1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Nokia Lumia 1020

Mr. Scratch

I would check out any upcoming Lumia phones first

VWSTp.png

Megapixels have little to no bearing on the quality of the image. My 8.2MP EOS 20D will wipe the floor with the 1020 in image quality.

That said the 1020 camera is excellent. It's a shame about the rest if the phone it's attached to. The 930 is much better as an all-round option.

Untitled-1.jpg
P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

Intel 6900K @4.3GHz (1.285v) | MSI X99A MPOWER | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz CL14

Custom Distro Plate | XSPC D5 PWM | Watercool Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 
2x Samsung 860 Evo 500GB | Gigabyte WBAX200 | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

So it's a phone, but your sole desire is because of the high-definition camera? Sounds like you should just buy a camera.

You'd think that, right?

But thanks to how cellphones are subsidiezed, you can get a 41 MP camera phone for a much lower price than an equivilent camera. (Seriously, something like 100 USD for the phone + contract while Amazon is saying something like >2k USD for a >36 MP camera...)

Except a 41mp phone camera sensir isn't anything like a 41mp DSLR camera sensor.

There's no rough guide to equivalency between camera and DSLR but divide by about 10 and you're on the right track.

Untitled-1.jpg

Intel 6900K @4.3GHz (1.285v) | MSI X99A MPOWER | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz CL14

Custom Distro Plate | XSPC D5 PWM | Watercool Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 
2x Samsung 860 Evo 500GB | Gigabyte WBAX200 | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

I'm not crazy to even compare this thing to a DSLR, I mostly want it for the camera. I am somewhat considering the 930 as well, but I'm not too crazy about its camera.

Edited by Mr.Scratch

The 930 camera is pretty much as good as the 1020s. Just with better OIS and newer accompanying hardware.

You can happily do 13"x19" prints off of a 6mp camera sensor. 41 is just an arbitrary and stupid big number to try and make the camera appear better than it actually is.

Untitled-1.jpg

You can compare the camera qualities here (click around the pic on the left). The 1020, while lacking in other departments, probably has the best camera in its price range, so if quality pictures are your main agenda I'd say just go for it.

qRNj5vr.gif

Mate, just get a dedicated point and shoot. You'll get better image quality out of less megapixels, more flexibility with settings (mainly zoom & aperture variations which phone cameras do not offer) to extend your learning of manual camera settings, and there's less chance of you regretting carrying about a fairly bulky phone in your pocket in the future couple of years.

The 41MP sensor is only good for the digital zoom and in no way is an indicator of image quality (41mp is just a massive image which is cropped when using digital zoom). I dare say the low light performance will be less than satisfactory because of the ridiculous megapixel to sensor size ratio. For the most part, the 41MP is mostly for marketing rather than actual advantageous use in real world situations.

DU8afL0.jpg