Sign in to follow this  
LCJ

The Classical Music Topic

LCJ

0QMEMBC.png

Edited by LCJ

Mister Pink

Very nice.

I only dabble with classical here and there. I used to blast these in work which is really nice. If you like piano..

Edited by Mister Pink

mr quick

Good to have a dedicated topic. Worth mentioning that your first video is not Mozart's Requiem in its entirety, but excerpts; the Dies Iræ, Rex Tremendæ, and Lacrimosa movements. Can't remember the name of the last movement.

On the topic of that composition, the crescendo on "judicandus homo reus" in "Lacrimosa" is amazing, and brings me the chills every single time. I remember performing the entire Requiem in a big church, and its effect was simply unfathomable. It went as if automatic, I barely ever glanced at the sheets. This sort of music does something to you.

Edited by Marwin Moody

LCJ

Worth mentioning that your first video is not Mozart's Requiem in its entirety, but excerpts; the Dies Iræ, Rex Tremendæ, and Lacrimosa movements. Can't remember the name of the last movement.

Thanks for mentioning! I will post the full composition.

Edited by LCJ

Fonz

Good topic, man! Classical music was pretty much my life some years ago, so I'd like to share with you one of my favourite pieces (I'm assuming we're not taking the 'classical' definition strictly)

Tárrega's compositions have always spoken to me, for some reason. I find that he is unjustly overlooked as a composer.

One of Barrios' sadly underrated gems, played by the man himself. A pity that the recording's quality isn't that great :/

ilovebender.com

Edited by ilovebender.com

Fonz

This topic has been inactive, sadly. I felt that I should share these:

Very elegant interpretation.

My favourite Nocturne. Not exactly classical, but I think it's fitting. Edited by Black_MiD

LCJ

This topic has been inactive, sadly. I felt that I should share these:

Very elegant interpretation.

My favourite Nocturne. Not exactly classical, but I think it's fitting.

Yeah.. no wonder :/

Giantsgiants

My favorite composer is Antonio Vivaldi. He had the sickest beats.

youtube-comments-vivaldi.jpg

Queen

My favorite composer is Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky. He was an absolute beast at composing catchy melodies and knew how to create breathtaking orchestrations. Here is one of my favorites. The A section (first two minutes and, I think, last minute and a half) are so full of passion it's impossible not to feel something. If not, I question your humanity. ;)

And this is my favorite symphony from ANY composer. What makes this symphony unique is that instead of the last movement being a finale, as most composers do, he ends it with a very sad and tragic movement. Apparently he believed that he was writing music about his own death. A few or couple days after the premier of this work he was found dead, presumably suicide. For those unaware, he was homosexual and often struggled dealing with it. In fact, he attempted suicide soon after his first and only marriage.

Truly a giant of the romantic era. :^:

Edited by Killer Queen

LCJ

My favorite composer is Mozart, his compositions are jovial, elegant and catchy at the same time.

Can't choose my favorite symphony so here's something to listen to:

mr quick

Mozart's Requiem is the one that stands out the most for me. There's just something about Dies Iræ and Lacrimosa.

LCJ

This audition was great:

Didn't expect that..

Fonz

Scarlatti was f*cking incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9oQEa-d5rU
My favourite Chopin Nocturne. It would be a sin not to post it here.

reiniat

Philip Glass from the second post is really awesome.

Hyperglide

Just got finished listening to this..

Zyo

Amazing music in this topic so far. The Mozart posted by OP is amazing.

No mention of Elgar so far. A british composer, and probably my favorite. Well known for "Pomp and Circumstance" and "Enigma Variations"

This is Enigma Variations. Possibly one of my favorite pieces of music of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMLnoe957Ls

Also I thought I would put this as I have just been writing about acoustic guitars in another topic. Its more modern, early 20th century but I don't know what other category it would fit in. Orchestra and classical guitar. Beautiful music

Rodrigo, Concierto de Aranjuez. Movement 2 - Adagio.

Edited by Zyo

reiniat

The comments section of this ballade is full of anime related stuff, could be worse, they could be there to hate it.

I suppose someone with knowledge of music theory could explain why those codas are so awesome, but all i can say is; I came.

Mister Pink

I really like Chopin. Great music to sit doing work to.

Edited by Mister Pink

Zapp

Queen

Any Beethoven fans? :p

One of my favorites...the music feels like he's enduring such torment...possibly the inevitability of his hearing loss?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uOxOgm5jQ4

Edited by Killer Queen

Zapp

Fonz

A beautiful piece by the unjustly forgotten Russian composer Kalinnikov. A fine example of cyclical composition that also incorporates the minor iv device that was milked to high heaven in the 1950s.

Spadge

Hey fellow forumers,

How can I get into classical music like Strauss, Mozart, Ravel and the likes?

I'm a pretty simple, dopey guy and don't know much about that type of stuff. I've been to a nice school abroad and played instruments since I was a kid, so I know what I know from some of the classes, but as for the music and the education, it's more a circumstance and contingent type a deal, the people I know & grew up around are more of classical nurture and interest, that's not my case, I'm kinda country compared to these guys, the stuff I listen to and enjoy to play is more the rock'n'roll kind. Right now, I got into Paul Simon's Graceland & Elton John's Caribou, to give you an idea.

So I have no overlooking perspective on this field and can't gain access to the subject. Beethoven never charted an album, never released a single and doesn't have vevo clips, seems like I'm simply not part of his target audience.

That said, I know a couple of warm hearted French gentlemen of aristocratic heritage which could lend me insight into this whole deal, but I'm not willing to suck cock just to penetrate into other social circles, so that's why I'm calling upon the help of the wise, disinterested, literate and culturally well versed forumer frequenting these boards to give me some insights into the world of classical music.

Where do I start? How was music organized and distributed back then and under which forms can I categorize and consume their work nowadays?

Greetings,

Spadge.

Edited by Spadge

zoso80

If I were you, I'd just start listening to classical music via streaming such as:

Seattle's KING 98.1. It's a highly awarded classical music station. Been around for decades. Listen and just let the radio hosts introduce you to stuff.

That's what radio used to do for us old people. ;)

http://www.king.org/

My 2 cents...

Cheers.

Edited by zoso80

Mister Pink

I used to listen to classical music while working, which I believe is a great way to digest music and minimize the stress of work. I'm less likely to sit and listen to classical intently like I would the usual music I like but it's a great accompaniment to work. Or maybe I would but I'm usually doing something else too.

Mostly listened to Chopin as I like piano stuff. And because I like piano stuff I just sort of wade through the crap and find a style I like. As Zoso mentioned, streaming. I decided to check out a good Phillip Glass album on Spotify. He's pretty accessible, minimalist and easy to enjoy.

You wont like everything and I dislike the big orchestra stuff some times, unless I'm hearing it live. YouTube is also great for it's recommendations. Find a track you like and see what it suggests after.

BTW Graceland is a great album. Seen Paul Simon live before. Great gig.

We have a Classical Music topic on here that you can get recommendations. In fact, I might merge this topic with the existing one. I'll wait until the morning to do so. Maybe some more people would have replied.

Edited by Mister Pink

Femme Fatale

Pretty underrated imho.

Mister Pink

Mind blowing how people can sing like that. ^

Got me thinking of this..

Some of these have been plundered too often by the movie business but they're just undeniably, mindbogglingly good. This is just insane..

Edited by Mister Pink

Audi

Hey fellow forumers,

How can I get into classical music like Strauss, Mozart, Ravel and the likes?

I'm a pretty simple, dopey guy and don't know much about that type of stuff. I've been to a nice school abroad and played instruments since I was a kid, so I know what I know from some of the classes, but as for the music and the education, it's more a circumstance and contingent type a deal, the people I know & grew up around are more of classical nurture and interest, that's not my case, I'm kinda country compared to these guys, the stuff I listen to and enjoy to play is more the rock'n'roll kind. Right now, I got into Paul Simon's Graceland & Elton John's Caribou, to give you an idea.

So I have no overlooking perspective on this field and can't gain access to the subject. Beethoven never charted an album, never released a single and doesn't have vevo clips, seems like I'm simply not part of his target audience.

That said, I know a couple of warm hearted French gentlemen of aristocratic heritage which could lend me insight into this whole deal, but I'm not willing to suck cock just to penetrate into other social circles, so that's why I'm calling upon the help of the wise, disinterested, literate and culturally well versed forumer frequenting these boards to give me some insights into the world of classical music.

Where do I start? How was music organized and distributed back then and under which forms can I categorize and consume their work nowadays?

Greetings,

Spadge.

I used to listen to Colorado public radio's classical station as a kid when doing chores and school work. Through that I learned more about classical music, what I like/don't like, ect. Currently I just use spotify and have it on in the background. I find it very relaxing, especially in the winter.

Can't go wrong with looking up well known composers and learning more that way. Mozart, Bach, Tchaikovsky and Wagner are a few of my favorites.

I think one thing people don't realize about classical until they delve deeper into it themselves is how many different sounds there are. Some of it is relaxing, some of it actually pumps you up lol. Currently I've been listening to a lot of Baroque era stuff.

Edited by Audi