2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

SouthLand

Distant License Plates spotted

Svip

This reminds me, would it be unproblematic to drive a car on European plates (and registered in Europe) in North America? I mean, it seems to be little issue driving a car on North American plates in Europe.

Not on the back. Most, if not all, American states require licence plates on the rear of the vehicle but not on the front.

I don't think you understood my question. I am asking whether I could drive a car registered in Europe in North America.

TheMcSame

This reminds me, would it be unproblematic to drive a car on European plates (and registered in Europe) in North America? I mean, it seems to be little issue driving a car on North American plates in Europe.

Not on the back. Most, if not all, American states require licence plates on the rear of the vehicle but not on the front.

I don't think you understood my question. I am asking whether I could drive a car registered in Europe in North America.

As long as it meets the state laws then yes. The only problem you might face in some states is the emission laws, I don't think EU regulations are as strict as states like California when it comes to emissions.

Edited by TheMcSame

Svip

As long as it meets the state laws then yes. The only problem you might face in some states is the emission laws, I don't think EU regulations are as strict as states like California when it comes to emissions.

Are there exemptions for older cars? I mean, I've seen classic European cars imported to the US. And I doubt they've made any modification to fit regulations. Because I will admit, I have thought about driving my DS around North America.

TheMcSame

Are there exemptions for older cars? I mean, I've seen classic European cars imported to the US. And I doubt they've made any modification to fit regulations. Because I will admit, I have thought about driving my DS around North America.

I assume there would be some exceptions but it likely varies by state.

SouthLand

Just spotted a car from Gomel, Belarus in my neighborhood (3.220 km // 2000mi)

0b7d0f99dcd7be010adc87c7fd36e0fao.jpg

9714a9855fb212f610f774f7d13c0d97o.jpg

ArcadeWilliamz

I've once spotted an new Range Rover driving around with UK plates on it but it's very unusual to find cars driving around in Australia with foreign plates.

Edited by Willstig998

SouthLand

I've once spotted an new Range Rover driving around with UK plates on it but it's very unusual to find cars driving around in Australia with foreign plates.

UK plates are common in places that did belong or still belong to the United Kingdom. I even found out that shipping a car from England to Hong Kong and doing the registration is quite easy and fast.

Ezza.

Are you sure it just wasn't one of those fancy Queensland Plates that you can get? They seem pretty common on Range Rovers and Mercs. Like this:

PuZxLDI.png

OT: One of my old mates has a Chevy 1980 Chevy K5 Blazer SIlverado with California plates, which is quite rare over here.

Svip

Man, that Queensland plate is not much a glyph away from saying 'OLD'.

PhillBellic

I have seen WA plates here in NSW.

ArcadeWilliamz

Are you sure it just wasn't one of those fancy Queensland Plates that you can get? They seem pretty common on Range Rovers and Mercs. Like this:

PuZxLDI.png

OT: One of my old mates has a Chevy 1980 Chevy K5 Blazer SIlverado with California plates, which is quite rare over here.

Nah the rear plate was yellow & said GB on it I could tell it was from there. In case your wondering

On Topic: In my city (Cairns) I see plenty of Victorians, Western Australians, South Australians & Territorians get around because they moved here.

SouthLand

Years ago my family and I took a cruise that stopped at a few Carebbean island (Bahamas, US Virgin Islands and Saint Martin).

When we arrived at Sant Martin we decided to go on a tour from the Island. The funny part is that the Island is divided into Two. You might remember this island for it's famous airport: Google "Princess Juliana Airport"

Saint_martin_map.PNG

While the Dutch side is a Constituent country the Northern French side is part of France. Funny thing is that calling to Paris from the North Side(French) is not considered an International call while calling the Dutch Neighbors it is :lol:

Anyways, so when the cruise arrived at this island, it docked at the Dutch side and we hired a tour the cruise staff offered us to visit both parts of the islands. When the tour guide arrived he gave us Dutch Side car plates for free (One per family) And in the northern side i found a flea market and my girlfriend who speaks a little French help me out to buy a French side licence plate por 12€ (Euros are used in the northern side of the islands instead of US Dollars like the south side)

So here are both the plates i brought from my journey:

Dutch Side:

553357_10152591781312811_815505087538807

FRENCH SIDE

11025769_10152591781232811_6753773118881

xolov

I just saw a BMW M6 registered in Leningrad Oblast, Russia in Pimlico, London, UK

jatiger13

Nvm

Edited by jatiger13

Maxxi

Classic cars are usually exempt if they are older than 25 years old. Import laws require the car to be fitted to regulations unless it is 25 years old or older.

Illousion

I used to see a black Lexus LX (2007ish) with California plates running around Stockholm but I never see it anymore. Otherwise common plates are from old Soviet countries and Romania with all the gypsies around here.

SouthLand

I was driving back home after watching tonight's football game at a friends house when i saw a brand new VW Golf GTI with Gibraltar plates on it.

R000.jpg

I know it's not distant however they are extremely rare to spot unless you go to Gibraltar or town that are close. I have only seen two Gibraltar plates in my life and the first one was when i was 10 years old.

Svip

I see plenty Gibraltar plates in France.

SouthLand

I see plenty Gibraltar plates in France.

Are you sure they are from Gibraltar and not Jersey or Guernsey?

K^2

Recently saw a Hyundai Tucson with Arizona plates driving around Los Gatos, CA. Not a distant plate by any great measure, but it gave me a chuckle.

DMC14

PuZxLDI.png

Nah the rear plate was yellow & said GB on it I could tell it was from there. In case your wondering

On Topic: In my city (Cairns) I see plenty of Victorians, Western Australians, South Australians & Territorians get around because they moved here.

not to mention all the people that would drive up there on holidays.

SouthLand

I saw a very rare plate today. Couldn't take a picture so angry about it.

I was heading back home after picking up a friend from the airport when a Mercedes S Class just like this one:

2000_mercedes-benz_s-class_sedan_s430_fq

Overtook me and when i looked at the back he had Transnistria plates on it! Rare as f*ck. I get to see a lot of plates from Romania and a few from Moldova but Transnistria is very rare. Never seen a plate in my life.

Information on Transnistria (Non-recognized Communistt State)

Still i mean, How can a car with a licence plate from a country that's is not recognized by anyone has gone so far from home without the cops pulling him over?

SouthLand

St. Petersburg - Sitges, Spain

3.599 km (2236mi)

Big trip :panic:

10153639_10152812999292811_8870088009056

GTA-Biker

I often see people driving cars with German plates here in Croatia,even in areas away from the coast which don´t usually have a lot of tourists (like my city).I remember once seeing a car with American plates in Croatia,I think it was from Illinois,but I´m not sure,it was around 7-8 years ago.

Edited by LeopardGecko

xolov

Saw a Toyota Tacoma from Michigan some days ago

xolov

Spain

3dVKqNi.jpg

Lithuania

magH6MN.jpg

Gutslab

I saw a car with Alaska plates. At first I thought it was one of those annoying 'Don't Tread On Me' plates but when I got closer, I could see it was from AK. So the driving distance would be about 4,300 miles.

marco6158

Couldn't get a pic, but the other day I saw a car with a caravan coming from Sweden. It's at least 1636Km from where I live to Malmo, which is on the bottom of Sweden.

SouthLand

Saw an Audi Q7 with Latvian Plates

According to google maps 3089km