4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

If it wasn't Toni..

If it wasn't Toni..  

83 members have voted

1. 1. If it wasn't Toni, then i would like to play the story of...

• Tommy Vercetti - Set in 90s Moving back to LC
    • Claude - Set in the year 2000, planning the robbery and everything leads to it
    • Mike - Set in mid 90's, tells the story of how Mike and Vinnie ends up in Advance
    • Luigi Goterelli - How he got the club and who he encounter while he was managing it
    • Mickey - Same story as in Luigi's, but through Mickey's eyes
    • CJ - Telling his own story through the events of 1987 - 1992
    • Joey Leone - Same story as in CJ's, but through Joey's eyes
    • Salvatore Leone - Same events from LCS with Salvatore as the lead
    • Miguel - How he joined Cartel mafia and met Catalina & Claude
    • 8Ball - How he got himself in the prison and met Claude afterwards
    • Ray Machowski - The story of Ray & McAffrey, also how he involved with Yakuza
    • Donald Love - His business life, relationships with other businessman like the Old Oriental Gentleman
    • Massimo Torini - His rivalry with the Leone Family
    • Tommy Vercetti - His life before the events of VC, in 70's
    • Salvatore Leone - His life story, how he became the Don
    • Joey Leone - The life story after his father's death, and hunting down Claude through LC and Upstate
    • James Earl Cash - His life after events of Manhunt, and how he made it to the nearest city, LC

In your opinion, who of this guys would have the chance of having his story told in LCS instead of Toni?

If you have any different ideas, just vote for none option, and please tell your choice of character with your own story..

Multiple choices are allowed

Edited by X/R//
  • Like 1

Every one of these characters would really make a nice plot.

A heist and criminal-acts only based game with Claude and Catalina would fit too while Phil Cassidy's story would seem off and out of the place.

Finally, Donald Love's story could have made a great plot too.

• Like 1

Mickey Hamfists, Miguel, Ray, Joey, or 8-Ball would be good but damn too many options

A game with 8-ball sounds very interesting

Edited by Zello
  • Like 1
WildBrick142

Miguel and 8-Ball had a lot of potential to be GTA protagonists. Especially Miguel.

Miguel is like the protagonists we get - starting from the bottom and rising up. You can see how much Miguel has changed between 1998-2001 - from a Colombian Cartel member to their boss - and it would actually be very interesting to play his story. This could also show us the events through the Colombians' point of view - the gang wars, the deals with Panlantic C.C., how Catalina became the boss, production and introduction of SPANK, etc.

As for 8-Ball. He isn't really the type that could have interesting stories going on but there still could be a nice story for him. How did he start his bomb shop business in 1984, how did he actually end up in Vice City in the first place, why did he return to Liberty City and how did he get affiliated with the Leones. His story could also have some sort of a "create-a-bomb" minigame similar to the quick-time events in Chinatown Wars. I could actually see 8-Ball killing people, considering what he is doing for the business.

To be honest, other than the protagonists we already had, I can't see other names on the list going around the street killing people at random GTA style. Torini and Mickey could but others don't seem to be that type from what we've seen in all the stories.

Edited by WildBrick142
  • Like 3

Phil Cassidy's story would seem off and out of the place.

At first i thought the same but, Phil Cassidy is a professional gunman, he knows his stuff, and he is deeply involved with crime for a long time. Note that, the stories i came up with doesnt really have to go with 90s like LCS did, Phil's story can be placed in late 80's right after he left vc for lc.

And about DL, he is a mastermind, behind the curtain. But with his connections, he could get a lot of things done, and also i believe that he can easily become a protag.

damn too many options

Yes, thats why i allowed multiple choices ;)

Miguel and 8-Ball had a lot of potential to be GTA protagonists. Especially Miguel.

Miguel is like the protagonists we get - starting from the bottom and rising up. You can see how much Miguel has changed between 1998-2001 - from a Colombian Cartel member to their boss - and it would actually be very interesting to play his story. This could also show us the events through the Colombians' point of view - the gang wars, the deals with Panlantic C.C., how Catalina became the boss, production and introduction of SPANK, etc.

As for 8-Ball. He isn't really the type that could have interesting stories going on but there still could be a nice story for him. How did he start his bomb shop business in 1984, how did he actually end up in Vice City in the first place, why did he return to Liberty City and how did he get affiliated with the Leones. His story could also have some sort of a "create-a-bomb" minigame similar to the quick-time events in Chinatown Wars. I could actually see 8-Ball killing people, considering what he is doing for the business.

To be honest, other than the protagonists we already had, I can't see other names on the list going around the street killing people at random GTA style. Torini and Mickey could but others don't seem to be that type from what we've seen in all the stories.

I agree with you on all the things you've said, and you have really good ideas about the prequel 8ball story. And about the people who couldnt go ahead and do these kind of stuff, just read above.

Massimo Torini. I didn't really understand his rivalry with Sal.

Yes, i dont get either. Also, i never liked him, or found him interesting..

Every one of these characters would really make a nice plot.

A heist and criminal-acts only based game with Claude and Catalina would fit too while Phil Cassidy's story would seem off and out of the place.

I imagine Donald Love's story as something like Better Call Saul.

Considering he was a young and a bit of a charlatan in LCS...

8Ball was meant to be Claude's closest ally in the alpha version of Grand Theft Auto 3. His role was later replaced by Maria (who also became Claude's love interest-ish).

That would've been fairly interesting. Too bad Rockstar missed on the occasion.

Edited by CasualSergiu
TheFlareEntercounter

I chose CJ because I like him the most, although 8Ball and the backstory of Salvatore Leone would be pretty awesome too!

Vice City criminal

Probably 8-Ball or Salvatore Leone.
they always seemed like interesting characters.

Edited by Vice City criminal

The idea of a Yakuza protagonist seems interesting to me. Kenji being the protagonist during his rise to the power. How he and Asuka ended up controlling one of the most powerful gangs of the city after Kazuki's death. In fact, before Chinatown Wars we never had the chance to meet at least one asian gang deeply (Excluding CJ's missions for Woozie).

• Like 1

Mickey- I chose Mickey because I found him an interesting character who wasn't explored much. He's shown to be loyal and not afraid to kill, so I think he'd make a great protagonist. I would imagine his story being a bit like Toni's and Claude's. He's freelance, but does some jobs for the mafia to gain trust, especially Luigi's.

Joey- Joey's story would be a bit like Toni's, except while Toni easily gets Sal's acceptance without realizing what he has, Joey would actually have to work for it. Classic "daddy issues".

Ray- Perfect chance for a corrupt cop character. It could take place in the 70's or 80's with a younger Ray, and show him becoming more and more corrupt. Fans want a corrupt cop, so here would be a nice chance.

I really wished for a game with Miguel for a good while after LCS. Shame it won't happen officially ;)

Would be cool to have one of the missions mid-game/near-end being picking up Claude and Catalina from the bank and when you park in the alleyway the game tells you to wait while the betrayal scene plays out right near you and you do the getaway. Sort of like that MAFIA 2 SPOILERS

Tommy Angelo scene in Mafia 2

• Like 2

I really wished for a game with Miguel for a good while after LCS. Shame it won't happen officially ;)

Would be cool to have one of the missions mid-game/near-end being picking up Claude and Catalina from the bank and when you park in the alleyway the game tells you to wait while the betrayal scene plays out right near you and you do the getaway. Sort of like that MAFIA 2 SPOILERS

Tommy Angelo scene in Mafia 2

If they did do Miguel, I think it would be interesting to also see the story of III through his eyes, despite what happens. Missions revolving around the upkeep of the Colombians while Catalina's off doing something crazy would be neat. We could see what he would do after Cutting the Grass. The ending could play out like in GTA Advance *shudders* where you can still play afterwards, no matter how the ending played out.

• Like 2

If they did do Miguel, I think it would be interesting to also see the story of III through his eyes, despite what happens. Missions revolving around the upkeep of the Colombians while Catalina's off doing something crazy would be neat. We could see what he would do after Cutting the Grass. The ending could play out like in GTA Advance *shudders* where you can still play afterwards, no matter how the ending played out.

Yeah, EFLC showed parallel stories separatedly make a better story telling than all in one like V (in my opinion), and even if we could play VC through the eyes of Lance or someone else while Tommy's quest for power happens, it'd be cool as hell.

The ending could work multiple ways, maybe even put another character like his cousin or a brother to do more ''things'' around the world, like RDR.

• Like 2
The Byzantine Empire

Massimo Torini. I didn't really understand his rivalry with Sal.

The Sicilian Mafia wants a piece of cake from Liberty City, taking control over the Liberty City Hall. The biggest problem in their way is other three big Italian Mafia families who wants to control the city( Forelli, Sindacco, Leone).

The Leones hit the Sindaccos very hard, the Leone Mafia become too powerful in city then the Sicilan Mafia organised non-italian crime rings against the Leones to make them weak.

With Toni's actions, the Leone stands its ground, Sindacco and Forelli battle each other and they become very weak so the only rivals are the Leone Mafia and Torini's Sicilian Mafia.

I'm not with you on Miguel. Came off as a side-bitch to Catalina and a bit thick skulled. Weird traits fot a protagonist.

That's a way to look at things, but maybe all he wanted was her attention and he had a love interest in her but never dared to ask. Hell, even Claude did.

Thick skulled in what way? If you mean the Asuka torture scene, then he was simply also defending Catalina because he most likely liked her. It's not being a side-bitch, just love.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Nah Mega, you're wrong as usual. I don't think Catalina would put up with anyone that wouldn't be her side bitch for too long, I mean look how she treated Carl.

comet_

Nah Mega, you're wrong as usual. I don't think Catalina would put up with anyone that wouldn't be her side bitch for too long, I mean look how she treated Carl.

Screw you mate :die:

Man you don't know anything about women, she treated Carl like that because she loved him but she was a tough girl and tested him most of the times. It was probably one of the few cases of true love in this franchise and OP CJ failed to deliver. Thanks CJ.

Miguel and Claude on the other hand were probably just tools for her, but she could still seduct both of them into doing her wishes. She was dangerous.

• 4 years later...
iiCriminnaaL

Probably Catalina.

It would've been interesting to see the Colombian Cartel as the protagonist gang, as well as Catalina and how she ranked up to being the leader.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
jaylenpizarro12

joey leone before the events of gta 3

Edited by jaylenpizarro12
Naughtius Maximus

I don't actually mind Toni as a protagonist but what I do mind is how Liberty City Stories comes up short as a mob-driven story. LCS would have been one of my favourite GTA games if it had handled the mob storyline much much more better. Rather than a mafia-oriented story, LCS generally feels like a buddy comedy-drama between Sal and Toni. That's what grinds my gears. Worse yet, the story does nothing to improve the character development for either Sal and Toni. They generally feel like the same Sal and Toni we already know.

Coming to the question of topic, I don't care if the protagonist was to be Tommy or anyone else, I would like to see Liberty City in 1971. Balanced between the wacky side of 3D Era and the realistic side of HD Era, a Liberty City in 1971 story could easily make into a perfect GTA game. The dynamics between the three mafia families in '70s, a proto-Diablos gang in Hepburn Heights, Yakuzas ascending to power in Staunton Island, a Bumpy Johnson or Frank Lucas reminiscent figure in the suburbs of Shoreside Vale, Colombians trying to base in LC before the boom of cocaine epidemic and a satirical take on America during the Vietnam War... lots of stories to see.

Edited by Rebel Yell
  • Like 3
Zello
On 7/19/2020 at 6:45 PM, Rebel Yell said:

I don't actually mind Toni as a protagonist but what I do mind is how Liberty City Stories comes up short as a mob-driven story. LCS would have been one of my favourite GTA games if it had handled the mob storyline much much more better. Rather than a mafia-oriented story, LCS generally feels like a buddy comedy-drama between Sal and Toni. That's what grinds my gears. Worse yet, the story does nothing to improve the character development for either Sal and Toni. They generally feel like the same Sal and Toni we already know.

Same. The Mafia focused part of the game was lacking.  We needed more focus on the Leone Family in the story. Joey Leone and Luigi should have been given major roles and Mickey Hamfists should have gotten a couple more appearances. They also needed to introduce more members of the Leone Family and how exactly they operate with different subcrews and factions within the family.

I think one of the things that was missing was sort of a gathering place or a local hangout. After you got rid of the Sindacco's Luigi's club would have been the perfect spot. In TLAD R* had the perfect idea with the clubhouse where you got to hang out with a lot of your Lost MC brothers. Mafia I even though it was linear did something like that with Salieri's bar.

Luigi's should have been an early version of the TLAD clubhouse imo

Back on topic though. I think Mickey Hamfists would have made a better protagonist. We hardly know much about him so Rockstar would have had a blank slate to start with and he can fit in anywhere doing work for Luigi or Salvatore and the rest of the Leones.

Edited by Zello
  • Like 3
VenusianDream

It'd have been cool to see a prequel with 8-Ball. He's works freelance like Claude, but does a lot of work for the Leone family so we could've still gotten that Mafia-esque storyline. There's just something about him that gives off a protagonist vibe, and I thought he was gonna be in more missions when I first played GTA III. 

Edited by VenusianDream
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...
DR:BUSTA
On 7/20/2020 at 12:45 AM, Naughtius Maximus said:

Balanced between the wacky side of 3D Era and the realistic side of HD Era

Yeah sure I do see Flying cars , bikes and Lazer guns as something realistic