3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

GTA Confessions.

3 minutes ago, Americana said:

What, I'm sure you also don't like boring colour scheme and boring characters?

Oh, and I'm sure you hate car physics, too?

Crazy.

Thank God you can play your beloved Carl Johnson roaming around San Andreas, doing random set of stupid missions in his underwear.

Where did he mention San Andreas? His favourite gta is gta 2

San Andreas actually is better than GTA IV. But San Andreas is still a fanboy game but much less than IV. GTA5 just ended the fanboy era and mutated to the fanchild era. I see more 7 year olds playing now than ever. They even kill you sometimes in gta online then you hear them trying to sound black on the microphone.

Back when gta3 released we were 12 and thought we were the coolest in the world, it was like watching pr0no while you were still a preteen. 

Another confession: I played Vice City all through with no cheats until I got to Guardian Angels and kept dying forever. Then I had to put the weapons cheat because I ran out of money. And the health/money cheat because I couldnt get past diaz's men.

• YEE 1
  • KEKW 2
3 hours ago, Inttelix said:

San Andreas actually is better than GTA IV. But San Andreas is still a fanboy game but much less than IV.

That’s the biggest load of sh*t I’ve heard all year after Trump refusing to concede that he lost his presidency to Biden.😛

Okay here's my....big confession.

I actually had trouble getting into GTA SA and IV in the beginning. GTA III and VC are ones I got into with no issue but in both SA and IV, when I was young, I didn't like how I started with nothing and alot of stuff was locked behind story progression.

Of course after giving more chances to SA and then later on to IV, both became my top GTA games. In fact both of them made me say to myself, "Wow this is the most amazing game I ever played." as I was going through them.

Now I no longer find III and VC all that engaging anymore.

Knowing this can happen again, I actually entered V prepared, that I would play it completely before I start complaining. Sad to say, after finishing it 7 times with different approach in every playthrough, it didn't quite happen like it did with SA and IV.

Edited by Ryo256
  • Like 6

I guess it’s my turn to share a confession.

I know I’ve made lists comparing GTA characters from most to least evil and whatnot. I look back at it now and view it as rather pointless. It’s all entirely subjective and depends on how you look at it. As far as protagonists are concerned, what REALLY makes Trevor stand out amongst the rest is NOT that he’s any more or any less messed up than any of the others. It is simply that destruction is his main motivation while gain is the main motivation of all other GTA protagonists. Trevor is less selfish than all of the other GTA protagonists based on that he has less of a gain motivation. Asking who is more messed up between GTA characters is sorta like asking who is the most messed up between a dictator, a terrorist, and a mobster. None of the three are any more or any less messed up than each other. They’re just different types of messed up. The first has power as their main motivation, the second has destruction as their main motivation, and the third has gain as their main motivation. Power, gain, and destruction are motivations of all three. One just takes precedence over the others. Same applies to GTA characters, including protagonists.

• Like 5

I've always felt that The Lost MC's motivation of The Lost and Damned's final mission wasn't that much realistic, and I still don't regard it that way too much, because getting snitched on by Billy Grey is much less of a trouble than storming the Alderney State Correctional Facility, and taking out dozens of ASP officers and NOOSE soldiers along with Billy, which makes it not too satisfying after all, but I can see that saving Angus might've been more of a real motivation for Johnny, Terry and Clay than that, as he would've been taken inside if Billy snitched. Furthermore, I always felt that revenge is also a part of Johnny's motivations, even though it solely doesn't justify the mission's objective enough.

Edited by iiCriminnaaL 49
  • Like 5
On 12/7/2020 at 12:20 AM, Ryo256 said:

I actually had trouble getting into GTA SA and IV in the beginning. GTA III and VC are ones I got into with no issue but in both SA and IV, when I was young, I didn't like how I started with nothing and alot of stuff was locked behind story progression.

For me San Andreas was hard to get into because I didn't like the things like girlfriends, microcmanagement etc which felt like a far cry from the simplicity of GTA III and Vice City. Of course over time I came to accept this, but it definitely wasn't love at first sight. I think at this stage of my life I've come to rest at ease with San Andreas. It's not my favourite GTA, but far from my least. Just let it be.

With GTA IV I pretty much took to it instantly even though at the time Vice City was my favourite GTA. I wasn't too bothered by its departure as unlike some people I wasn't expecting it to be "San Andreas 2.0" or another 3D era like GTA. I loved the driving, shooting, the physics etc.

Actually to be honest I wasn't too fond of Niko in the trailers (lol as crazy as that sounds:p), but when I started playing the game my fears/doubts were quickly extinguished and Niko's easily the best protagonist in the series without question.

• Like 7
billiejoearmstrong8
1 hour ago, Himeros said:

GTA IV strippers are better than GTA V strippers,

not sure about prostitutes though... I think GTA V..

IV strippers might not be topless but they do much more daring moves and are more entertaining/amusing. The ones in Honkers will do a headstand between Niko's legs and put their crotch in his face lmao, they climb all over him. 

I like how they gave the prostitutes more personality in GTA V. Still not above parking on a ledge so they can fall to their death when they leave the car in GTA IV though lol (not possible in V since it's much fussier about where you park). And I do enjoy how depressed and miserable Niko is when using their services. 

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
1 hour ago, Himeros said:

GTA IV strippers are better than GTA V strippers,

not sure about prostitutes though... I think GTA V..

You remind me that both GTA IV and GTA V finales start in a strip club.

When I acquired GTA III for the first time, I always thought Rockstar used the "worst city in America" excuse to justify some of the sillier things in the game, like how they would imprison you for just a couple of in-game hours before sending you back out - despite the fact that I killed hundreds of people remorselessly.

But then I played the other games in the series and even in lush Vice City they'll only keep Tommy locked up for a few hours - maybe Kenny's just a really good lawyer?

billiejoearmstrong8
6 hours ago, Fake Lilina said:

I wonder if I can get inside the Statue of Happiness.

You can! It's rather tricky but if you have a helicopter you can get inside. You need to get to the upper platform right at the feet of the statue, it's higher than you can get to with the stairs or climbing so you have to position a helicopter carefully and jump out. Basically get as close as you can to the platform with the side of the helicopter you're sitting on pushed up against the statue and jump out before the propeller breaks and hope you land right. There's four doors on the outside but you can only go through one, it has a sign that says "No hidden content this way" next to it. Once you're inside there's a surprise! There's no way to leave without killing yourself (the fall from the platform is too high to survive) but it's worth it to see inside imo.

Alternatively if you have TBOGT you can get inside more easily, since Luis has a parachute so you can try to parachute on to the platform instead. Or if you give Luis lots of drinks at a club (from the bar or with the drinking contest) until he passes out, he'll wake up the next morning in several different random locations around the city. One of the possible locations is inside the statue. So could just keep doing that until he wakes up in there.  

• Like 2

All of the "hard" missions of III, VC and SA seem way too easy to me these days. I don't get why people call them "hard" when all you have to do is to put a little more focus on them than average.

• Like 4

Generally it's interesting how many of the formerly tough missions from those older games actually turn out to be much easier than you thought once you take a more thorough look at how they work. Often the true difficulty gets masked by design that makes you feel like you're in more of a rush than you need, triggering mistakes that might not have happened otherwise. I'm not saying this is an outright bad thing, given how it makes several of these missions more memorable than they otherwise could've been.

GTA 3 has Espresso-2-Go as its finest example. Not everyone seems to realize that you can just locate all the stalls before starting the countdown, and this late in the game your knowledge of the map should be good enough that you won't spend too long wandering around hopelessly lost, particularly with the most annoying island SSV's two targets being in the easiest to access neighborhoods.

In Vice City, many of us just gave up on G-Spotlight's intended method and used a helicopter. (In V, you'd probably get a swoosh and a mission failed before you had the chance to pilot it to even the first checkpoint.) But as @Blaze displays here, you can do it just fine in a Faggio if you'd like. There's a time limit, but it's not as strict as the game makes it seem.

Demolition Man was much of the same, pressuring you with a time limit and all, but if you took your time to learn how the building structure worked, it became a piece of cake as long as you kept calm and didn't crash the chopper (which handles far better than that other one) into something every 2 seconds. And again, the timer wouldn't start until your first action, so the savvy strat that many of us didn't consider was to plant the top bomb first to cut down on travel time.

And for San Andreas, there's that Smoke mission with the motorcycle chase... OG Loc. Yeah, WSOTT was my achilles heel too, but that mission was more intimidating by a long shot. Being thrust on a sports bike for about the first time in the game, with your bike skills still at 0 and bad experiences from VC's unstable bikes probably still in the back of your head, you're now told to go on a high speed chase through winding East LS alleyways, a hazardous bumpy downhill road, the wrong way down a highway, etc. etc. until finally ending up at the basketball court. The game makes it seem as though you'll need to be at your absolute fastest all the time to stay with Freddy, when in reality he stops about a dozen times just to help you keep up, and provided you don't fall off or anything, you can take your time and not fail the chase for distance reasons either. Loc's gun is useless, but there's also nothing stopping you from shooting him yourself and ending the sequence before even passing by the Vagos gang house and Jefferson Motel. (Supposedly they "fixed" this in newer releases though, so that amps the difficulty up a bit, though there's still nothing terribly nasty to deal with, only the game pressuring you and trying to get under your skin.)

For Wrong Side of the Tracks, you basically only had to know physics (and watch out for the damn oncoming trains) to proceed.

• Like 6

Yeah, that's just some weird arcade missions from 3D Era Grand Theft Auto games. However, what is really interesting is that you can actually complete (almost) every scripted chase in Grand Theft Auto IV much faster than the game wants you to. That's just great.

In Grand Theft Auto V you have to do these boring missions in the same way... every single time.

Edited by Americana
  • Like 3
On 12/12/2020 at 1:39 AM, Staunton Assassin said:

All of the "hard" missions of III, VC and SA seem way too easy to me these days. I don't get why people call them "hard" when all you have to do is to put a little more focus on them than average.

Honestly I find the difficulty of 3D era GTA games quite overrated. I think some people like to feel those games are “hardcore” when they’re really not.

The only time I ever failed missions in the 3D era was because of the stupid shooting mechanics or something. They’re child’s play.

• Like 6

Hi all!

So it's been a few years since I posted on here, but I'll give this thread a go.

I first played gta3 on pc many years ago, then got a PS2, so I got gta3, then gta:vc, gtasa(uncensored version), followed by lcs and vcs, both on ps2, and psp. I actually finished vice city, without cheats, so I was quite happy about that. Having some better known voice actors in vice city made it really feel like a great gaming experience.

Then gta4 came out for ps3, which I tried so hard to like, but with that idiot asking about bowling all the damn time, and the horrendous camera while driving, and the general 'bounciness' of the driving, stopped me playing it, so it sits in my ps3 collection, along with gta5, which I literally haven't played for a couple of years, due to Skyrim, building a better pc to actually enjoy Skyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, the gta series has been put on the back burner for now. Even during lockdown.

I actually enjoyed the music so much in vice city, I used to fire up the ps2 and crank up the speakers while I was on my computer.

I suppose you could say I'm a bit of a game collector, since I still have my original ps2, (working), N64 (working), original phat ps3 with hardware backwards compatibity, for ps2 (not working; needs a reball) , and the slightly newer ps3, no compatibility(boo!), and I have games for all of them, not counting the thousands I have on pc, in some form or another (drive, disc etc).

It was gta3 that started off this mild obsession, and I couldn't have been happier than when I was in the tank, and just going mental in the city. I never lasted all that long, but I'd just keep spawning that tank, rinse, and repeat.

So I guess you could say that Rockstar games were my guilty pleasure for the last 18-odd years, letting me be a little criminal in pretty much their entire game series, and enjoying most of them , except one (lookin' at you, gta4!). I haven't played rdr2 yet, but I'll get around to it some year, just not this one.

Anyways, hope this year hasn't been total crap for everybody, and we all keep driving on. I wonder when gta6 hits shelves? Who knows.

Roll up, light up, roll on!

Cheers from NZ!

• Like 1
  • KEKW 2
26 minutes ago, TheMantisDied said:

Then gta4 came out for ps3, which I tried so hard to like, but with that idiot asking about bowling all the damn time, and the horrendous camera while driving, and the general 'bounciness' of the driving, stopped me playing it, so it sits in my ps3 collection, along with gta5, which I literally haven't played for a couple of years, due to Skyrim, building a better pc to actually enjoy Skyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, the gta series has been put on the back burner for now. Even during lockdown.

And here we are, almost 10 years after The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim was released... Grand Theft Auto V is still the latest in the series.

I honestly believe that a fair majority of the missions that the general community consider to be hard or challenging simply stem from struggling with them when you were younger, and carrying that idea into the game when you play it later in life. I can't speak for everyone but I started playing GTA games when I was very young, and struggled with a lot of the missions; Espresso 2 Go, Demolition Man, Death Row etc. Looking at them objectively now as an adult, they're piss easy with some preparation - find a map and memorize a route for Espresso 2 Go, don't rush Demolition Man, use a BP car/helicopter for Death Row etc. All of these strats seem obvious now with years of community experience with the game, but going back to 2002/2003 when the only resource was IGN or Gamefaqs text guides, it's easy to see how people can develop the idea of missions being hard when in actuality it just requires paying more attention.

I agree that the time limited missions will also cause players to rush through it and cause mistakes that shouldn't happen. For example G-Spotlight; with the PCJ being the fastest bike in the game (and arguably the fastest vehicle if you know what you're doing) and a timer on the mission, players tend to attempt to speed through it as fast as possible which when you're combining multiple jumps in a row with volatile bike handling it's easy to mess up and fail. G-Spotlight gives you until 7AM, in my run of it with a Faggio the first cutscene ends at 22:39. This gives the player 8 minutes and 21 seconds, which isn't a huge amount of time but in actuality it's more than enough - I made it to the end at 1:59AM meaning it took 3 minutes and 20 seconds and that includes shooting the glass out, two bails and getting caught on the Faggio at the end. That also leaves 5 minutes to account for any mistakes, which even a novice player should be able to complete.

However, there's more to it than just saying "oh take your time with it" - it's easy for me to sit here and say that The Driver is easy if you just drive carefully and avoid bad AI, or just don't rush G-Spotlight etc but I've been playing VC constantly on PC since 2006 onwards, and have spent the majority of that time stunting and making stunt videos. Because of that I'd say I have a better understanding and control of vehicle mechanics/gameplay than the average or even seasoned player, yet controlling the vehicles on PC is considerably different to those who are playing on mobile ports/touch screen devices, so I would definitely factor in the fact that there are a LOT of people playing mobile ports, and the controls of that could be impacting missions that are seemingly easy for the PC crowd.

Overall, I'd say the notion of "hard" missions boils down to a couple of factors; bad AI (seriously traffic in this game is absurd sometimes), lack of knowledge about the game/map/etc, and potentially the platform it's being played on.

• Like 5

Naturally, I couldn't even complete Grand Theft Auto in Grand Theft Auto III when I was a kid. 

When it comes to Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas then yes, Wrong Side of The Tracks was kind of annoying, not gonna lie.

I don't think that missions in Grand Theft Auto series are hard. Annoying, yes. But you know what's more annoying? All these stupid and unnecessary side-missions in 3D Era Grand Theft Auto games. I mean, missions like Paramedic are just... nuts. Yes, these are optional, but still. I haven't touched these stupid missions for years. 

(Also... why is The Driver perceived as such a hard mission?)

Edited by Americana
  • Like 2

I don't think the side missions are stupid or unnecessary, they offer rewards that are useful to the main storyline; infinite sprint, fireproof, extra health/armor etc. They might be tedious and repetitive, but just like mentioned above if you plan them out beforehand and don't rush then they're easy to complete. f*ck the Taxi missions though.

As for The Driver, the first factor is that the Sabre Turbo outclasses the Sentinel XS normally, but then the game also makes it bulletproof, fireproof and explosion proof, then ALSO gives it an "improve handling" flag in the Main.SCM file. The second is that for the most part Hilary doesn't have to deal with dodging god awful pedestrian driver AI. The fact the Sabre Turbo is so quick gives the idea you have to rush through the race, which again can introduce human error and mistakes. Realistically, Hilary only has better acceleration and cornering - you can catch up to him by the time you get to the Police station, crash into him, spin his car out and then you're home free.

Yes, but the design of these side-missions is just so bad. Most games don't save your progress, so you start from scratch. So... it's not like you can enjoy being a Paramedic, and roleplay as such. I mean, you can, but it would be kind of difficult. 

billiejoearmstrong8

I like side missions and collectibles etc but only of they're well designed, enjoyable to play and not just a tedious slog, don't require watching a youtube video/googling a map/otherwise looking up information outside the game to have a realistic chance of completing them, have easily trackable progress (so you can't end up stuck having no idea what you've completed and what you're missing) and preferably make sense with the setting/story/characters and have worthwhile rewards. When playing Red Dead Redemption for the first time this year I noticed its side missions tick all these boxes, there's no reason why GTA's shouldn't as well. I think GTA has better main missions but Red Dead side missions put GTA's to shame. 

I don't think older GTAs are that hard (apart from GTA III) but they're still harder than newer ones. I think the main reason is simply the much more prevalent and strict use of time limits.

Ubisoft games consist at least 40% of collectibles, and it works kind of good. Kind of tedious, though.

I don't like collectibles in any Grand Theft Auto game. You can't really complete them without an internet guide. Shame...

I’m currently downloading GTA V on my 360. Besides the PC version it’s the only version of GTA V I’ve never played.

I have it on PS3, used to have it on XB1 and have it on PS4. Then again I usually double (sometimes triple) up with R*’s games. I have pretty much done it with every R* game since GTA III. The amount of duplicates I have is insane lol. 

Anyway I actually have two 360 copies of GTA IV now also. The disc version and a digital one. Yep I’m a hoarding bitch.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin
  • Like 1

I remember thinking: I'm so glad I have a disc version of Grand Theft Auto IV on PC. Nothing will stop me playing this game.

...and then they added Rockstar Games Launcher...

23 minutes ago, Americana said:

I remember thinking: I'm so glad I have a disc version of Grand Theft Auto IV on PC. Nothing will stop me playing this game.

...and then they added Rockstar Games Launcher...

You're not forced to activate it and use it on [This post has been flagged and will be monitored] Games Launcher.