there can be gta online standalone for 20 to 30 dollars which only contains gta o

That sounds like something reasonable, but still I think is a bad move now, considering how people already paid 60$ for the game (some even paid it twice because next gen upgrades [some gonna pay thrice because of that, and pc upgrage])

they'll still get left out of the rad amazing story that gta v is

Yeah, I paid my $60 and I'm still waiting for that :p

Edited by saintsrow

Online for free in the ps store, it will be free but only payment is sharkcards

If only payment option is sharkcards, what happens to the payout rates in jobs?

Or you'd pay ALOT real money fir the cards? Or grind for a year to buy that super/heli/whatever you want.

Online on it-s own (without SP) for a reduced price might work, but I doubt they'll do that.

beemertramp

they'll still get left out of the rad amazing story that gta v is

Yeah, I paid my $60 and I'm still waiting for that :plol well let's hope the story dlc improves haha

I don't think they would be willing to pay the development costs it would take to split the game off of SP.

It will spin off into Free to Play only for current gen and only after a year of people who buy the next game getting it with GTA6.

Who knows? We might get cross platform play by then.

Start saving now for your xbone/PS4 or a badass PC if u don't got one.

edit: spellz

Edited by Kaber

sweetbrother

Buh gta online is free, it came free when i bought the game! I didnt pay any monies!

Duh duh derp!

(brought to you by the dumbasses of gta forums)

• Like 1

henryborked

Nope.

• Like 1

Buh gta online is free, it came free when i bought the game! I didnt pay any monies!

Duh duh derp!

OP is sayng if it a standalone F2P game. No initial purchase necessary.

Without any investment, Rockstar would have to make sure people rely on shark cards to buy stuff i.e. Reducing mission payouts by 90%, introducing an "Exclusive" Currency that lets you bypass this and a whole bunch of other F2P nonsense.

No thanks I say

beemertramp

Duh duh derp!

well sir you are mean

They're talking about XB1 and PS4

But no it should not be free

Edited by TCA

...finding empty lobbies in game modes like LTS and capture...

Most F2P People will only play Races and DMs.

And missions of course.

Edited by Smesi.

Def not. Gtao already suffers gameplay wise due to the need to sell cash cards. If a free to play model was adopted where in game purchases are usually essential, then the game would be f*cked.

I'd go the other way and have a system where you pay a small monthly sub, which would then negate the need for cash cards and as a result the gameplay could be vastly improved. Cops off lobbies, no insurance, prices on a par with SP etc

SALO or The 120 Days Of Sodom

anyone who hasnt bought the game by now wouldnt even be playing it if it were free to play anyway. There were a handful of games for PS that went free to play.. remember MAG? I downloaded that when it went free to play and only played it once. I was reminded why I never bought it in the first place. At this point, I doubt rockstar is worried about getting more people to play their game. They're thinking, "Why? so we could get more ungrateful entitled children to complain about what we're not doing right?". Lol.. all they have to do is visit a Forum like this. I'm sure they get enough of it on their own website.

I can already see it

If you think the servers are sh*t now I can't imagine how bad they'd be if the game was F2P.

Also F2P is a bad model to base a game around.

CrysisAverted

What if R* pulled a Valve and made it so while GTAO is free, you can only have one garage until you actually spend money on the game like for Steam, you have limited slots on TF2 until you get your "premium" account which allows you to use all backpack slots.

of course R* would start charging for hats too.

sweetbrother

Duh duh derp!

OP is sayng if it a standalone F2P game. No initial purchase necessary.

Without any investment, Rockstar would have to make sure people rely on shark cards to buy stuff i.e. Reducing mission payouts by 90%, introducing an "Exclusive" Currency that lets you bypass this and a whole bunch of other F2P nonsense.

No thanks I say

you didnt get the joke. Was poking fun at the dense people that can't understand what "free" is, and use the supermarket buy 1 get 1 free comparison. (its a game, not a food product)

But yeah agree with your post.