3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Best graphics card for GTAV

epoxi

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but my query is pretty similar. Any notable differences/advantages between the EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked, MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G and ASUS STRIX GTX970? Or would I be fine going with either?

In my investigation I have found they're all pretty much the same. Gforce very strongly recommends the STRIX, and personally that card appeals the most to me. The reasons I would have chosen it (had I not found the non-gaming MSI for around £50 less), are its aesthetics/finish, the fact it has a backplate and that its fans turn off completely when not needed.

Backplates are controversial: supposedly they reduce the risk of the card flexing, but instead puts strain on the motherboard. Given the graphics card is the one getting hot and now that I've seen the weight of the fan/heatsink combo first hand, I am leaning on the pro-backplate side (that said, my MSI doesn't have one).

You should be fine, I power my 680 off of an 8-pin and a 6-pin on the same cable. It's all the same rail underneath AFAIK.

You are right, the CX500M is a single-rail PSU so in terms of the the PSU and card's stability it's equivalent to connecting two separate cables.

Wikipedia says a 6-pin connector can deliver 75W while an 8-pin connector can deliver 150W so as long as the end I plug into the PSU is an 8-pin the plugs/cables themselves should have the current capacity (I believe all 3 plugs on the cable were optional 6/8 pins).

Edited by epoxi

Most are 6/8 these days. Both sets of cables on my Corsair are anyway, I doubt the others would be different. The actual PCI-E circuity on the motherboard supplies another 75W peak too, BTW.

I'm not entirely sure, but AFAIR PCIe 2.0 could provide 150W, and 3.0 - 300W. At least I saw such news on various sites when first 3.0 cards popped up. I'm not sure if there's any motherboard that could deliver so much watts through the PCIe port though, that seems a bit unrealistic.

I'm not entirely sure, but AFAIR PCIe 2.0 could provide 150W, and 3.0 - 300W. At least I saw such news on various sites when first 3.0 cards popped up. I'm not sure if there's any motherboard that could deliver so much watts through the PCIe port though, that seems a bit unrealistic.

75W seems to pop up quite a lot from my searches. Don't know where that 300w came from.

I just installed the card and text seems slightly hazy (i.e. a faint shadow of the same text a pixel or two to the right) compared to when I was using on-board graphics. I have tried adjusting my screen's clock settings with no luck.

Should I be concerned or is it simply because I am using a DVI to VGA adapter?

(I was using VGA before without issue, but my screen does have a DVI input so I will be getting a new cable for that regardless)

Edited by epoxi

It could be due to using analog video output, from what I heard on many new cards it looks like crap.

Yeah, I hope it is, I'll order a DVI cable now to get rid of this horrible stuff:

YAoenVe.png

(grey line to the right of black grid edge is a shadow of the black line)

Edited by epoxi

Also, I've heard that using a DVI-VGA cable (as opposed to an adapter) yields slightly better results - but there's no point in your case, just use a DVI-DVI cable.

It's VGA. Before I had DVI-DVI, picture looked washed and it got even worse when there is a dark scene like in a movie or games,

the black was dark purple. Really ugly and misleading.

• 2 weeks later...

Best bang for your buck would probably be a GTX 970.

I agree with you, and I have been thinking about it since you mentioned it a while back, but I am hesitant because of the price: it's encroaching on console prices, and I'll be buying the card to play pretty much one game. Also with the 3.5+0.5GB fiasco (which to be honest I don't really care about itself too much, 3.5GB is plenty for 1080p right?), I am worried prices are going to tank as soon as I buy one.

Edit: Also I've heard a lot about coil whine, is this an issue on most other graphics cards or just the GTX 970?

Any specific reason why GTX970 is the best bang for the buck? I got the GTX750 and comparing the prices, GTX970 is three times more expensive. I'm not a video card expert so I'm not sure which specification one should look at when comparing graphics card..

Well, the answer is - you shouldn't really look at the detailed specs. If you want to compare the performance of two cards - read a review. ;)

GTX970 is almost 3 times as fast as GTX750. It's not technically a better value for money than GTX750, but it's the best as far as high end cards go (if GTX970 can be called that).

Edited by yojo2

Not sure if it's any relevant to you now, but it seems like 2GBs of VRAM is not enough to max out the game @ Full HD. For the best performance it'd be good to have more than 3GB. However, looks like 2GB will do fine for high settings.

That's at least according to the reviews on the Web (I'd check myself how the game runs on 2GB, but I don't have the game yet... I kinda regret not preordering it, because it was noticeably cheaper than the retail price, at least in PL :/)

Edited by yojo2

It runs fine on 2GB. I've got everything set to very high except shadow quality and grass, 4x TXAA and 8x AF and I'm consistently above 45fps on a GTX680, averaging mid 60s.

The best bang for the buck is the 290x by far. $309 for GTX980 performance? Nothing comes anywhere near close for that price...

I'm pretty sure the best bang for the buck card is something like a 270/x or a 280/x (not sure if it's the X variant of the cards).

The best bang for the buck is the 290x by far. $309 for GTX980 performance? Nothing comes anywhere near close for that price...

Well, the 290X only benches similar to the 980 in certain circumstances. Generally it's slightly slower than a 980 across the board and considerably slower at 4K resolutions. Plus AMD drivers have always been a few steps behind Nvidia in support.

The 290X runs hot and power-hungry, but it's a damn powerful card. There's very little in it between the 970 and 290x at 1080p anyway so it really comes down to whether you want to deal with a huge increase in power draw and heat for mildly higher performance at 4K.

Well, the 290X only benches similar to the 980 in certain circumstances. Generally it's slightly slower than a 980 across the board and considerably slower at 4K resolutions. Plus AMD drivers have always been a few steps behind Nvidia in support.

The 290X runs hot and power-hungry, but it's a damn powerful card. There's very little in it between the 970 and 290x at 1080p anyway so it really comes down to whether you want to deal with a huge increase in power draw and heat for mildly higher performance at 4K.

It doesn't run hot for me... I hit 80c one time, other than that it runs 70c on GTA V and 50c on every other game I play. Blame cases with lack of cooling for high temps cause I've had no problems.

I can't say it isn't power hungry but that's the price you pay for performance. Also, Catalyst drivers received a major update which fixed tons of issues (issues which I've never had, btw) and added tons of features.

I needed all the 4k performance I could get and I had a budget of $350 so the 290x was a no brainer, especially considering the 970's lack of full speed 4gb GDDR5. Nvidia can take their high prices for minimal performance gains and shove them where the sun don't shine.

Edited by r0llinlacs

70-80 is hot. I've never topped 70 in a game, only ever in torture tests, and that's with pretty hefty overclocks.

70-80 is hot. I've never topped 70 in a game, only ever in torture tests, and that's with pretty hefty overclocks.

Given the efficiency of the 290x I'd say 70-80 is pretty normal for that chip. Keep in mind that this is a chip that would run in the mid 90's with the stock cooler. Even Sapphire's Vapor-X (arguably the best non reference air cooler on AMD chips) will run around the 70 mark.

Edited by TheMcSame

Given the efficiency of the 290x I'd say 70-80 is pretty normal for that chip. Keep in mind that this is a chip that would run in the mid 90's with the stock cooler. Even Sapphire's Vapor-X (arguably the best non reference air cooler on AMD chips) will run around the 70 mark.

Well, like I said earlier, I only hit 80c one time. Other than that one time, it never goes over 70c. Yesterday my maximum temp was 71c after 3 hours of GTA V so I'd say it runs very cool for what it does. I have the XFX Double Dissipation edition and this and the VaporX seem to prove that roughly 70c is the coolest these things will run on air.

Not sure but SLI/Crossfire may be needed if you want to max the settings. I have Strix GTX 980 OC DCII and I can max settings while getting smooth FPS in city, but when I travel (drive or fly, no big difference) between Blaine County and Los Santos (approx. below Vinewood Hills) I get major FPS drops.

Ofc my CPU could be a bottleneck for my GPU, but I doubt it because overclocks.