2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

*DO NOT* SHARE MEDIA OR LINKS TO LEAKED COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Discussion is allowed.

Search is broken?

StormerBoy

Go to solution Solved by Tank,

I think the search function may be partially broken. I'm getting few to none results when doing my regular searches in the GTA Online forum.

Do you need to rebuild the search index or something?

Commence the typically unhelpful responses:

"Don't like it, leave"

"Works fine for me"

"You're doing it wrong"

"Why use search anyway"

"It's always been that way"

"Don't like it, leave"

"Works fine for me"

"You're doing it wrong"

"Why use search anyway"

Just as a side note, you won't get better help if you keep being condescending.

Also, it'd be helpful to tell us what you are trying to search exactly, and if you have tried messing with the options on Advanced Search.

image.pngut_dog.png   image.png

let your hopes and dreams turn into burning fire!

GTANet | Red Dead Network | kifflom 

black lives matter | stop Asian hate | trans lives = human lives

Don't like it? Leave.

You quoted it wrong.

Don't like it, leave

Try using the advanced search.

May I know what you're trying to search for?

Works fine for me

You're doing it wrong

​No, seriously, you probably are.

Jokes aside, I'm having this issue too. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong, if so please enlighten me.

For example, when I try to search this thread using the Search function, the thread does not appear in the search results.

4Xfwk1W.png

w8OoPiY.png

E: I also tried searching only the term crash and the thread was not listed.

Edited by slohbur

IDknKoL.gif

Slohbur access to staff section while he isn't even staff?

But yes, the search is pretty unreliable here. Often I search for something to find everything else totally unrelated to what I'm searching for.

Edited by Franceska

signature500x-e1644500940546.png

Slohbur access to staff section while he isn't even staff?

Slobhur is part of the GTANet team. :^:

OT: Can you be a bit more specific? What is your search input?

– overeducated wonk who fetishises compromise

Whilst it's true that a lot of members don't know how to search properly, there is definitely something wrong.

So I search for simply Harley across the entire board, show as posts, everything else default. I get only 9 results - all from last year. I'm not exactly the talk of the town, but I know my name's been dropped several times in the past week alone, and even posts quoting me are usually included.

Whilst it's true that a lot of members don't know how to search properly, there is definitely something wrong.

So I search for simply Harley across the entire board, show as posts, everything else default. I get only 9 results - all from last year. I'm not exactly the talk of the town, but I know my name's been dropped several times in the past week alone, and even posts quoting me are usually included.

Exactly this!

Using either standard search on forum page or advanced search. Whether it be simple searches like 'deathmatch' or something more detailed like 'deathmatch fun times'.

• Like 1

Gnocchi Flip Flops

"Don't like it, leave"

"Works fine for me"

"You're doing it wrong"

"Why use search anyway"

Just as a side note, you won't get better help if you keep being condescending.

It's not condescending, it's just the truth. Period.

I've noticed exactly what Harley is noticing. A few months ago I used to look up StingrayX (my old name) all of the time and got accurate results so I could see who mentioned me or quoted me. Then along the way an update came and it screwed up the results. I mean I got results from a few weeks ago and then it randomly jumped to results from months ago when I knew for a fact that somebody had at least mentioned my name or quoted one of posts once a week. And then recently the results just went stupid. I saw somebody quote me today and I search my name and got no results. I narrowed my results to in between today and 3 days ago. Still nothing. So now I can officially say that the search is broken and I won't be using it until it's fixed.

Edit: I use advanced search BTW, I always select content only and then posts.

Edited by Sting4S

1. Go to Google

2. Type in GTA Forums (whatever you're searching for here)

3. Search

4. Profit

• Like 1

Yeah, I know how to do a site search through Google (not the lousy method you described). Doesn't fix the problem though. Get your free posts somewhere else.

• Like 3

Yeah, I know how to do a site search through Google (not the lousy method you described). Doesn't fix the problem though. Get your free posts somewhere else.

Except this was a solution given by a staff member in the past when a similar thread was made, as it actually works. I found the thread Slohbur searched for in his example by simply doing this, so get off your high horse, thanks.

Edited by Biohazard Abyss!

Gnocchi Flip Flops

Except this was a solution given by a staff member in the past when a similar thread was made, as it actually works. I found the thread Slohbur searched for in his example by simply doing this, so get off your high horse, thanks.

The point is that we shouldn't have to do that. That's stupid. But I guess it'll never get fixed, just like the interactive map for IV (which made one of those threads that I put so much work into a while ago worhtless). VI will probably be out before that's fixed.

The point is that we shouldn't have to do that. That's stupid. But I guess it'll never get fixed, just like the interactive map for IV (which made one of those threads that I put so much work into a while ago worhtless). VI will probably be out before that's fixed.

I could understand if it was a tedious process, then it'd be stupid, but it's just a simple Google search and in the end, you're accomplishing your task of searching for whatever it is you're looking for.

Google doesn't search through the restricted areas of the forum

Now I can understand how it's an issue from this perspective.

Again, not a solution, it's a short term and (for several reasons) an ineffective fix. I'm sure it's appreciated, but no one is asking for that. This thread is about the broken search function on this website.

Well, yeah the search is definitely bugged. It doesn't even list posts by the correct order. (that is, the correct order by date). And you have to tweak a lot of stuff to get your desired result.

I really prefer the old forum. Everything from the search system to the features. The new forum is just annoying with a lot of bugs. Even if the old forum wasn't that stable it was still more user friendly. (At least in my opinion)

Hopefully the staff sort out all these issues soon. :)

Gnocchi Flip Flops

I could understand if it was a tedious process, then it'd be stupid, but it's just a simple Google search and in the end, you're accomplishing your task of searching for whatever it is you're looking for.

It is a tedious process. You have no idea how much I search for stuff on this forum. Google search isn't even any help most of the time. The fact that I have to use Google search because the search function can't even do what it's supposed to do is annoying.

I'd hate to say it but it seems fine for me. Are you searching for specific topics you know the title to or posts?

I tired a few searches myself and got the topic and posts I was after everytime. If you're searching for a topic that you know the name to, make sure the 'Match' part is set to "all words" and "Only search in titles", no need to change any of the other options apart from the area you're searching in. If you're searching for specific posts then change it to "Only search in content".

If it's still not working then I don't know where you're going wrong with it but it seems okay when I try it.

Edited by StyleSlick

I have to say, recently, it hasn't been working for me either.. I was searching for an old gang topic that I posted in Public Gang Chat, I entered the exact title and nothing came up. I had to get a friend to help me.

VWSTp.png

Speaking from personal experience, the search function on this website has never been particularly reliable. Instead the work around, opening a new tab and searching through Google has netted me better results.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Gnocchi Flip Flops

You know I thought the search engine from before the big forum update, back in 2013, was top notch. It was always reliable. I think they need to add a 20 second limit in between searches again, if that will help any. They need to focus on fixing it.

Gnocchi Flip Flops

It just keeps getting worse and worse. I just tried to look up topic titles and nothing that comes up even matches what I put in. Like what the f*ck? This feature is practically useless. No wonder there are so many duplicate topics in the V section, the search function barely works.

• Like 3