3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

UK Recommendations - where to buy a new rig

Jimbatron

I last got a new rig back in January 2010. It's obviously showing its age now, and with GTA V on the PC coinciding with it being 5 years old, I figure it is probably about time I got a new one.

My old one I bought from here:

https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/

Although satisfied, this was quite a young, keenly priced company back then and it seems to have become a lot more expensive over the last few years.

So, does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy, specifically in the UK? It's been a while since I built my own (2003 was the last time I ordered components and built myself) - whilst I'm aware that can be a lot cheaper I also don't have that much free time these days, so I'm most likely going to get one pre-built. This said, if anyone can persuade me with links to substantially cheap prices for graphics cards and processors, I might change my mind!

My budget if people are interested is about £1,000. I won't need a monitor or any other ancillaries. If someone wants to recommend a spec too, then any thoughts will be gratefully received. Besides gaming I also use my PC for doing mathematical/statistical analysis on very large data sets, and video editing. Hopefully aiming to get something that will stand the test of time for another 5 years.

Any local PC place in your town will be happy to build it for you. Can I recommend you to buy your own parts and give it to a place to build? That way you'll be more in control of your content. Obviously Amazon and eBuyer at the places to buy parts from.

As for prebuilt, again, your local PC shop will be the best thing to go for again. That way you might even be able to ask for parts you want instead of general build power.

But I urge you to try and get the parts yourself. Maybe even a friend will be willing to put it together for you. I do understand your time constraints.

• Like 2

I don't think this needs a new thread. Post questions related to GTAV PC in the link below.
GTAV PC Questions & Answers
Edit: Guess I was wrong. I wasn't wrong after all. You posted the thread in the wrong place first.

Edited by Kevin3014

Any local PC place in your town will be happy to build it for you. Can I recommend you to buy your own parts and give it to a place to build? That way you'll be more in control of your content. Obviously Amazon and eBuyer at the places to buy parts from.

As for prebuilt, again, your local PC shop will be the best thing to go for again. That way you might even be able to ask for parts you want instead of general build power.

But I urge you to try and get the parts yourself. Maybe even a friend will be willing to put it together for you. I do understand your time constraints.

Thanks. I've had a look at Amazon and eBuyer, although to be honest the parts don't seem that cheap. Maybe things have just gone up a lot more in price in the last 5 years than I anticipated! I live in London, so I'm kind of expecting that the best deals will not be local as everything is more expensive here. Don't mind travelling or doing a delivery order option if someone knows of reputable value for money options.

I don't think this needs a new thread. Post questions related to GTAV PC in the link below.

Sorry but I disagree. This is a very specific question, and we have a lot of UK members on GTA Fourms. You could argue anything could go in the general Q&A thread, but the reality is it will get buried in there pretty quick by other posts and not get any response. I think to discuss the UK PC buying market is broad enough to warrant a separate post. If one exists already, then apologies, but I couldn't find one.

Edited by Jimbatron

In all honesty the tech section would've been a better place to put this.

Anyway, it's generally cheaper to build your own PC. Usually towards the mid and higher end. With low end PCs pre built are usually the way to go.

To find the cheaper deals for parts I'd use this http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Sometimes it'll say an item isn't available from a store but you may be able to find it on those stores so it might be worth double checking.

Before building it, it will pay off to look at some tutorials on how to build a PC unless you can get someone to do it for free.

Something like this will help

It focuses on Intel's LGA2011 but it's largely the same for other Intel sockets as well as AMD CPUs/sockets as well.

^ cheers for the links. If a mod wants to move this to another section that's cool with me.

Thanks. I've had a look at Amazon and eBuyer, although to be honest the parts don't seem that cheap. Maybe things have just gone up a lot more in price in the last 5 years than I anticipated! I live in London, so I'm kind of expecting that the best deals will not be local as everything is more expensive here. Don't mind travelling or doing a delivery order option if someone knows of reputable value for money options.

Yeah parts might seem expensive. Obviously the more powerful it gets the more the price will go up. Although it seems expensive, my build was about 1200 and a few months ago it was probably one of the most powerful single-GPU rigs. The parts cost you more if you get them prebuilt because you're paying more than you should for mainly labour. 780ti has gone down in price if I remember now the 980s hit the shelves, is that in your price range?

The 780 Ti is still substantially more than a 970 despite only being marginally faster. For 1080p gaming, that's (the 970) where the smart money goes. If you intend on 1440p or above, the 980 is the best best.

I'll reiterate what's been said above- don't pay someone to build a system for you. It's very easy to do yourself, not to mention infinitely more satisfying.

• Like 2

Untitled-1.jpg
P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

Intel 6900K @4.3GHz (1.285v) | MSI X99A MPOWER | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz CL14

Custom Distro Plate | XSPC D5 PWM | Watercool Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 
2x Samsung 860 Evo 500GB | Gigabyte WBAX200 | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

The 780 Ti is still substantially more than a 970 despite only being marginally faster. For 1080p gaming, that's (the 970) where the smart money goes. If you intend on 1440p or above, the 980 is the best best.

I'll reiterate what's been said above- don't pay someone to build a system for you. It's very easy to do yourself, not to mention infinitely more satisfying.

I think I will probably stick with 1080p resolution. I might as well keep with my 22 inch monitor, as I don't really have room for a bigger one, so I guess going 4k isn't going to really add much on that size of screen?

4k gaming isn't really possible at decent FPS and maximum graphical settings even on the most expensive GPUs on the market.

Untitled-1.jpg
P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

Intel 6900K @4.3GHz (1.285v) | MSI X99A MPOWER | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz CL14

Custom Distro Plate | XSPC D5 PWM | Watercool Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 
2x Samsung 860 Evo 500GB | Gigabyte WBAX200 | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

• 4 weeks later...

Edit: Guess I was wrong. I wasn't wrong after all. You posted the thread in the wrong place first.

Actually you were wrong. You said it didn't merit a separate thread. That's different to recommending that it might be better in another section - which someone did, and I'm fine with that. The irony is here you've now said it was in the "wrong" section, when you were suggesting it should have been merged with a different thread (which was not appropriate), in that same section you now yourself say was wrong!

4k gaming isn't really possible at decent FPS and maximum graphical settings even on the most expensive GPUs on the market.

That's true in regards to the very latest titles, but if you mostly spend your time in games like CS:GO, LOL and the like, which quite a few people do, it's very possible indeed. You don't even need that beastly a system to get proper frame rates.

One thing to think of is, at 4K, do you really need max settings? From what I've read, you don't really need Anti-Aliasing, which has always seemed to be a major demand on graphics power. If you're playing a "fast" game (shooting, racing, not turn-based), you might be fine with slightly lower settings as you aren't really sitting around looking at the scenery...

Come to think of it, how come game producers don't have different graphical settings for different situations? Such as for cut-scenes, free-roam on foot, free-roam in the air, cracking a safe...

I ordered parts from Overclockers UK a few months ago and so far I am very happy. The service was quick, friendly and reliable. I can't comment on how they handle warranty side of the deal, because so far none of the components failed me (knock on wood). I can honestly recommend those guys as they also have pretty much the best prices out there in UK.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/

i've been using scan.co.uk and amazon. so far i've found overclockers.co.uk to be a bit on the expensive side. to be fair i've only really looked at GPU's on their site. for example scan were doing an R9 290 for £221 but OC's wanted £240 for it.

scan i think is quite reasonable. a few items i found cheaper on amazon was the DVD drive, SSD and cpu. scan wanted £166.98 for an i5-4690 but amazon were selling the i5-4690K for £167.52! scan wanted £182 for the i5-4690K! meanwhile scan has cheaper case, gpu, psu. for my build i'll be getting 4 items from scan and 5 items from amazon.

another website i've seen A LOT when looking at part prices is Novatech. haven't visited the site but it's worth checking out since i've seen it at (or near) the top of the cheapest price list for parts.

if you'd rather not buy online then check out local computer stores. i guess it's just your luck. where i live they all have really expensive prices. the build i'm doing is already over £1000. i don't even want to think what it'd be if bought it from a local shop.

Edited by one55

I used Novatech to order my parts because a friend recommended it to me. Everything came in a timely manner and was very well packaged in one box.

Of course the biggest concern for a PC buyer isn't the delivery but the after-sales service. Fortunately everything went smoothly with me so I never had to contact them, but supposedly Novatech's customer support is very good so I went with them even though some of the parts were slightly more expensive. The big saving and extra value I was getting by building my own PC meant I didn't mind paying the little extra for peace of mind.

Web suppliers will almost always be cheaper since they don't have the overheads of rental, counter staff etc. that shops do.

Edited by epoxi

9H7Sj34.jpg