4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Gay Tony

Regreting the past- Backwards thinking?

Gay Tony

If we regretted nothing the human race wouldn't be where we are now. If Hitler hadn't done what he did, how would we know not to repeat it in the future or put safeguards in place? We wouldn't be anywhere or invented cures if we hadn't learned in the first place. This is evolution and leading towards a perfection of life and human existence.

On an individual level, every mistake/inaction you've made brought you here and made you how you are. Changing any one thing or situation could screw up your current relationships and personality.

If you were born in another time and place, you likely wouldn't think/believe the same way and might even be your worst enemy.

Shouldn't that basically mean you shouldn't be upset at anyone or anything that happens, ever?

What are your opinions?

mr quick

I think we'd have managed fine without all sorts of religion f*cking up scientific progress, and the holocaust

Doc Rikowski

Well, mistakes made in past history are repeated daily by the human species.

After WWII we had a decent number of wars, genocides, mass massacres and persecutions.

Regretting the past doesn't guarantee that you won't f*ck up again in the exact same way.

I think each one of us has at least one thing to regret in his/her personal life.

Something you would have done differently.

And even if having done things differently could have changed your present in the wrong way, it could also have improved it.

You'll just never know it for sure.

In the end though, it's better to not take this stuff too seriously.

LeftyGuns

If we regretted nothing the human race wouldn't be where we are now. If Hitler hadn't done what he did, how would we know not to repeat it in the future or put safeguards in place? We wouldn't be anywhere or invented cures if we hadn't learned in the first place. This is evolution and leading towards a perfection of life and human existence.

On an individual level, every mistake/inaction you've made brought you here and made you how you are. Changing any one thing or situation could screw up your current relationships and personality.

If you were born in another time and place, you likely wouldn't think/believe the same way and might even be your worst enemy.

Shouldn't that basically mean you shouldn't be upset at anyone or anything that happens, ever?

What are your opinions?

Do you think for a single second that if people couldn't go back and change things to exponentially better themselves that they wouldn't? You're giving too much credit to people in general. I for one would go back and make straight A's, bust my ass in school, figure out what made me happy in life, go to college to pursue that, and be happy as hell when I arrived there. Yes it would screw up a lot of relationships you've built over the years in the current state. But you left out the fact that it would also create relationships and situations that won't have the opportunity to exist. So it might be sad for you to think about that, but if you went back, it'd be the last thing on your mind. If you went back, you wouldn't know it was coming. People get cliche and say, "I wouldn't change a damn thing" I call bullsh*t on this. The pursuit of happiness is a lot easier to manage than the pursuit of perfection, because the latter is unobtainable. The amount of perfection in the human species can be measured by it's section that suffers the most. Everyone says they suffer.

Define Suffering

.suf·fer·ing

ˈnoun
  1. the state of undergoing pain, distress, or hardship.
    "weapons that cause unnecessary suffering"

The thing about suffering. It's subjective. The kid in South America that has to walk 5 miles with a bucket of water on his head, so that his dying mother can drink. Suffering

The homeless guy on the street because he drank himself out of a job. Not suffering.

The common thing between the two, if they could change themselves for the better, they both would in a heartbeat. If there is one thing that regardless of what walk of life you come from, people want to be successful. Without the majority of the bad things that go on in the world, there wouldn't be nearly the advancements we have today. Paved roads, roads at all for that matter. medicine, computers, phones, the internet, travel. All advancements from something horrible. Mostly war. But it doesn't mean that we don't regret it. You think the Romans regretted crucifying their enemies? I highly doubt it, but the next time I come across one, I'll let you know. Look at all the great things they did. And they had a no bullsh*t attitude about it as well.

As Doc Rikowski mentioned, just because it happened, and it was bad, doesn't mean it won't happen again.

There is always something we wish we could change. I don't regret partying my way through school, I have a job that keeps a roof over my head, keeps my family fed, and gives me the opportunity to do things when I want to. Would I go back and change things if I knew I could do it better? You better believe it.

My point, you don't have to regret something, or think about what you wish you would've done to make yourself a better person. But at the same time, kicking yourself in the ass every now and then about it motivates you to keep playing the hands you're dealt, and make the best of the situations

Gay Tony
The common thing between the two, if they could change themselves for the better, they both would in a heartbeat. If there is one thing that regardless of what walk of life you come from, people want to be successful. Without the majority of the bad things that go on in the world, there wouldn't be nearly the advancements we have today. Paved roads, roads at all for that matter. medicine, computers, phones, the internet, travel. All advancements from something horrible. Mostly war. But it doesn't mean that we don't regret it. You think the Romans regretted crucifying their enemies? I highly doubt it, but the next time I come across one, I'll let you know. Look at all the great things they did. And they had a no bullsh*t attitude about it as well.

How though? War is destructive and counter intuitive. Raping, murdering, pillaging, doesn't do anything and holds humanity back. Stealing from one person and using it for yourself doesn't advance anything.

Edited by mr toasterbutt

Doc Rikowski

mt toast you forget that there are sections of society and individuals that do profit from war.

On a larger scale nations that win the war most of the times do profit from it greatly and on many levels.

In the end who dies loses the war. Who survives it can benefit from it depending on its place in society.

Personally I still believe we should avoid war at all costs but I don't see that happening very often.