4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Best graphics card for GTAV

epoxi

Hi all,

Rockstar has quoted that the GTX 660 is the recommended graphics card for GTAV, but what is the smartest choice to go for in the current market?

Preferably I would like to beat the GTX 660 because I plan to modify the game and push things a bit further. I won't necessarily be putting ENB or anything heavy like that but for example I remember RAM became a limitation on SA:MP when they upped the vehicle spawn limit in the game, RAM is cheap so that was okay, but I wouldn't want my experience to be limited by the graphics card in a similar way.

I have been looking at video card rankings and such, and I can't really make sense of it since I am not an avid gamer, my choice is purely oriented around GTAV and value for money.

yojo helped me build my (currently GPU-less) computer last year and I am very happy with it so far. The key stats are:

• 4th Generation Intel® Core i5 4570 3.20GHz Socket LGA1150
  • ASRock H87M Pro4 Intel H87 (Socket 1150) Motherboard
  • 8GB RAM
  • Case which should fit long graphics cards if needed
  • Corsair Builder Series Modular CX500M - 500 Watt 80 PLUS® Bronze Power Supply (this PSU is brand new so I don't want to upgrade it)
I don't really have a budget, but as always my main focus is bang for buck: I will go to whichever end of the market has the best value (but I definitely don't want to spend more than an an XBOX or PS4!).

Edited by epoxi

Best bang for your buck would probably be a GTX 970.

I agree with you, and I have been thinking about it since you mentioned it a while back, but I am hesitant because of the price: it's encroaching on console prices, and I'll be buying the card to play pretty much one game. Also with the 3.5+0.5GB fiasco (which to be honest I don't really care about itself too much, 3.5GB is plenty for 1080p right?), I am worried prices are going to tank as soon as I buy one.

Edit: Also I've heard a lot about coil whine, is this an issue on most other graphics cards or just the GTX 970?

Edited by epoxi

I think if prices were to tank they would have done so already. 970 was my first thought as well however I'm wonder if a 500W PSU would be living on the edge. If you don't want to spend that much money then I think a 960 would suffice just fine as well. Alternatively look at other sources than factory new. I got a 780 that someone had bought and returned for the same as a 760, not sure what they were thinking when setting that price but I'm not gonna complain.

Edited by Andreaz1

If you're getting the GPU primarily for GTAV, it'd make the most sense to wait until it's released ;) Then it'll be the easiest to assess which card to go for.

Coil whine is a very common issue, happens with all cards. Personally I haven't had a card that didn't whine.

Edited by yojo2

Yes, waiting would be the sensible thing to do, but I can't tolerate my pathetic last gen console...it takes 50 minutes of screwing around just to start a heist. I want out now! :lol:

What role does GPU RAM have to play regarding games like GTAV, is 2GB enough if I am going to be playing at 1080p, do you think setting textures to a high resolution will push the card to the limit? (sorry to jump into speculation)

Also, regarding the GTX970, given I have a Haswell processor do you think my Corsair CX500M 500w supply is enough to run the GTX 970 safely?

Edited by epoxi

It's really hard to estimate how much VRAM will GTAV need. 2GBs might not be enough for max settings.

The PSU will do the job.

do you think my Corsair CX500M 500w supply is enough to run the GTX 970 safely?

As Yojo said, it'll be fine. It's not the highest quality but you wont be pushing it anywhere near its limits seeing as the 970 is a ~140w card IIRC. I'd be surprised if your rig hit 300w.

As yoyo said, 2GB might not be enough for the game for max settings and if you buy the GTX970 now, you may be have problems

if it turns out it exceeds 3,5GB. So you'll have to lower settings and accept you can't install heavy mods like heavy carmods and ENB.

It's a good idea to wait when the game actually release and see youtube videos of GTX970 owners to showcase their experiences and gameplays.

Edited by SilverRST

It's really hard to estimate how much VRAM will GTAV need. 2GBs might not be enough for max settings.

The PSU will do the job.

i think 2gb will be enough up to 1080. but 4k will defo need more.

i have a 760 2gb. bf4 on everything high/max is at 45 fps [resolution scaling at 100%]. thats what i'm hoping for with V.

if you look online, battlefield 4 and V have similar requirements, VERY similar. so i'm sure a single 760 will get you to high-max with 45-50 fps just like BF4.

if you go for the one 760 look into EVGA or MSI... i vouch for both.

remember, when IV came out it was poorly optimized. but after patch 1.0.4.0, optimization was good.

if your still uncertain, wait til the games out, and let others test it out, and see whats best for you.

Edited by K20

Regarding the GTX 970, I am very attracted to the card because it offers the best value for money, but people I have spoken to are very strongly against it.

The memory bandwidth falls from 150GBps to 22GBps once memory usage exceeds 3.5GB. Someone was saying this is a problem because the graphics card stutters when passing the 3.5GB threshold, someone else was saying this isn't an issue because the PCI-E bus bandwidth is less than 22GBps so you don't notice the difference.

Of course, this dispute is only even more reason to wait until the game is out, but is anyone aware of real-world situations (i.e. not benchmarking software) where the GTX970 stutters? Is it true that games designed to always use all the available VRAM will experience stuttering?

AFAIK yes, the performance will drop when the game exceeds 3,5GB of VRAM used (not to confuse with memory that's just allocated). But so will it do on cards that have just 3,5GBs of memory - in fact, I'd expect GTX970 to stutter less that a hypothetical 3,5GB card, since even that "crippled" part of the VRAM is much faster than accessing the RAM.

What I'm saying is that quite likely this card is better off having this 0,5GB extra than not having it at all. To be honest though, nobody cares to test it, as it's quite difficult - you'd need a game that uses a precisely defined amount of VRAM in order to verify.

Edited by yojo2

Regarding the GTX 970, I am very attracted to the card because it offers the best value for money, but people I have spoken to are very strongly against it.

The memory bandwidth falls from 150GBps to 22GBps once memory usage exceeds 3.5GB. Someone was saying this is a problem because the graphics card stutters when passing the 3.5GB threshold, someone else was saying this isn't an issue because the PCI-E bus bandwidth is less than 22GBps so you don't notice the difference.

Of course, this dispute is only even more reason to wait until the game is out, but is anyone aware of real-world situations (i.e. not benchmarking software) where the GTX970 stutters? Is it true that games designed to always use all the available VRAM will experience stuttering?

The 970 is no different now then it was a launch, the only game that seems to have a problem is SoM because of the poor optimisation. I'd wait for AMD's 300 series though, just to see what they offer.

AMD are good value for money, but the power consumption puts me off. Also, I know it's a total gimmick, but I really want nVidia's ShadowPlay: this is especially important in GTAV because you never know when something brilliant is going to happen.

AMD are good value for money, but the power consumption puts me off. Also, I know it's a total gimmick, but I really want nVidia's ShadowPlay: this is especially important in GTAV because you never know when something brilliant is going to happen.

Not to mention if the rumors are true that the new AMD 300, especially 390(X) will have to be watercooled, reference.

If that's true, then I hope AMD will go bankrupt. Prices are raising through the roof these days and we keep paying a sh*tload of money to those damn bills.

So those crappy AMD hardware are consuming too much power.

And yes, I can say ShadowPlay is a nice feature. I have nVidia too.

What I find interesting is that nVidia has a lot of features to offer and create a lot more great hardware than only gaming GPU's.

They are inventing other great things.

AMD is just only into trying to survive and create good hardware but consumses a lot more power.

Price for Zotac GTX 970 just dropped from £260 to £240.

Anyone with any experience with Zotac as a manufacturer?

From what I heard the cooling on Zotac GTX970 is a bit subpar, but it does the job. Good thing is that they offr 5 year warranty.

For £260 you can have your pick of aftermarket coolers and still spend less than most of the competitor cards.

• 2 weeks later...

A reputable retailer has just reduced the price of the 3GB GTX 780 Ti (reference card) to under £250, does this trump the GTX 970?

The power consumption of the 780Ti is 250W versus the 970's 148W, is this going to be a problem on my 500W Corsair PSU?

Well... I'd still go for GTX970. The performance is similar (and future games & drivers will be better optimised for Maxwell), and GTX970 also has slightly more VRAM.

Power consumption wouldn't be a problem. On a side note, TDP does not equal power consumption; as its name suggests (Thermal Design Power) its linked to heat output, not power consumption (these two figures are related though).

Edited by yojo2

What scares me when you mention 'future games' is what people have been telling me about the GTX 970: if a game is coded in such a way that it deliberately tries to use all available VRAM, the 970 will be pushed into 4GB territory causing it to wander into the struggling bandwidth territory.

How real is this problem?

I am really torn because everyone on the internet says the 970 is the one to go for and everyone in real life insists the 780Ti is the best, at the moment both of them are now the same price. :lol:

Gforce very kindly ran some benchmarks on his ASUS 970GTX STRIX and the results were very impressive, however that was GRID2 and it didn't venture over 2GB of memory use.

The 780Ti benchmarks a little higher than the 970 but in reality the difference is negligible. I'd have a 970 personally.

What scares me when you mention 'future games' is what people have been telling me about the GTX 970: if a game is coded in such a way that it deliberately tries to use all available VRAM, the 970 will be pushed into 4GB territory causing it to wander into the struggling bandwidth territory.

Well, if the game VRAM usage exceeds 3GBs then GTX970 will be faster anyway than GTX780Ti. Even those crippled 0.5GBs are much faster than accessing the RAM (which the GTX780Ti would have to do).

Personally, I would go with the 780ti. I already had one and it was a beast.

Never ran into issue with the 3gb vram, but in the future it might be an issue.

But then again, maybe by the time you have to upgrade you might have to upgrade your whole pc.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/pc-components/3584978/nvidia-gtx-970-vs-nvidia-gtx-780-ti-amd-radeon-r9-290x/

Look at bench on the different games they made, not being held back by the 3gb even at 4k.

And beating the the 970 in all of them.

Since your question is best card for gta v, I think it is the one.

Pretty sure when the game release we will see benchmarks putting the 780ti in front of the 970.

What are your opinions on stock coolers?

I don't plan to overclock the card, but it would be great if I could get it to be quieter. My case has good airflow (fans front and back) so the reference-style coolers seem a bit of a waste.

Is it worth paying the £20-£30 premium and getting the ASUS STRIX? With a view to focusing on reliability and quietness, which is the best GTX 970?

Edit: Flies in the face of the priorities detailed above, but what about this? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-010-GX Might be better value for money with the factory overclocking (it's a similar price to all other brands, if anything slightly cheaper). Supposedly Kitguru's testing says it runs cooler than competitors too.

Edited by epoxi

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the MSI GTX 970 in the end.

I am currently away so I won't be able to install it for a couple of days, but if everything goes smoothly I should manage to get it ready in time for GTA V. :D

My power supply has 3x 6-pin and 1x 4-pin connectors. The card has 2x 6 pin connectors.

If I remember correctly, I have two cables in the box that came with my power supply, one cable has three of these (the other is some old Molex connector):

U5bwbl3.jpg

Can I run the whole card on one cable (one end in PSU, other two plugs in the graphics card), or should I buy more and have two separate cables running (two 6-pin sockets on PSU to two 6-pin sockets on the card)?

Edited by epoxi

You should be fine, I power my 680 off of an 8-pin and a 6-pin on the same cable. It's all the same rail underneath AFAIK.

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but my query is pretty similar. Any notable differences/advantages between the EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked, MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G and ASUS STRIX GTX970? Or would I be fine going with either?

Can I run the whole card on one cable (one end in PSU, other two plugs in the graphics card), or should I buy more and have two separate cables running (two 6-pin sockets on PSU to two 6-pin sockets on the card)?

Can you run the card on a single 6 pin? It's possible, but you'd be very close to the power limit that can be provided when it's under load.

Will it allow you to run it on a single 6 pin/would it be a good idea? Doubt it/no.

Edited by TheMcSame