4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Best Free Software and neat tweaks.

TheMckeever

^^^^Useful links are useful!

Here's a question for you techies. I deactivated my Facebook(I know and am surrounded by too many self absorbed assholes) and a day or two later my mate casually said "I'm adding you to this group" and sure as sh*t he showed me my profile... up online. I never put it back on!!!! So I went back in and double checked(again) I deleted the all the permissions to all devices and apps, changed my password(again) and then deactivated it once more. Within 3 hours it was back up again and back online. Sent a report stating "I was hacked"

There's no other logical reason to it is there?! Some knob is sitting cracking my password!!! or are they!!!????

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! - I've already made a password made up of jumbled up letters and numbers now!

It sounds like you want to delete your account, not deactivate it. Once you set your account to be deleted it takes two weeks for it to be erased from public view. If you did indeed set it to be deleted, then the reason why it's still visible is because you're still in that two week period.

• Like 1

I deactivated it. Didn't really wanna delete it cause as much as I hate most the people on it, I still find it very useful and a more personal way to keep in touch with people far from me... but looks like I need to shut the sh*t down!

I deactivated it. Didn't really wanna delete it cause as much as I hate most the people on it, I still find it very useful and a more personal way to keep in touch with people far from me... but looks like I need to shut the sh*t down!

I know what you mean about not wanting to lose connections with people you never see anymore, there's definitely an anxiety about it. Before I deleted my account I messaged all of the people I actually cared about in order to get their home and cell numbers. That was five months ago and I have no regrets. It was an addiction for me and after purging the site from my life, I've noticed I spend less time (about a quarter of my browsing time was on facebook) on the internet and my life is better for it.

• Like 1

I stopped caring about FB years ago, now chosen to fully op out, not felt so enlightened to be "out of the loop" before. Same, nae regrets.

Also was getting fake friend requests and seeing lots of obvious phishing links too!

Edited by TheMckeever
  • 2 weeks later...

Best for what?

For general use, I'll use Ubuntu variants or Mint. My favourite is Kali, but that's fairly specific in design and purpose. If you're new to Linux, I'd recommend Mint.

• Like 1

Had a wee blast on a Ubuntu one, fairly easy to use and good lookin, also never heard a bad word about Mint so I'll check that out next!

Edited by TheMckeever

Well speaking of Ubuntu, there's various branches of the Ubuntu distro. My favourite at the moment is Elementary OS. I have it running on a standard old laptop and it looks and performs great. Very Mac OS-ish.

Also if anyone is running on Ubuntu/Linux and would like to run some Windows programs try using Wine. Wine allows some, but not all programs to run on Linux. Handy if you need iTunes or something.

• Like 3

XPadder and Motionjoy are pieces of software that allows you to bind keys to pretty much ANY controller that you can connect to the PC via USB. It's been extremely useful for me and I use it a lot to gain a competitive advantage in game with games that use aircrafts... e.g Battlefield 4, SA:MP etc...

• Like 1

What do you mean by free here.

Freeware, free of charge.

Or free as in "free to modify" with source code?

FoC relates to purchase prices (I.E none). Open Source is different and not really as relevant unless you're making stuff or building systems for a commercial purpose.
  • Like 1

What do you mean by free here.

Freeware, free of charge.

Or free as in "free to modify" with source code?

FoC relates to purchase prices (I.E none). Open Source is different and not really as relevant unless you're making stuff or building systems for a commercial purpose.

It was more about the wording.

The "Free Software Foundation" uses he free in another context than free of charge :p

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

XmediaRecode is the ultimate video and audio converter/muxer/trimmer for getting your video or audio files to work on whatever device, half the time it works without doing any conversion by simply copying the audio and video tracks and reconfiguring their container a bit. The best convertor out there hands down, even better than all the ones that want your cash.

I find it'll get MP4s that my PS3 says are corrupted data working within seconds. And when it doesn't I find simply just converting the audio seems to do the trick and that only takes a couple mins depending on the lengh/quality of the file!

XMedia-Recode.png

Edited by TheMckeever

There's too many different versions of linux to list but what is the best?

I wouldn't call any the best, they tend to fill specific niches, and when they don't they're mostly interchangable. (prefix)buntu, debian, slackware, and redhat(/fedora) are probably the four definitive desktop linuxes. If you're still looking to try out distros, slackware's a lot of fun and pretty easy to get working. The online help docs are a must if you want to do anything serious with it though. -- http://www.slackware.com/

OT:

- Virtual clone drive is the cleanest and least sketchy image mounting software I've ever come across, and it mounts really obscure formats too. They offer paid-for products, but the free version comes with no hassles and tons of functionality.

- Avidemux is a very simple video editor that allows you to do small stuff like trimming or re-sizing videos. It's a little difficult to use, but it doesn't watermark or save files at ridiculous sizes like most windows video editors tend to do.

- Tuxguitar is fun if you like screwing around with music. It's meant for guitar tablaturing, but you can write music and replace instruments in midis with it. It kept me entertained for a couple hours once. :p

Edited by puffy
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Zello is a great wee cross platform, walkie-talkie app. Using your internet connection to join groups or have one on one convos with people/friends you add on it or make a password protected group and the only way people can get in is with the password or an invite from a mod. Also some very hysterical idiots in the public rooms. The "Glasgow" room is defo the worst and the "Dirty South" is the US equivelent. Laughing at idiots aside it's the best walkie-talkie app around and completely free!

Edited by TheMckeever

I thought I'd throw this in here as I found a program just now: Snipping Tool++. Works exactly the same as Window's own Snipping Tool, but you can upload straight to Imgur from inside the program instead of pasting/cropping/saving/uploading manually. Extremely useful if you take lots of screenshots.

http://snippingtoolpluspl.us/

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

I gave NoScript a bash, it's good. Not only does it keep you save but also gives you a nice wee speed boost from not loading up gunk!

Anyone know anymore things like this! A must-have!

Malwarebytes will protect you from malware(Avast Free doesn't). Though you will need to make a habit of using Malwarebytes manually, the protection isn't automatic. Also if you're using Avast Free with Malwarebytes, make sure you place both programs on each others' exclusion list.

Malwarebytes will protect you from malware(Avast Free doesn't).

Sorry, that's not even close to accurate. Free AV protects you from malware of all kinds, just not adware/scareware/crapware to the same degree as MBAM.

Is windows 10 really as bad as they say it is?

I had a wee shot of it and I thought it looks slightly better than 7. Wasn't mine to fully delve into so never really had long on it. But I've heard it's got lots of compatabilty issues with programs... so not the Best Free Software atm.

Edited by TheMckeever

So I've been using this program called Flux, which essentially changes the hue of your monitors at night. Typically your monitor(s) will emit a lot of blue light, which tends to keep you up at night. With Flux, the hue of your monitor will change at sunset and sunrise, emitting a much warmer incandescent-like glow at night. So far, I like it, and I feel like it takes a lot of strain off my eyes. You can even program it to work with the Phillips Hue LED bulbs.

At first, I was a little concerned about the colors being off when using Photoshop or gaming, but it really hasn't been that big of a deal, and now I can't live without it. :)

https://justgetflux.com/

• Like 1

Also you can disable it for an hour for colour sensitive work - it's a little checkbox when you open it. Also seems to not affect full screen applications, which is nice!

• 2 months later...

For Android I'm still using a very old and dated version of Opera Mini as my main browser. It uses their servers to crunch the data down to a tenth of the size and pings it back to you allowing you to get on sites quickly. It doesn't look fancy and I do need to use Chrome on certain sites to get on them. Cause my phones ISP haven't accepted my details to prove I'm over 18 the only way I can get on to 18+ sites via my phone is through Opera Mini cause they use their servers it allows access to 18+ and blocked sites. Also it doesn't allow JavaScript to run, which in my eyes is a very good thing... All this and it only takes up 3mb.

Putting the normal Opera browser into "Off-Road" or "Turbo" mode will also put you in the fast and uncencored lane!

Edited by TheMckeever

I'm not even sure where to start in highlighting how ban from a security perspective, or downright factuslly wrong, pretty much everything you just said about I'm afraid.

Not even sure where to start highlighting how bad from a security perspective...

Well what would you says the best browser for mobiles that gets me on 18+ sites like this?

That's a pretty niche use case, but any half decent VPN should let you bypass your carrier's DNS filtering. I was referring primarily to the suggestion that using an old, outdated (read: vulnerable) browser to visit the category of website you're far and away likeliest to get malware from (adult sites) was remotely sensible advice.

I know your a techGod sivi but this ole browser really does do the trick but maybe I'm an idiot thats riddled with malware, but as I said it doesn't support java which I thought was safer. I'm not gonna stop using it even if you were to tell me Snowden had rooted himself in my backside... unless you can tell me what's the best Free VPN...

Asking someone what the best free VPN is is like asking someone what their favourite brand of fizzy drink is- it's pretty subjective. That said, one of the ones that hasn't been man-in-the-middling everyone's traffic so they could slurp it up for their own purposes is probably a good start. CyberGhost is pretty good as far as ad-supported options go but the monthly fees on some of the proper paid services are super cheap anyway.

I think you're conflating two entirely separate things when you talk about Java. Blocking JavaScript from running without explicit permission used to be a pretty good mitigation against common web-based attacks, but these days exploit kit authors have a myriad of ways of getting round it. Unpatched Java implementations are still targeted with attacks for the purposes of spreading malware, and we get the odd 0-day but they're mostly used by states; vast swathes of the internet fun on a Java backbone. Java and JavaScript aren't the same thing and a lack of outright support for Java is in no way good.

Conversely, an old version of Opera I'd likely to have unpatched security vulnerabilities, as is often the case eith legacy software. Using it to bypass content restrictions so you can watch grumble flicks on your phone is a bit silly IMO.

• Like 1