3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

dual core processor

Kuai Liang

hello everyone have you noticed that all the new games like Assassin's Creed Unity and COD Advanced Warfare and Far Cry 4 are running poorly on dual core processors

i want to know are we going to have that problem with all the new games in the future ? are GTA V well have that problem ?

if you have noticed tell me what you think about it

Well, yeah. If your processor is old, it definitely will have issues with games. I think we're advancing at such a fast rate that not everybody can keep up.

Edited by android

VWSTp.png

AFAIK there's an unofficial patch for CoD:AW (or FC4, I keep forgetting which), which makes dual cores work fairly well in said game.

74cXSsx.png

I don't think GTA V will even run on Dual Core Processor. Assassin's Creed Unity runs on some Dual Core Processors with high GPU and RAM. But, it won't be same on GTA V. You need to upgrade. Like yojo2 said, Far Cry 4 can run on Dual Core with patches. Just google it.

I was having framerate issues on lots of games 5 years ago because of my dual core. It is definitely not enough for the majority of modern games in my opinion. Upgrading to my i5 was like night and day; the old processor was holding my AMD HD 5850 back like crazy.

Edited by OverTheBelow

DU8afL0.jpg

GTA V shouldn't have that problem. While a dual core isn't going to see the performance that a quad core will give, unless GTA 5 only uses 2 cores for whatever reason, they are still capable of doing stuff. The games that "can't run" on dual core CPUs can run on dual cores, the devs just decided to prevent the games from launching on systems with dual core CPUs.

You could get a Xenon CPU (if it fits in your mobo socket) and I'm sure it would work fine. There are tons of people that have Xenon builds and they can play games without an issue.

VWSTp.png

It's Xeon, not Xenon. ;)

Anyway - @: could you post the full specs of your rig?

74cXSsx.png

Ah, I mixed it up with the 360's CPU.. darn it! Thanks for pointing that out, though.

VWSTp.png

i was searching and i found that cpu and i want to know if it good or not because im not good in processors but im good in video cards

intel core i7 - 3770k

i was searching and i found that cpu and i want to know if it good or not because im not good in processors but im good in video cards

intel core i7 - 3770k

It's decent, it's a generation behind though. If your rig is just for gaming then go with an i5.

Depending on where you buy it (Micro Center is a good 50$ less than the others but requires in-store pickup), you should be able to go with an i7-4790k @ 4.0 GHz for almost the same price as the i7-3770k @ 3.5GHz. Of course, the 4790k requires a LGA 1150 motherboard and the 3770k requires a LGA 1155 motherboard... If you were to get an i5 (which someone is bound to suggest), the i5-3570 @ 3.4 GHz is about ~100$ less than the i7-3770k, for a loss of Hyper-Threading and 0.1 GHz.

If you are just replacing the CPU and nothing else, as yojo said, please list your specifications so that we can take that into account in our recommendations. No point in telling you about a LGA 1150 processor if you can't get that motherboard... Or if you are going to be building a new computer or are willing to replace parts.

intel core i7 - 3770k

First tell us the specs of your PC, because right now we don't even know if this CPU is compatible with what you have.

74cXSsx.png

CPU : Intel® Celeron® CPU G1610 @ 2.60GHz

Video Card : AMD Radeon HD 6450

RAM : 4.0 GB

yeah i know it's not good for gaming that's why i want to upgrade it

Edited by gta modded

You forgot about the motherboard :p

There's a good chance that the i7-3770k will work, but presumably your mobo is low-end as well, so there's no point in getting the K version. It might be a more reasonable idea to get i7-3770/Xeon E3-1231V2, or i5-3470.

And bear in mind that the GPU is holding you back too.

74cXSsx.png

We pretty much optimize for 4 cores these days. That's not to say that no work gets put into making sure things work fine on 1-2 cores, but more than 50% of players and 100% of consoles run 4+ cores. So that configuration gets more love.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

Like yojo2 said, I wouldn't suggest upgrading to 3770k from the current celeron processor you here, not without a good GPU and memory upgrade. You should be good enough with a i5-3470. The K versions require high end setup, so it's always good to have 8GB for it.

You forgot about the motherboard :p

There's a good chance that the i7-3770k will work, but presumably your mobo is low-end as well, so there's no point in getting the K version. It might be a more reasonable idea to get i7-3770/Xeon E3-1231V2, or i5-3470.

And bear in mind that the GPU is holding you back too.

None of that will do any good if his power supply is lacking, and for someone of this experience (no offense, just stating) I don't think reconnecting every power pin on the mobo with the PSU is something they'd want to do comfortably.

It's not just about the number of cores, it's how fast they are, isn't it? A high-end i5 dual core will run pretty much any game, won't it? It's quite good out of the box, and can be clocked quite higher.

I'm not sure if it's true, but I've been told that a high GHz i5 may be better at attaining high FPS in games than an i7 quad core with slightly less GHz. It's a couple of years since I heard it, maybe it was true then but not now.

Edited by OG Viking

Quad cores are the way to go for gaming nowadays. There aren't pretty much any dual core desktop i5s left on the market anyway (from current generation only i5-4570T(E) has two cores).

Nearly all current games utilise 3-4 threads at best, so they don't benefit from Hyper Threading that i7 offers - meaning that the i5 and i7 heave pretty much equal performance at the same clock speeds.

74cXSsx.png

It's not just about the number of cores, it's how fast they are, isn't it? A high-end i5 dual core will run pretty much any game, won't it? It's quite good out of the box, and can be clocked quite higher.

I'm not sure if it's true, but I've been told that a high GHz i5 may be better at attaining high FPS in games than an i7 quad core with slightly less GHz. It's a couple of years since I heard it, maybe it was true then but not now.

Overclocking has very little effect in games AFAIK.

Also, In terms of gaming, an i7 is just an i5 with a higher clock speed out the box. The extra bells that the i7 has makes no improvement in games. Hell, a Pentium K (G3528) can match the i7 and i5 in most games as most games make use of very few cores. Obviously with the consoles using more cores this time around I'd expect that to change.

Quad cores are the way to go for gaming nowadays. There aren't pretty much any dual core desktop i5s left on the market anyway (from current generation only i5-4570T(E) has two cores).

Nearly all current games utilise 3-4 threads at best, so they don't benefit from Hyper Threading that i7 offers - meaning that the i5 and i7 heave pretty much equal performance at the same clock speeds.

Mobile versions of Haswell i5s are dual core.

As for performance, is using 4 threads basically the same as using 4 cores?

Edited by OG Viking

No, not even close. According to Intel, Hyper Threading gives up to 30% performance boost.

And yeah, I know that there are dual core mobile i5s (I fail to see the point of those... why not just get the i3 then). I was talking about desktop CPUs though. :)

74cXSsx.png