2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

*DO NOT* SHARE MEDIA OR LINKS TO LEAKED COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Discussion is allowed.

How Do I Get Good At MK9

Judicious 7

Okay, if there has been an old topic created about this, please link me to it. I have searched in this particular forum for "Mortal Kombat", but I haven't come across any particular threads about it.

All I just wanted to ask is, how exactly do I get good at it? I've recently seen tournaments featuring some really good fighters, but I just want to be decent. Right now, I'm playing on Easy and testing a few characters out, but this game is tough.

Does anyone have any tips on how to start out and be comfortable with this game? I don't want to sell it again out of frustration. I'm hoping to stick with it. I just want some advice.

N7Operative84

I can remember, when I first got MK(2011). I spent plenty of time in practice mode. Focus on one character at a time. All of the characters have mini combos. Learn at least three mini combos and string them together. Between any combo you can use a special move, to prolong the chain.

Making good use of pop up combos. Pop up combos are combos that launch opponents in the air, so you can do another combo. After they are in the air you can either do another mini combo or do a special move. Keep in mind that , you can only do two pop up combos in a row. If you do the same or other pop up combo in a row, your opponent will hit the ground.

Practice mode > learning character combos > special moves

Edited by N7Operative84

Trial and error.

IMO you don't need to master huge combos since online lag will occasionally screw you over (talking PS3 here). It's best to master short yet effective combos and learn to chain them with juggling.

Also, don't do the same moves over and over again. A reasonably skilled player will learn your tactics easily and adapt to situation.

Also, play with every character and see what suits your style best.

Personally I'm a huge Skarlet nut.

• Like 1

Yes to both of you. I used to have this game last year but I sold it due to frustration. I would look at countless videos online and see guys playing on Expert. I think that was my problem. I would look at expert playthroughs and set those as a goal for myself.

Earlier today, I played the ladder with Sindel on Easy. I got up to Shang Tsung and I had a lot of fun learning the movements and how the combo system works. I even learned how to predict certain characters' attacks. I think also I need to be patient and like what you said Xyn,trial and error.

LOL BUTTON MASH AHAHA

My advice is just give up. I tried hard to win a fight online but couldnt and cant be arsed to spend weeks practising combos. I gave up. You should give up

• 2 weeks later...
dingodile_r89

Learn fundamentals.

Spacing. Pokes. Frame data.

Learn the specials and mix ups of all characters, so that you know what to block and whether to block high or low.

MK 9 has a big learning curve. Characters like Cage and Sonya have ridiculous pressure. Raiden has a ridiculous tele. Cyrax can kill you with 1 bar of meter.

Learn the MUs. Kenshi vs Jade is something like 9-1 or 10-0 in favour of Kenshi.

Learn dash cancels.

Jumping in to an opponent is suicide. A good player will destroy you if you jump in when he's not hit stunned.

Learn your characters bread&butter combos. Learn setups.

I could go on and on. It takes a lot to become good at MK 9. Most very good fighting game players have extensive frame data knowledge. It almost becomes mathematical for them. Hence the incredible reactions you see, sometimes.

Who do you main?

Adding more: A lot of characters gain armour when you enhance special moves. Use it to your advantage.

Learn to zone effectively. Characters like Sub Zero and Reptile don't have a teleport, so you can keep them away a lot with someone like Sektor.

Never ever sit on 3 full bars of meter. You're better off using one bar & saving 2 bars for a breaker. Use your X-ray only if it's guaranteed round win.

Learn to build meter. Characters with an air grab can jump backwards and grapple at the last second. Even though it whiffs, you'll get the meter and there's almost no recovery frames if timed right.

Learn to punish enemy whiffs.

Do not use AI as a benchmark. AI sucks. Find a player who owns your ass and practice with him/her. You'll learn a lot from them.

Edited by dingodile_r89

Learn fundamentals.

Spacing. Pokes. Frame data.

Learn the specials and mix ups of all characters, so that you know what to block and whether to block high or low.

MK 9 has a big learning curve. Characters like Cage and Sonya have ridiculous pressure. Raiden has a ridiculous tele. Cyrax can kill you with 1 bar of meter.

Learn the MUs. Kenshi vs Jade is something like 9-1 or 10-0 in favour of Kenshi.

Learn dash cancels.

Jumping in to an opponent is suicide. A good player will destroy you if you jump in when he's not hit stunned.

Learn your characters bread&butter combos. Learn setups.

I could go on and on. It takes a lot to become good at MK 9. Most very good fighting game players have extensive frame data knowledge. It almost becomes mathematical for them. Hence the incredible reactions you see, sometimes.

Who do you main?

Adding more: A lot of characters gain armour when you enhance special moves. Use it to your advantage.

Learn to zone effectively. Characters like Sub Zero and Reptile don't have a teleport, so you can keep them away a lot with someone like Sektor.

Never ever sit on 3 full bars of meter. You're better off using one bar & saving 2 bars for a breaker. Use your X-ray only if it's guaranteed round win.

Learn to build meter. Characters with an air grab can jump backwards and grapple at the last second. Even though it whiffs, you'll get the meter and there's almost no recovery frames if timed right.

Learn to punish enemy whiffs.

Do not use AI as a benchmark. AI sucks. Find a player who owns your ass and practice with him/her. You'll learn a lot from them.

Ah! So many technical phrases and things I never heard of! Well, I will strongly take everything you said into account. I kinda know what you're talking about though.

I've noticed that some characters teleport and have ridiculous damage. Then again, there are sleeper characters that are less used but can handle well in kombat.

Who do I main? Well, Sindel. Second, Rain. I'm trying to get used to them both.

dingodile_r89

Sindel is trash, sadly. Rain is up there. Look for CD jr's Rain.

www.testyourmight.com is a great resource for all things MK :)