2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

*DO NOT* SHARE MEDIA OR LINKS TO LEAKED COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Discussion is allowed.

Reactions if Microsoft buys the GTA IP

BLOOD

They bought Gears of War (my 2nd best game franchise) and now Minecraft all in one year for more than $3bn,now let say after 2017 or in the near future,Microsoft proceed to add the Mega-Blockbuster and Iconic GTA franchise to it portfolio for a sum worth $5bn.What will be gamers reaction? will Sony beat them to it after finding out? will Take2 just sell it Crown Jewel?

I want you guys thoughts and reactions :)

Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond

Never gonna happen plus Sony made the GTA franchise what it is today since the PS2 days. GTA helped Sony move a lot of PS2s R* and Take Two are a third party dev so they develop games with what the companies give them.

Edited by Zello

^ And without Xerox, Apple wouldn't exist. It doesn't matter who 'made' the franchise big. all that matters is who is going to dish out the most money for it.

Realistically, I could see Microsoft outbidding Sony for it, if this situation ever came about.

• Like 2

theworldfamous

I'd hate it and expect maybe one more good game out of them before it all goes to sh*t.

I wouldn't care. I have no problems with MS. I would laugh at the fanboys though.

Edited by DarthShinobi

I would simply go back to Xbox and ditch my ps4... it would be a serious blow to sony. But i doubt that would ever happen.

I'd think it was moronic since they're cutting out a large portion of their audience. But by then I'll have a LOT of disposable income so it wouldn't really affect me.

From a business perspective in terms of leverage. It will never happen.

End of story.

Edit: I can assure you that it will never happen.

Microsoft acquires what it can, and a lot of this is based on leverage ratios and the interest they have in acquiring it. In the game industry, acquiring Rockstar Games is like buying the Mona Lisa or the New York Yankees. There's only one, and it commands a hefty price tag. The retail sales alone for GTA V generated about $2 Billion, and that figure was only as of May of 2014. Fast forward today, and they've probably generated anywhere between $2.5 and 3 billion. Also take into consideration that none of this includes sales from GTA Online (kersh kurds). The stated figures are only in terms of how many copies were sold.

Minecraft was acquired for about $1.25 billion, but we don't know what the price tag was on acquiring Gears of War. Gears, however, only did about $1 billion in sales over its lifetime, so it would be reasonable to suggest that its purchase price was above or near these same estimates. Plus, so many other things are likely to be thrown into the mix, and in short, we just don't know what either side of the table is reaping from a deal.

In short, Microsoft can acquire almost anything. It can acquire a startup like Skype, a fledgling mobile company like Nokia, a ragtag group of devs like Mojang, a declining exclusive like Gears of War, or even a tarnished NBA team like the LA Clippers (Based Balmer), but it can't acquire an industry darling like Rockstar. The last one about Balmer didn't really count, but I'm trying to stress a point. Take Two would command an arm and a leg for Rockstar, and let alone even entertaining the idea of selling them would be an act of desperation.

Edited by Crossed Sabres
  • Like 2

From a business perspective in terms of leverage. It will never happen.

End of story.

Edit: I can assure you that it will never happen.

Microsoft acquires what it can, and a lot of this is based on leverage ratios and the interest they have in acquiring it. In the game industry, acquiring Rockstar Games is like buying the Mona Lisa or the New York Yankees. There's only one, and it commands a hefty price tag. The retail sales alone for GTA V generated about $2 Billion, and that figure was only as of May of 2014. Fast forward today, and they've probably generated anywhere between $2.5 and 3 billion. Also take into consideration that none of this includes sales from GTA Online (kersh kurds). The stated figures are only in terms of how many copies were sold.

Minecraft was acquired for about $1.25 billion, but we don't know what the price tag was on acquiring Gears of War. Gears, however, only did about $1 billion in sales over its lifetime, so it would be reasonable to suggest that its purchase price was above or near these same estimates. Plus, so many other things are likely to be thrown into the mix, and in short, we just don't know what either side of the table is reaping from a deal.

In short, Microsoft can acquire almost anything. It can acquire a startup like Skype, a fledgling mobile company like Nokia, a ragtag group of devs like Mojang, a declining exclusive like Gears of War, or even a tarnished NBA team like the LA Clippers (Based Balmer), but it can't acquire an industry darling like Rockstar. The last one about Balmer didn't really count, but I'm trying to stress a point. Take Two would command an arm and a leg for Rockstar, and let alone even entertaining the idea of selling them would be an act of desperation.

You're only 50% of the way on the Mojang thing, it was 2.5 billion.

Microsoft could undoubtedly buy Take Two/Rockstar but it would be for an insane price that they'd likely never make their money back on.

It won't happen. If it did happen it wouldn't be the worst of things though. As much as people like to say Microsoft are the devil, they've always done a good job with their own titles. It's not like they've turned Halo into CoD, the franchise has kept its dignity.

Great to hear you guys reactions,and i guess it wont happen unless,Sony and the Internet will go mental lol.

Note:Competition is the key word in Business/Money,remember when it was rumoured that Google was buying Twitch until Amazon beat them to it,buying Twitch for more than $900ml,so anything can happen but it will be a sad time not just for gamers/fans/Sony but for the future of the GTA franchise becoming an xbox-only IP.

Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond

Basically what Nath22 said. Microsoft could afford to buy the GTA IP but it wouldn't make sense for them to do so. It'd likely take too long for them to get a return on the investment.

With that kind of outlay, it would make more sense to acquire Rockstar Studios itself, getting their portfolio (potentially) alongside it IMO.

• Like 2

Sony would never be able to outbid Microsoft.

I forget what I was reading last year, but it was something along the lines of Daniel Loeb buying a huge chunk of Sony and urging it to split up. He has currently sold his share, but up until about last year, Sony was not able to turn a profit. It's obvious, however, that the recent turnaround has been spurred by the success of the PS4. This means that the PlayStation division has helped keep the electronics division afloat. Although Loeb didn't get what he wanted, he walked away with a 20 percent return on Sony's success.

Sony is just not in a position to be hedging and leveraging large sums of cash at the moment. They're about to book a net loss for the coming year, and they blame this on weak mobile phone sales. The problem is that the electronics division has accumulated a lot of debt, and I agree with Loeb's original plan, to split the electronic and entertainment divisions, and then shift the debt to the more profitable entertainment division. It would free up a lot of cash and attract more investors, but Sony management is dealing with a bit of hubris at the moment. Let's face it, Sony is not what they once were, and I think they're at least beginning to acknowledge that. There's nothing wrong with admitting your mistakes. The PS4 has done very well because they learned from those mistakes and played it conservatively. Corporate should take a cue from their PlayStation division. If I asked you ten years ago, who would be Sony's biggest competitor today, would you have said Samsung? Doubtful.

Were they even looking in their rear view mirrors? .....That's the problem with corporate hubris. Let me add, Microsoft is as equally guilty of this too, it's just that they can afford to f*ck up.

People saying Microsoft could buy Rockstar Games seem to have forgotten when EA attempted the same thing. It's not just a question of money, it's a question of support from both Take-Two and the shareholders. When Take-Two refused EA's offers, they went for the shareholders, offering more than double what the shares were worth; in the end, less than 10% of the shareholders sold out to them. You can make the argument that they'd be more likely to sell to Microsoft than EA because Microsoft doesn't have a history of destroying the franchises it buys out, but even still, shareholders are not stupid. They know there would be less money to make if games like Grand Theft Auto were locked to a single platform rather than multiple platforms. The vast majority of investors care about return profits on their investments more than anything else, and selling out to any single platform - regardless of which - would only guarantee less returns.

Edited by Pat
  • Like 2

Slosten.gif

It probably wouldn't impact sales as much as you'd think. Xbox's would sell like crazy just to play the game.

And on the positive side, you'd probably get a decent PC port out of it.

Watch all the crying ps4 owners

Well, there's also a negative backlash to these sort of things. Sometimes it can do a lot of brand damage. We all remember the public outrage when it was announced that Rise of the Tomb Raider would be a time-exclusive on Xbox. The question is, did that hurt the Tomb Raider brand enough to prevent people from buying it on PS or PC down the road?

We have yet to see...

• Like 2

"Meh."

"Meh."

This x 10

I know I could get hate for agreeing with him, etc. I, myself, do not play Minecraft so much anymore. Maybe MS could improve the game in some way. I dunno. I'm open to new things.

VWSTp.png