Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zmoonchild

Japanese version of San Andreas: A REVIEW [PS2'

zmoonchild

Within the past year I purchased the Japanese version of San Andreas, so I thought I'd go ahead and share some of the things about it.

Here are some pictures of the disc and case.

hHc70d.pngKxg42p.png

The Japanese version was only released on PlayStation 2; specifically, the Japanese NTSC PlayStation 2, which I purchased:

URVyEi.jpg

One of the interesting things about the Japanese PlayStation 2 is the fact that the xbttn.gif and obttn.gif buttons are reversed. They're in the same location on the gamepads, but the functions are opposite from the North American NTSC system and the PAL systems. All of the rest of the controls appear to be the same.

The Japanese PlayStation 2 operates at 100V, which meant I had to get a power converter in order to power it up properly.

The game was never released for the North American NTSC version. It was also not released on the PAL PlayStation 2.

According to the official Rockstar Japanese website (the link doesn't always work), the Japanese version of San Andreas was officially released on January 25, 2007.

>>Translation<<

I purchased this game, along with several other versions of San Andreas (NTSC & PAL) from two different platforms (PlayStation 2 & XBox), to show any differences that may exist among them. I've been slowly uploading videos of them to my YouTube channels. I also play the game with a keyboard & mouse by use of a hard-to find SmartJoy Frag.

My discoveries so far:

It appears that the Japanese version is Version 2, not Version 1. According to GameFAQs, there were three Japanese versions of San Andreas released, but the only difference appears to be in the physical appearance of the disc and box. I own the original of the three, which has a product ID number SLPM-65984.

There appears to be an age verification screen that appears when the game starts up. I'm not sure though because I can't translate it.

zcf1Zt.jpg

The game does not have the orange hue that is normally seen on the PlayStation 2 version of San Andreas; possibly because it's not Version 1.

Here's a video of the intro:

Inadequate

2007? Wow... a very long time after the original 2004 release. Poor nippon gaming's.

Also, very nice and precious piece of history you have there. A rare PS2 San Andreas copy first release japanese version. :p

Edited by inadequate

PowerKracker

The O/X reversal has been a common thing since PS1, the only games to my knowledge to preserve the original Japanese layout in the Western releases were the Gran Turismo games.

PhillBellic

Did you skip the opening cutscene?

zmoonchild

Yes, I just wanted the video to focus on the differences, so I skipped past the actual introduction and the first cut-scene with CJ. They didnt add anything new.

Also, as a minor correction to my original post, according to Play-Asia, there was another Japanese version of San Andreas. It was also published and distributed by CAPCOM. However, the fourth and final version was actually published by Rockstar, not CAPCOM.

Product ID list from CAPCOM:

1) SLPM-65984 - Jan 25, 2007

2) SLPM-66788 - Jul 12, 2007

3) SLPM-55092 - Jul 23, 2009

Product ID list from Rockstar:

4) SLPM-55292 - Sep 29, 2011

All Japanese versions of San Andreas received a CERO (Computer Entertainment Rating Organization) rating of Z, which is 18+ (adults only).

rating_mark.gif

Edited by zmoonchild

NTAuthority

One of the interesting things about the Japanese PlayStation 2 is the fact that the xbttn.gif and obttn.gif buttons are reversed. They're in the same location on the gamepads, but the functions are opposite from the North American NTSC system and the PAL systems. All of the rest of the controls appear to be the same.

East Asian cultures use 'O' for 'affirmative/correct' a lot.

There appears to be an age verification screen that appears when the game starts up. I'm not sure though because I can't translate it.

zcf1Zt.jpg

Going by the '400 KB' and '(PS2)' text, I'm assuming it's mentioning something related to one of the PS2 memory cards.

TJGM

The game does not have the orange hue that is normally seen on the PlayStation 2 version of San Andreas; possibly because it's not Version 1.

Erm, are you sure about that? You can see it in the video just before the guy goes onto the pause menu.

NTAuthority

Oh, also, just for technological reasons I'd be interested in the content of the TEXT/ folder (if any) or any .gxt files that exist on the DVD (which should be able to be read by any PC DVD drive, and shouldn't be much more than a few megabytes) - mainly because SA handled translations differently from III/VC, and to see how the Japanese translation was handled in this game in the context of GTA tech history. :)

Ss4gogeta0

I am curious if there was any texture edits... especially for things that are banned in japanese culture... or just minor texture edits to translate certain things...

zmoonchild

Erm, are you sure about that? You can see it in the video just before the guy goes onto the pause menu.

It's not polite to 'Erm' in public. And yes, I'm sure about the orange hue. I admit there might be a slight hint of it, but it's substantially reduced. It's nowhere near as pronounced as it is in a Version 1 game. The screen color during normal gameplay moreover resembles that of the original PC and original XBox versions of the game.

Oh, also, just for technological reasons I'd be interested in the content of the TEXT/ folder (if any) or any .gxt files that exist on the DVD (which should be able to be read by any PC DVD drive, and shouldn't be much more than a few megabytes) - mainly because SA handled translations differently from III/VC, and to see how the Japanese translation was handled in this game in the context of GTA tech history. :)

Yep. I found it. Its called JAPANESE.GXT at 635 KB.

I can upload it for you. Do you know of a file sharing site I can use? All of the sites I use either don't exist anymore or have become paid services only.

I am curious if there was any texture edits... especially for things that are banned in japanese culture... or just minor texture edits to translate certain things...

I havent seen anything so far, but I will keep looking.

Vanzant

I have the exact same import copy. There's nothing changed as far as I have seen.

TJGM

It's not polite to 'Erm' in public. And yes, I'm sure about the orange hue. I admit there might be a slight hint of it, but it's substantially reduced. It's nowhere near as pronounced as it is in a Version 1 game. The screen color during normal gameplay moreover resembles that of the original PC and original XBox versions of the game.

No, it really doesn't.

'Japanese' version:

yDnp1oX.png

Any other PS2 version:

ue9Gvyq.png

PC version:

qiCXrOn.png

Edited by TJGM

don ovdi' island

Yes, I just wanted the video to focus on the differences, so I skipped past the actual introduction and the first cut-scene with CJ. They didnt add anything new.

Also, as a minor correction to my original post, according to Play-Asia, there was another Japanese version of San Andreas. It was also published and distributed by CAPCOM. However, the fourth and final version was actually published by Rockstar, not CAPCOM.

Product ID list from CAPCOM:

1) SLPM-65984 - Jan 25, 2007

2) SLPM-66788 - Jul 12, 2007

3) SLPM-55092 - Jul 23, 2009

Product ID list from Rockstar:

4) SLPM-55292 - Sep 29, 2011

All Japanese versions of San Andreas received a CERO (Computer Entertainment Rating Organization) rating of Z, which is 18+ (adults only).

rating_mark.gif

Strange how they use Latin characters in a rating system when the rest of the Japanese characters are completely different.

lil weasel

Strange how they use Latin characters in a rating system when the rest of the Japanese characters are completely different.

They are also using the Hindu-Arabic numerals too. Edited by lil weasel

SANAN7

If anyone's curious what the Japanese text says:

"There is no memory card (PS2) inserted into slot 1.

A memory card with 400KB or more of free disc space is required to save.

Will you begin the game as it is?

Rewrite

Yes"

Nothing out of the ordinary.

Dude Arnav

Yep. I found it. Its called JAPANESE.GXT at 635 KB.

I can upload it for you. Do you know of a file sharing site I can use? All of the sites I use either don't exist anymore or have become paid services only.

I havent seen anything so far, but I will keep looking.

You can upload it on MEGA or Mediafire.

Unity™

Wew, Is It possible to get the Japanese version on PC In 2018 Is the question.