1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Grand Theft Auto III Pre-Release Discussion

GTAKid667

unopescio
1 hour ago, Jinx. said:

It was first shown in GTASV's design video almost a month ago IIRC. The guy on deviantart remade it to be in the same style as the other artworks.

They don't even explain where it came from other than its "never before seen artwork". Not to play the sceptic but Its kind of weird. The art style does look spot on but where did it come from? The GDD is printed in black and white

3 hours ago, unopescio said:

They don't even explain where it came from other than its "never before seen artwork". Not to play the sceptic but Its kind of weird. The art style does look spot on but where did it come from? The GDD is printed in black and white

I have no clue, but it's legit, according to quote below:

On 10/9/2021 at 4:05 AM, Ash_735 said:

Stephen Bliss confirmed that the Major character was one of the first few characters he drew in GTA3's "final" art style, it'll be interesting to see if he does an anniversary upload too.

Edited by Jinx.
  • Like 2

Komosexual

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but, again; I feel the need to point out the fact that the design document will never shared in its entirely is a still a slap in the face to the community who have been sifting through old web-pages, magazines and press material for well-over a decade now to try and paint a more cohesive picture of what one of our favourite game's development was like. However, what I think is more important is the preservation of video game history aspect.

We waited years after that auction ended, only to have it be condensed into a two-hour video exclusively for one YouTube channel. While yes, the video was well-produced, crammed in heaps of information and no doubt took a long time to produce, the issue still stands that this is the only source. 

From a preservation standpoint, let's put things into perspective. The document is merely paper. Paper degrades, paper can easily be destroyed (water, fire, literally just exposure to oxygen). With the knowledge that particular pages have been scanned (as per the GTASeries video), we know that a partial, or a full-copy does exist. The problem is, hard-drives fail. CDs fail, tapes fail, passwords get forgotten, and sometimes things just get lost. Any media is prone to failure and there is a genuine risk that this document could be lost to time, and I don't think anyone in this thread would want that to happen.

Simply put, we cannot rely on a single video, hosted on a single media-sharing platform, by a single content-creator to be a secure method of preserving video game history. (Not to mention, you cannot cover a massive document like that in just a two hour video. Things would have been missed, that cannot be denied, and as someone who's just as obsessive about understanding and discovering information regarding beta / alpha builds of GTA titles as anyone else here, it kinda stings.)

Of course, I do understand that a private transaction is a private transaction. There's no obligation on the buyer's end to share the document whatsoever, but to those in posession of the scanned document, or even the physical document, please consider the points I raised.

That's all, I guess. I don't mean to offend anyone, I just feel disappointed by how the situation was handled.

Edited by Komosexual
Tone

Americana

Maybe somebody once told them not to share it?

Edited by Americana

Martin4004
9 hours ago, Americana said:

Maybe somebody once told them not to share it?

Yeah, Rockstar. Imo 90% of the doc was shown in their video, while 10% still remains a mystery..

universetwisters
1 hour ago, Martin4004 said:

Yeah, Rockstar. Imo 90% of the doc was shown in their video, while 10% still remains a mystery..

I really wanna see that 10 percent but then again, with the rest of the doc, the chase is much better than the catch 

• 2 weeks later...
Leon Luther

DE left the notused text for SA.

What about 3 or VC though?

YufflesGaming
6 hours ago, Stahli said:

@YufflesGaming is this your youtube Channel? Would you like to share the Press Kits as pdf documents? 

Edit: I see, it's the Channel from @MrAnderson247

This channel is not mine

BlueyDanger

In gta 3 their was a cut feature where in if you were to commit a crime let's say you killed a ped near another ped that other ped would go to the nearest payphone and call 911 you can still make this feature in game work via mods

On 1/19/2021 at 7:42 AM, H-G said:

- According to the early revisions of the subtitles for the opening cutscene of "Marked Man", Ray was supposed to use the "f*ck" word three times in the cutscene, meaning III once included SA's level of strong language. Well, Ray is voiced by Robert Loggia, after all...

For anyone wondering what the subs are...(thanks archive.org for the .ipa of 3)

Spoiler

PRINT_NOW RM6_B 4000 1 //"This is it, I'm in way over my f*cking head and I'm starting to f*cking drown here!" WHILE cs_time < 8597 WAIT 0 GET_CUTSCENE_TIME cs_time ENDWHILE PRINT_NOW RM6_C 4000 1 //"The CIA seem to have a vested interest in SPANK" WHILE cs_time < 11482 WAIT 0 GET_CUTSCENE_TIME cs_time ENDWHILE PRINT_NOW RM6_C1 4000 1 //"and they don't like us f*cking with the Cartel!"

Oh yeah, speaking of f-bombs in .sc files....
from "joey4.sc"

Spoiler

IF NOT IS_CAR_HEALTH_GREATER tonis_ride 900 AND Toni_abuse1_done_before = 0 PRINT_NOW ( JM4_6 ) 5000 1 //"Watch the f*ckin CAR!" PLAY_MISSION_AUDIO Toni_abuse1_done_before = 1

On 11/4/2021 at 1:13 PM, Komosexual said:

Simply put, we cannot rely on a single video, hosted on a single media-sharing platform, by a single content-creator to be a secure method of preserving video game history. (Not to mention, you cannot cover a massive document like that in just a two hour video. Things would have been missed, that cannot be denied, and as someone who's just as obsessive about understanding and discovering information regarding beta / alpha builds of GTA titles as anyone else here, it kinda stings.)

I surely hope that one day someone will share the scanned documents.

Would love to see some HQ scans of that article.

Advance must have started conceptualisation at around this point in III's development, the HUD font and colours are a dead giveaway.

14 hours ago, Helegad said:

Would love to see some HQ scans of that article.

Advance must have started conceptualisation at around this point in III's development, the HUD font and colours are a dead giveaway.

I think you're right. This thread also says that it was reported as far back as May 2001, which fits since those pics are definitely after E3.

62Xx6r2.jpg

Even these early screenshots had the same hud colors.

• Like 2