4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

New build for GTA V, really strange GPU problem? Anyone familiar with

TheMostKnowledgable

TheMostKnowledgable

I recently completely tore down and rebuilt my PC, keeping only my PSU and dvd drive.

PSU is Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675w, so I'm sure I have enough power.

Motherboard is Gigabyte G1 Sniper H6.

8gb Gskill ram in there.

CPU, i5-4590

GPU Gigabyte GTX 960 OC Windforce Edition

OS is Windows 7 (so I think for now that it's nothing to do with secure boot, bios is set to OtherOS and not Windows8 setting, I've tried lots of settings with that, no dice, problem persists, explained below)

The problem is this:

When I boot the PC without any GPU in it, I can get on-board video through the i5's built in intel jobby.

If I put in my old GPU, Gigabyte 550ti, it works. (so I think it's nothing to do with UEIF and secure boot etc like above, cause if it was, this card would not work, but the 960 would since it's newer right? Wrong?)

When I put in my new 960, integrated ceases to function at all because the computer doesn't post at all. Fans spin up, on gpu too, but nothing goes on the screen.

If I have no gpu in it, then I go to bios and switch to PCIe1 init first, disable onboard, reboot, turn off, plug in GPU, boot again, the PC turns on, turns itself off, turns on again, and same issue - no output onboard or on gpu, until I remove the GPU.

Even though it turns on with the 960 in, it never goes to any windows booting - I'm not sure if it is stuck at "Bios has been reset: Choose - reboot with optimized, boot with optimized, enter bios" or just not posting at all.

I have no other PC to test in, no PC case speaker (thanks for not including that Antec case or Gigabyte mobo!).

Just hoping someone here knows of some new jive going on in hardware that I am unaware of since I am just now joining the more current times. My old build served me very well, really didn't need an upgrade yet, but I anticipated needing one for GTA V, and if not, soon enough, so I went ahead and got it.

Now I have my new PC, but only the 550ti boots. Is the GPU a dud? Did I miss anything else I should try?

Thanks everyone.

From what you explained, everything seems in order so it seems like you got a dead card. Have never owned or dealt with Gigabyte so I have no idea what their RMA process is like.

TheMostKnowledgable

Thanks, Ryan. Seemed that way indeed. I finally tried one more time and decided to take out my wifi card.

It worked. So there is some conflict in my PCI-e x16 and bottommost pci-e x1 slot (top one in the middle of gpu's x16, and blocked by the gpu's heat sink.

Maybe gigabyte will make a bios for this network card or something, or maybe there is a way to fix this that I haven't found, maybe someone knows. I'll probably buy a straight PCI wifi card, maybe it'll work.

Trendnet n600 dual band if anyone or you knows. thanks again. Back on the 550ti now til I figure it out.

Could be a mobo issue. I'm assuming you install the graphics cards in the x16 slot. 960 might be using more lanes than the 550ti. That could easily be causing the difference between conflict and no conflict. A bad GFX card is still a possibility, though.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

TheMostKnowledgable

K^2, I think you are right. When I physically look at the 550ti, it has less furbished pins than the 960. It must be using more IRQ channels or something - there's something wierd that "my" rarity was this cheap wifi card. The motherboard, for what it's worth now, is great. It doesn't like either "this" wifi card in pcie1x with a new gpu, or it doesn't like anything with a 3.0 compliant gpu, or whatever it is - it works without the wifi card, and it wasn't a major loss for me to go to wire (a gain if anything, of course).

The gpu indeed works though. GTA IV runs like a 60fps tv show now, it's wild. Just can't use "this" wifi card, "at the very least".

Documentation on the 960 seems sparse so far, I seem to be at least "near" to the earlier adopters on it. I suppose that's just due to how long it came after its bigger brothers the 970 and 980. It's good though, very good gpu. Blown away. Hasn't happened for me since the fx5200 back in the PS2.0 days.

Edited by TheMostKnowledgable

• 2 weeks later...

K^2, I think you are right. When I physically look at the 550ti, it has less furbished pins than the 960. It must be using more IRQ channels or something - there's something wierd that "my" rarity was this cheap wifi card. The motherboard, for what it's worth now, is great. It doesn't like either "this" wifi card in pcie1x with a new gpu, or it doesn't like anything with a 3.0 compliant gpu, or whatever it is - it works without the wifi card, and it wasn't a major loss for me to go to wire (a gain if anything, of course).

The gpu indeed works though. GTA IV runs like a 60fps tv show now, it's wild. Just can't use "this" wifi card, "at the very least".

Documentation on the 960 seems sparse so far, I seem to be at least "near" to the earlier adopters on it. I suppose that's just due to how long it came after its bigger brothers the 970 and 980. It's good though, very good gpu. Blown away. Hasn't happened for me since the fx5200 back in the PS2.0 days.

If you do need Wi-Fi in the future I'd suggest a Wi-Fi USB stick, it'll do the job.