3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Ai®a©ob®a

Newtown Ct Families File Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Bushmaster

Frank Brown

There is no reason at all that we should be able to own devices that are made to specifically end human life.

No reason.

So we shoudnt own:

knives

cars

trucks

motorcycles

any other land vehicle

planes

helicopters

boats

axes

swords

the list goes on

All of these at some point in time were specifically designed to kill. So we shouldn't own these right?

Of your list, the only items that were "designed specifically to kill" are the knives, axes and swords. All of which are pretty easy to defend against... it's a logical fallacy to compare guns to boats.

An axe and sword are easy to defend against while unarmed?

And for the "equalizer" comment; we don't live in Thunderdome. We have police for a reason...

To kill black people

Police which take a reaaally long time to respond in a lot of places?

Edited by Frank Brown

shhhhhhhhh

I personally think this is as stupid as the lady who sued McDonalds because she spilled hot coffee on her own lap.

Dottie

[words]

Of your list, the only items that were "designed specifically to kill" are the knives, axes and swords. All of which are pretty easy to defend against... it's a logical fallacy to compare guns to boats.

And for the "equalizer" comment; we don't live in Thunderdome. We have police for a reason...

To the second comment- We dont have enough police to enforce every area so people must be able to protect themselves. Sorry everything isnt so peaceful on Mars :p

Are you sure? Here's some more examples in spoilers to save space

WnW_sidecar.jpg

5bcaba45f40ee5300751d525fe9cccd237427180

german_ww2_half_track_at_the_combined_op

20090110_203814_Greek_Military_.jpg

AC130-gunship.jpg

Vdv_buggy.jpg

Just for lolz

45223582d804a734a4c02523fa41f1f0.jpg

Edited by Winning001

Dottie

How fast does the judge throw out this case?

Depends on how smart the judge is :p

I personally think this is as stupid as the lady who sued McDonalds because she spilled hot coffee on her own lap.

that, I found to be hilarious :)

AlienTwo

That's actually a very miss-used case, look into the details of it... f*ck it, I will for you. Here are the pictures of what the hot coffee did to that poor old lady's lap(Please note, this is a very graphic photo... look only if you have a strong stomach);

stella2.jpg

[words]

To the second comment- We dont have enough police to enforce every area so people must be able to protect themselves. Sorry everything isnt so peaceful on Mars :p

Are you sure? Here's some more examples in spoilers to save space

WnW_sidecar.jpg

5bcaba45f40ee5300751d525fe9cccd237427180

german_ww2_half_track_at_the_combined_op

20090110_203814_Greek_Military_.jpg

AC130-gunship.jpg

Vdv_buggy.jpg

Just for lolz

45223582d804a734a4c02523fa41f1f0.jpg

Yeah, but you can add a gun to anything. The wright brothers were not trying to design a flying death machine, they just wanted to fly.

Dottie

The point is that anything can be designed to cause harm to someone in some way

its easy to blame the object for the crime, but in fact it was the person that did the crime

What if the criminal was using a knife? or a chainsaw? or something else? you wont see people suing Craftsmen or Home Depot....

Guns are used because they are one of the most efficient things to cause harm to others (in a realistic sense) . Doesnt take much skill to point and squeeze a trigger as compared to something like a bow or a knife.

Yes there are nukes and whatnot but you dont see the average joe shmoe with a nuke or even a RPG lying around

If they get banned, itll just be the next efficient object

and so on. and so on. and so on

Edited by Winning001

shhhhhhhhh

So if she were to have spilled coffee on herself that she made at home would she have been justified to sue the makers of the coffee pot?

This is the age of "sue-happy" people. Too many people are taking up the time and efforts of our court systems to dispute irrelevant issues that don't amount to a hill of beans all because they want a payday. And then the general population wonders why so much is over looked or handled too lightly.

What good is suing the manufacturer for a psychopath misusing their merchandise? It's not going to bring those children back. It's not going to heal the broken hearts of the parents & families. All it will do is start the age old 2A pro/con argument, hurt a part of the economy, and force the victims to relive that day once again.

Glass Cloud

This is also and age where dumb f*ck parents are able to put a monetary value on their kids as if they where goods...

AlienTwo

its easy to blame the object for the crime, but in fact it was the person that did the crime

What if the criminal was using a knife? or a chainsaw? or something else? you wont see people suing Craftsmen or Home Depot....

Guns are used because they are one of the most efficient things to cause harm to others (in a realistic sense) . Doesnt take much skill to point and squeeze a trigger as compared to something like a bow or a knife.

Yes there are nukes and whatnot but you dont see the average joe shmoe with a nuke or even a RPG lying around

I guess we are talking about 2 different things... this lawsuit? It's ridiculous because they company didn't do anything illegal. But my statement that started this mini-convo (No one needs guns ever) I still stand behind. You say what if the criminal used a knife, and oddly enough there was a mass stabbing at a school in China on the very day of Sandy Hook.

Death count: 0

Source;

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/china-school-knife-attack-leaves-23-injured/

This is why knives aren't as big of an issue. Additionally, adding a gun to an inanimate object and using that "object+gun" as a reason why "object" should also be banned (if we are disusing banning guns) has got to be incredibly and very obviously, weak. Even to gun rights supporters....

AlienTwo

So if she were to have spilled coffee on herself that she made at home would she have been justified to sue the makers of the coffee pot?

This is the age of "sue-happy" people. Too many people are taking up the time and efforts of our court systems to dispute irrelevant issues that don't amount to a hill of beans all because they want a payday. And then the general population wonders why so much is over looked or handled too lightly.

What good is suing the manufacturer for a psychopath misusing their merchandise? It's not going to bring those children back. It's not going to heal the broken hearts of the parents & families. All it will do is start the age old 2A pro/con argument, hurt a part of the economy, and force the victims to relive that day once again.

Not at all, did you look at the picture I provided? It was coffee that was a "little to hot" it gave her severe 3rd degree burns. She asked for the worker to put in creamer and sugar, and the worker didn't, so they pulled into a spot to put the cream/sugar in. When the lady went to open the coffee cup, the lid slipped off and she was burned.

McDonalds had received several complaints about the temp of the coffee, others had gone to the hospital, but they decided it was cheaper to pay people who are injured off than to lower their coffee temp. The large amount of money provided was a punitive measure, one designed to make McDonalds lower their coffee temp so it wouldn't burn the sh*t out of other people.

mr quick

It's not the manufacturer's fault that they're doing what's legal in the US.

Frank Brown

I guess we are talking about 2 different things... this lawsuit? It's ridiculous because they company didn't do anything illegal. But my statement that started this mini-convo (No one needs guns ever) I still stand behind. You say what if the criminal used a knife, and oddly enough there was a mass stabbing at a school in China on the very day of Sandy Hook.

Death count: 0

Source;

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/china-school-knife-attack-leaves-23-injured/

This is why knives aren't as big of an issue. Additionally, adding a gun to an inanimate object and using that "object+gun" as a reason why "object" should also be banned (if we are disusing banning guns) has got to be incredibly and very obviously, weak. Even to gun rights supporters....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Kunming_attack

Death count: 33

Injuries: 143

Don't see your point. Are we just going to ignore the fact that 23 people - 22 children, 1 adult - were stabbed brutally in your link? Death is really bad, but being stabbed probably isn't fun either, especially if you're a child.

Let me add: Would Newtown have been less heart-wrenching if the kids were only paralyzed?

Edited by Frank Brown

AlienTwo
Would Newtown have been less heart-wrenching if the kids were only paralyzed?

Wow... really?

Yes. Yes it would.

Frank Brown

Wow... really?

Yes. Yes it would.

Paralysis is a life altering event. Sure, maybe it would've been a little less saddening, but are you going to tell me it would've been a lot better if they were shot in the spine and lost the ability to move?

I get that you're against guns, but seeing someone receive a life altering injury is almost as tragic as death, probably more so when it's a child. You can't just ignore the injuries as if they don't matter.

Anyway, we're getting off-topic, and I need to call my lawyer. We're suing the family of the Chinese alchemist who invented gunpowder.

Edited by Frank Brown

AlienTwo

Wow... really?

Yes. Yes it would.

Paralysis is a life altering event. Sure, maybe it would've been a little less saddening, but are you going to tell me it would've been a lot better if they were shot in the spine and lost the ability to move?

I get that you're against guns, but seeing someone receive a life altering injury is almost as tragic as death, probably more so when it's a child. You can't just ignore the injuries as if they don't matter.

Again, yes, a bunch of paralyzed kids would be way better than a bunch of dead ones (it's pretty crazy I've had to repeat this logical assertion as if I've just said chocolate tastes like sh*t). I'm not ignoring the injuries, in this hypothetical situation you gave me I stand by my assertion, and I'm sure every single parent would agree with me.

That knife spree left a lot of scared and panicked parents, but Newtown made a lot of parents into just couples, or single people. You can't ignore that fact.

Kampioen

This argument is used all the time by people who think guns should be legal. "If we ban guns, shouldn't we also ban knives? They are also used to kill."

Firstly, a knife is much, much less deadly than a gun. It's hardly comparable. You can post examples of deadly stabbings all you want, but all you need is very basic logic to understand that it's harder to run from a bullet than a guy with a knife, and that stabbing someone to death is harder than pointing at them and moving your finger. Secondly, you can't ban knives because they have a very necessary non-violent purpose.Hands are also used to kill, it's not about banning anything that can kill, it's about banning things which serve no other purpose and are much more effective at it than every day items.

Also, the argument that after banning guns they'll just ban the next most deadly weapon too isn't based on anything. In Holland guns are illegal, unless you're a member of a shooting range for a year, have practiced at least 10 times in that year (I believe), and you must keep them in a safe in your house and transport them in a way where they are not easily accesible. You are not supposed to use them for self-defence, only for sport. And things like swords, crossbows, air rifles, etc. are all legal. It's been like this for years.

Edited by CenMan

Crazyeighties

This is a crazy lawsuit. It was a horrible thing that happened, but its not the fault of the gun maker, or seller its not like they new it was going to happen. or they helped to plan the attack hopefully the judge and DA does the right thing and throws out the case. Maybe the families should be suing doctors of Lanza for nout putting them in a mental hospital or prison to protect the pubic

Killerdude

90898_XM15_basic-tact.png

So, Anybody gonna give me a LOGICAL reason THIS should be available to the masses?

This isn't a Hunting rifle, it's a god damned assault rifle, a Weapon with the SOLE purpose to end another Humans life.

Sure, People kill people, But when guns are just an everyday commodity, Those unstable people have a far easier time killing people. I am certain if guns were banned, The monthly school shooting would have never become a thing, because these kids would have a very difficult time acquiring weapons capable of mass death.

I'm trying to understand the "no Gun control will reduce crime" argument, when the country with the worlds LOWEST crime rate has some of, if not the strictest gun restrictions in the world.

Edited by Killerdude8

Dottie

So, Anybody gonna give me a LOGICAL reason THIS should be available to the masses?

This isn't a Hunting rifle, it's a god damned assault rifle, a Weapon with the SOLE purpose to end another Humans life.

Sure, People kill people, But when guns are just an everyday commodity, Those unstable people have a far easier time killing people. I am certain if guns were banned, The monthly school shooting would have never become a thing, because these kids would have a very difficult time acquiring weapons capable of mass death.

I'm trying to understand the "no Gun control will reduce crime" argument, when the country with the worlds LOWEST crime rate has some of, if not the strictest gun restrictions in the world.

Ummmmmmmmmmm.....mmmmmmmm. Thats not an assault rifle unless it has burst fire/full auto capabilities. go do some research before you slap assault rifle on any old gun

People do go hunting with those, but not all of the time because the 5.56 NATO (.223 in civilian terms) does not have the stopping power to reliably take down large game in one shot as compared to full rifle rounds like the 7.62 NATO (.308), .30-06, 8mm mauser, etc

So what makes this

so different than this?

ruger-mini-14.jpg

Same round. Both semi auto. Uses the same magazines. So tell me. Whats the difference?

Also go look at Switzerland's gun crime statistics. Also they have some of the loosese gun restriction laws there too

Edited by Winning001

Frank Brown

Can you give me a reason why that specific weapon shouldn't be available to the masses, or at least those who meet certain requirements, such as a background check or training? Handguns are the cause of most firearm homicides in the United States.

Crazyeighties

For sport and home protection, my boss has one or two guns are not a problem if they are used in a safe manor if your going to own something like a assault rifle I do think you should be required to own a gun safe that way they don't fall into the hands of the wrong person I want you to give us a good reason that guns should not be allowed

Killerdude

Can you give me a reason why that specific weapon shouldn't be available to the masses, or at least those who meet certain requirements, such as a background check or training? Handguns are the cause of most firearm homicides in the United States.

Because it's a f*cking semi auto rifle with a large magazine!

The most Civillians should be able to legally buy is a simple Break Action Hunting Rifle, None of this semi-auto/full-auto bullsh*t.

Ummmmmmmmmmm.....mmmmmmmm. Thats not an assault rifle unless it has burst fire/full auto capabilities. go do some research before you slap assault rifle on any old gun

People do go hunting with those, but not all of the time because the 5.56 NATO (.223 in civilian terms) does not have the stopping power to reliably take down large game in one shot as compared to full rifle rounds like the 7.62 NATO (.308), .30-06, 8mm mauser, etc

So what makes this

so different than this?

ruger-mini-14.jpg

Same round. Both semi auto. Uses the same magazines. So tell me. Whats the difference?

Also go look at Switzerland's gun crime statistics. Also they have some of the loosese gun restriction laws there too

There is no Difference, they are both assault rifles. One has a woodgrain finish, the other modern looking.

Also, Iceland, Worlds lowest crime rate, Incredibly strict gun laws.

Edited by Killerdude8

Dottie

The most Civillians should be able to legally buy is a simple Break Action Hunting Rifle, None of this semi-auto/full-auto bullsh*t.

you think 30 rounds is a large magazine. How absurd does that sound.....

30 round magazines have been the standard intermediate cartridge magazine size since WWII and standard for all NATO rifles using the 5.56x45 since around 1970

please save the embarassment and take your liberal agenda elsewhere. you just sound so silly right now

Edited by Winning001

Frank Brown

And why is that? You want logic for your answers, I want logic for mine. Why shouldn't someone be allowed to own a semi-automatic weapon?

Dottie

unnecessary flame bait deleted

Edited by Winning001

Kampioen

30 round magazines have been the standard intermediate cartridge magazine size since WWII

please save the embarassment and take your liberal agenda elsewhere. you just sound so silly right now

If it takes you 30 shots to take down a deer you're doing it wrong.

Killerdude

30 round magazines have been the standard intermediate cartridge magazine size since WWII

30 dead school children right there.

Because you know those crazy people out there aren't taking basic hunting rifles to their public massacres.

Civillians should not have access to Military grade hardware. If you think you need a semi auto rifle with a 30 round mag for self defence and you DO NOT live in a warzone, I don't know what to tell you, I honestly don't.

Edited by Killerdude8

Dottie

Doesnt mean I need 30 rounds to take down a deer. Its the preference of the owner whether or not they want to use a lower capacity magazine or a standard capacity magazine

Because you know those crazy people out there aren't taking basic hunting rifles to their public massacres.

What about police officers, or even security guards? hmm? you dont need 30 rounds to kill a harmful person do you?

might as well limit their guns mag capacity to 5 rounds too

your point is?

I could kill 30 people using 5 round magazines. I just have to reload 6 times instead of once

Edited by Winning001

Kampioen

Doesnt mean I need 30 rounds to take down a deer. Its the preference of the owner whether or not they want to use a lower capacity magazine or a standard capacity magazine

I prefer to hunt with hand grenades.

AlienTwo

And why is that? You want logic for your answers, I want logic for mine. Why shouldn't someone be allowed to own a semi-automatic weapon?

For the exact same reason a civilian can't own a tank, RPG or F-14. They are weapons of war, not to be put in the hand of whatever untrained idiot can scrape together the money to buy one.