Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (92,809 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

American Viking

Killing Darko. Canon or not.

American Viking

I honestly don't know the answer to this one. My best assumption is that it is not canon to kill Darko, and in fact Niko would allow him to live out his final days in the sandpit of despair he's created for himself. I'm conflicted on this one though because killing Darko completely fits Niko's personality too, even if he claims to feel empty inside afterwards. I always kill Darko by the way just for the satisfaction I gain. What do you think?

Edited by American Alpha

Chad Warden

Killing/not killing Darko lead Niko to the same mental conclusion: Revenge is not the answer.

Thelema93

I reackon it's canon to spare darko because of what niko says to roman during the drive

" I realised that nothing would change if I killed him he would just be dead like everybody else from the village" and the phonecall to bernie afterwards is better to

But if he kills darko he admits that he still feels empty and that he had hoped that killing darko would fill him a bit and give him some substance but it didn't.

It's also a better way to end niko and darkos story because niko realises he isn't that much different from darko because he to kills for money. And niko of all people knows that living can be harder than death sometimes. It would be greater punishment to let darko live with what he's done rather than put him out of his misery.

AuSsIeThUnDeR36

I usually just punch Darko once in the face as a final reminder, then walk away, allowing Darko to live out the rest of his days in misery. Also Niko feels horrible if he does kill Darko. I think it's better to walk away instead of killing Darko. Like Roman says, he knows what he had done, no need for further punishment.

Pastry

What Thelema said. It sure seems more Niko like and dramatic.

KogerOnControls

I just kick him in the face :D In one of my playthroughs it actually killed him...Must've hit the head.

Shadowfennekin

I always killed him. He deserved it.

PhillBellic

I feel that leaving Darko tormented with him living, is revenge enough for Niko.

iiCriminnaaL 49
Posted (edited)

I guess killing him is canon, because of Niko's anger during the cutscene, and because of Niko's line "You killed my friends for one thousand dollars". Not to mention that Niko was looking for Darko through the whole storyline, so it was more important than killing Dimitri or setting a deal with the latter for him.

Anyway, as much as how great the execution is, sparing him seems to make Niko feels better and makes Roman and Florian proud of him, not to mention that Darko prefers to die than to live, and then he thanks Niko if he kills him, which would be kind of disappointment for Niko.

Kinda out of topic: Some would say that Niko's decision sets his decision in One Last Thing too, but that's nonsense at all. Either killing Darko or let him alive will keep him totally f*cked up and useless, and sparing him is no risk, which is otherwise compared to Rascalov; Dimitri is a present risk for Niko, unlike Darko who betrayed him in the past but isn't dangerous anymore. Setting a deal with Dimitri is a stupid idea, because Bellic has always known that Dimitri is a backstabber and would screw him whenever he gets the chance to, especially that Rascalov has told him several times that he went to look for the places where Niko went to in some parts of the storyline but was disappointed for not seeing his corpse. So, what if he didn't do the deal and neither killed him? That'll lead Dimitri to whack Bellic, not to mention that Pegorino would send some goons after Niko too. After all, Niko wouldn't take Roman's advice, even though he's his cousin, because he knows that Roman is only chasing after money, and that's what got him in troubles in the first place. Kate knows much better about taking the right decision, and so Niko is.

Edited by iiCriminnaaL 49

cp1dell

I feel like what a lot of people are talking about here with Niko's conversation after the sparing or execution is hindsight. Like what Kane said, in the cutscene he is prepared to kill him.

I do think that the Darko choice though should influence Nino's Deal or Revenge choice. I mean come on, if you've killed Darko - Niko finds revenge unsatisfying. And I'm the cutscene at the club, Niko agrees to doing the deal. It's not until Roman had somehow found out where Darko is, and tells Niko. Niko never really was out looking for Dimitri. Like someone else said the whole story he's looking for Darko. The story is pretty much over until Pegorino comes to Niko with this last job.

SMACKED!

"How much do you charge to kill someone?"

CountdownIIExtinction

I think killing Darko is cannon. because you have to go through all the missions just for this. Plus you can kill him any way you like - beat him to death. shoot him, or stab him.

HigorSM

none of the choices in the game are canon, the entire point of these choices is to make the players develop the story in the way they prefer, having a right/canon choice would make them completely pointless.

Pottatto

I killed Darko on my first playthrough. After doing all the work and errands to find Darko to finally find him and not kill him, I just didn't think of sparing him.

cp1dell

none of the choices in the game are canon, the entire point of these choices is to make the players develop the story in the way they prefer, having a right/canon choice would make them completely pointless.

Thanks for explaining that for us. Usually when people make threads like these, they're not really asking what is "canon," but what they think the character Niko would have chosen based on how Rockstar developed him.

TEMPL4R

THIS! Very good point and simple!

Penguin Bob
Posted (edited)

To be honest, i think not killing Darko Brevic is the canon choice. Even if you kill Darko, Niko still won't be happy. If you killed Darko, you would have been doing him a favor. It seemed like that he wanted to die. If i'm not mistaken, Niko was trying to celebrate when you spared Darko. In the car, he said to Roman, "Open up the f*cking champagne." Also, some people were proud of him of sparing him. (And i know you said there's no canon choice but whatever)

Edited by Penguin Bob

cp1dell

Every time someone's reasoning is "Oh Niko is happier if you choose this," makes it sound like you're trying to pick the "game's "right/winning" choice," as opposed to what the character Niko would do. So many of these explanations are based off of hindsight.