3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

GTAKid667

Grand Theft Auto III Pre-Release Discussion

thehambone

I've still got that brute force program running. It's taking ages though.

Did you program it to search some key words? Or just every letter combinations?

It's just doing every letter/number combination. No key words. Edited by thehambone

vengeancehawk

Is it just me or does the pedestrian that says "I don't deserve this.." sound cut off like it was supposed to say "I don't deserve this sh*t!"

Filip

I've still got that brute force program running. It's taking ages though.

Did you program it to search some key words? Or just every letter combinations?

It's just doing every letter/number combination. No key words.

100 years later.

GTA FANS finally got their renders from 2001.

hqdefault.jpg

Jacek_K

Is it just me or does the pedestrian that says "I don't deserve this.." sound cut off like it was supposed to say "I don't deserve this sh*t!"

Yea, once when I was chcecking pedestrian audio files, a lot of them sound cut off.

//XP//

Looked deeper into Gouranga archives and information. Turns out that Toni's alpha/beta name was Tony Facile.

Also, another hint showing that 8Ball was meant to have a bigger role, even helping Claude throughout the game.

ZFbPBH2.png

If you want to check the information by yourself, here's the link: http://web.archive.org/web/20010401010813/http://www.gouranga.com/info-gta3-frames.htm

Edited by //XP//

M0rk

Looked deeper into Gouranga archives and information. Turns out that Toni's alpha/beta name was Tony Facile.

Also, another hint showing that 8Ball was meant to have a bigger role, even helping Claude throughout the game.

-snip-

If you want to check the information by yourself, here's the link: http://web.archive.org/web/20010401010813/http://www.gouranga.com/info-gta3-frames.htm

Facile means Easy in french, Just sayin'

Sergiu

-snip-

Facile means Easy in french, Just sayin'

Off-topic: Not only in French.

Besides that, it's a synonym to the word superficial in English.

Edited by Sergiu

spaceeinstein

Wow, these discoveries are really great. I didn't think there could be so much more to discover on R*'s own website.

* Rampage missions were meant for Darkel, as their code were grouped under "CDarkel" section of (either mainscm or exe, i cant remember, but this is legit)

You can look at this list of source names that were extracted from the mobile version of the game. You can learn a lot about the minute details on how the game works from that list. Edited by spaceeinstein

RM76

Yea, once when I was chcecking pedestrian audio files, a lot of them sound cut off.

That businessman in the red suit who always rants about guns has a "dodge car" line that sounds like he was supposed to say "watch the f*ck out"

Instead, it's just "watch the f-"

I'm a little late, but congrats on finding those new renders of the APC, UJerk truck .etc. Can't believe they've been sitting collecting dust for almost 14 years on that site's server.

Edited by RM76

PhillBellic

Hambone, how's your program going?

Ghost Bear

Can we just email Rockstar, explain the story and ask them to reveal what images do they have there?

Wow, these discoveries are really great. I didn't think there could be so much more to discover on R*'s own website.

* Rampage missions were meant for Darkel, as their code were grouped under "CDarkel" section of (either mainscm or exe, i cant remember, but this is legit)

You can look at this list of source names that were extracted from the mobile version of the game. You can learn a lot about the minute details on how the game works from that list.

A little correction, these were extracted from very first release of GTA 3 on PS2, I don't remember exactly which one but it had binary compiled in debug mode with all classes and methods intact in the binary, apparently Rockstar were so in rush to have game released that they sent debug-mode compiled binary to the dvd print. I was rather inexperienced in all that stuff back in the date so I simply dumped it all as plain text and made it into that html page above, pretty sure even missed some stuff.

Edited by Ghost Bear

SILENT_Pavel

It's just doing every letter/number combination. No key words.

I wonder, why we can't just download the whole website with HTTrack for example? I tried to do this, and hidden jpg files wasn't downloaded (HTTrack default settings)! Something wrong with that...

9Ndu3S4m.jpg

upd: nevermind. found an answer here

http://gtaforums.com/topic/745716-grand-theft-auto-iii-pre-release-discussion/?p=1067433125

upd2:

but Rockstar sites are "protected" by robots.txt file :/

Nothing changed, It does not work anyway.

TMVzLiFt.jpg

http://archive.org/about/exclude.php

Edited by SILENT_Pavel

thehambone

I had to stop it, unfortunately. I'm going to be making some changes to it, namely adding the ability to start searching from any letter combination. I also want to make it multithreaded to improve performance.

Woo! 500th post!

Edited by thehambone

Sergiu

I guess that our last resort is emailing Rockstar.

There are chances that they'll just remove the unused JPGs but that's a risk we must afford to take.

Gamerjman19

There are chances that they'll just remove the unused JPGs but that's a risk we must afford to take.

I hope they don't be Cockstar about it.

Vadim M.

My theory is simple. We know for a fact that the alpha Rocket was fully based on a Testarossa.

We also know that the front was a lot different based on the Gouranga screenshots (but we weren't able to remake it fully - just a guess). Based on the car's body and blocky shape of the front - I'd say it's an older render of the Rocket.

The only problem is what the code name could possibly be OR if it wasn't replaced by the later render.

After reviewing these renders again I would say that I agree with this theory.

First of all, these renders have NY license plates, while Esperanto and Rocket don't. Both of these cars have a permit on a windshield, while others don't. And these shadows, they are different.

Polish, I guess, CD had wireframed renders of these cars. As a result, the render of Capital Autos Rocket is much newer. Sadly, I know nothing about Esperanto.

bUDGigL.jpgGAP1zde.jpg

Edited by Vadim M.

Jacek_K

but Rockstar sites are "protected" by robots.txt file :/

Nothing changed, It does not work anyway.
TMVzLiFt.jpg
http://archive.org/about/exclude.php

A little info. in */index.html you will find only the official photos. The rare photos are stored in http://www.rockstargames.com/grandtheftauto3/flash/capitalAutos/large/*which access is locked. Thats why HTTrack can't download it.

However the links are accessible so the only method besides hacking is forced browsing. That's also considered as some kind of hack but we must only change the link name and find the good one.

I still wouldn't do it. It's awesome how many cars people guessed already!! I don't know if there are many left. Maybe we should try again together?

I believe we can still find beta Line Runner ( many possible names for that) and maybe another sportcar.

RM76

I hope they don't be Cockstar about it.

They will. They'll close down the Capital Autos site then send you automated garbage about GTA Online and cash cards.

PhillBellic

I had to stop it, unfortunately. I'm going to be making some changes to it, namely adding the ability to start searching from any letter combination. I also want to make it multithreaded to improve performance.

Woo! 500th post!

Okay, thank you for the update. I hope your changes get us results much sooner. :)

Jacek_K

Maybe we should try this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dictionary_attack

Dictionary attack would work for all names involving real words (example fireTruck). And most of the files are named like that (until the name is invented by Rockstar)

thehambone

Maybe we should try this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dictionary_attack

Dictionary attack would work for all names involving real words (example fireTruck). And most of the files are named like that (until the name is invented by Rockstar)

Yes, I was considering a dictionary attack. I'm just not sure how I'd implement it since I've never done anything like that before. Time to do some research! Edited by thehambone

Ghost Bear

Do you guys remember a story of Rockstar web designer at the time of GTA 3 who left the studio before I think San Andreas? I think he might be the one who did these sites and worked directly with alpha-beta renders. Maybe we can contact him and he can give us some clues or maybe he even has backups of these sties?

Sergiu

That's a good idea, Ghost Bear.
Heck, maybe we'll even get some extra alpha/beta gameplay shots if he's down with it.

Ghost Bear

That's a good idea, Ghost Bear.

Heck, maybe we'll even get some extra alpha/beta gameplay shots if he's down with it.

Do you still remember him or his blog? I was last seeing it like 5 years ago and my googling attempts failed so far.

Edit: Nevermind, finally found it again, don't want to post it publicly so people wouldn't be hasty about this, its a very delicate matter. If whoever is going to do the email doesn't remember his site\his name, I can remind them in PM.

Edited by Ghost Bear

Sergiu

We should attempt looking for Mike Dailly as well. He's been pretty open about prototypes and has worked at DMA till '99.
Maybe he has development information regarding GTA3.

Ghost Bear

We should attempt looking for Mike Dailly as well. He's been pretty open about prototypes and has worked at DMA till '99.

Maybe he has development information regarding GTA3.

If I remember correctly he once said that he wasn't affiliated with GTA3 what so ever. Still might be worth a try though, maybe if you explain him the story with renders found after 15 years he could direct us to somebody who can help us.

Sergiu

True, he might know some key people. That was my point.

Jacek_K

Can these people share any beta screenshots without permission from R*?

Edited by Jacek_K

universetwisters

Of course. It's not like they're gonna care. Their heads are so far up their own asses they don't care about anything unless it's cash cards or riceburners.

ClaudX

What are they going to do? Fire them?