Underrated/Overrated Game Characters

Gay Tony

Miranda Lawson (Mass Effect 2 and 3)- Highly underrated. Seen entirely as sex symbol, nothing more and hated for it. I highly disagree and see her an interesting, deep, highly complex individual and love interest for my straight-male Shepard run-though. Her being genetically engineered by her father and "perfect" is what Miranda Lawson is about and that's entirely futuristic and goes with the storyline, not just being there for horny teens.

Donkey Kong- Overrated Mario character. His screaming, smile, and clumsy oomfness pisses me off. His fighting moves are super annoying and unpleasant/overwhelming to watch. Nothing more to be said.

And talk about why you think what you do!

Name as many as you want. Interested to hear some responses! :)

Edited by mr toasterbutt

Homemade Dynamite

Scorpion from Mortal Kombat. There are way more interesting characters in games than this guy who don't get the attention they deserve. He's basically a glorified errand boy, but since people liked him and he's Ed Boon's favorite character he gets shoved into out faces all the time. The last straw was when they made him a DLC character in Injustice, when they explicitly said there wouldn't be any MK characters in that game.

Alpha Demigod

Overrated: Ezio Auditore.

Hated him after AC2. Drawn out, and just so cliche and boring.

Underrated:

Connor from AC3. The AC community seems to hate him, but I f*cking loved that dude (no homo) as an assassin and character.

make total destroy

Overrated: Ezio Auditore.

Hated him after AC2. Drawn out, and just so cliche and boring.

Underrated:

Connor from AC3. The AC community seems to hate him, but I f*cking loved that dude as an assassin and character.

ftfy

Underrated? Well, Mike Dawson, obvs.

111107_darkseed2.jpg

• Like 1

yqwcbDf.png

a20characterusername

Since SPND already posted my first answer, I'll go with Ben from Full Throttle as being underrated. No melodramatic backstory, has hilariously cheesy one-liners, and he traversed a minefield with pink bunnies to the tune of "Ride of the Valkyries".

I disagree about Miranda Lawson. She very clearly was designed as a sex symbol, as evidenced by multiple, extremely obvious shots of her virtual ass and that ridiculous outfit, which looks like it was painted on. I didn't find her complex, I found her to be an annoying, spoiled 'pretty' girl with daddy issues. I didn't *hate* her, but out of the main cast she was near the bottom for me. Between her, Jacob, Tali, Ashley, Grunt, and Thane, all the whining about daddies just got old. At least with Tali and Grunt it was sort of interesting, to me anyway. Opinions, etc.

That said, I think Tali is overrated. She's really not all that great for all the love she gets (got a few good missions though), and some people seem to have this sort of creepy 'thing' for her...I don't get it.

Edited by gtarelatedusername2

N7Operative84

Underrated: Joanna Dark.

She took over for Bond back in 2000's Perfect Dark. One of the greatest games ever made was remade back a few years ago , with Perfect Dark XBLA.

Too bad Perfect Dark Zero killed any interest in seeing Joanna again. Shame , for a cool strong female character to appeal only really one, in a FPS , which is very rare. She was something different and cool.

For me , Perfect Dark was the only reason I didn't sell my Xbox 360 for the longest time. If i ever buy another Xbox 360, re downloading Perfect Dark, will be the first thing I do.

pdxbla_11_zpsa8fbe0fe.jpg

Perfect-Dark-bientot-sur-le-Xbox-Live-Ar

Edited by N7Operative84

Overrated: Mario, Barry Burton, James Sunderland(and this is coming from a guy who's fourth favourite game of all time is Silent Hill 2), Soap McTavish, Frank West, Nathan Drake.

Underrated: Minato Arisato, Harry Mason, Ness, Barney Calhoun(radar operator! You're awesome if you know where that's from).

Overrated:

Barry Burton

Frank West

Our friendship ends here.

38391_s.gif

Overrated:

- CJ from San Andreas. As much as I loved that game I think he is too overrated for a character who has only been in one game so far.

- Mario in ever game, Luigi is better in a lot of ways but for some reason everyone goes for mario. Just because he's the main character doesn't make him the best.

Underrated:

Aya from Parasite Eve 2. As far as I'm aware no one on this forum has even played Parasite Eve 2. This game is one of the classic Japanese Playstation 1 games so the storyline was the best thing about it, sure the graphics were sh#t but the game was f#cking amazing and still is.

The game is about an female FBI agent who has supernatural abilities (healing) (earth, water, fire and wind) that is trying to find and collect info on a secret underground desert shelter that is believed to be harbouring a deadly disease. I won't explain anymore but if you want to see what the game is like there are playthroughs on youtube and the game is available for download on Playstation Network.

Edited by BigJoe_1
  • Like 1

I disagree about Miranda Lawson. She very clearly was designed as a sex symbol, as evidenced by multiple, extremely obvious shots of her virtual ass and that ridiculous outfit, which looks like it was painted on. I didn't find her complex, I found her to be an annoying, spoiled 'pretty' girl with daddy issues. I didn't *hate* her, but out of the main cast she was near the bottom for me. Between her, Jacob, Tali, Ashley, Grunt, and Thane, all the whining about daddies just got old. At least with Tali and Grunt it was sort of interesting, to me anyway. Opinions, etc.

That said, I think Tali is overrated. She's really not all that great for all the love she gets (got a few good missions though), and some people seem to have this sort of creepy 'thing' for her...I don't get it.

I pretty much agree with that, on Miranda and Tali anyway. I always thought Thane was interesting though. Jacob was basically the worst character ever written.

The Tali thing is likely because she's sort of helpless in some ways. People get to be her virtual white knight!

Jack is hugely underrated from the ME series.

I'm unsure what the gaming community thinks of her, but Lara Croft of the latest Tomb Raider game.

Unlike virtually every protagonist in games, she isn't an arrogant and cocky sadist who enjoys fighting and killing people. Her character is far more believable as she shows a lot of vulnerability and only kills to survive.

Many games try to justify why their protagonists are essentially mass-murderers, but I feel none really show them hating the act.

Lara in that game is also unique in being the only protagonist I truely felt sorry for, though Max Payne 3 does a pretty good job too.

6g8AhC3.jpg

Alpha Demigod

Overrated:

- CJ from San Andreas. As much as I loved that game I think he is too overrated for a character who has only been in one game so far.

You say that as if GTA characters appear in more than one game.

Edited by Dark Bordeus

Overrated:

I said that because many GTA fans think that there should have been a GTA San Andreas Stories which would probably show us what CJ's life would be like before returning home when Sweet tells him that his mother has died.

I'm sorry for being misleading but I was simply saying that for a character in one game in the whole series he is quite overrated.

Overrated

Aiden Pearce

How? Like 95% of people who played Watch Dogs ended up hating him.

38391_s.gif

theworldfamous

Overrated

Aiden Pearce

How? Like 95% of people who played Watch Dogs ended up hating him.

Haha so true!

Nobody does 'digital douchebag' quite like Ubisoft.

I hate questions like this. You're not asking me who I like or not, but who I think is overrated or not. So it's not my opinion on something, you want my opinion on the opinion of others. My opinion on that is: don't give a sh*t.

Overrated:

Pfff. Most characters in most games really.

Underrated:

Max Payne. As a comedy character. 1 and 2 were just hilariously funny to me. I think most people view the stories as serious with a bit of dark humour, but I think they were meant as comedy all the way. The joke with Max is that you take everything that'll happen to a videogame hero, but you let it really affect him and drag him down.

After a while all those dark obverservations he makes become absolutely hysterical and the situations ramp up in ridiculous ways. The mob guys are also satanic cultists, of course.

I don't know if rockstar left that behind on purpose or, like many gamers, didn't get the humour. Regardless, 3 wasn't as funny but it did capture Max being damagrd from the events in 1 and 2 and going off the rails once again very well. It was a fitting send off and he'll be one of my most memorable characters in games for a long time.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Overrated:

I said that because many GTA fans think that there should have been a GTA San Andreas Stories which would probably show us what CJ's life would be like before returning home when Sweet tells him that his mother has died.

I'm sorry for being misleading but I was simply saying that for a character in one game in the whole series he is quite overrated.

You want to know what's so stupid about that concept? People want to know about CJ's life before returning to LS even though the game would be called "San Andreas Stories" and CJ would still be in LC during that time. It won't be called "San Andreas Stories" if it's focusing on CJ's life before returning home since he won't actually be in San Andreas. So I definitely agree with you saying that CJ is overrated. Too many people ride his fictional dick so f*cking hard!

Overrated: CJ for the same reasons as stated above.

Tommy Vercetti: A flat character with memorable voice acting and little more. IMO he serves to simply be the typical badass character for players to fantasize with, but with no real depth.

Underrated: Daniel Lamb (Manhunt 2). It's a shame the games story was all over the place due to development troubles, because Rockstar really tried to make him into a unique character. Not a stereotypical badass, but a troubled man who contrasts Leo, the psychopath.

Overrated:

CJ

Trevor

Johnny Gat

Underrated:

Vito Scaletta

Shadowfennekin

Overrated:

CJ. So f*cking tired of him

Kinzie from Saints Row.....I hate her -_- Matt, Donnie, and Oleg are better characters to play the "smart" role. We were originally going to get BOTH Viola and Kiki on the team, it'd have worked fine without her.

Vaas, I love him but..... he really is overrated for an Antagonist. And he's kinda doomed future Far Cry Antagonists to never measuring up to his greatness.

Jimmy P, I see him getting praise for being such a good GTA antagonist but I don't get it. Every Jimmy in GTA sucks imo

Johnny Gat, he's my favorite character besides Boss. But he really is overrated, such backlash at his death which I could relate. I wasn't pissed he "died", I was pissed they couldn't do it onscreen and make us feel for him like they did Lin and Carlos.

Trevor, again favorite GTA character but he too is overrated.

Niko, overrated here. :p

Underrated:

Aiden Pierce, the dude gets more hate than he deserves. I'm like one of the ten people that like him.

Zinyak, he's the best villain in Saints Row. I love how he so casually says "Whoops" when he blows up earth.

Dex, not from the fans perspective, fans wanted him to return but to the devs themselves. We wanted closure, Boss wanted to get revenge on him, he then disappears except from mentions until Gat out of Hell where "Kill Dex" was a marketed feature....... guess what? 1. You can't kill him as the Boss so that is meaningless, you're either Gat or somebody who never even met him! 2. NOTHING story related, he's doomed to be killed again and again and again and again for the rest of eternity. *sigh^ Maybe if 5 really is a reboot of sorts, Dex can be the main Antagonist

Since SPND already posted my first answer, I'll go with Ben from Full Throttle as being underrated. No melodramatic backstory, has hilariously cheesy one-liners, and he traversed a minefield with pink bunnies to the tune of "Ride of the Valkyries".

Agreed. I find that..... stuff rather disgusting.

Scorpion from Mortal Kombat.

Good one.

Wait, you are being serious.

My list is:

Overrated:

- Michael De Santa gta V

Everyone focuses on Trevor because he's basically a troll character, but this guy is a f*cking cliche and a douche, he doesn't have many reedemable qualities or fun activities, is just a drag to play as him, he ain't also that well written.

- CJ gta SA

Everyone treats like he's some kind of believable/well written character, he's mediocre at best and gets annoying to play as him.

I'll add more.

Edited by Midnight Hitman
  • Like 1

TheDeadite.gif

Jerking For Soup

Overrated:

Master Chief. There I said it. Master Chief doesn't deserve most of the praise he gets.

Underrated:

Your Dad in Fallout 3. He is such an awesome character with an in-depth backstory.

Overrated:

Clementine from Season 1 of The Walking Dead.

I'm sincerely conflicted about putting her on here because I really do love Season 1 of The Walking Dead. Makes me bawl like a baby every time. But while I still like Clementine for what she is, she seems just a little too cutesy, perfect, and naïve compared to characters like Ellie from The Last of Us. As a result, it's a lot more fun to see her in Season 2, where you can flesh out her personality.

Underrated:

Jane from Season 2 of The Walking Dead. Most fans seem to hate her because of what she ends up doing, but I love how seamlessly she can pull off being pragmatic, vicious, and emotionally vulnerable all at once.

Overrated

Aiden Pearce

Altair

Lara Croft

Underrated

Nilin

Booker

Jodie Holmes

Artyom

JODIE. She's glorious.

Scorpion from Mortal Kombat. There are way more interesting characters in games than this guy who don't get the attention they deserve. He's basically a glorified errand boy, but since people liked him and he's Ed Boon's favorite character he gets shoved into out faces all the time. The last straw was when they made him a DLC character in Injustice, when they explicitly said there wouldn't be any MK characters in that game.

No , thats Niko Bellic .

Overrated :

-Niko Bellic

-Claude GTA 3

-Michael GTA 5

-Nathan Drake

Underrated :

-James Earl Cash

-Bigby Wolf

-The Postal Dude

• Like 3

she seems just a little too cutesy, perfect, and naïve compared to characters like Ellie from The Last of Us.

? She was 8, Ellie was 14 XD

Overrated: Ezio, seriously, I like the character, but it sickens me when people try to justify him sparing Rodrigo's life

Overrated

- Carl Johnson

- Miranda Lawson

- John-117

- G-Man

- Lara Croft

Underrated

- Connor Kenway

- Alan Wake

- Victor Vance

- Vladimir Makarov