3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Last minute opinions on a PC

Sugar Free Nos

4,5GHz requires a decent mobo to cope with it, and the one from this rig doesn't seem up to the job (4+1 VRMs, it might overheat after OC; I'd suggest 8+2 at least). It's not as bad as I'd expect from a prebuilt PC though.

I wouldn't also be sure about performance, in most gaming tests I've seen FX rivalries the i3, not i5. Of course it's nowhere near as expensive as i5, but still... I think FX-6300 is a better value.

74cXSsx.png

Yeah, it looks like it.. but that's for the on board video and not the GPU. I do believe you are correct though. Nice spot.

It could also be a display port.

It should, though you might have to mess with Windows sound settings to get it to work properly.

I'm looking at the front and rear ports and it seems there are only DVI and VGA ports. Are these inferior to HDMI outputs?

VGA is inferior, as it's an analog port, not digital like DVI/HDMI. DVI/HDMI offer equal picture quality.

Is this PC better than the one mentioned in the OP?http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=83-227-595&FM=1

TBH I'm still not convinced if it's a good buy, AMD CPUs aren't that great - but the price somewhat justifies that. And it also looks like they've included a really crap PSU from Solytech.

If you don't really care about mildly increased power consumption I still think that the FX series make a great buy. In real terms performance isn't that far behind even the latest Intel kit and the fact you can have a processor and motherboard combo for circa £200 that'll run a stable 4.5Ghz on a cheap midrange AIO water cooler makes it pretty appealing. Means you can spend more on a GPU, which is where the big difference lies in gaming.

Alright, so it's about time for the big purchase. Do you think this PC is worth the price of $589? It's part of a 72 hour sale, and we were thinking about picking it up on sale. This is the same PC suggested as before.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=83-227-595&FM=1

Just to refresh on a few questions, if you'd be so kind:

1)Will this PC be able to run most modern games at the very least 30fps on low-med settings?

2)Would you estimate that GTA V will run decently on low-med settings?

3)Would this PC support a decent headset/surround sound?

And ultimately, is it a good buy considering I'm not in a position to build one. $589 falls in the low portion of our $500-$700 range, and this is frankly the best prebuilt I've found in that range.

Any last thoughts?

Thanks a lot.

cixJdfg.png

GPU isn't great but yes, it should be capable of running most modern games well on medium settings. It's a pretty damn good price actually, but my personal inclination would be to pull out and sell the 750 and replace it with a 970. It'll cost what, $150-200 on top of the system but will play anything on the market or coming to it imminently turned up to 11.

• Like 1

Untitled-1.jpg
P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

Intel 6900K @4.3GHz (1.285v) | MSI X99A MPOWER | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz CL14

Custom Distro Plate | XSPC D5 PWM | Watercool Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 
2x Samsung 860 Evo 500GB | Gigabyte WBAX200 | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

GPU isn't great but yes, it should be capable of running most modern games well on medium settings. It's a pretty damn good price actually, but my personal inclination would be to pull out and sell the 750 and replace it with a 970. It'll cost what, $150-200 on top of the system but will play anything on the market or coming to it imminently turned up to 11.

That's good advice that I'll probably take.

Really, I just want something that will last a year or two. Until I can build one with my own money. I'm just looking for a good starter PC, and this is the best I've seen so far.

Thanks.

Also, does the power supply need to be upgraded, or will that be sufficient for long periods of gaming? Upgrading the gpu would also need an upgrade on the power supply, right?

Edited by Sugar Free Nos
cixJdfg.png

I suggest replacing the power supply regardless if you're actually gonna upgrade the GPU. It's from a really sh*tty manufacturer (Solytech), I bet it can't do rated power without violating ATX spec.

Crap PSUs are standard for most prebuilt PCs.

Edited by yojo2

74cXSsx.png

I suggest replacing the power supply regardless if you're actually gonna upgrade the GPU. It's from a really sh*tty manufacturer (Solytech), I bet it can't do rated power without violating ATX spec.

I don't understand what that means. I'm a noob.

All I want is for it to work. Will it work?

cixJdfg.png

It will work as standard. It might work with an upgraded GPU and the old PSU but yojo2 is right, for the $40-odd cost of replacing it with something not sh*t, well worth it.

• Like 1

Untitled-1.jpg
P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

Intel 6900K @4.3GHz (1.285v) | MSI X99A MPOWER | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz CL14

Custom Distro Plate | XSPC D5 PWM | Watercool Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 
2x Samsung 860 Evo 500GB | Gigabyte WBAX200 | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

Alright, well upgrading parts will be at least 4 months down the road. I will need a monitor, headset/mic, games, and later I'll probably get a better keyboard and mouse.

I'm not picky. Coming from console, even low-medium settings will be not only acceptable, but better. Better controls, better framerate, better prices, and better games. I'm not buying it for games to look pretty.

cixJdfg.png

Welp, fellas, my PC is on it's way. Thanks everyone for the assist and opinions.

Next up will be a monitor and a headset/mic.

Thanks everyone. I went with the PC we've be discussing. Hopefully I'll see you guys on Steam soon!

cixJdfg.png