• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Hero

• Sneed

• Inadequate

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SkyGfx (Sky is name of Renderware for the PS2, any semblance to the actual sky is purely accidental) brings accurate PS2 and Xbox graphics to the PC version of San Andreas, Vice City and III  

Xbox-like code is implemented and seems to be working perfectly finally!!

Version 3.1 turned out to be bigger than I had thought. See OP for the link to the release. The first two inis are PS2 and PC like config as before. The third ini has some custom settings like the ne

I think it's the pipe assignment setting. The plants aren't using day/night rendering but matfx for strange reason, if they're the ones i investigated once.

Hey The Hero can You add a switch in the config file for enabling/disabling sniper scopes trails tint? I'm talking about VC version. SkyGFX does nice coulouring for all game with trails enabled (sharptrails plugin added) but when using sniper rifles, rpg and photocamera then it looks just as without this all nice warm colouring but only tinted to green-like and with warm colours disabled (snipers) or with warm colours disabled (photocamera/rpg). It would be nice to have ability to see the same colouring even when looking through sniper scopes, camera or RPG crosshair.

Joshuaninfo

Can someone tell me why SkyGfx is making game darker than usual? It is most noticable during loadscreens, the game also has higher contrast, regardless of setting. Is there an option in the .ini that causes this?

Also, is there an alternative mod that enables dual pass filtering? Silentpatch used to have that option but newer releases don't have it.

Maks_Grain4
13 minutes ago, Joshuaninfo said:

Can someone tell me why SkyGfx is making game darker than usual? It is most noticable during loadscreens, the game also has higher contrast, regardless of setting. Is there an option in the .ini that causes this?

Also, is there an alternative mod that enables dual pass filtering? Silentpatch used to have that option but newer releases don't have it.

On Trails

Joshuaninfo

@Maks_Grain4

Are you sure it is the one? I think SA doesn't have that option, but VC and III have it. I forgot to mention it is SA's issue.

Maks_Grain4
3 hours ago, Joshuaninfo said:

@Maks_Grain4

Are you sure it is the one? I think SA doesn't have that option, but VC and III have it. I forgot to mention it is SA's issue.

I'm talking about VC and III

Papaguevo
Posted (edited)

I want to ask about the posibility of having this mod in android devices? We have a big community interested about android modding and seeing a good PS2 graphics mod in that platform. Anyway I have to say that I love your work guys, you're gods of GTA SA modding :DD

Edited by Papaguevo

26 minutes ago, Papaguevo said:

I want to ask about the posibility of having this mod in android devices? We have a big community interested about android modding and seeing a good PS2 graphics mod in that platform. Anyway I have to say that I love your work guys, you're gods of GTA SA modding :DD

It's been partially ported to the Vita version, which uses Android version, so maybe look there.

Quick Check

Maybe it wasn't specifically this mod, but when I used this mod I noticed I had severe FPS drops in certain areas if my visualfx quality was medium or above. Setting it to low fixed the problem. Setting MSAA or draw distance made no difference. It was only visualfx that was causing the dips. I don't know if this was happening with the xbox or mobile configurations, but the PS2 configuration was causing my FPS to dip from my 120 FPS cap down to 72 FPS minimum in certain areas. Not any lower. This happened with shadows set to both on and off and grass disabled, so maybe it's related to the code or something? I am on a ryzen 5 2600 and gtx 1660 super for reference. I know san andreas isn't meant to be played past 25-30 FPS, but with some fixes, I managed to get the game working perfectly at this FPS. I used skygfx in GTA 3 and vice city and I played both of those games at 5120x2160 with some other mods installed and they never took a performance hit, and I am only playing at my native resolution in san andreas (2560x1080). I was playing GTA 3 at 60 FPS to avoid the sound bug and GTA vice city at 120 FPS, so it's exclusive to san andreas. Again, maybe this is related to remastered gui which was the only mod I did not reinstall along with skygfx, so I may have to do some testing later. But I got a good feeling it was this mod causing the dips.

AndroLoquendo 28
1 hour ago, Quick Check said:

Maybe it wasn't specifically this mod, but when I used this mod I noticed I had severe FPS drops in certain areas if my visualfx quality was medium or above. Setting it to low fixed the problem. Setting MSAA or draw distance made no difference. It was only visualfx that was causing the dips. I don't know if this was happening with the xbox or mobile configurations, but the PS2 configuration was causing my FPS to dip from my 120 FPS cap down to 72 FPS minimum in certain areas. Not any lower. This happened with shadows set to both on and off and grass disabled, so maybe it's related to the code or something? I am on a ryzen 5 2600 and gtx 1660 super for reference. I know san andreas isn't meant to be played past 25-30 FPS, but with some fixes, I managed to get the game working perfectly at this FPS. I used skygfx in GTA 3 and vice city and I played both of those games at 5120x2160 with some other mods installed and they never took a performance hit, and I am only playing at my native resolution in san andreas (2560x1080). I was playing GTA 3 at 60 FPS to avoid the sound bug and GTA vice city at 120 FPS, so it's exclusive to san andreas. Again, maybe this is related to remastered gui which was the only mod I did not reinstall along with skygfx, so I may have to do some testing later. But I got a good feeling it was this mod causing the dips.

Try setting the "radiosity =" value to "PS2", it will improve performance (although the result at high resolutions will not be as good as Shader). Anyway, it seems a bit unnecessary to try to play GTA San Andreas at more than 60 FPS.

Quick Check
30 minutes ago, AndroLoquendo 28 said:

Try setting the "radiosity =" value to "PS2", it will improve performance (although the result at high resolutions will not be as good as Shader). Anyway, it seems a bit unnecessary to try to play GTA San Andreas at more than 60 FPS.

It feels amazing to play the game at 120 FPS! I don't mind playing at 60 but that performance drop is just confusing to me. It was definitely being caused by skygfx, because I installed all of the mods I had beforehand except for the PS2 related stuff and skygfx and my game plays at 120 FPS locked with maxed out visual fx quality, MSAA, and draw distance. I wonder if a limit adjuster would change this? Not too familiar with 3d GTA modding, so I am probably wrong about that. Anyway, I will test out the suggestion right now.

35 minutes ago, AndroLoquendo 28 said:

exactly

Quick Check
50 minutes ago, AndroLoquendo 28 said:

Didn't do anything. If anything, it made it worse. I wonder why this is?

6 minutes ago, Quick Check said:

Didn't do anything. If anything, it made it worse. I wonder why this is?

try to disable the radiosity

Quick Check
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, JackGamer said:

try to disable the radiosity

Didn't make a difference. I uploaded a video showcasing the different visualfx options and where the FPS drops at from CJ's house, which you can view here: 

Pay attention to the top left of  the screen that says D3D9 and the FPS. There's way more areas than this, but the general conclusion is that the FPS drops are tied to grass. At the medium setting, I get FPS drops down to 100 FPS just from looking at an area with grass. Then, when I use high or very high, the FPS drops down to 72, with no difference between the two settings. Medium has a very low draw distance while high and very high increase the draw distance for grass. I downloaded a separate mod that added a bunch of high resolution grass that looked way better than the mod's grass and I didn't get any FPS drops. Setting visualfx to low gives me 120 FPS again, which disables the grass entirely. I had kept the skygfx.ini file at the default settings besides the tweaks that were recommended to me so the dynamic shadows were disabled like in the PS2 version. Is there a line in the config file that disables the PS2 grass and replaces it with the vanilla grass? I didn't even notice much difference between vanilla and skygfx grass anyways, besides the 50-60% performance drop.

Edited by Quick Check

8 minutes ago, Quick Check said:

Didn't make a difference. I uploaded a video showcasing the different visualfx options and where the FPS drops at from CJ's house, which you can view here: 

There's way more areas than this, but the general conclusion is that the FPS drops are tied to grass. At the medium setting, I get FPS drops down to 100 FPS just from looking at an area with grass. Then, when I use high or very high, the FPS drops down to 72, with no difference between the two settings. Medium has a very low draw distance while high and very high increase the draw distance for grass. I downloaded a separate mod that added a bunch of high resolution grass that looked way better than the mod's grass and I didn't get any FPS drops. Setting visualfx to low gives me 120 FPS again, which disables the grass entirely. I had kept the skygfx.ini file at the default settings besides the tweaks that were recommended to me so the dynamic shadows were disabled like in the PS2 version. Is there a line in the config file that disables the PS2 grass and replaces it with the vanilla grass? I didn't even notice much difference between vanilla and skygfx grass anyways, besides the 50-60% performance drop.

take a screenshot of your config of skygfx

Quick Check
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, JackGamer said:

take a screenshot of your config of skygfx

The settings are default. I played around with some of the grass options, but they only helped a tiny bit. I think this is just an issue with the mod itself, unfortunately. Are there any alternatives? All I really want is some of the PS2 post processing and features, such as the beautiful orange sky and the reflective cars. If not, i'll either stick to vanilla or just use low visualfx. The shadows were blobs on the PS2 version anyway, and the grass is pretty minor anyways.

Edited by Quick Check

3 minutes ago, Quick Check said:

The settings are default. I played around with some of the grass options, but they only helped a tiny bit. I think this is just an issue with the mod itself, unfortunately. Are there any alternatives? All I really want is some of the PS2 post processing and features, such as the beautiful orange sky and the reflective cars.

My config: https://imgur.com/gallery/xm5IkdG

Quick Check
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, JackGamer said:

I copied your config since it changed many things just to see what would happen and it made no difference. It's obviously tied to grass since, as I said, if I look away from grass or if I put visualfx to low then the game runs fine. I wonder what causes this? The grass looks the same as vanilla so clearly it isn't something graphical. Too many draw calls? Poor optimization? I have no idea.

Edited by Quick Check

25 minutes ago, Quick Check said:

I copied your config since it changed many things just to see what would happen and it made no difference. It's obviously tied to grass or something similar. Shame.

if you delete the skygfx works well?

AndroLoquendo 28
Posted (edited)

I copied your config since it changed many things just to see what would happen and it made no difference. It's obviously tied to grass since, as I said, if I look away from grass or if I put visualfx to low then the game runs fine. I wonder what causes this? The grass looks the same as vanilla so clearly it isn't something graphical. Too many draw calls? Poor optimization? I have no idea.

To have the grass as it originally is in the PC game, set the "grassBackfaceCull =" option to "1". That will give you the original density.
By the way, do you have the Framerate Vigilante mod installed? If not, install it, and configure the .ini file to limit the game to 120 FPS (by default it does it to 60), since it solves several errors when having high FPS and it may optimize the experience a bit. Obviously you have to activate the game's frame limiter. This limiter will be better than any external program.
In addition, you can also try MixSets, which also improves performance a bit and has very interesting corrections, although you should check each configuration of the .ini, since the functions are many and you may not want everything.

Are there any alternatives?

Not really, SkyGFX is one of a kind, and it's the best option, as it also fixes a lot of bugs.
Finally, if you want to know more about performance, I recommend reading this article.

Edited by AndroLoquendo 28

Quick Check
7 hours ago, JackGamer said:

if you delete the skygfx works well?

Yup. Stays locked to 116 with maxed out settings.

6 hours ago, AndroLoquendo 28 said:

To have the grass as it originally is in the PC game, set the "grassBackfaceCull =" option to "1". That will give you the original density.
By the way, do you have the Framerate Vigilante mod installed? If not, install it, and configure the .ini file to limit the game to 120 FPS (by default it does it to 60), since it solves several errors when having high FPS and it may optimize the experience a bit. Obviously you have to activate the game's frame limiter. This limiter will be better than any external program.
In addition, you can also try MixSets, which also improves performance a bit and has very interesting corrections, although you should check each configuration of the .ini, since the functions are many and you may not want everything.

Not really, SkyGFX is one of a kind, and it's the best option, as it also fixes a lot of bugs.
Finally, if you want to know more about performance, I recommend reading this article.

Yes, I do have framerate vigilante, obviously. I tried the frame limiter option with a 116 FPS lock but it made no difference from RTSS, so I went with RTSS to cap the FPS on the fly. MixSets does not interest me at all, and I doubt it would fix the problem. I also tried setting the grass cull to 1 earlier and it made no difference. The article was no use either. HOWEVER, a translation layer called DXVK translates DX9, DX10, and DX11 games to the Vulkan API in order to play them properly in linux. This program can also be used for Windows, and people have discovered that older games using DX9 and DX10 have seen dramatic performance increases even on NVIDIA hardware. The most famous example is GTA 4, which runs at 120 FPS for me with DXVK. I gave it a shot with San Andreas and after it was done caching, I saw about a 60% performance increase in the same, extremely demanding area at Very High VisualFX quality. It wasn't able to stick to 116 FPS, but medium VisualFX quality stuck to 116 like glue with everything else maxed. It is a major improvement, and never goes below 95 FPS at very high and high, but it sucks that I still can't play at 116. Medium isn't a huge deal though. Also, about the grass thing, looks like the grass wasn't causing the frame drops. Was it the mod just being unoptimized? I might test out older versions in a bit to see if they perform better.

2 hours ago, Quick Check said:

Yes, I do have framerate vigilante, obviously. I tried the frame limiter option with a 116 FPS lock but it made no difference from RTSS, so I went with RTSS to cap the FPS on the fly. MixSets does not interest me at all, and I doubt it would fix the problem. I also tried setting the grass cull to 1 earlier and it made no difference. The article was no use either. HOWEVER, a translation layer called DXVK translates DX9, DX10, and DX11 games to the Vulkan API in order to play them properly in linux. This program can also be used for Windows, and people have discovered that older games using DX9 and DX10 have seen dramatic performance increases even on NVIDIA hardware. The most famous example is GTA 4, which runs at 120 FPS for me with DXVK. I gave it a shot with San Andreas and after it was done caching, I saw about a 60% performance increase in the same, extremely demanding area at Very High VisualFX quality. It wasn't able to stick to 116 FPS, but medium VisualFX quality stuck to 116 like glue with everything else maxed. It is a major improvement, and never goes below 95 FPS at very high and high, but it sucks that I still can't play at 116. Medium isn't a huge deal though. Also, about the grass thing, looks like the grass wasn't causing the frame drops. Was it the mod just being unoptimized? I might test out older versions in a bit to see if they perform better.

Change the dual Pass rendering for grass to 0, this will however cause grass to overlap with things wrong (ie rendering grass that should be behind another patch of grass on top of it).

Quick Check
25 minutes ago, LaDiDa said:

Change the dual Pass rendering for grass to 0, this will however cause grass to overlap with things wrong (ie rendering grass that should be behind another patch of grass on top of it).

I tried that as well and it made no difference. When I enabled the shadows from the config file, even with visualfx set to low, shadows were still being rendered and I was getting the same FPS drops as the grass just in way more areas. It's an optimization problem with the mod. I have removed it for now and replaced it with a modified PS2 timecyc. Hope it gets fixed in the future, because otherwise the mod is amazing.

I tried that as well and it made no difference. When I enabled the shadows from the config file, even with visualfx set to low, shadows were still being rendered and I was getting the same FPS drops as the grass just in way more areas. It's an optimization problem with the mod. I have removed it for now and replaced it with a modified PS2 timecyc. Hope it gets fixed in the future, because otherwise the mod is amazing.

Did you make sure to remove the ";" in front of the line at the bottom of the .ini, otherwise it will just be ignored resulting in no difference in performance.

Quick Check
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LaDiDa said:

Did you make sure to remove the ";" in front of the line at the bottom of the .ini, otherwise it will just be ignored resulting in no difference in performance.

You're a saint! It worked! I used the default configs but with this line changed for all 3 of them, went to my benchmark area, and it was locked to 116 FPS with all 3 at max settings with DX9! I can confirm the PS2 config now sticks to 116 FPS like glue maxed out, but I need to test the mobile config more because it actually uses dynamic shadows. I guess it didn't work for me even though I changed it to 0 because I forgot to uncomment the ";" as you said. Is there a reason why this occurs? What is dual pass and why does it affect performance so much when applied to grass? Thank you again friend. Now I can enjoy the game with PS2 visuals and 120 FPS. Also, a bit unrelated, but do you know why my performance also drops quite a bit when using project2dfx? It's commonly recommended along with skygfx, and people say it has no FPS cost, but it drops my FPS just like skygfx when using the default settings. Is this just the nature of the mod, or is it something else?

Edited by Quick Check

wolverine3095

I have downloaded "SkyGfx_SA_4.2b"
It contains a "models" folder with following content: Mobile_details.txd, texdb.txt
I can't find details related to these 2 files in readme.txt
so what's the use of models folder? (I have asi loader, silent patch, widescreen patch installed, game version US 1.0)

Quick Check
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, LaDiDa said:

Now I have another problem. If I try to enable stencil and ped shadows, the same FPS drops with the grass are back, and they're much worse, like it drops below 60 FPS and it drops in way more areas. Any way to fix this?  This mod has some serious optimization problems. I disabled dual pass rendering entirely and it made no difference aside from the dual pass grass. I even tried on a fully unmodded game besides silent's asi loader and the mod itself and same crap.

Edited by Quick Check