2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

BRITLAND

UK Politics & Current Affairs Discussion Thread

Darth Yokel

All the best revelations about Russian spy activities seem to come from the Dutch. Aside from their latest tricks they hacked into the offices of the hackers behind the DNC hack and they provided crucial intel to Montenegro about Russian efforts to organize a coup in 2016 and topple the government. AIVD is really good.

sivispacem

Yeah, I think they released a load of stuff on some of the other Russian hacking groups too.

Short Stay

Recall that MH17 was a flight from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur carrying a fair number of Dutch citizens. The Dutch government has publicly held Russia responsible for its being shot down by a missile. I would imagine they are still pretty sore about this.

Svip
On 9/23/2018 at 12:32 AM, AiraCobra said:

Genuine question....

You asked some questions a while back, but back then it wasn't easy to split quote boxes, but now it is!

What exactly would happen if the UK/EU can't agree on a deal before the March 29th deadline?

This is the so-called 'no deal' scenario.  Effectively, the UK will be recognised as a third country by 29 March.  Meaning that all laws, treaties, agreements, etc. from the European Economic Community and its successors (including the EU itself) would cease to be recognised.  Goods crossing the borders would be inspected as if they came from any country the EU doesn't have some sort of deal with.  For instance, the EU does have some arrangements with Russia and Ukraine, avoiding certain restrictions on certain cross border trade.  The UK would not even be able to get this.

That's assuming there are no agreements at all.  The EU and UK are for instance trying to get a fall back (or 'backstop') in case of no deal on certain issues; such as the Irish border.

The short answer to your question is that there will likely be chaos at the border and many other places, but it remains to be seen how long it would take before something could be solved.  There are such a myriad of interconnections between the UK and the EU that is hard to foresee exactly what's going to happen.  But 'chaos' will be the hallmark.

Can the UK Parlament revoke the referendum to remain in the EU despite voters voting to leave or can they put another referendum on the ballot to see if voters still want to leave or go?

Technically, a referendum under UK law is only a guideline, as it is not constitutionally recognised.  That is, Parliament and the government is not legally required to follow the result of a referendum.  Now, historically, all referendums in post-war UK have been followed[1] by Parliament, because -- well -- democracy and politics and all that.  It would simply be political suicide to ignore a referendum.

For the same reason, Parliament has the legal authority to call as many referendums as they like.  But again, the question is whether this is good politics.

Was it wrong when I read that the majority of voters to leave the EU were older residents ages 50 and up while the younger voters voted to stay within the EU or was it the other way around? I know I read somewhere that one demographic voted to stay while the other voted to leave just can't remember which one.

I think someone else answered this better; but in terms of age demographics, younger voters tended to vote Remain, while older voters tended to vote Leave.

Do you think if they would to hold another vote today would the turnout be the difference in people wanting to stay in after seeing everything that has been going on since the referendum?

The polling data is imprecise on this matter.  There is some suggestion that it has moved towards Remain.  But the move in percentage points isn't conclusive, and remains within the margin of error (in the same way that the actual result was within the margin of error of the opinion polls just up to the referendum).

I would imagine, however, that people who want to remain would be more energised than those wanting to leave given the chaos of the last two years.  And maybe it is voter turnout that will tip the balance rather than what everyone thinks if voting was mandatory.

If the Brexit deal does go on and the UK does meet the deadline and leave the EU by March 29th what happens to Scotland and Ireland? I kow they have their own PM and Paralment but are still part of the UK.

The United Kingdom is a strange beast, since it is not a federation, and it does not have devolution like Belgium.  (Indeed, I believe there was a report some months ago about civil servant letters to newly minted PM Tony Blair back in the 1990s about how he should avoid the same process as the Belgians had taken.)

So while Belgium and the United Kingdom are not true federations like say Germany or Switzerland, they do have some large local autonomy (which we also see in Spain).  What makes the UK stranger than its Belgian and Spanish counterparts is that England - the largest of the four kingdoms - does not have its own parliament and ministry, only Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales do.

Your question assumes a deal, but the question is the contents of that deal, because otherwise it is a difficult to answer what happens to the other countries of the UK.  Wales, for its part, will likely remain with England, regardless of where it goes.

Northern Ireland is a difficult one to deduce, but there is worry that The Troubles may boil up again, if the border between it and the Republic of Ireland closes down, and there is a renewed clamouring for unification with the rest of Ireland.  Whether such a possible revolt means unification with Ireland remains to be seen, but it could become dangerous times for the Irish again.

Scotland, on the other hand, does have a large portion of its electorate who wants to leave the United Kingdom.  With the UK leaving the EU, this may be the sticking point that finally tips over the balance.  The 2014 referendum was seen as uncomfortably close by those in London.  And the question in Scotland is whether staying within the EU is more important than staying in the UK.  Their First Minister has so far been dealing with this issue quite appropriately, but have been talking about a possible second referendum on Scottish independence following a 'bad' break from the EU, such as a 'no deal' scenario.

It's possible that these threats are used for political leverage rather than actual threats, but again it remains to be seen.  There are other parts of the UK that are also worth wondering about, such as Gibraltar, which is also part of the EU and enjoys free movement of goods, etc. into Spain.  What happens here?

Will they then become independence countries with their own choice of joining the EU? If they are still considered part of the UK but area autonomous would they be allowed to join the EU on their own accord even though their "Mother Country" has left? 

To join the EU, they would have to leave the United Kingdom.  Sub-national administrative territories cannot join the EU as per its rules.  Scotland would have to be truly independent of the United Kingdom in order to join the EU.  And in such a case, Scotland would have to re-apply for membership as any other third country.

If Scotland remains part of the UK, their EU status will be the same as the rest of the UK, regardless of what happens with Brexit.

[1] I say post-war, i.e. since the Second World War, because I don't know whether it hasn't been the case before then.

Edited by Svip

AiraCobra
On 10/12/2018 at 7:08 AM, Svip said:

You asked some questions a while back, but back then it wasn't easy to split quote boxes, but now it is!

This is the so-called 'no deal' scenario.  Effectively, the UK will be recognised as a third country by 29 March.  Meaning that all laws, treaties, agreements, etc. from the European Economic Community and its successors (including the EU itself) would cease to be recognised.  Goods crossing the borders would be inspected as if they came from any country the EU doesn't have some sort of deal with.  For instance, the EU does have some arrangements with Russia and Ukraine, avoiding certain restrictions on certain cross border trade.  The UK would not even be able to get this.

That's assuming there are no agreements at all.  The EU and UK are for instance trying to get a fall back (or 'backstop') in case of no deal on certain issues; such as the Irish border.

The short answer to your question is that there will likely be chaos at the border and many other places, but it remains to be seen how long it would take before something could be solved.  There are such a myriad of interconnections between the UK and the EU that is hard to foresee exactly what's going to happen.  But 'chaos' will be the hallmark.

Technically, a referendum under UK law is only a guideline, as it is not constitutionally recognised.  That is, Parliament and the government is not legally required to follow the result of a referendum.  Now, historically, all referendums in post-war UK have been followed[1] by Parliament, because -- well -- democracy and politics and all that.  It would simply be political suicide to ignore a referendum.

For the same reason, Parliament has the legal authority to call as many referendums as they like.  But again, the question is whether this is good politics.

I think someone else answered this better; but in terms of age demographics, younger voters tended to vote Remain, while older voters tended to vote Leave.

The polling data is imprecise on this matter.  There is some suggestion that it has moved towards Remain.  But the move in percentage points isn't conclusive, and remains within the margin of error (in the same way that the actual result was within the margin of error of the opinion polls just up to the referendum).

I would imagine, however, that people who want to remain would be more energised than those wanting to leave given the chaos of the last two years.  And maybe it is voter turnout that will tip the balance rather than what everyone thinks if voting was mandatory.

The United Kingdom is a strange beast, since it is not a federation, and it does not have devolution like Belgium.  (Indeed, I believe there was a report some months ago about civil servant letters to newly minted PM Tony Blair back in the 1990s about how he should avoid the same process as the Belgians had taken.)

So while Belgium and the United Kingdom are not true federations like say Germany or Switzerland, they do have some large local autonomy (which we also see in Spain).  What makes the UK stranger than its Belgian and Spanish counterparts is that England - the largest of the four kingdoms - does not have its own parliament and ministry, only Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales do.

Your question assumes a deal, but the question is the contents of that deal, because otherwise it is a difficult to answer what happens to the other countries of the UK.  Wales, for its part, will likely remain with England, regardless of where it goes.

Northern Ireland is a difficult one to deduce, but there is worry that The Troubles may boil up again, if the border between it and the Republic of Ireland closes down, and there is a renewed clamouring for unification with the rest of Ireland.  Whether such a possible revolt means unification with Ireland remains to be seen, but it could become dangerous times for the Irish again.

Scotland, on the other hand, does have a large portion of its electorate who wants to leave the United Kingdom.  With the UK leaving the EU, this may be the sticking point that finally tips over the balance.  The 2014 referendum was seen as uncomfortably close by those in London.  And the question in Scotland is whether staying within the EU is more important than staying in the UK.  Their First Minister has so far been dealing with this issue quite appropriately, but have been talking about a possible second referendum on Scottish independence following a 'bad' break from the EU, such as a 'no deal' scenario.

It's possible that these threats are used for political leverage rather than actual threats, but again it remains to be seen.  There are other parts of the UK that are also worth wondering about, such as Gibraltar, which is also part of the EU and enjoys free movement of goods, etc. into Spain.  What happens here?

To join the EU, they would have to leave the United Kingdom.  Sub-national administrative territories cannot join the EU as per its rules.  Scotland would have to be truly independent of the United Kingdom in order to join the EU.  And in such a case, Scotland would have to re-apply for membership as any other third country.

If Scotland remains part of the UK, their EU status will be the same as the rest of the UK, regardless of what happens with Brexit.

[1] I say post-war, i.e. since the Second World War, because I don't know whether it hasn't been the case before then.

Thank you, This is by far the best answer I have actually seen ANYWHERE that i've looked for them

Crokey

On 9/22/2018 at 11:32 PM, AiraCobra said:

Was it wrong when I read that the majority of voters to leave the EU were older residents ages 50 and up while the younger voters voted to stay within the EU or was it the other way around? I know I read somewhere that one demographic voted to stay while the other voted to leave just can't remember which one.

You'd have to split it into different regions for a clear picture, but generally yes it was the older generation that voted to leave. 

To split it a little more, in Scotland it was a significant majority that voted to remain, and the demographic was fairly balanced with a slight leaning to older leaving and younger staying, but that wasn't in as stark a contrast as to England and Wales.  Overall, however in Scotland it was to remain with the ones voting more to leave were those affected more by EU rules and regulations predominantly in fishing, as fisheries and fishing rights have been a long standing issue throughout Europe.

England and Wales is where the biggest gulf in age demographics were as a lot of the older generation voted to leave and the younger generations voted to remain.  However, there is a caveat to this in that within major metropolitan areas such as London and Manchester the majority was to remain.  This is likely due to the vast diversity within the cities, and that this mix has largely been positive.  The vote was swung more by those in the provincial towns and cities, and mainly those in what are colloquially known as "The Shires", which are the counties mainly in the south and east of England. where a lot of the older generation who are in that retirement age who can afford to live in those areas, and fit into that demographic, reside. 

And excuse the bias here, but are mainly those who are that "they're taking our jobs" types, even though they're retired and those who aren't are in jobs that are not even remotely affected by migratory workers, because they're not in healthcare (which no-one should be concerned about foreign workers in that sectors as it's desperately needed), or doing agricultural work, which locals don't do.  Seriously, they don't do as employers in the sector have advertised constantly for local workforce and no-one applies, except migrant workers; and is the sector that's going to take the biggest hit if migratory workers from Eastern Europe can't come and work in that sector. 

Moving on to Northern Ireland, the demographic was more a sectarian split than age related, as those who consider themselves to be on the "Loyalist" side and are Unionists, voted to leave.  Those who consider themselves to be Nationalists and Republicans voted to remain, to in effect maintain the freer movement between Northern Ireland and the Republic, which currently exists.  How this is going to go as part of the negotiations is going to be the tricky bit, and could lead to a potential flare up in troubles again (perhaps Star Trek was correct in it's telling of history*), which generally speaking those who voted to remain elsewhere in the UK could see this would be sticking point a mile off, but those who wanted to leave didn't really think that bit through.

Overall I think the age demographic was more a reflection on human nature more than politics, because if it was politics then result would have been vastly different, but that's a fault in the education of citizens not knowing enough about politics and how national and European politics work.  As it is the result reflects more on people having rose tinted glasses on and not wanting to take them off.  For example there's a big 80's retro vibe thing that's been going on for the past couple of years, thinking that the 80s was the best thing ever... Trust me I was there in the 80s, it was sh*t, sure there was great telly, some decent tunes, couple of good movies here and there, but generally it was sh*t.  Job prospects were low, house prices started rise out of proportion (an issue still going on now and still hasn't been fixed and has infected the world), Trump was really making a name for himself, and look what the f*ck happened there.

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX8fRie2gvI

Svip

Hey, @Crokey, maybe fix your quote so it doesn't look like I wrote it.  But regardless, you answered that question a lot better than I did.  Indeed, in a sense the real interesting aspect wasn't so much the age difference, but the geographical difference, in the vote.

Edited by Svip

Crokey

*Fixed, damned fiddly reply boxes and their lack of options.

AiraCobra

@Crokey @Svip

Thanks again guy, It cleared up a lot of questions I had and wasn't able to find in one place

Uncle Sikee Atric

If you want an idea of the current UK thinking, this is worth reading from end to end.  It describes the situation perfectly, in a few blog pages :

https://www.docdroid.net/m3YvOS5/brexit-truth-revised.pdf

Uncle Sikee Atric

Strangely accurate for a front cover issued today....

46154433_1740421976069566_43964879877313

+

Finite

So are we thinking some of the cabinet just lied to TM last night about supporting the deal so she'd let them go home?

Uncle Sikee Atric

Nah, it was always going to be this way, think about it overnight, decide your stance tomorrow.  The only thing that was public was the fact 'several cabinet members,' were against the deal after the meeting.

Given Mogg has gone public with his letter to the 1922 Committee, the 48 letters, triggering a no-confidence vote, seems like a given, he's such an influential member among the Brexiter Loonies in the ERG.  But even they cannot flush Eeyore out without support from other wings of the party and those wings are terrified of the ERG seizing control.  It will not happen without a major shift in tactics.

However, no matter how much she tries to fluster about no second referendum, it looks like things are shifting behind her.  An unnamed Tory Minister tells the BBC’s Norman Smith that if the Brexiteers vote down Theresa May’s deal, him and other ministers will actively campaign for another vote - and to stay in the EU.  (A fiver says it's Gove, he'll do anything to seize the initiative in a run for power.  Maybe this is why he's really dithering about taking the, now vacant, Brexit Secretary post and using obvious delay tactics to not end up lumped with it.)