4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

buying a new laptop

Dingdongs

Hello friends, associates, and acquaintances

I need to purchase myself a new laptop this Christmas. I currently have an HP envy I bought in late 2012 and it is a piece of sh*t, gives me problems in multiple games and the wifi is a disaster. Looking at anything below like 900 dollars that can play most games out now. Don't want a mac. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations. Most of what I'm finding has intel graphics and I heard that doesn't play anything really.

Thanks in advance

attention: nobody help this man.

he threatened us in another thread.

threatened us with some kind of vague... threats, you know, in case we didn't help him find a new laptop.

this man talks of Christmas and good tidings.

but anyone who helps him will surely find themselves on the naughty list.

attention: nobody help this man.

he threatened us in another thread.

threatened us with some kind of vague... threats, you know, in case we didn't help him find a new laptop.

this man talks of Christmas and good tidings.

but anyone who helps him will surely find themselves on the naughty list.

How dare you speak of what goes on in *that* board here

In other news, please help me find a new laptop somebody. I want to be able to play games and have a good processor and have the computer run fast. Definitely need something with better than an on board intel graphics and need something less than 900 dollars. Want to be able to play games like BF4 on high settings.

Edited by Irviding

Something like the Lenovo Y50?

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50/

The $950 model has a GTX 860M 2GB paired with an i7-4710 2.5ghz, which is probably the best you will find for around $900.

Thanks man. As for the graphics cards, I'm finding a lot of ones that are GTX 7xxM, I saw a 745M and a 760M along with a 740M in various different laptops. Are those any good or would I want something in the 800 range? I have googled them and some people say the 700s are good and others say they are outdated.

Something like the Lenovo Y50?

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50/

The $950 model has a GTX 860M 2GB paired with an i7-4710 2.5ghz, which is probably the best you will find for around $900.

Thanks man. As for the graphics cards, I'm finding a lot of ones that are GTX 7xxM, I saw a 745M and a 760M along with a 740M in various different laptops. Are those any good or would I want something in the 800 range? I have googled them and some people say the 700s are good and others say they are outdated.

While they are a little outdated (as in, last year's model) they are still very capable graphics cards. A new architecture brings performance improvements and better power efficiency (so battery life might benefit slightly) with the newer 800 series. Framerate wise, the 860M would be roughly on par with the 770M since every series brings a higher ceiling of gaming performance. It depends on what kind of performance you can find within the budget.

Have a look around yourself at game performance benchmarks (scroll to the bottom), pretty much every notebook GPU is on here:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-860M.107794.0.html

Edited by OverTheBelow

DU8afL0.jpg

Cool, got it. So I've narrowed down a bit more. With regard to processors I can see that i5 appears to be better than i7 but does that make a world of difference? If so how much

Thanks again

i7 is better than i5 but as long as they're four core units it doesn't really make a practical difference in gaming.

Untitled-1.jpg
P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

Intel 6900K @4.3GHz (1.285v) | MSI X99A MPOWER | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz CL14

Custom Distro Plate | XSPC D5 PWM | Watercool Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 
2x Samsung 860 Evo 500GB | Gigabyte WBAX200 | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

Thanks sivis

This is what I am narrowed to (all i7)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834317542 (The lenovo y50 that overthebelow posted, but from Newegg because I have an amex bonus if I buy it for 50 bucks credited back)

Lenovo y70 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834318109

This one has 4gb video card memory, what is the difference between that and the Y50 with 2gb video memory? Is it significant enough to justify the 150 bucks?

Also this Asus here has an offer for 100 off that expires tomorrow - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4P02CG6092 , is it significantly a step down from the Lenovos above?

Thanks again m80s.

Edited by Irviding

2GB extra VRAM is certainly not significant enough to justify a $150 difference in my opinion. That laptop also has a touchscreen as well, though. The extra VRAM doesn't make a difference in most games. It only affects games which hog obscene amounts of VRAM for textures as a result of poor coding. e.g. With Watch Dogs, the highest texture setting requires 3GB. If you think that (and the touchscreen) justifies $150, go for it.

As for the second laptop, yeah it looks like a quite step down. The 840M ain't great and the build quality looks naff on that one.

DU8afL0.jpg

Cool, so one final question before I buy. The Lenovo Y50 is what I want to get for sure, however the Newegg offers one with 16 GB ram for like 100ish bucks more than I can get it anywhere else with 8 GB ram. Should I go for the newegg offer with the 16 GB? Will that be a huge difference?