2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

What is your favourite / least favourite GTA?

Alien74

Grand Theft Auto  

1,242 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite GTA?

• Grand Theft Auto
    • Grand Theft Auto London 1969
    • Grand Theft Auto 2
    • Grand Theft Auto III
    • Grand Theft Auto Vice City
    • Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
    • Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories
    • Grand Theft Auto Vice City Stories
    • Grand Theft Auto IV
    • Grand Theft Auto The Lost and the Damned
    • Grand Theft Auto The Ballad of Gay Tony
    • Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars
    • Grand Theft Auto V
    • Grand Theft Auto Advance
  2. 2. What is your least favourite GTA?

• Grand Theft Auto
    • Grand Theft Auto London 1969
    • Grand Theft Auto 2
    • Grand Theft Auto III
    • Grand Theft Auto Vice City
    • Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
    • Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories
    • Grand Theft Auto Vice City Stories
    • Grand Theft Auto IV
    • Grand Theft Auto The Lost and the Damned
    • Grand Theft Auto The Ballad of Gay Tony
    • Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars
    • Grand Theft Auto V
    • Grand Theft Auto Advance

Algonquin Assassin
33 minutes ago, BabaFamilias said:

Whoopsie, didn't mean to offend you, you sir are not a kid 👍. You got me wrong. I meant, GTA IV has gotten a surprising massive peak of popularity in the recent years, isn't that suspicious to you? The kids whose first GTA was GTA IV were between 6-12 back in 2008, they are now 19-25, and these 19-25 year olds are now the majority of the GTA community (just my theory, didn't say it's the truth nor do I have a statistic). 

Suspicious in what way? I’d like to know where you’re getting these age figures from if at the same the you say you don’t have statistics nor it should be taken as the truth.

Sounds a bit contradictory like you’re trying to pass off baseless assumptions as facts and throwing around random numbers with nothing to substantiate them.

I’ve seen this “theory” countless times and it’s nothing more than insecurity. GTA IV’s upswing in popularity doesn’t affect the games you prefer more so who cares lol. 

Edited by MiamiViceCity1986
  • Like 4

GTA IV Signature V4 by Lettermaniac on DeviantArt

BabaFamilias
5 minutes ago, MiamiViceCity1986 said:

I’d like to know where you’re getting these age figures from if at the same the you say you don’t have statistics nor it should be taken as the truth.

That's my assumption at what age people first get into gaming, which I think is 6-12. Like I said, that's my assumption, I don't have any scientific statistic nor a survey on this. Don't know where you got the idea of thinking these are "facts", when I in fact made it clear, that it's my theory. 

10 minutes ago, MiamiViceCity1986 said:

I’ve seen this “theory” countless times and it’s nothing more than insecurity. GTA IV’s upswing in popularity doesn’t affect the games you prefer more so who cares lol. 

Now you are getting too personal and emotional. Calling someone in a discussion "insecure", because that person has a (unpopular) idea, is uncalled for. Nevertheless it's actually you, who is getting worked up, because someone dared to somewhat criticize your favorite game. My opinion on any game doesn't effect the games you prefer more, dear @MiamiViceCity1986 . So feel free to ignore me and enjoy your favorite game, cheers. 

Algonquin Assassin
38 minutes ago, BabaFamilias said:

Now you are getting too personal and emotional. Calling someone in a discussion "insecure", because that person has a (unpopular) idea, is uncalled for. Nevertheless it's actually you, who is getting worked up, because someone dared to somewhat criticize your favorite game. My opinion on any game doesn't effect the games you prefer more, dear @MiamiViceCity1986 . So feel free to ignore me and enjoy your favorite game, cheers. 

Likewise you can do the same if you don’t like being called out. Just some friendly advice. If you’re going to express your opinion then so will I. The “theory” as you like to put it does come off as insecure. You need to grow some thicker skin if you really that’s becoming personal. My words can’t hurt you so don’t get so worked up.

BTW in case it isn’t immediately obvious given my username, avatar and signature then Vice City is my favourite GTA, but GTA IV’s easily interchangeable. Best of their eras anyway.😉

Edited by MiamiViceCity1986

CynicalMexican
12 hours ago, MiamiViceCity1986 said:

It's been 13 years though. Not everyone hated GTA IV and those that did probably moved onto something else.

I know some people can't stand the thought of GTA IV being regarded in such high praise, but it is what it is. It was always a great game, but took some time to find its footing and now it's regarded as one of the series' best. 

I feel like the GTA 4 super haters moved on to Saint's Row.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My favourite is San Andreas, was a really fun game, though i actually got into it when it came out on iphone rather than the original release.

my least is gta 3, while at the time it was so good it aged more poorly than the others in my opinion

On 6/10/2021 at 12:45 AM, CynicalMexican said:

There were some that loved the game and the new direction, others who utterly hated it. 

I was definitely in the disappointed bracket when it initially came out. At the time I think a lot of people were expecting IV to continue the enhancement that each of the 3D era games had on its predecessor.

Going from SA where you had tons of exploration, customisation and light hearted tone to the more narrative driven and realistic IV, felt at the time that Rockstar had went in the wrong direction.

But over the years I definitely appreciate IV more, especially for the story and I'm sure others are the same.

Edited by sappy92
  • Like 2

The Tracker
On 7/13/2021 at 11:50 PM, sappy92 said:

I was definitely in the disappointed bracket when it initially came out. At the time I think a lot of people were expecting IV to continue the enhancement that each of the HD era games had on its predecessor.

Don't you mean 3D era games?

• 2 weeks later...
CynicalMexican
On 7/13/2021 at 2:50 PM, sappy92 said:

I was definitely in the disappointed bracket when it initially came out. At the time I think a lot of people were expecting IV to continue the enhancement that each of the 3D era games had on its predecessor.

Going from SA where you had tons of exploration, customisation and light hearted tone to the more narrative driven and realistic IV, felt at the time that Rockstar had went in the wrong direction.

But over the years I definitely appreciate IV more, especially for the story and I'm sure others are the same.

Speaking of this, I kinda hate how much of what made Vice City Stories unique to the rest of the 3D Universe kinda went to waste to a really small map.

Empire building, crime family side missions, various enhancements and fixes, etc. but Vice City is pitifully small. It would've worked much better with the San Andreas map.

• Like 2

ChengizVlad09

As someone who is deeply bonded with the franchise, but as well as someone who is convinced in the fact that not only 3D universe games are objectively better, but find it to be more or less a provable thing, freed of any subjective opinion - for quite some time now, years actually, I'm ending up in heated debates over 3DU vs HDU - I was once even called an " Osho-type of personality ". At first, I tried to google what in the world was that supposed to mean, but with no clear results of any kind. Only after had I found out Osho is another member here, who was verry active in defending the very same, let's say, 'truth' - no offense HDU fans, lol. 

Anyway, I've probably missed the times when there was a bit more of us here, but I'm getting lonely in this 'fight', lol. Any 3DU dudes and dudettes, not being affraid to show off their mind? 

Edited by ChengizVlad09

GhettoJesus
On 7/29/2021 at 3:16 PM, ChengizVlad09 said:

Anyway, I've probably missed the times when there was a bit more of us here, but I'm getting lonely in this 'fight', lol. Any 3DU dudes and dudettes, not being affraid to show off their mind? 

Whilst I personally share this mindset that 3DU > HDU by a mile in pretty much every aspect, I wouldn't debate things like this for two reasons. For one, people get very defensive about their preferences and for two, it's a waste of time to debate this because no one will change anyone's belief here. On my death bed I definitely won't say "I wish I argued more about GTA".

To add to the topic. San Andreas will always be my favorite due to the fact that I have most memories with that game (and with SAMP). Albeit I must admit that it's kind of a technical mess and the soundtrack is inferior to VC's and VCS's. Still, I have to say that SA is peak for me. As for which one is the worse, it's a hard choice. I narrowed it down to IV and V and I had a hard time deciding. Ultimately I picked IV because driving around in V's free roam is somewhat okay from time to time.

K2yjoYK.png

ChengizVlad09

@GhettoJesus

Yeah, you are absolutely right and I agree. But, my personal intention has always been focused on finding the objective truths and manifestations, supported by - what I find to be - the firm arguments. Hell, I was always all ears about hearing and understanding the other side - lol, what's more, begging them to put forward their arguments, since after all, the entire franchise is of the essence, not just the part I love the most, or the part I find objectively to be the best. Mostly, it would be unanswered, or not quite counter-argued in the appropriate fashion.

It comes as natural, that everyone has a different taste, plus, objectively, there are tons of subjective points, that aren't meant for a quality debate. Yet, many people jump straight at things like that.

Honestly, I would be grateful if someone would open my eyes all of a sudden, with anything that has logic, sense and is elaborated in a truthful manner.

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, that's not the issue; but there's a point in which the opinion could either be true or false, which makes a huge difference.

Edited by ChengizVlad09

BigGoldberg

I love the GTA series and in my opinion the third one was the worst due to graphics glitches. That's the main reason. I hope they will create a rematered version.

Algonquin Assassin

Personally I don't see the point of the "us" and "them" divide or 3D era vs HD era since they have so many pros and cons it would be ignorant to claim one is better than the other which is why I don't class myself as "3D era" or a "HD era" fan.

There's the gold standard GTA IV, Vice City, GTA III and TLAD. The good San Andreas, GTA V, CTW and TBOGT and the "meh"/crappy LCS, VCS, GTAA and GTAO. Too much variance of quality for my liking, but that's just me. Someone will more than likely get offended by this, but whatever. I don't cater for them.:p

• Like 2

TheSantader25
5 hours ago, MiamiViceCity1986 said:

There's the gold standard GTA IV, Vice City, GTA III and TLAD. The good San Andreas, GTA V, CTW and TBOGT and the "meh"/crappy LCS, VCS, GTAA and GTAO. Too much variance of quality for my liking, but that's just me. Someone will more than likely get offended by this, but whatever. I don't cater for them.:p

I'm offended. I would like you to change your list or I'm gonna have to call president Biden immediately.

Edited by TheSantader25
  • Like 1
  • Best Bru 1
  • KEKW 1

CynicalMexican
12 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

I'm offended. I would like you to change your list or I'm gonna have to call president Biden immediately.

This is completely off topic, but I feel the GTA Trilogy should be added to the Library of Congress, as controversial as they are.

Of the ones I've played (all but GTA Advance, Chinatown Wars and London 1969)...

Fave: GTA IV (tied with The Lost And Damned)

Least fave: GTA V (story mode)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My favourite of all time is San Andreas, for the least favourite there was no GTA Advance option so I went with gta2, just because there's no direction to the game. It was fun back in the day but playing it now there's nothing to do apart from do repetitive missions for the 3 gangs with no storyline and having to pay to save the game.

Edited by Fidzy

• 2 weeks later...

1. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

2. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

3. Grand Theft Auto: V

4. Grand Theft Auto: IV

5. Grand Theft Auto: The Ballad of Gay Tony

6. Grand Theft Auto: III

7. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories

8. Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories

9. Grand Theft Auto: The Lost and the Damned

10. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

11. Grand Theft Auto: London 1969

12. Grand Theft Auto: 2

13. Grand Theft Auto: Advance

14. Grand Theft Auto

giphy.gif

• KEKW 1

Favorite: GTA San Andreas

Least favorite: GTA V, GTA Online

Let me explain.

San Andreas was always this game where you do whatever you want. Plus there is a S--T TON of stuff to check out and explore. And also in the mid-late 2000s, a lot of myths and legends sprung up. I remember, I was playing with my brother (we were 10-11) when we decided to check out Back O' Beyond. It was really scary/creepy because we were playing this at like 11-12PM and so the ingame time was 3 AM which really freaked me out. Anyways there was nothing there. So thats San Andreas for me. Wait, before I forget, I love the missions and story.

GTA V... not so much enjoyment as San Andreas. Its story felt bland, like cardboard, or a plain cake. I didnt like GTA Online either. The amount of modders, hackers and people who mess with you is absurd. One time, I almost got DOXXED from a modder/hacker. Let me tell you about this modder/hacker.

So he/she threatened to dox me and install a bunch of viruses on my computer and they said they had my IP. But I had a VPN, so I was safe. I immediately reset my router, changed my IP, contacted my ISP about the situation, yadda yadda, blah blah blah...

...and thats it.

• Like 2

On 6/21/2021 at 10:07 PM, BabaFamilias said:

It IS one of the serie's best. Precisely the third best after GTA SA and V (hey, just my opinion, chill). 

I agree! Though VCStories would be 5th for me and TBOGT is 4th!

CynicalMexican
3 hours ago, GeneralQuartz said:

Favorite: GTA San Andreas

Least favorite: GTA V, GTA Online

Let me explain.

San Andreas was always this game where you do whatever you want. Plus there is a S--T TON of stuff to check out and explore. And also in the mid-late 2000s, a lot of myths and legends sprung up. I remember, I was playing with my brother (we were 10-11) when we decided to check out Back O' Beyond. It was really scary/creepy because we were playing this at like 11-12PM and so the ingame time was 3 AM which really freaked me out. Anyways there was nothing there. So thats San Andreas for me. Wait, before I forget, I love the missions and story.

GTA V... not so much enjoyment as San Andreas. Its story felt bland, like cardboard, or a plain cake. I didnt like GTA Online either. The amount of modders, hackers and people who mess with you is absurd. One time, I almost got DOXXED from a modder/hacker. Let me tell you about this modder/hacker.

So he/she threatened to dox me and install a bunch of viruses on my computer and they said they had my IP. But I had a VPN, so I was safe. I immediately reset my router, changed my IP, contacted my ISP about the situation, yadda yadda, blah blah blah...

...and thats it.

Online gaming really has a toxic gatekeeper vibe. No wonder I hate GTA Online so much.

• Like 2

Favourite: GTA IV. I loved this game from the first moment I played it. Great story, physics, protagonist, missions, setting etc.

To be honest I don’t really have a “least” favourite. I haven’t played every GTA game, but the ones I have played I love them all in different ways. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Favorite: San Andreas, self explanatory really.

Least favorite: There's no least favorite for me really.

• Like 1

illicitstreet

My favorite is definitely Vice City, it was one of the first games I've played in my life and I always come back to it once every few months, that atmosphere and the near-perfect soundtrack are just too good to be beaten.

My least favorite is a toss-up between GTAO and GTAV, the first because I personally HATE grinding in video-games to be able to afford things, and GTAV because I think the tone of the story is all over the place, I think that early 10's humor aged terribly and overall I just love its predecessor (GTAIV) way too much for me to enjoy such a different game.

• Like 2

fav: IV and san andreas, III had a kind of a cool psychedelic vibe and vcs is heavily underrated

least fav: V for forgettable story and being a pretty dumb experience in general. not that it's a bad game, god forbid, but it has only a tiny bit of previous games' vibe. rest basically screams early 2010s and as @illicitstreet noticed it's crap. it actually has been crap for me since day 1

• Like 2

Not surprised. GTA SA had the most sustained sense of the devs ambition and GTA V had the least sustained sense of ambition. San Andreas is rife with little things that make the world tick and tock (Courier Missions, Valet Missions, Bars, Clubs, Lowrider Competitions, RPG Elements, massive amount of safe houses clothes and interiors that all felt personal to the player, and much MUCH more. 

if V and IV had at least 30% in it that was lost from SA this conversation and poll would be drastically different. Proofs on the pudding.