2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Does rank/level mean something in GTA?

AboveAndBeyoncé

Does rank/level mean something in GTA Online?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. So does it mean something?

• No it means nothing in GTA Online
    • Yes it means a lot GTA Online

AboveAndBeyoncé

When I browse the threads here I see members saying "rank means nothing" or "I determine who I play with by rank"

So let's answer this question..... Does rank actually determine how good a player is? Does it mean something in terms of skill?

I think that rank does let me know how good or skilled a player might be I've always thought that way looking at rank. I determine which players are a threat and who isn't based on rank when I'm in freemode.

Your thoughts GTAF?

Only if ur self-conscious and you have no life. Or I guess to obtain specific items...

Edited by DORIEN

iLikeDrivinInMyTruck

Just hit 300. Does it mean anything to you? No.

Does it mean anything to me? Yes, very much.

• Like 8

Applepie123

Rank 120 is the rank when you don't start caring for it anymore.

As for player skills, whether you are rank 13 or 130 it doesn't change anything. A well skilled level 9 beat my ass viciously in a deathmatch and I'm 213 or something lol.

Edited by Applepie123
  • Like 3

Non Fiction

It all depends on how you got your rank...if it was nothing but racing then no but if its from playing missions, DM, free mode, and some racing then yes

fakebasedjo

Yeah. I'd feel much more comfortable playing with someone who was rank 200 than someone who was rank 12. Not because of the skill, but the more health, guns, experience,etc.

ThaBirdCoot

No, but obivously higher ranks are likely to be more experienced and dangerous combined with the wide array of weapons and vehicles they own. Coming across a low level in free roam doesn't mean he isn't a threat tho, some can be quite feisty because they feel the need to measure themselves with higher levels and some can surprise you with their ability, off course that's if you keep it fair and don't mow em down with a minigun when they were using an micro smg...

The Lone Wanderer

until 100 or 120 it means something afterwards it means very little

Well it does mean something because you get higher health up to 120 and are able to carry max armor at 130 (I think) so also besides the mini gun there are pros to players with ranks up to 130.

Edited by em1b16a2

You know your not the first person to ask this dumb question right?

And for future reference K/D means nothing either.

devildante11

Of course It has meaning, the higher your rank the more value you have as a player. Screw those low level scrubs and their lousy Micro SMG's

• Like 1

While it does mean something (how well equipped a player may be, how much health they have, etc.), it doesn't determine how skilled they are, as your question implies. Plenty of people using second characters out there, as well as level 40-80s who only have a few days played but are still capable of kicking a level 300's ass any day of the week. So I voted "no".

Edited by WinkingSkeever6

CarimboHanky

apart from a few perks, lebel showing nothing but how much time you have wasted playing online!

• Like 2

AboveAndBeyoncé

until 100 or 120 it means something afterwards it means very little

so 120 not 135 for ability to carry 10 body armors?

I have mixed thoughts about this.

To achieve a high rank you must play the game, obviously. So by playing it you're acquiring experience in it, and understanding better how the mechanics of the game work, so you could say that people with high rank have a bit more of a notion on how the game is, thus they should do better than low level players.

But then there are many other points that fall into this, such as people who got alternate characters, or even who delete their characters and restart them (I did this 3 times already because I'm that bored), this people will have a lower level but they can be playing GTA Online for longer than your average rank 300 player. And in the same way a player in rank 300 could be a racer, so he basically doesn't have a good eye for shooting, who knows what could happen.

Even so a low level player could have just started on GTA Online, but played GTA V SP since launch, thus having a good notion on how to shoot/drive/etc despise being low level.

So how do I put this, having a high rank should indicate that you play the game a lot, but is no where a good measure unit to show how good you are in it.

CarimboHanky

Of course It has meaning, the higher your rank the more value you have as a player. Screw those low level scrubs and their lousy Micro SMG's

PLOT TWIST

those low level scrubs now carry a special carbine, marksman rifle, homing launcher, proximity mines, etc etc etc

the times of the micro are long gobe!

• Like 4

AboveAndBeyoncé

It was a good question its better then that thread "does rockstar care about you?" and I wouldn't dare ask if k/d means something in GTA Online... Edited by AboveAndBeyoncé

CrysisAverted

It means everything op, I hear some people don't even want to do heists with >100's

• Like 1

honestly, its just a number(itd be worth something, if there weren't any bs-ers who raise their rank by illegitimate ways)

but that, at the very least only shows you should at least be very experienced, or at least have a big # of weapons.

there is no real measure of how good anyone is, unless you run free-aim forced weapons(at max, since it couldn't get more tricky than that, i mostly T.Aim forced+pickups if not anything else)(yet it still is ruined by most of the things added with updates, like bulletproof helms, im ok with low levels using it, but once you hit op weapons, it just shows how weak you are in game)

Edited by GTKING1st

streetx1xracer

If you're higher rank, you have more health, therefore can absorb more bullets, therefore surviving longer, therefore not dying first minute of a heist.

• Like 1

The only thing a higher rank means is they have played more than a lower rank. Skill is not determined by rank. Bxx88 nailed it on the head.

InfernalOutcast

Does the health thing mean dick at all because I've seen the pop up that tells me my health goes from 20 to 40 probably 8 times now.

It was a good question its better then that thread "does rockstar care about you?" and I wouldn't dare ask if k/d means something in GTA Online...it was a good question 12/2013.....now not so much. You're over a year late with this nugget.
  • Like 1

The only thing a higher rank means is they have played more than a lower rank. Skill is not determined by rank. Bxx88 nailed it on the head.

Oh look, we meet again, with opposite opinions, like last time. To the op, it means everything. People who say it isnt are usually low lvls.

• Like 1

awesomefoot

Somewhere in between.

Trying to do heists or harder missions with people in their level 30s or under is a pain. And obviously, there are a few level 20 or 30s that can spank level 200s or whatever easily as you can level up by just playing and sucking the entire time or just playing golf nonstop or whatever. And much like most SP/MP games like this, you can be really good at killing NPCs and suck when you're playing humans that roll around, pop food, whatever.