Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,778 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Journey_95

How would Ballad of Gay Tony be if Rockstar made it more like..

Journey_95

GTA IV and Tlad? Both had good stories (even though Tlad was too short)
it seems that after all the criticism from people who wanted more over the top sh*t as opposed to a serious story they eventually said ok and made TBoGT the way it is now (pretty bad)

especially after playing GTA IV and Tlad it feels completely strange instead of having a good story and awesome characters we just blow sh*t up

it doesn't belong in the Trilogy

So how would the story be different if TBoGT if Rockstar followed their supposed original plan?

Edited by Journey_95

SmokesWithCigs

didn't luis make an appeareance in the three leaf clover mission? didn't luis rob johnny and niko? there you have it his story ties in with the other two thats why. what do you mean good story? its all the same story all three games are one story woven together. i don't know what game your playing but tbogt is fun. great action filled missions great side criminal activities like drug wars. great side activies like club management and club dancing, bottle popping contest fight, club etc. imo its the best out of the three. why are you guys on this site so concerned with the story anyway. its a video game not a freakin' movie. what are you a film critic? luis is a bouncer/bodyguard for a gay club owner whats not to understand?

Journey_95

didn't luis make an appeareance in the three leaf clover mission? didn't luis rob johnny and niko? there you have it his story ties in with the other two thats why. what do you mean good story? its all the same story all three games are one story woven together. i don't know what game your playing but tbogt is fun. great action filled missions great side criminal activities like drug wars. great side activies like club management and club dancing, bottle popping contest fight, club etc. imo its the best out of the three. why are you guys on this site so concerned with the story anyway. its a video game not a freakin' movie. what are you a film critic? luis is a bouncer/bodyguard for a gay club owner whats not to understand?

dude chill the f*ck out

of course the characters would have been largely the same I'm talking about the tone since GTA IV and Tlad were dark and serious

and for TBoGT to be so light hearted and over the top ..doesn'T fit the GTA IV Saga at all

Also no I'm not a film critic but a good story is important in games too and its a good thing that not only people on this site but in general like a good story in games

the times with games having sh*tty stories are over thank god (mostly at least)

so grow the f*ck up don't care about story ? fine but don't critize those who do and also TboGT had a terrible story

fefenc

If TBoGT was made like GTA IV, Luis would be only one more crybaby protagonist trying to be the poor guy of the story during the entire game.

TBoGT is perfect, it has balanced the depressive mood from GTA IV and TLAD.

By the logic, the third expansion of GTA V will be dark and gritty full of characters that cut their own arms and blaming michael america for everything...

Edited by fefenc

DaWiesel

The fact that it feels different from IV and TLaD is the reason why it's an awesome game. It showed LC from a different side and I loved it. You should be happy with IV and TLaD, so why not give the people who like a more over the top story an own DLC? And especially why not give people that enjoy both dark and light hearted story different DLCs, like me? Having the same gritty and depressing story for a third time would be lazy and boring from R* side IMO.

Journey_95

If TBoGT was made like GTA IV, Luis would be only one more crybaby protagonist trying to be the poor guy of the story during the entire game.

By the logic, the third expansion of GTA V will be dark and gritty full of characters that cut their own arms and blaming michael america for everything...

like he isn't a crybaby now lol

The fact that it feels different from IV and TLaD is the reason why it's an awesome game. It showed LC from a different side and I loved it. You should be happy with IV and TLaD, so why not give the people who like a more over the top story an own DLC? And especially why not give people that enjoy both dark and light hearted story different DLCs, like me? Having the same gritty and depressing story for a third time would be lazy and boring from R* side IMO.

I disagree especially when doing a complete GTAIV Saga playthrough the change in tone is jarring

I don't mind over the top (like in GTA V) but here it just drags certain events and characters that were serious in GTA IV and Tlad down (like the joke Ray Bulgarin became)

Edited by Journey_95

gunziness

The IV trilogy needed some change of pace after TLAD. If TBOGT was serious and dark it would be more of the same. I dont say thats bad, but it would turn repetitive very quick IMO.

The contrast you feel when you first play it after finishing TLAD is amazing, at least for me. It felt good and it gave you a nice feeling after the utterly depressing ending of its predessesor.

B Dawg

All TBOGT had to do, was not make such sh*tty, annoying side characters and make you work in a club with sh*tty music/start up in a safehouse with sh*tty music, with overdone pink HUD and menus, CJ! Then it would have been actually good.

Edited by B Dawg

woggleman

TBOGT is great the way it is. It makes you see LC from a different perspective and gives you a side of New York that actually does exist in real life.

Algonquin Assassin

I've grown to appreciate TBOGT over the years, but IMO it's still the inferior of the three games. Luis will never have the appeal that Niko and Johnny do to me.

Nico

IMO TBOGT isn't bad, R* just realized that a gritty and dark story isn't what most players really wanted. So they went back to the path they started with SA. What I don't like about this DLC, it was the start of the mission checkpoins. AKA let them set the way how you must play the mission.

At least TBOGT has good crime-based side missions, unlike V.

Algonquin Assassin

IMO TBOGT isn't bad, R* just realized that a gritty and dark story isn't what most players really wanted. So they went back to the path they started with SA. What I don't like about this DLC, it was the start of the mission checkpoins. AKA let them set the way how you must play the mission.

At least TBOGT has good crime-based side missions, unlike V.

I enjoy the caged fighting and drug wars, but on the story front it's as bad as GTA V IMO although I find the characters slightly more tolerable.

dognuts

TBoGT completes the IV saga. IV is dark, TLAD is grimy and TBoGT is glamorous. I prefer the other two over it, but i still love TBoGT. The story is sub par, but i love how it ties in with the rest of the saga. And i loved most of the characters. I prefer the wacky style of TBoGT over GTA V. At least it was crime oriented. The whole IV saga, i rank as the best GTA games. 1 - GTA IV, 2 - TLAD, 3 - TBoGT. I love the whole cycle of it. So, in my opinion, TBoGT is perfectly fine in the style it is.

Zello

I liked it TBOGT really rediscovered LC again it went from being a dark depressing place to showing us all of the lights and the nightlife of LC. I remember passing by Maisonette in TBOGT and seeing how different the area looked like compared to IV and TLAD where you would pass by it all the time in TBOGT it's one of the hottest clubs in the city and the place to be.

TBOGT fits into the GTA IV trilogy even though it is odd it's all connected R* kinda made IV like Pulp fiction the thing with the diamonds, Three leaf clover, Bulgarin, Ray etc...

Journey_95

TBoGT completes the IV saga. IV is dark, TLAD is grimy and TBoGT is glamorous. I prefer the other two over it, but i still love TBoGT. The story is sub par, but i love how it ties in with the rest of the saga. And i loved most of the characters. I prefer the wacky style of TBoGT over GTA V. At least it was crime oriented. The whole IV saga, i rank as the best GTA games. 1 - GTA IV, 2 - TLAD, 3 - TBoGT. I love the whole cycle of it. So, in my opinion, TBoGT is perfectly fine in the style it is.

yeah I don't mind that it shows us another side of LC

but they could have done that with a much better story and characters

KogerOnControls

dude chill the f*ck out

of course the characters would have been largely the same I'm talking about the tone since GTA IV and Tlad were dark and serious

and for TBoGT to be so light hearted and over the top ..doesn'T fit the GTA IV Saga at all

Also no I'm not a film critic but a good story is important in games too and its a good thing that not only people on this site but in general like a good story in games

so grow the f*ck up don't care about story ? fine but don't critize those who do and also TboGT had a terrible story

What's so hard to understand ? Niko , which is 30 , is looking for the men who betrayed him in the yugoslavian war. He seeks revenge and peace.

Johnny is a 34 year old man who's is a motorcycle club with some dirty business on the side. Of course he'd be more serious and the story would be a little darker.

And then you have Luis , who's 24. He's been freshly released from prison and met Gay Tony. He went to prison for shooting his teacher who felt up his sister. He took the opportunity that Tony gave him to change things around . He has no reason to seek revenge.

And then with the over-the-top stuff... He's young and doesn't care too much about what he's doing. I can't see how they could've made his part of the story darker.

Journey_95

dude chill the f*ck out

What's so hard to understand ? Niko , which is 30 , is looking for the men who betrayed him in the yugoslavian war. He seeks revenge and peace.

Johnny is a 34 year old man who's is a motorcycle club with some dirty business on the side. Of course he'd be more serious and the story would be a little darker.

And then you have Luis , who's 24. He's been freshly released from prison and met Gay Tony. He went to prison for shooting his teacher who felt up his sister. He took the opportunity that Tony gave him to change things around . He has no reason to seek revenge.

And then with the over-the-top stuff... He's young and doesn't care too much about what he's doing. I can't see how they could've made his part of the story darker.

still doesn't excuse the bad characters (especially poor Ray Bulgarin who was menacing in IV and a total joke in Ballad of gay tony)

but hey everyone has their preferences

PhillBellic

It would have a more serious vibe to it.

Funktipus

Exactly!

BurnettVice

So what was the original plan for tbogt and how was it gonna be dark?

mr quick

I've grown to appreciate TBOGT over the years, but IMO it's still the inferior of the three games. Luis will never have the appeal that Niko and Johnny do to me.

I don't get the hate TBOGT gets. It's another angle on the same game, I think it's wonderful. 3 varieties of grit might not have offered the variety to justify having 3 different games.

The Deadite

I don't get the hate TBOGT gets. It's another angle on the same game, I think it's wonderful. 3 varieties of grit might not have offered the variety to justify having 3 different games.

I agree, but the story could have been better, now that i realize, most of V's ugliest qualities where already present in TBOGT.

Journey_95

I'm all for a different angle and I didn't expect it to be as dark as Tlad or IV (wouldn't fit) but they could have at least given us a well written story and a better protag + better side characters.

Instead the story sucked ass, Luis was terrible and basically every side character was obnoxious.

The side activities were fun I guess... but thats it

Not to mention how jarring it is, if you do a complete GTA IV playthrough (IV+ Episodes). It just doesn't fit

Compared to Tlad and IV, its just disappointing and it showed that Rockstar was pandering to IV haters (which V continued).

Edited by Journey_95

B Dawg

The super terrible characters (and music) were what was holding the game back so hard.

Algonquin Assassin

I'm all for a different angle and I didn't expect it to be as dark as Tlad or IV (wouldn't fit) but they could have at least given us a well written story and a better protag + better side characters.

Instead the story sucked ass, Luis was terrible and basically every side character was obnoxious.

Not to mention how jarring it is, if you do a complete GTA IV playthrough (IV+ Episodes). It just doesn't fit

Compared to Tlad and IV, its just disappointing and it showed that Rockstar was pandering to IV haters (which V continued).

To be honest TBOGT has always felt a bit like an afterthought. I still stand by that it has grown on me over the years and I do enjoy the night life atmosphere it brings, but it doesn't tie in with GTA IV as well as TLAD does.

I would've preferred an episode in its place revolving around the McRearies with Packie as the protagonist. Packie would be more interesting as a protagonist than Luis IMO. TBOGT is still a really good game it just isn't as great as GTA IV and TLAD.

Journey_95

To be honest TBOGT has always felt a bit like an afterthought. I still stand by that it has grown on me over the years and I do enjoy the night life atmosphere it brings, but it doesn't tie in with GTA IV as well as TLAD does.

I would've preferred an episode in its place revolving around the McRearies with Packie as the protagonist. Packie would be more interesting as a protagonist than Luis IMO. TBOGT is still a really good game it just isn't as great as GTA IV and TLAD.

I'm not a fan of TBOGT but I don't think it was an afterthought.

I imagine the story would have been different (and much better) if people didn't get so butthurt over IV and Tlad's seriousness and dark tone.

Its just badly written and over the top crazy just so those people can shut up.

But the way the story ties in with the main game is pretty good. The whole deal with Gracie, the diamonds etc. I definitely think that Rockstar planned it. Its very well done.

I still would have liked a McRearies episode but I'm not sure what it would have been about. They are already a big part of IV's storyline.

Edited by Journey_95

American Viking

Well, for starters I know I would like it a hell of alot more. I too think most of the direction they went in TBoGT was simply to please the complainers who griped about GTA IV's dark tone. I look at TBoGT as the prequel to GTA V's over the top nonsense. The sad part is, TBoGT would have been really good if they had kept that dark tone and gotten rid of the fruity pink colors and ridiculous characters...like Mori. They really should have chilled Mori's character out and not made Brucie look like a chump.

UshaB

I love TBOGT, but there are a few things that were in need of change.

• Firstly, the script wasn't that great. I would've liked some serious grit about it, not sure what though.
  • The characters. I hate Henrique, Armando,Yusuf, Mori and the way Brucie and Bulgarin were seen in this version.
  • And, Luis should of been able to purchase different clothing.

Some of the over-the-top stuff made sense because of Luis' perspective of LC. It being glamourous due to the hot nightclubs, his young age and atjletic physique. So in that aspect it kinda made sense.

I do like Luis' character, but he needed more depth to him.

A few side missions could of been included such as if you beat up that Mr. T looking guy in, "Momma's Boy" and didn't duck. Mr. T would go after Henrique, Amando or even his mum just to spice things up a bit.

I would of liked a menacing Bulgarin that would come after everyone close to Luis to make some intense moments, such as replacing that chef's head with his mothers dun dUN DUNNN!!!! Leading to a darker, grittier Luis Lopez than we've ever seen before. Leaving the last missions to be the dark side that keeps that IV and TLAD vibe but using over-the-top killing methods.

Edited by UshaB

Majestic81

What makes you think this wasnt their original plan? To me the idea of TBOGT was to be the opposite of IV and TLAD.

After the revenge and sorrowful storyline of Niko that ends with a sad death at the end. and then the gritty, gloomy atmosphere in TLAD. TBOGT was the perfect thing to lighten things up.

HaythamKenway

I believe they planned for TBoGT to be more lighthearted and over the top right from the start too. What did changed was their original plans for the story, I think. Luis being present during the bank robbery serves no purpose in the final game, except for some fancy fanservice (he doesn't even go down to the vault to get the rest of the money, as Niko's line about some being left there, would lead you to believe), previously established Dominicans like Oscar and Alonso play no role in the story, instead being replaced with Armando and Henrique, Brucie's brother just shows up out of nowhere to become a major character (it makes sense for Brucie not to tell Niko about him, but still, if he was planned during IV, you'd expect some hints to his existence)...

It's just my assumption, but I think originally TBoGT was supposed to be more grounded. Still not all serious and grim like IV and TLaD, but with much heavier emphasis on the story. Perhaps the Luis' conflicting loyalties between Tony and his old Dominican friends (Oscar and Alonso in the original version) and their gang would have played much larger role in the story. Old life, that is hard and full of gang violence, but with people Luis grew up with and he can trust, versus a new life that is glamorous, but full of two-faced liars and no one to rely on. But then Rockstar saw the reaction to IV and TLaD and just went, screw it, people want some careless fun, so the story ended up being much lighter and more focused on just spending time with entertaining weirdos Luis has to work for. Character writing and fun situations took precedence over themes and organized crime.

In the end, I'm happy how TBoGT turned out. It was just what IV needed to be a complete package and the quality of story in IV and TLaD easily balances out TBoGT's weaknesses. If we'd take TBoGT on its own, it would be lacking, sure, but as a missing piece to IV's greater picture, it works wonderfully.