4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Fallcreek

Life is Strange

Fallcreek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPgiV0pT0wk

"What is this?"

Life Is Strange is an episodic interactive drama graphic adventure video game developed by Dontnod Entertainment (Another game of theirs was "Remember Me"), and published by Square Enix. The game's plot focuses on Maxine Caulfield, a photography student who discovers that she has the ability to rewind time at any moment, leading her every choice to enact the butterfly effect. The game will consist of five episodes. With six weeks between each episode, it released its first on 30 January 2015 (Ahem, today). Life Is Strange is available for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One and Xbox 360 via digital distribution.

Gameplay

Life Is Strange is a graphic adventure, played from a third-person view. Introducing the mechanic of rewinding time allows the player to go back and redo any action other than what is done past a checkpoint (however long a checkpoint lasts). The choices made will alter and affect the story through short, mid or long-term consequences (think Telltale's "The Walking Dead" or "Wolf Among Us") Dontnod creative director Jean-Maxime Moris added however that "for each one of your choices that you make there's no definite answer. Something good in the short-term might turn out worse later". Whenever a course of action poses an influence to the story, a butterfly symbol comes into view. Accessible possibilities are itemised at the end of each episode. Dialogue exchanges can be rewound while branching options are used for conversation. Once an event is reset, the details provided earlier are permitted to avail themselves in the future. Items that are collected before time traveling will be kept in the inventory after the fact. The player can also examine and interact with objects indicated by a system of hand drawn icons, which enables puzzle solving. As a large part of the gameplay relates to exploration, easter eggs have been implemented accordingly

Story

After five years of absence, senior photography student Maxine Caulfield (voiced by Hannah Telle) returns to her hometown of Arcadia Bay, Oregon. As she reunites with her estranged best friend Chloe Price (voiced by Ashley Burch), she discovers that Chloe's father had died the year Maxine left town. While Chloe was grieving her father, she found support in a girl named Rachel Amber, who later went missing under suspicious circumstances. Max and Chloe decide to investigate Rachel's disappearance, and as a result of which make their way to unravel the city's hidden secrets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_Is_Strange

Personal Comment: This game is super beautiful, with the art direction, lighting and OST. The story can be cliche at times, but I think it's definitely worth a look since it's out on all platforms for only 5 bucks.

D3L3TD

Just started downloading the demo for this on PSN. I personally think the premise for this game looks really, really cool. Might get the season pass too if I like it.

utack

First thing I noticed: Unreal Engine 3 and MSAA. 6 ears too late, but glad to have it in this game at least.

Second thing I noticed: It is getting really interesting and looking really good.

Third thing I noticed:

58655393.jpg

First Episode is pretty short, have not yet decided if the other 4 are worth the 16.99€, but I am definitly tempted.

Edited by utack

reiniat

This look like the videogame David Cage could never do.

Im interested, but ill get it when at least half episodes are done i hate to wait.

Edited by reiniat

PoeticWhisper

Man, I don't want to watch the trailer for that fresh experience, but I'm hyped as hell for episode 2. EP 1 was amazing. I need more Max & Chloe!

Red XIII

I played the demo on psn and damn its intriguing! The only thing that pissed me off was the occult symbols dotted around the game, every game seems to have it for some weird reason. Other than that it looks like a fresh experience.

LiangHuBBB

Ep 2 releases on the same day like bloodborne

hype

PoeticWhisper

GOD this game is great. Episode 2 was solid as hell, and one hell of an emotional roller coaster. I feel I f*cked up a few times on the way, but that's life right? I gotta go back and get all those photo op's I missed out on. The wait for Episode 3 is gonna blow. If you're reading this and haven't gotten the game yet, GET IT.

Fallcreek

Episode 2 was definitely really tense but i'm satisfied with my decisions lol. I just feel it in my gut.

Trademark

The ending to episode 2 was nothing short of beautiful.

D3ADSH0T

Can someone tell me how big this is on PSN please?

69_black_69

Episode 2 contain one of the best gaming moments of all time for me.
Gave me quite a shock, even though i knew what was going to happened that time. Just awesome and beautiful.

I want to hug Kate so freaking bad. Depression sucks...

When that scene happened, even though i knew it was going to happened the first time i touch eps 2, still my heart couldn't take it. My brain constantly said "This can't be happening" and "I need to save her!". Thank god i manage to save her.

Hope they handle next episode better than Telltale. I mean, i saved Kate, i hoped i get more interaction with her later on.
Unlike Telltale, even if you saved a character, they'll probably get a little screen time later on, and died anyway. :(

Yes, it would be hard and more complex to be implemented, but if Dontnod could nail it, they'll get my respect and my money for the rest of my life.

Thank god episodic story-based game like this managed to be popular. I absolutely loved 'em.

PoeticWhisper

Gave me quite a shock, even though i knew what was going to happened that time. Just awesome and beautiful.

When that scene happened, even though i knew it was going to happened the first time i touch eps 2, still my heart couldn't take it. My brain constantly said "This can't be happening" and "I need to save her!". Thank god i manage to save her.

Hope they handle next episode better than Telltale. I mean, i saved Kate, i hoped i get more interaction with her later on.

Unlike Telltale, even if you saved a character, they'll probably get a little screen time later on, and died anyway. :(

Yes, it would be hard and more complex to be implemented, but if Dontnod could nail it, they'll get my respect and my money for the rest of my life.

Thank god episodic story-based game like this managed to be popular. I absolutely loved 'em.

I wish I could've saved her, but I didn't look around her room enough apparently. I didn't see the letters from her Parents. Stupid me asked her about her Mom, and it ended in her jumping. I've never been this f*cked up about a video game death since Lee from TWD Season 1. I feel so bad I didn't manage to save her, and what's worse is that with her the truth about Nathan died.

Doesn't mean I'm gonna change it though, because even though I screwed up, changing it just wouldn't feel right. You know? It's like I can't change my actions in real life, so my decisions and choices have consequences, and this just happened to be a consequence of my ignorance. It's on me now, to make sure her death isn't in vain. F*ck Nathan man...

utack

Still keeping me from playing Episode 2 until I am back from a crappy notebook to my decent display.

From what you tell i can expect a lot :)

toxluv

This game seems to be very interesting, and brings a lot of freshness to the gaming industry. The trailers posted above are amazing, they actually gave me goosebumps - honestly. I'll definitely keep an eye on this game.

PoeticWhisper

This game seems to be very interesting, and brings a lot of freshness to the gaming industry. The trailers posted above are amazing, they actually gave me goosebumps - honestly. I'll definitely keep an eye on this game.

I highly recommend you to do so. It's only 20$ for all 5 episodes, which is honestly a steal.

toxluv

I highly recommend you to do so. It's only 20$ for all 5 episodes, which is honestly a steal.

Thanks for letting me know the price of this game. I currently don't own a PlayStation 3 (because of the YLoD), nor a PlayStation 4, but I'll definitely buy it once I'll have one of these consoles.

69_black_69

I wish I could've saved her, but I didn't look around her room enough apparently. I didn't see the letters from her Parents. Stupid me asked her about her Mom, and it ended in her jumping. I've never been this f*cked up about a video game death since Lee from TWD Season 1. I feel so bad I didn't manage to save her, and what's worse is that with her the truth about Nathan died.

Doesn't mean I'm gonna change it though, because even though I screwed up, changing it just wouldn't feel right. You know? It's like I can't change my actions in real life, so my decisions and choices have consequences, and this just happened to be a consequence of my ignorance. It's on me now, to make sure her death isn't in vain. F*ck Nathan man...

Yes, that would be the wisest choice. Even when playing Telltale games myself, i won't redo the choices i've made because of the same reason as yours.

I knew something bad was gonna happen to Kate because of the opening sequence, where Kate is seen in her room, crying and all alone.

So i took my time to know more about her.

Who do you guys blame though? Jefferson, David, or Nathan?

I still didn't trust Jefferson. I know Max idolized him, but that doesn't mean i should too.

And i believe David is a good guy, even though his way of dealing things is a little bit extreme. His dialog in the hallway makes me kinda feel bad for the guy.

Nathan is still a son of a bitch so far, so i blame him.

PoeticWhisper

Yes, that would be the wisest choice. Even when playing Telltale games myself, i won't redo the choices i've made because of the same reason as yours.

I knew something bad was gonna happen to Kate because of the opening sequence, where Kate is seen in her room, crying and all alone.

So i took my time to know more about her.

Who do you guys blame though? Jefferson, David, or Nathan?

I still didn't trust Jefferson. I know Max idolized him, but that doesn't mean i should too.

And i believe David is a good guy, even though his way of dealing things is a little bit extreme. His dialog in the hallway makes me kinda feel bad for the guy.

Nathan is still a son of a bitch so far, so i blame him.

Yeah, I blamed Nathan too. He's a huge c*nt man. I honestly hope he dies.

Fallcreek

Yeah, I also blamed Nathan. There's nothing redeeming about him so far, he's just a straight up dickhead.

I had no reason to really blame Jefferson, and I feel like there's more to David's motivations.

utack

Episode 1 was in the Square Enix easter surprise. And a coupon for 20% off the season pass.

So if you want to test Episode 1: Annoy your friends if they have the key left over.

If you want to buy the season pass: Annoy your friends if they have the 20% coupon left over.

PoeticWhisper

Episode 3 comes out on May 19th.

Same day as The Witcher 3 :(

Spider-Vice

Indeed it does, and I can't wait to see the trailer if there is one. This next episode is going to be "tense" as hell. :p

PoeticWhisper

Indeed it does, and I can't wait to see the trailer if there is one. This next episode is going to be "tense" as hell. :p

dont_nod sure do know how to throw curve balls.

Spider-Vice

The teaser picture is already great enough, coupled with the teaser at the end of the Episode 2.

Trademark

Playing episode 3 right before I dive into The Witcher 3 makes me believe my Tuesday can't possibly get any better.

Spider-Vice

Oh man, oh man, this is exciting.

If any of you roam around the LiS subreddit, there are some wild theories. It is quite interesting how Max is wearing Rachel's clothes in the trailer, apparently. May confirm one of those wild theories.

Edited by Spider-Vice

PoeticWhisper

Episode 3 was utterly amazing. Powerful and long. I loved it. Episode 4 PLEASEEEEE

Spider-Vice

I'm... equally flabbergasted at Episode 3, oh my f*cking God. Honestly I was expecting much less from Dontnod, these guys are geniuses! Bring Episode 4 on!

Edited by Spider-Vice