4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Cool Things You Didn't Know About GTA III

Masny

7 hours ago, Jeansowaty said:

Chunky Lee Chong has a unique scream if you kill him.

He also has unique dialogue!

• Like 3
51 minutes ago, thehambone said:

He also has unique dialogue!

I didn't mention that since I thought most people know it :) but indeed he does.

- If you run/walk against elder pedestrians, they will fall down, obviously in reference that they are too weak. I know this because of GTA Wiki.

- At the front door of Uncle BJ's, there's a sign with the picture of a pedestrian's face and the words "#1 employee, Bob". I talked about that in a topic, but I don't know if you read it. Strange thing is, there's actually a character named Bob who appears in Chatterbox FM, but that Bob lives in Shoreside Vale, and Uncle BJ's is located in Staunton Island. Another strange thing about that sign is that it can't be seen during the cutscene that takes place in the business during mission Shima. God knows why. Here's the picture (taken from GTA Underground):

bob.jpg

Not sure if it's already been mentioned and I'm sure some of the modders already know this, but any of the roads/buildings that seemingly have a reflection (such as some of the Staunton streets or the big building next to Staunton's Police Station) are actually flipped upside down and placed underneath the map to give the illusion of reflection - the same technique was used for the Moist Palms hotel in Vice City.

Edited by Blaze
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Blaze said:

Not sure if it's already been mentioned and I'm sure some of the modders already know this, but any of the roads/buildings that seemingly have a reflection (such as some of the Staunton streets or the big building next to Staunton's Police Station) are actually flipped upside down and placed underneath the map to give the illusion of reflection - the same technique was used for the Moist Palms hotel in Vice City.

This is one of the techniques which some of the modders in early 2010s used in 2dfx mods and post rain reflections (upside down). Wasn't aware of the Moist Palms in Vice City though. I remember doing this trick myself to make reflections for the Portland hideout and some other areas in Portland (Hepburn).

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

This is one of the techniques which some of the modders in early 2010s used in 2dfx mods and post rain reflections (upside down). Wasn't aware of the Moist Palms in Vice City though. I remember doing this trick myself to make reflections for the Portland hideout and some other areas in Portland (Hepburn).

4IPP6zy.png

xKlQeya.png

16 hours ago, Blaze said:

Yeah, a nice trick for a 2001 and 2002 game. And the illusion is pretty good though haha.

• Like 2
On 6/7/2020 at 2:39 AM, Motorik said:

- At the front door of Uncle BJ's, there's a sign with the picture of a pedestrian's face and the words "#1 employee, Bob". I talked about that in a topic, but I don't know if you read it. Strange thing is, there's actually a character named Bob who appears in Chatterbox FM, but that Bob lives in Shoreside Vale, and Uncle BJ's is located in Staunton Island. Another strange thing about that sign is that it can't be seen during the cutscene that takes place in the business during mission Shima. God knows why. Here's the picture (taken from GTA Underground):

bob.jpg

I very vaguely remember reading that this was one of the developers

- The Columbian Cartel member's boots have no soles, but the skin of Playa2.

- There are boats inside the big ship in Portland (not the one that you have to destroy in Bomb da Base, but the other one). They can only be seen with mods. I know it because of a video of secrets behind the cameras in GTA 3.

• 9 months later...

Sorry for double posting, but I found a new detail I didn't know and that I find really cool. In Belleville Park you'll see only elder and young pedestrians walking around during the day. However, during the night (from 19:00 until the morning) you'll find homeless pedestrians, thieves and prostitutes. In my opinion, this is one of the best details in the game. It makes it feel more alive. It makes nighttime and daytime to feel different. I know it thanks to a video, but I checked it personally, and it's true.

• 2 months later...

There is a secret in GTA III you may know or not know, but I found it out myself. Until now, you may think Diablos are the most weakest gang in gta iii because they lack in firearms while in free roam (aside from missions). But you're wrong because they DO have handguns which they only use in desperate times. If you don't believe me, try doing these:
Punch a non armed Diablo member (a diablo guy without baseball bat) and make him hostile to you. Make sure he follows you to attack. Run and climb or jump to an area which is elevated from the ground and is not reachable without a jump (for example, jump on top of a car). When you do this, they won't be able to reach you, so they will pull out their handgun and start shooting at you.

10 hours ago, Meekhail said:

There is a secret in GTA III you may know or not know, but I found it out myself. Until now, you may think Diablos are the most weakest gang in gta iii because they lack in firearms while in free roam (aside from missions). But you're wrong because they DO have handguns which they only use in desperate times. If you don't believe me, try doing these:
Punch a non armed Diablo member (a diablo guy without baseball bat) and make him hostile to you. Make sure he follows you to attack. Run and climb or jump to an area which is elevated from the ground and is not reachable without a jump (for example, jump on top of a car). When you do this, they won't be able to reach you, so they will pull out their handgun and start shooting at you.

I remember finding out about this years ago when I was randomly fooling around with the rampage involving the Diablos in Red Light District. I got on top of a car and the Diablos that approached the car, seeing that there was no way they would attack me otherwise, decided to pull out their pistols.