Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. GTANet.com

    1. GTA Online

      1. The Cayo Perico Heist
      2. The Diamond Casino Heist
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Frontier Pursuits
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    3. Crews

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Redemption

    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

    2. GTA VI

      1. St. Andrews Cathedral
    3. GTA V

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. The Lost and Damned
      2. The Ballad of Gay Tony
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
    5. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    6. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    7. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    8. Portable Games

      1. GTA Chinatown Wars
      2. GTA Vice City Stories
      3. GTA Liberty City Stories
    9. Top-Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    1. GTA Mods

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Red Dead Mods

      1. Documentation
    3. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    4. Featured Mods

      1. Design Your Own Mission
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Rockstar Games

    2. Rockstar Collectors

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Movies & TV
      5. Music
      6. Sports
      7. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

    1. Announcements

    2. Support

    3. Suggestions

BRITLAND

UK Politics & Current Affairs Discussion & DIY Home Improvement Thread

Recommended Posts

sivispacem
1 minute ago, ilovebender.com said:

I Google'd it, saw a bunch of red dots, noticed they weren't no where near me, and at the top of the list; Manchester Eccles.

You might want to learn how to use Google then.

You can add it to the myriad of other "things you should probably learn about before talking about".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ilovebender.com
Just now, sivispacem said:

You might want to learn how to use Google then.

You can add it to the myriad of other "things you should probably learn about before talking about".

I googled it, got what I got.

 

I can't help it if Manchester was at the top of the list and I'm in South London.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sivispacem
1 minute ago, ilovebender.com said:

I can't help it if Manchester was at the top of the list and I'm in South London.

You could if you realised that Google's mapping algorithm doesn't necessarily show you closest locations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ilovebender.com
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, sivispacem said:

You could if you realised that Google's mapping algorithm doesn't necessarily show you closest locations.

I figured based on your Nottingham revelation there; but when glancing on Google you see, and something's at the top of the list, you're going to assume it's the closest.

 

I mean, I google'd it to see what it was, I got a bunch of red dots on the map of the UK none of which are anywhere near me, or even near London, and it's says Manchester for A; then I'm just going to assume it was a proximity thing.

Edited by ilovebender.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sivispacem
10 minutes ago, ilovebender.com said:

Your point?

My point is your not-having-a-clue pervades well beyond just politics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ilovebender.com
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, sivispacem said:

My point is your not-having-a-clue pervades well beyond just politics. 

No, I think you're desperate to be right you're now scraping the bottom of the barrel.

 

It would be crazy to use Google how you suggest; when everyone else just sees the list and looks at A for closest location (even if it's not) people still do that.

 

What you're suggesting, is a desperation now, of being right; and you're right, Manchester isn't my closest John-whatsit (or whoever it was called) (IDK it), but... again, if it's A, and the dots are all concentrated on another part of England, and it's apparent that none of them are near me... Then I'm right thinking that A was my closest because Google made it the top.

Edited by ilovebender.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sivispacem
5 minutes ago, ilovebender.com said:

No, I think you're desperate to be right you're now scraping the bottom of the barrel.

This is colloqually just known as "being right", as opposed to "being wrong", which is your default position. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ilovebender.com
Posted (edited)

It's like me mentioning Morley's Fried Chicken, you googling it and having the one on Beulah Road be your A and me going off on one about the one in Brixton Hill being your closest... It makes no sense to knit pick since I bet you don't know Morley's Fried Chicken and so would go with whatever A is as being your closest.

Edited by ilovebender.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sivispacem
5 minutes ago, ilovebender.com said:

since I bet you don't know Morley's Fried Chicken

I do, so let's chalk another line on the "things ilovebender.com is wrong about" list.

 

5 minutes ago, ilovebender.com said:

and so would go with whatever A is as being your closest.

I wouldn't, because I know how Google's location algorithms work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ilovebender.com
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, sivispacem said:

I do, so let's chalk another line on the "things ilovebender.com is wrong about" list.

Well, what about @Uncle Sikee Atric? Do they know Morley's Fried Chicken? Or is it something they've never heard of before? Since they were the one who mentioned Fulton's to me.

Quote

I wouldn't, because I know how Google's location algorithms work.

Yeah, when glancing, people go with the list and what's at top.

Not actually studying to see what is their closest one like they plan to travel to it, no, just seeing where the heck something is, and going with A and stating that. lol

 

I wonder on your sanity sometimes, then realise you're probably nuts. Devoid of cool, pedantic, eager to be right, loves to be right, am I right?

Edited by ilovebender.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blaze

I mean if you wanted to be specific the closest Morley's to sivis location would be Harlesden at 80 miles as opposed to Brixton Hill being 91.5 miles, but let's not be nit picky.

  • Like 1
  • KEKW 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ilovebender.com
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Blaze said:

I mean if you wanted to be specific the closest Morley's to sivis location would be Harlesden at 80 miles as opposed to Brixton Hill being 91.5 miles, but let's not be nit picky.

Wow, I learn something new everyday, there's a Morley's outside of South London. (Now that's a surprise).

Not even Google shows me that; probably doesn't bother to since there's like 20 down here and I've only ever seen it in South London personally.

 

morleys

I zoomed out and still couldn't find it.

 

I mean, look at it, this and the fact that I've only seen them in South London myself anyway, makes this news to me.

 

There's one outside of South London?! Since when?

 

I'm not doubting you, I googled that town name and Morley's and sure enough, it's there...

But I haven't seen one outside of South London and Google isn't even bothering to list it for me.

 

... Learn something new everyday.

 

There's a Morley's outside of South London, tbh, the world seems weird now lol.

Edited by ilovebender.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncle Sikee Atric
17 minutes ago, ilovebender.com said:

Well, what about @Uncle Sikee Atric? Do they know Morley's Fried Chicken? Or is it something they've never heard of before? Since they were the one who mentioned Fulton's to me.

 

I've delivered to Morley's Fred Chicken.

  • Like 1
  • KEKW 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sivispacem
17 minutes ago, ilovebender.com said:

Well, what about @Uncle Sikee Atric? Do they know Morley's Fried Chicken? 

Maybe ask him? 

 

You also forget I used to spend 3 days a week living in Limehouse. Blaze is pretty spot on with his figures but the only Morley's I've been to is the one in Greenwich.

 

17 minutes ago, ilovebender.com said:

Yeah, when glancing, people go with the list and what's at top.

I know they do, doofus. Nobody's arguing with that being how people use Google. The point of contention is whether or not top=closest, which it doesn't.

 

17 minutes ago, ilovebender.com said:

I wonder on your sanity sometimes, then realise you're probably nuts. Devoid of cool, pedantic, eager to be right, loves to be right, am I right?

There's only one kind of person who trots out tripe like these projections of insecurity.

 

Someone whose wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ilovebender.com
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, sivispacem said:

Maybe ask him? 

I did lol what do you think mentioning him in the post was?

4 minutes ago, sivispacem said:

 

You also forget I used to spend 3 days a week living in Limehouse.

And you forget I know London and know there's not a Morley's out there.

Quote

 

 

There's only one kind of person who trots out tripe like these projections of insecurity.

 

Someone whose wrong.

Take a look in the mirror.

Edited by ilovebender.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sivispacem
15 minutes ago, ilovebender.com said:

And you forget I know London and know there's not a Morley's out there.

No, but there are in Bermondsey, Greenwich, Stratford and New Cross, all of which are easily navigable from in and around the Isle of Dogs.

Besides, Morley's isn't even very good- not a patch on Mother Clucker or Other Side Fried.

 

15 minutes ago, ilovebender.com said:

Take a look in the mirror.

100887718_10222999516366967_268811494560

  • Like 1
  • KEKW 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GTA_stu

Can we get back to the issue at hand here pls. 

 

Wtf is a Morley's.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncle Sikee Atric
6 hours ago, GTA_stu said:

Wtf is a Morley's.

 

It's a KFC rip-off joint that exist around south London (although Morley itself is a South Leeds suburb).  I know of it because I delivered to a pipe repair team that were digging up the road outside it.  It was a favor to head office, knowing I'd be able to call it back later.

 

As for yesterday, Boris said he was proud of the UK's handling of Covid-19 during PMQ's, maybe he was a little bit rushed to admit that?

102602551_819224358606226_65263216480170

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GTA_stu

I think it's hard to have proper comparisons because each country seems to count things differently. It feels like people have become desensitised quite a bit to it now though. When the lockdown first started everyone took it super serious, there was a lot of fear surrounding it, the country was kind of in shock. Now people seem less afraid and they're more willing to break the rules, and we're used to living with it. It happens with any disaster or catastrophe. I spoke to my nan the other week, she's a 101 and she lived through WW2 and she was telling me about the air raids. The first few times she heard the sirens she got absolutely petrified and would get her gas mask on straight away, but then after a while she began to get used to it and a couple of times she even misplaced her gas mask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tchuck
On 6/5/2020 at 5:36 AM, GTA_stu said:

It feels like people have become desensitised quite a bit to it now though.

This is the real danger. Covid has not been beaten yet, it has been controlled in several countries. But far from beaten. All it takes is a bit of carelessness, and it will come back. There was a city in southwest Japan that hadn't had any cases in more than a month. Then in a week, they had 85. Tokyo was also going down in cases before they relaxed restrictions; and it floated back up again. 

 

If people aren't careful and try to go back to normal, we're all gonna have a bad time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncle Sikee Atric
3 minutes ago, Tchuck said:

If people aren't careful and try to go back to normal, we're all gonna have a bad time.

 

That to me is also the biggest worry. 

Covid-19 is a very unpredictable virus in the way it affects different people.  I've had people moaning at me that businesses need to open up, relax social distancing, the whole bit, but that's lighting the way for a massive second spike.  If you contract it, it might not affect you too much, but you're playing Russian Roulette with everyone else you are in close contact with, there's no way of knowing how they'll be if they contract it from you.

 

It's not too bad to have a little bit of risk in everyday life, that's just normal, but it has to be personal risk alone, Covid-19 isn't about personal risk at all and that's what people fail to understand.

 

Besides, within the UK it's clear the real experts aren't being consulted on changes related to risk in personal life :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52946850
 

Not consulting the NHS experts on face mask use changes does tend to smack in the face of people who need to know of the changes, especially front line NHS staff that are acutely aware of mass shortages of the very PPE that they're going to need even more of.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lonely-Martin

Yeah, we've had the phone calls from school and told them the kids aren't going back when things open up more. As I'm deemed high risk, I'm not willing to take the chance just yet. 

 

It does leave me very conflicted though as I want my kids to learn and socialise to make friends etc too. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blaze
36 minutes ago, Uncle Sikee Atric said:

 

That to me is also the biggest worry. 

Covid-19 is a very unpredictable virus in the way it affects different people.  I've had people moaning at me that businesses need to open up, relax social distancing, the whole bit, but that's lighting the way for a massive second spike.  If you contract it, it might not affect you too much, but you're playing Russian Roulette with everyone else you are in close contact with, there's no way of knowing how they'll be if they contract it from you.

 

It's not too bad to have a little bit of risk in everyday life, that's just normal, but it has to be personal risk alone, Covid-19 isn't about personal risk at all and that's what people fail to understand.

 

Besides, within the UK it's clear the real experts aren't being consulted on changes related to risk in personal life :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52946850
 

Not consulting the NHS experts on face mask use changes does tend to smack in the face of people who need to know of the changes, especially front line NHS staff that are acutely aware of mass shortages of the very PPE that they're going to need even more of.

If the type of behaviour I've seen in my area (North East) is anything to go by, it's inevitable. Initially the majority adhered well to all guidelines, but after recent events like LOCKDOWN RELAXED clickbait headlines and Cummings 260 mile round trip the majority are more adverse towards lockdown/guidelines. Even with one in one out schemes in large stores, distancing guidelines over in store loudspeaker 24/7, clearly marked out zones/queueing lines you'll still get people right up your arse/reaching over you/etc in stores - I get that in a crowded place it can be kind of hard to always keep your distance, and the god awful routing they've put in ASDA isn't helping, but then you get the people who take the lockdown relaxed headlines at face value and have a very liberal idea of what 2m distancing actually is, leading to mass congregation's in parks and whatnot because hey BORIS SAID WE CAN SEE PEOPLE.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Typhus

What do you make of this?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jun/07/blm-protesters-topple-statue-of-bristol-slave-trader-edward-colston

Pretty incredible scenes, and despite the illegality of it all, it cheered my heart to see the thing dragged through the streets and dumped in the water like some toppled Roman emperor. There are plenty of great figures in British history you can raise monuments to, as a people we shouldn't have to scrape the barrel like this and erect statues to slave traders - it only reinforces a kind of national ignorance we have about many of the ugly things the Empire got up to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncle Sikee Atric
18 minutes ago, Typhus said:

What do you make of this?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jun/07/blm-protesters-topple-statue-of-bristol-slave-trader-edward-colston

Pretty incredible scenes, and despite the illegality of it all, it cheered my heart to see the thing dragged through the streets and dumped in the water like some toppled Roman emperor. There are plenty of great figures in British history you can raise monuments to, as a people we shouldn't have to scrape the barrel like this and erect statues to slave traders - it only reinforces a kind of national ignorance we have about many of the ugly things the Empire got up to.

 

It was originally erected in 1895, when the Victorian view of the world was quite different. 

 

While it was time for the statue to be removed, it should have been done to have it placed in a museum about the reality of British colonialism.  Bristol has been promising the museum for decades, but it always kept sweeping it under the carpet.  Maybe it should be recovered, restored and placed in the museum where it now belongs, along with a plaque as to why it ended up there.

 

The irony of it all is, the Tories are baying for the statue's defacers to be prosecuted, while forgetting that Cummings should be also facing charges for driving 'to test his vision,' and dashing long distances around the country, with family members displaying Covid-19 symptoms during a lockdown....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tchuck

I'd say don't even bother restoring it. Drag it out, and place it in the museum as is. As a reminder of both how times were, and how they are no longer tolerated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clem Fandango

It isn't surprising, Britain has lots of controversies with its statues. So they'll take down states commemorating Jamaican war veterans or whatever while statues of Lord Admiral Hapsburgjaw who killed 50,000 innocent tribesman by shooting them out of cannons, remains standing proud. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncle Sikee Atric

Interesting updates abound this morning :

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/12/brexit-uk-expected-to-backtrack-on-full-eu-border-checks?fbclid=IwAR1VCwWO83VwW950VpHYvNV4OLvvzlBolBIH8Q9Dp6pRzg84BCcxgeafjx0

 

It looks like reality has caught up with the Brexiters and Pob was in full-on cringe this morning as he hastily backtracked in a Radio interview.  Admitting the border will not be ready (2024 is the reality for that, once all those UK Red Tape Handlers, sorry, Border Force Staff will be trained and in position), they're instead making the EU border, 'a flexible system of light touch management.'  In other words, a smuggler's paradise.

 

He was snide about the EU though, claiming they won't be if there's no-deal.  But that's because their border will be ready and able to be fully enforced on schedule, so the border will be in full effect, in fact, given the smugglers' paradise the UK approach is promoting, it's likely to be even worse than a normal EU border for trade and goods management.

But the future situation increasingly depends on the impending result of the upcoming US elections.  Boris and the EU are still steadfast in the June deadline for extensions and the points in law, but the reality is both sides could still agree and reverse their statute as late as mid-December (The EU will overturn things in 24 hours and Boris will get the Opposition and enough Tory MP's to do it this end, no doubt to the fury of the ERG), and given the increasingly obvious, economic alarm bells from Covid-19 and the increasing panic from groups like the CBI, it's becoming more and more obvious where the UK goes next is hinging on Trump winning a second term.

If Trump wins, Boris will no doubt be cuddling up to him as quickly as possible, if he loses, it's more than likely the UK will end up with no other option than a BINO deal, given there will be few other alternatives.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Svip

Don't worry, the UK won't extend.  And the EU has taken it as such.  They'll next meet in September, because this isn't urgent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ilovebender.com
11 hours ago, Svip said:

Don't worry, the UK won't extend.  And the EU has taken it as such.  They'll next meet in September, because this isn't urgent.

It's enshrined into law not to extend the extension, what did you expect?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.