• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Hero

• Inadequate

• Sneed

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SkyGfx (Sky is name of Renderware for the PS2, any semblance to the actual sky is purely accidental) brings accurate PS2 and Xbox graphics to the PC version of San Andreas, Vice City and III  

Xbox-like code is implemented and seems to be working perfectly finally!!

Version 3.1 turned out to be bigger than I had thought. See OP for the link to the release. The first two inis are PS2 and PC like config as before. The third ini has some custom settings like the ne

So VCS vehicle pipeline this option available, there could have some reflection valve option about this pipeline? just like ENB :santa:. I don`t find out any way to change reflection valve to weak or strong of vehicle glass reflection :blink:

Edited by ABS-IZAYOI

Honestly I don't really know how to debug it. The first thing necessary for debugging something is having it be reproducible...that seems to be quite a problem though. If you can snap a PIX frame.

Ok I will try take a PIX frame later. I'm having it with the tuning parts exclusively, every other thing seems to be working fine but I don't know how the f*ck happened, it seems gta and skygfx doesn't like my amd card. :p

Hi guys question for you how i can make work skygfx on gta vcs pc? i ask of specially VCSPC team like silent but if anyone know how to do this let me know

Normal maps are nice if it weren't for the lighting limitation that only 1 directional light can be used, that's why rimlighting is very much wanted (it doesn't suffer from this limitation).

Agreed, normal maps also don't really add a lot to low-poly peds... it looks kinda weird with them IMO, rim lighting on the other hand looks good on pretty much anything.

If The_Hero finds a way to bring it to SA, this mod will be complete for me.

Meh they could contribute a lot to low poly models, that's what normal maps are there for. Just don't use them on the default peds because they already have the details mapped into their textures, that's why it looks weird. Also the geometrie of your model should fit the normals.

Now I just wish I had the knowledge for 3D modelling and acces to a 3D modelling application so I could recreate the default peds to fit normals and update those horrible textures when seen up close :s

The skin mods don't help a lot either since most of the animations are bugged in those or have non matching cutscene counterparts.

Edited by LaDiDa

San Andreas works well with this mod but while Vice City works it disables the widescreen mod and III doesn't launch at all. What am I missing?

Edit: I think I accidentally deleted something (probably the ultimate ASI loader .dll). I reinstalled everything and III works perfectly fine now. Vice City should work as well.

Edited by Kristian.

I will continue the issue explained in this post (http://gtaforums.com/topic/829512-ps2-and-xbox-map-for-pc/?p=1068997864) here.

I've taken a look at the pipeline code now to see how things are rendered. Since d3d8 and d3d9 are not too different, it's clear you can use the same rendering logic for d3d8 that is used in d3d9. d3d9 handles everything correctly to my knowledge...in any case it does not modulate vertex colors by the material color on instancing. For the people interested in the gory details here an explanation and after that my conclusion:

The general lighting is controlled by a few states, not all of which are even used by RW (like specular properties) or are relevant to this problem, I'll ignore these. See https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb174694(v=vs.85).aspxfor a more in depth explanation of d3d9 lighting.

RW's lighting is controlled by the following:

• a material color and a flag whether to use it
  • prelighting in the form of vertex colors and a flag whether to use it
  • diffuse and ambient surface properties (values between 0 and 1) that define how much the respective light affects the geometry
  • ambient lights, these can just be added giving a single ambient light
  • diffuse lights positioned in the scene
The general lighting equation then is:

finalColor = (rwDiffuseLight*diffuseSurfProp + rwAmbientLight*ambientSurfProp + prelighting)*materialColor
The relevant d3d render states used by RW are:
  • a material defining diffuse, ambient and emissive colors
  • a switch for each diffuse, ambient and emissive specifying whether the geometry's color should come from the material (see above) or vertex colors
  • one global ambient light
  • lights positioned in the scene; *only* used for diffuse lighting by RW
The lighting equation then is:

finalColor = diffuseLight*diffuseColor + ambientLight*ambientColor + emissiveColor
The most obvious way of turning the RW equation into the D3D equation would be setting

diffuseLight <- rwDiffuseLightdiffuseColor(material) <- materialColor*diffuseSurfPropambientLight <- rwAmbientLightambientColor(material) <- materialColor*ambientSurfPropemissiveColor(vertex) <- prelighting*materialColor
and this is almost what d3d8-RW is doing, only a slight difference:

ambientLight <- white (= 1, 1, 1)ambientColor(material) <- rwAmbientLight*materialColor*ambientSurfProp
And the problem is apparent: emissiveColor as taken from the vertex colors must be pre-multiplied by the material color when instanced making the instanced geometry dependent on it, ugly. Notice however that ambientLight is just white...why not use it for something?

The D3D9 driver is more clever and does exactly that by switching ambient and emissive and using the ambient light for modulation:

diffuseLight <- rwDiffuseLight (same as above)diffuseColor(material) <- materialColor*diffuseSurfProp (same as above)ambientLight <- materialColorambientColor(vertex) <- prelightingemissiveColor(material) <- rwAmbientLight*materialColor*ambientSurfProp
solving the problem.

Note that disabling material color modulation or having no prelighting only simplifies the equation.

Now to fix this, two things must be done:

• the instance callback must ignore the material color.
  • the render callback has to set up the states like d3d9 does.
The first should be easy by just setting the material color to white temporarily.

The second requires a bit more work but as I already have the render callback reversed for the most part, it shouldn't be a big problem either.

I will also take another look at the xbox world and possibly rim pipelines for the next release so stay tuned!

EDIT: Xbox RW does it yet another thing. There the material color isn't used in the lighting stage at all. Instead it uses the d3d texture factor to modulate lit pixels with the material color. That would be possible on PC as well but I'd prefer going the d3d9 route.

Edited by The Hero

It would be cool to have the road effects from the Xbox version of GTA III and the other stuff that's missing in your mod. The lighting in the Xbox version looks different too,

No. I mean the actors look like their are lit up differently. Notice in that video the way Luigi's face is lit up.

I play with trails on on both the PC and Xbox version.

You're right that I'm not completely sure how the rim lighting values work. If I read everything from the file it looks wrong. Luckily someone made me a memory dump of the game so I should be able to figure out what values are actually in memory.

• Like 3

Yeah. It either doesn't work at all or the effect is not noticeable enough. I checked the same cutscene on PC with your mods and I can't see the same lighting effect.

Edit: I installed the Xbox mod for Vice City (though I removed some of the scripts and stuff that weren't useful) and Silent's trails script (plus the 2DFX mod). This is pretty close to the Xbox experience. The only thing that's missing is the big f*cking 4K monitor that I am planning to buy.

Edited by Kristian.

Well sh*t, I now implemented the d3d9 style rendering for d3d8 as explained above but there still is a problem: even though the vertex color is now multiplied by the material color the vertex alpha is not, because it can only come from the diffuse color channel which cannot be multiplied by anything. This means fading of meshes having transparent vertex color is broken right now (they just pop up). We can either live with it or - and I prefer this solution - I implement it xbox-style by using the texture factor....or I can do everything with shaders....I'll think about it but at least it is now somewhat working.

Edited by The Hero

Random unrelated question: can the game fail to load textures and models if you modify the images (gta3.img and txd.img) too much? I haven't modded GTA games in years but if I recall correctly, something happens if the models and textures become too disorganized.

At first I thought it was a bug with the Xbox mod when I saw parts of the road failing to load (and there were missing textures in Chinatown for entire buildings) but any missing model or texture would cause a crash (and I think the game defaults to loading textures from gta3.img if they are missing from txd.img, but I might be wrong). I rebuilt both images with IMG Tool and now I'm not getting any weird missing roads or textures. I hope that fixed it or could it be a memory issue?

as long as you use modloader or rebuild the img's correctly, all should be fine

modloader for GTA 3 is in it's early days but should be enough for basic .img modding, but if for some reason you don't want to use modloader, use fastman92 img console

Might be you have too many unused files in your img? There's a limit to these so make sure to throw out stuff if possible.

Edited by The Hero

I deleted and replaced a few hundred models and textures in both images manually as I couldn't find another tool that was able to simply replace files without having to delete them first. I was shocked that I didn't screw anything up. I installed only (essential) parts of the Xbox mod and the updates (had to trick the installers into thinking it was updating the game but I only wanted the contents of the images which I emptied in the dummy copy of the game to see which models and textures were updated in the update process). The end result is that everything works perfectly now which is weird to me because I remember a time when modding was much more frustrating.

There's one way you can figure out how many files are unused. What's your .dff and .txd count? Mine is 3856 for gta3.img and 718 for txd.img. Does the game convert every texture from gta3.img? At one point during the modding process I only had 700 or 708 .txds in txd.img but I found the missing ones in gta3.img and I added them to the image.

Edit: Here's some gameplay of my modded game. Everything looks great.

Edited by Kristian.

I don't know if it's the same problem.

But I once modded my GTA SA with Project ROSA (texture mod) and all textures didn't wanted to load at all. But Streamem fix fixed it for me.

Edit: Sorry didn't notice it was GTA 3 I read too fast. Or I didn't think Streamem fix area available for 3.

Edited by Davve95

I deleted and replaced a few hundred models and textures in both images manually as I couldn't find another tool that was able to simply replace files without having to delete them first. I was shocked that I didn't screw anything up. I installed only (essential) parts of the Xbox mod and the updates (had to trick the installers into thinking it was updating the game but I only wanted the contents of the images which I emptied in the dummy copy of the game to see which models and textures were updated in the update process). The end result is that everything works perfectly now which is weird to me because I remember a time when modding was much more frustrating.

There's one way you can figure out how many files are unused. What's your .dff and .txd count? Mine is 3856 for gta3.img and 718 for txd.img. Does the game convert every texture from gta3.img? At one point during the modding process I only had 700 or 708 .txds in txd.img but I found the missing ones in gta3.img and I added them to the image.

Looks like a solid Xbox port. Are you going to mix both PS2 and Xbox cars when you record Vice City? The Washington on the Xbox port only spawns with white color.

Looks like a solid Xbox port. Are you going to mix both PS2 and Xbox cars when you record Vice City? The Washington on the Xbox port only spawns with white color.

Already have fixed Xbox Washington

• Like 1