3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Mr. Love

Beta Vice City

GTAKid667

I had a quick look through a few other pages of the guide, and on Page 107 there is this slightly larger image of the icon. It seems to be a pink Paint Brush:

R9kovLv.jpg

On the opposite page, 106, there is this icon on the guide's map. All of the icons on these maps seem to be recreations, and not the actual icon as it would have appeared in game, but it would confirm that the icon is indeed a pink Paint Brush:

3cZSgy8.png

JohnsonHu

Damn what an amazing find also does the surrounding area seems different? 

do you have the official guide cuz i have never seen this picture any where else before can you share more of these?

1 hour ago, xNCx said:

Oh, so it's a pay n spray! Right. This icon definitely changed, but what was the original one, hard to figure out.

The pistol icon seems to be put on an angle.

Yeah they seemed cool for the game and really fitting aswell there is removed vegetations infront of the blue building on the left side

Edited by JohnsonHu

Kalvin

Yeah, it was a paintbrush. The strategy guide thankfully redrew it in higher res for people. You can find quite a lot inside the guide!

A quite surprising find is that Stage C wasn't originally empty as it is in the final game, it actually featured the bathroom from GTA3!:

lV0qbto.png

I'll probably post a list of the fair amount of differences in the guide for people to see later. :)

Edited by Kalvin

Kalvin

Right. Here's the list, in no particular order whatsoever:

Location, actor & pickup marker colours were different, purple for location, green for actor, aqua for pickup:

5G0znKF.png

1QhCvKM.png

0k7qp3n.png

Top Fun had a different logo, as well as the film studio having a different icon:

p9L5nm5.png

There was a cutscene for the bridges being open after Phnom Penh '86 (this info box still exists in the GXT), the Prawn Island paths were also light grey instead of pink:

FaeplsJ.png

The vertex colouring in the Love Fist Recording Studio was fairly different, with a few different textures here and there:

zOWMQaV.png

Rampage text colours (kill count, timer) were closer to ones from GTA3:

Md8GdeO.png

Cubans icon was different (white background):

Kqlcldk.png

Lance had grey rolled up sleeves instead of purple:

aGio724.png

The Car Showroom interior had sjmhot7 as its wall texture (the "mission" name was also the purchased text):

DxYJntu.png

The Driver had blue race markers (property icons also appeared, both in and out of missions):

XsTxCfF.png

The icons had gradients, with the Ruger & M4 having pink backgrounds instead of orange:

byhpD59.png

The whole of the old Malibu Club vertex lighting is seen, with blue markers as well as an unseen before female pedestrian:

TkWWIY8.png

There's *plenty* more finds in the guide, but these are the fairly interesting ones, of course a few of these can be spotted in pre-release screenshots as well.

*You may or may not see all of these appear in VCB3 😉.

Edited by Kalvin
Added more info.

JohnsonHu

😮😮😮 cool.but is there any more pictures with more major changes rather than just colors? but it is still interesting nonetheless also ithink that that the top funvan had a diffirent front bumber it seems abit too shiny and white instead of the grey/black bumber.also is there a possible way to share the guide in a pdf form so people can analayze it themselves?

Edited by JohnsonHu

lowpolygangster
On 3/21/2018 at 7:21 PM, ALMOST610 said:

Beta Pheonix close up rear shot.

pheonix-rearshot2.png

IMG_20180610_140053052.jpg[/img]

lowpolygangster

Probably the latest beta version of VCPD before moving to green

WO6Eq96.png 

markusizr

it looks like white and grey variant

ROCKSTAR MANIC

^ Wow the Different colored gradients on  the different weapons look great. What happened?? I mean the ones the final game have it well too..

markusizr

It might be early build. But who knows

Rburns

This thread needs a bump.

universetwisters
2 hours ago, Rburns said:

This thread needs a bump.

Why bump it if you have nothing to contribute?

blaze

These are some things I myself and other's have reported on over the years but myself and @Hmmm nice bike were discussing beta Vice City things over Discord and I decided to put a little side by side comparison together. I am in no way an authority on the subject of alpha releases and I'm not claiming these to be true authentic beta's but I have my reasoning for how/why they could be.

The Freeway seen hanging in the rear of the biker bar which when you apply those textures to the stock Freeway is a dead ringer to the pre release screenshot. The two main differences are obviously the body/paintwork and the metal of the bike being much shinier. It also has the GTA3 LC licence plate as opposed to the generic Florida plates. Another slight fun fact to note is that these textures are referred to as harl1/2/3 respectively in bb_barroom.txd.

Ci9uRwE.jpg

Secondly, the Speeder - I believe this could be a one off for Cortez yacht to fit the colour scheme however given how early on Cortez's missions are in the game it's safe to say it was probably made early on in development, so was the Speeder adapted to Cortez's yacht or was the yacht Speeder the initial creation and the in game Speeder derived from that given that the body texture map is essentially a desaturated version of Cortez's Speeder? Who knows however the texture files found in "yt_launch.txd" are named speeder1/2/3/4 respectively.

8x8p5FZ.jpg

And last but not least, I found a small little anomaly I guess you could say in the game files which I don't think has been discovered. There's brief references to the "Coastguard Maverick" in the files in I believe handling.cfg and maybe american.gxt? The "Coastguard Maverick" is referred to as COASTMAV in handling.cfg, here is it's handling line compared with the default Maverick.

MAVERICK        5000.0 2.5 8.0 2.5 0.0 0.0 -0.1  75  0.65 0.9  0.5  1 200.0 16.0 4 P 5.0   0.45 0 30.0  5.0  0.15 0.30 0.75 45000 0.50 -0.05 0.5  0.0        8028000        0  1
COASTMAV       3500.0 2.0 5.0 2.5 0.0 0.0 -0.1  75  0.65 0.9  0.5  1 200.0 16.0 4 P 5.0   0.45 0 30.0  5.0  0.1  0.30 0.65 50000 0.50 -0.05 0.5  0.0        8028000        0  1

As you can see there are a few slight differences which from what I can tell would make the Coastguard Maverick slightly easier to handle, however in the default.ide file the VCN Maverick actually pulls it's handling data from the COASTMAV line:

218,     vcnmav,        vcnmav,     car,     COASTMAV,     VCNMAV,            null,    ignore,        10,    7,    0,        256, 0.7

Was the VCN Maverick originally the Coastguard Maverick or was it sheer developer oversight? Who knows, but it's fun to hypothesize 😛

Hmmm nice bike
Posted (edited)

Those are really good finds. Especially regarding the beta Freeway and the Coastguard Maverick. That motorcycle in the bar is definitely lifted from their old version of the bike, right down to the GTA III license plate, indicating that it was made pretty early in development. It's awesome how it can basically be brought back to the game by replacing the current model with the one in the bar.

As for the Coastguard Maverick, I hadn't seen the handling anywhere until you specifically looked for it earlier, and I don't think anyone looked closely at it to compare it to the existing helicopter handling, either. I used to think it would have been something similar to the coast guard heli from VCS, but it looks like it was probably going to be similar to the VCN Maverick after all.

Also, on a different subject regarding the beta, has anyone ever looked as deeply into the cut Gator Keys area as I have? I made this after doing some research.

There are actually a surprising amount of clues in the final game that hint to this area, stuff I didn't even realize until I was going over some of it with @angeldust a few months ago, like the roads that I think the Gator Keys would have connected to.

Whether the area was cut early in development or was someplace they decided to add later on before cutting due to either time constraints or Burt Reynolds constraints is still unknown.

Edited by Hmmm nice bike

Rburns
On 4/3/2019 at 6:14 AM, universetwisters said:

Why bump it if you have nothing to contribute?

'cause I love Vice City?

On 4/9/2019 at 8:35 PM, Hmmm nice bike said:

Those are really good finds. Especially regarding the beta Freeway and the Coastguard Maverick. That motorcycle in the bar is definitely lifted from their old version of the bike, right down to the GTA III license plate, indicating that it was made pretty early in development. It's awesome how it can basically be brought back to the game by replacing the current model with the one in the bar.

As for the Coastguard Maverick, I hadn't seen the handling anywhere until you specifically looked for it earlier, and I don't think anyone looked closely at it to compare it to the existing helicopter handling, either. I used to think it would have been something similar to the coast guard heli from VCS, but it looks like it was probably going to be similar to the VCN Maverick after all.

Also, on a different subject regarding the beta, has anyone ever looked as deeply into the cut Gator Keys area as I have? I made this after doing some research.

There are actually a surprising amount of clues in the final game that hint to this area, stuff I didn't even realize until I was going over some of it with @angeldust a few months ago, like the roads that I think the Gator Keys would have connected to.

Whether the area was cut early in development or was someplace they decided to add later on before cutting due to either time constraints or Burt Reynolds constraints is still unknown.

Im quite "obsesed" about Gator Keys, it would have been amazing if they finaly had added them

vawtg
On 12/14/2014 at 10:19 PM, M0rk said:

vc-23710.jpg

Does anyone knows the location of this pic?

possibly the gator keys ?, on the map its showing off the coast so it might be gator keys 

On 4/10/2019 at 12:05 AM, Hmmm nice bike said:

i have been working on it for almost half a year , there are is even a unused dialogue in the game of avery and his ad of shady acres aka gator keys , i have typed a microsoft document related to it , need any help on gator keys you can ask bro

On 4/12/2019 at 7:00 AM, Rburns said:

'cause I love Vice City?

Im quite "obsesed" about Gator Keys, it would have been amazing if they finaly had added them

ya man , it could have been amazing if the gator keys were there , but there is nothing , we have to create the map of gator keys

vawtg
On 4/10/2019 at 12:05 AM, Hmmm nice bike said:

check a other video where you can see a unknown bridge connecting to gator keys , the videos name is gta vc (ps2) the party, when the camera faces north during the mission you will see a bridge connecting to no where or gator keys , if you dont believe check it 

Hmmm nice bike
6 hours ago, vawtg said:

check a other video where you can see a unknown bridge connecting to gator keys , the videos name is gta vc (ps2) the party, when the camera faces north during the mission you will see a bridge connecting to no where or gator keys , if you dont believe check it 

That's just the bridge to the Leaf Links golf course, the reason it appears to connect to nowhere is because the golf course and Starfish Island never loaded correctly in the cutscene. Most likely, the Gator Keys would have been located south or southwest of the city, especially if they wanted to follow the geography of the Miami area like they already had when they designed the city (meaning it wouldn't make much sense to place them north or east of the map)

vawtg
9 hours ago, Hmmm nice bike said:

That's just the bridge to the Leaf Links golf course, the reason it appears to connect to nowhere is because the golf course and Starfish Island never loaded correctly in the cutscene. Most likely, the Gator Keys would have been located south or southwest of the city, especially if they wanted to follow the geography of the Miami area like they already had when they designed the city (meaning it wouldn't make much sense to place them north or east of the map)

9 hours ago, Hmmm nice bike said:

if you go to the second island ,  there is a road which has been cut off , that might be the road gator keys ? the road is  in the between of airport and the vice port , idk but that might be the road 

blaze

If you actually watch Hmmm nice bike's Gator Keys video you'll see he addresses both the bridge in the cutscene and the road at Vice Port 😛

Kalvin
Posted (edited)

Ripped from comments of the video:

The roads on the radar is actually behind Ken's office, I tracked it down a while back whilst developing VCB:

wqVER47.png

But I have always wondered about the dock road, it's an interesting theory! Aaron Garbut* himself stated that they had talked about doing it and had even "roughed it in" but I suppose they decided against it. There is also a LOD texture named "LODeverglades2" in the files (used on a model in the south west airport LOD) so it certainly got roughed in enough to be partially in the game at a certain point.

I briefly discussed it with Vadim a while back if you're interested in the texture & article: https://twitter.com/KalvinGFX/status/1004100878591299584 Definitely good stuff though! I'd certainly recommend keeping up with the content. :)

Edited by Kalvin
*Mistakenly said it was Dan Houser

Hmmm nice bike
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Kalvin said:

The roads on the radar is actually behind Ken's office, I tracked it down a while back whilst developing VCB: wqVER47.png

But I have always wondered about the dock road, it's an interesting theory! Dan Houser himself stated that they had talked about doing it and had even "roughed it in" but I suppose they decided against it. There is also a LOD texture named "LODeverglades2" in the files (used on a model in the south west airport LOD) so it certainly got roughed in enough to be partially in the game at a certain point.

I briefly discussed it with Vadim a while back if you're interested in the texture & article: https://twitter.com/KalvinGFX/status/1004100878591299584 Definitely good stuff though! I'd certainly recommend keeping up with the content. :)

Holy crap, great find regarding the radar roads! Looks like they just never finished modeling the map for the radar when that screenshot was taken. I guess I'll be making an update about this soon, since I seriously didn't realize that those were the roads by Ken's office 😂 Can I use the texture in the next video? I will credit you.

Also, is it possible that the Everglades in VC as mentioned by Aaron Garbut could still be different to the Gator Keys? The name "Gator Keys" alone implies that this is a chain of islands. If they managed to do a bit of the Everglades before scrapping them, perhaps they were just going to be a slight extension west of the city but connected to the mainland.

Edited by Hmmm nice bike

vawtg
3 hours ago, Hmmm nice bike said:

Holy crap, great find regarding the radar roads! Looks like they just never finished modeling the map for the radar when that screenshot was taken. I guess I'll be making an update about this soon, since I seriously didn't realize that those were the roads by Ken's office 😂 Can I use the texture in the next video? I will credit you.

Also, is it possible that the Everglades in VC as mentioned by Aaron Garbut could still be different to the Gator Keys? The name "Gator Keys" alone implies that this is a chain of islands. If they managed to do a bit of the Everglades before scrapping them, perhaps they were just going to be a slight extension west of the city but connected to the mainland.

i know that kens office was placed in different location , in beta its near the parking lot but in the final version its far away and you are saying you found some textures related to gator keys ?, try to inform vadim , he can make a video about this , can i send microsoft word file , i dont have enough , but i can give enough information from the word document , please . tell vadim to make a video relating to gator keys 

Kalvin
On 4/17/2019 at 12:31 AM, Hmmm nice bike said:

Quite possible! Florida Keys is along the south-west coast so it's plausible, however the Everglades are known for their alligators (though Keys do have their fair share of gators themselves), so their plan could've perhaps been for a merge of both?

Hmmm nice bike
5 hours ago, Kalvin said:

Quite possible! Florida Keys is along the south-west coast so it's plausible, however the Everglades are known for their alligators (though Keys do have their fair share of gators themselves), so their plan could've perhaps been for a merge of both?

This is what I was thinking. Some kind of cross between the Florida Keys and the Everglades is probably what they had in mind, instead of being directly based on one or the other. With all we know now about it, it just makes sense. I just wonder now how big of an area it would have been. Between the beta map and the final map, they clearly felt the need to expand it, but the few expanded bits that we got (the stadium and the rocky area south of the beach with the lighthouse) were relatively small compared to the rest of the map.

Carbonox
Posted (edited)

When it comes to the manual, I know the beta police cars and nonexistent shark attack warnings are common knowledge by now, but what I'd really like to address are some of the other details that I don't think have been discussed before. No, not the fake ads for in-game products, I know those are only there for immersion's sake - I imagine Tommy doesn't have much use for Thor's self-help program or Farewell Ranch anyway - but rather some things that are implied to be actual features.

On page 8, assuming the manuals have the same layout all around the world, we have, aside from said beta police car, a suggestion to never travel with your real ID, a recommendation to invest in insurance, and a chapter on customs, including a warning not to get caught smuggling by the Port Authority. I'm not fluent enough with every little bit of the story to know that these aspects never come up, but I'm pretty sure they indeed don't, unlike the lawyer, who you do get acquainted with as your first thing in the city, just as the manual recommends.

There's also a mention of seaplane tours regularly leaving the docks on page 7 and a picture of Hotring Racers duking it out in a street race on page 13. The latter could just be a promotional image that was never meant to represent the final product, but hey, if it's different from what we got at the end, it warrants a mention no less.

Edited by Carbonox

vawtg
On 4/16/2019 at 5:32 PM, Kalvin said:

The roads on the radar is actually behind Ken's office, I tracked it down a while back whilst developing VCB:

wqVER47.png

But I have always wondered about the dock road, it's an interesting theory! Aaron Garbut* himself stated that they had talked about doing it and had even "roughed it in" but I suppose they decided against it. There is also a LOD texture named "LODeverglades2" in the files (used on a model in the south west airport LOD) so it certainly got roughed in enough to be partially in the game at a certain point.

so the three bridges connecting nowhere was fake , and they were the roads behind kens office nice catch