2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Could R* increase top speeds in races?

makki3

So I posted a couple of months ago my frustration of having a speed cap of approx. 120 mph for all cars. People said it was attributed to both the game not being able to load all the elements of the GTA world fast enough at speeds beyond the limit plus connection speeds for most users wouldn't be able to handle it.

So I was thinking, would it be a viable idea to enable creators races where cars can reach the 160mph+ area in terms of speed? I would imagine the races would have to have traffic disabled plus a limit on how much model memory can be used for props and whatnot.

It sort of sounds completely redundant and borderline stupid, but I would love to see the top speed of a car become a large factor in some races that needed it.

Edit: I guess I forgot this is a non-heist related topic so nobody really gives 2 sh*ts.

Edited by makki3
  • Like 3

Arrows to Athens

The speed cap is not just in races. It also applies to free mode. The fastest cars in the game which is the Z-Type and Adder can only reach a top speed of 125 mph fully upgraded. I think Rockstar could be able to increase this top speed up to 150 or 160 mph. Catchup, however, needs to go. Also seeing as the new gen version of GTA 5 can barely even support 30 players in a single session they can reduce the maximum capacity of players to about 20-25. As result more memory can be saved and sessions would be less cluttered and more stable especially when there are superhuman cops everywhere.

Edited by Fearx--
  • Like 2

The cars go faster than 120. The interiors for cars seem to have a lock on the speedometer. Notice how if you hit a small bump going 120 how your speedometer goes up then back down.

GTA Forums User99521

125 is the maximum a car can go(source broughy1322)unless you use franklins ability,GTA race boost or some other method

What's even more disturbing is that the game uses metric units in its internal telemetry.

So the top speed isn't actually 125mph. It's 125KM/H!! D:

125 is the maximum a car can go(source broughy1322)unless you use franklins ability,GTA race boost or some other method

If thats what Broddie13323424 claims then thats wrong. 125 is not the max... Hitting Curbs and bumps, slipstream, turbo boosts, driving down hill and popping wheelies can push past 120mph

Edited by HulioG

Arrows to Athens

If thats what Broddie13323424 claims then thats wrong. 125 is not the max... Hitting Curbs and bumps, slipstream, turbo boosts, driving down hill and popping wheelies can push past 120mph

In terms of top speed (without any boost causing interruptions) no car can go past 125 mph. Bikes can't either unless you wheelie. In that case Broughy1322 is still right. Curbs don't increase top speed but only increase acceleration.

Edited by Fearx--

What's even more disturbing is that the game uses metric units in its internal telemetry.

So the top speed isn't actually 125mph. It's 125KM/H!! D:

Hell,my family's Toyota hatchback can go faster than that.

Catchup, however, needs to go. \

He stated that you could exceed it in a few circumstances like using franklin's ability for example. Otherwise, 125km/h is about as much as you can get under power. The restriction isn't on physics but on the car itself like adding a speedcut on a tractor trailer.

In terms of top speed (without any boost causing interruptions) no car can go past 125 mph. Bikes can't either unless you wheelie. In that case Broughy1322 is still right. Curbs don't increase top speed but only increase acceleration.

Yes they do... Everything i posted can push you past 120. Even simply driving down hill. Im not really debating this.. I see this daily.

Arrows to Athens

Yes they do... Everything i posted can push you past 120. Even simply driving down hill. Im not really debating this.. I see this daily.

I never disagreed with you. Cars themselves cannot exceed 125 mph without things like slipstream and franklin's ability. Never did I say it is impossible to exceed 125 mph. I simply stated that even the fastest cars aren't intended to go past that speed. If you use race boosts, wheelie or franklin's ability then you of course you can which then poses the question ''Why can't Rockstar increase the top speed cap of land vehicles?''. Cars could easily reach a top speed of 150 mph at least. If you can do the same with bikes then the same thing can be done with the fastest cars since they are the 'fastest' cars.

Edited by Fearx--

It makes a chunk of car modding redundant as well, which is annoying when you can spend so much money on improving the 'top speed', got to focus instead on acceleration

Arrows to Athens

It makes a chunk of car modding redundant as well, which is annoying when you can spend so much money on improving the 'top speed', got to focus instead on acceleration

Modding cars actually increase top speed as well as acceleration. But it's pretty much futile as 90 percent races have catchup and slipstream on.