2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

GTAKid667

Grand Theft Auto III Pre-Release Discussion

universetwisters

Trivialass sh*t but looks like Donald Love didn't wear a coat, just a white shirt with a tie.

gta3_love02_1024x768.jpg

Jinx.

The head also looks different. Atleast model wise. Also ironic enough, his body texture has a white version of Catalina/Miguel/BETA Claude's jacket, only the rear part however.

tetleyTA

vehicles.dff from the mobile port of GTA 3 (models/generic) is basically the BETA Cabbie. It doesn't have a steering wheel and it also has _lo versions of the models inside it, much like the Buggy.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

It uses the following textures:

170619_j2Y.png

The engine can be found in joeys.txd and carundera64 can be found in many cars. cabbie256, however, is missing, along crackedglass128 and scratch128 (which I belive they are used by other cars but under different names). Actually, renaming the original cabbie8bit128 texture to cabbie256 will display the textures correctly... somewhat.

Note that it won't work by simply renaming the car from "vehicles.dff" from "cabbie.dff". You have to either reexport the car in 3ds max or use The Hero's convdff.exe. Now here are the results ingame:

bAoIJFf.png

YS6RppG.png

(hud by xinerki)

As you can see, the rear lights are wrongly mapped and it doesn't have bodymaps, but otherwise the car looks identical to the final version. However, the reflections and windows are a mess. Probably because of the conversion to mobile format.

This makes me think R* actually has a BETA build somewhere in their database. Much like the BETA Triads were once featured in the very same mobile version before.

EDIT: If anybody wants to look at this car ingame, I'll just leave this link. I remade cabbie256 by using a combination between leftover textures, Manhunt textures and XBOX GTA 3 textures and original cabbie8bit128. Apparently resizing the texture to 256x256 also fixed the chessboard lines on the rear doors aswell. Model was untouched, other than converting it to PC.

https://mega.nz/#!a45zHDjD!4oGYN7twEBtxHk3vkej9nIINgImai8SULYtoS53MXic

EDIT 2: A couple more details to add about the car:

-The window near the boot is damageable (wing_lb in hierarchy)

-Has no exhaust and no dummy exhaust

-It's actually smaller than the stock Cabbie. That's why Claude's head sometimes sticks out of the rooftop

So, vehicles.dff found in mobile version contains just a cabbie? Weird, considering the size of this file.

The Hero

No, it has more. It's indeed embarrassing that it took so long for someone to notice X(

tetleyTA

No, it has more. It's indeed embarrassing that it took so long for someone to notice X(

I saw MattJ155 posting few updates on his YT channel, stating that some people actually managed to extract and bring back beta models. Specifically Rocket and Beamer. Making me wonder how can one do it.

I have a feeling that R* is just fooking with us, putting this kind of file, containing beta models, 10 years after initial release of the game, and then it takes another 6-7 years to discover it.

Wondering what else are they gonna place in the future. Perhaps there is something similiar in GTA:SA mobile version?

Edited by tetleyTA

B_Smiles

These are images of beta cars I found in the Capital Auto Sales Site

*yawn* Already known.

B1n0ryD3v

These are images of beta cars I found in the Capital Auto Sales Site

*yawn* Already known.

Yeah, I know, I just got bored...

Jinx.

I just noticed something.

398578853_6fcc211234_z.jpg

k8smrQB.jpg

Looks like "Don't SPANK Ma Bitch Up" had a different name in a past GameOn event.

EDIT: I think it's been known for a while. Whoops, my bad! Nonetheless, it's weird that it's been changed just for one event.

Edited by Jinx.

The Hero

Learned something the other day:

The strange reflections you can see in these screenshots

gta3_156.jpg

gta3_133.jpg

Are basically still in the game. Now they do use a different reflection map, perhaps the one we see in this video:

Anyway, what happens there is that the environment map is filtered with nearest/point filtering and not linear.

The reason I think this happens is that the PS2 MatFX pipeline (at least in RW 3.1) uses the same filtering as the diffuse map.

And why is the diffuse texture nearest filtered? Because the cars did not use body textures at that time, which causes the game to assign single coloured carcol textures, which use the default filtering, nearest. Why they do this I don't know, perhaps they preferred how the reflection map isn't modulated by the material colour this way. Ironically this is exactly what SkyGFX fixes...

The only vehicle that I know of that you can observe this behaviour on in the final game is the ghost boat:

B_Smiles
Posted (edited)

Sorry to bump with possible pointlessness, but I wanted to share this after finding it at last.

As you've probably seen in the BradyGames guide, there's this sad, partial shot of a sculpture that must have been cut very early during development.

SP27969.png

but, did you know there's a very rare shot of it from another angle?

Source: pg. 51, PowerStation Magazine Issue 69 (hee) - 02/02/2002

I used to have this magazine, but I sadly lost it. This also appears to be the only known scanned copy I could find on the interwebs

SP27970.png

I actually wonder what happened with this unique object, and since these are now the only two known images of it ever appearing, why was it cut from the game so quickly?

Does anybody here own a physical copy of this magazine?

EDIT

after some research on the sculpture, its modeled on the original face of the Statue of LIberty; which used to be on exhibit in NY [woaah]

so this makes it pre 9/11 art, and was probably why it was cut so fast.

Edited by B_Smiles

Mr. Jago
Posted (edited)

Holy sh*t that's creepy. The second screen has the final PS2 HUD so it must've been removed at the very last second, maybe even as some kind of 9/11 or performance-related change.

Edited by Mr. Jago

gts.

Interesting find indeed. Some recreation would be good. :p

Razor_BladePL

Damn thats a nice find, really creppy. Wonder why they cut it.

Helegad

It may have influenced the carpark top floor USJ, in that you seem to need to clear the statue to get the credit.

SpriteFan274

It may have influenced the carpark top floor USJ, in that you seem to need to clear the statue to get the credit.

Wrong.

Doing the Newport Car Park Unique Stunt Jump would never result in hitting the Area where the Beta Statue should've been. Unless you try to do it intentionally, you'd always hit the Grass/Bushes or the Road.

Masny

I think they removed this staute because its just ugly looking. And potentially because of scene polycount (optimisation reasons)

Vadim M.
Posted (edited)

Sorry to bump with possible pointlessness, but I wanted to share this after finding it at last.

As you've probably seen in the BradyGames guide, there's this sad, partial shot of a sculpture that must have been cut very early during development.

SP27969.png

but, did you know there's a very rare shot of it from another angle?

Source: pg. 51, PowerStation Magazine Issue 69 (hee) - 02/02/2002

SP27970.png

I actually wonder what happened with this unique object, and since these are the only two known images of it ever appearing, why was it cut from the game so quickly?

Does anybody here own a physical copy of this magazine?

Nice find! Some last minute cut map objects are still in the game files and I wonder if it is still there.

On the other hand, if it was the case people would find it a long time ago.

Edited by Vadim M.

B_Smiles
Posted (edited)

Nice find! Some last minute cut map objects are still in the game files and I wonder if it is still there.

On the other hand, if it was the case people would find it a long time ago.

You know when a thread is this good Vadim M joins in

Thanks! Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to exist in the files, LOD or anywhere else.

I've also discovered some other cut map objects within the game files

early Rothwell station, can be seen in this screenshot from GTA3's website

(rail_platform.dff / railway.txd)

snap_1526650549.png

snap_1526650578.png

radar dome (listeningposts.dff / airportbits.txd) location can be found in the bradygames strategy guide

snap_1526652037.png

plnt_chimgrad - unused smoke stacks for Liberty Pharmaceuticals building - originally seen here, but never made the cut :(

snap_1526652788.png

There's loads of other things that didn't make the final game, but since I really don't want to clog up this fine thread - I've put together a list of leftovers (remade)

Edited by B_Smiles

Helegad

There's loads of other things that didn't make the final game, but since I really don't want to clog up this fine thread - I've put together a list of leftovers (remade)

Just FYI for next time: https://pastebin.com/

HOW'S ANNIE?

I went back and re-read the old Q&A Rockstar did for GTA III's 10th anniversary. Something about Darkel really stuck out to me:

He started with 5 missions and they were slowly all cut. When only one or 2 were left, they were all removed as the character just didnt work alongside the other characters.

Now we know they didn't well and truly remove I Scream, You Scream. Instead they changed it to a mission for El Buro. And the mission right after it is Trial By Fire, which strangely enough plays out very similar to how Darkel's missions were supposed to.

Is it possible that Trial By Fire was originally a Darkel mission as well? Which, considering it leaves him with only two more missions, could even imply that El Buro's mission strand was added pretty late as a means to make up for the missing missions. All speculation on my part obviously.

spaceeinstein

It's possible Trial by Fire was a Darkel mission. Internally, rampages are categorized under a special class called CDarkel.

Hmmm nice bike
Posted (edited)

Given the content of the mission Trial By Fire, it definitely wouldn't surprise me if it was originally a Darkel mission. I kind of wish Rockstar wouldn't have been so vague when describing these missions. There's absolutely no reason for them to not tell us what his missions involved or what was kept in the game and retooled. Same when they mentioned cut content from the radio stations due to 9/11. All they said was that without going into any sort of detail, and it's really annoying.

If El Burro's mission strand was indeed a late addition, that would also possibly indicate why he's the only character from a previous GTA to make it into the game (albiet, in an unseen role where he's on the phone only). If he was truly added late as a way to replace the Darkel missions and use some of the content from that, they probably decided to just lift a character name and image (for his artwork) from an older title instead of coming up with a new guy.

Edited by Hmmm nice bike

Jimmy
3 hours ago, spaceeinstein said:

It's possible Trial by Fire was a Darkel mission. Internally, rampages are categorized under a special class called CDarkel.

That's highly possible and given the reason above, it's a simple reason why Trial by Fire was handed to El Burro as a last minute change or that El Burro's missions were a last minute addition. We all know that 9/11 attacks had some impacts and it's arguable that this mission shift was one of them, post Darkel's removal.

spaceeinstein
Posted (edited)

I doubt 9/11 affected anything related to Darkel. I don't remember exactly where (probably on the old Gouranga website, before R*'s Q&A) but I remember Darkel being dropped before 9/11.

Edited by spaceeinstein

Hmmm nice bike
Posted (edited)

Yeah, Darkel was cut before 9/11, but I guess since his missions basically involved terrorism, a lot of people assumed that the attacks were the reason he was cut. I know that one of the changes made that was likely due to 9/11 was the airplanes having their collision removed as well as the ability to completely destroy them. A video by the YouTuber Vadim M. goes into further detail about this and starts off by including footage that showed this happening in a pre-9/11 German trailer for the game.

Basically, he explains how the coding worked in damaging the NPC aircraft, and how the passenger jet's coding appeared to be changed to remove the ability to destroy it. However, you can still go back into the files and reenable this, which he demonstrates. Given how quick of a fix this likely was, 9/11 was more than likely the reason why being able to blow up big planes was removed in favor of the planes that you can go right through.

Edited by Hmmm nice bike

GTA_CAT

Did they also cut Dodo's wings? I wonder out if there's any file in the game or anything else to see if the Dodo was intended to be flyable or they removed the feature for the same reason.

Razor_BladePL

No, these are fake info, the Darkel, cut after 9/11 along with the dodo wings fake.

spaceeinstein
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, GTA_CAT said:

Did they also cut Dodo's wings? I wonder out if there's any file in the game or anything else to see if the Dodo was intended to be flyable or they removed the feature for the same reason.

The Dodo was not intended to be flyable or even be as flyable as it is now. The clearest evidence for this is that most buildings don't even have roofs. R* must had been floored when people figured out how to fly the Dodo.

Edit: Messed up my reply to Hmmm nice bike and lost my previous edit so I'm reworking this from memory >_<

The fix wasn't really quick before its discovery. After it's discovered, the fix was "simple" but that can be said to a lot of stuff in the game. The logic is hardcoded in the game so you have to make the change in the the game's executable or memory.

Edited by spaceeinstein