2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

*DO NOT* SHARE MEDIA OR LINKS TO LEAKED COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Discussion is allowed.

Did rockstar decide to keep the concept of 3 protagonists each era?

Tikhung

After GTA V, I think Rockstar decided to keep the concept of 3 protagonists for each era. They already came up with this idea since GTA IV (Niko, Johnny and Luis). What do you think? Will it be a new GTA traditional?

• Like 1

GTA_Sharpshooter

Actually there are

3 in "normal" eras

Claude (III),Tommy (VC) and CJ (SA)

2 in stories

Toni (LCS) and Vic (VCS)

At IV storyline

Niko (IV),Luis (TBOGT) and Jhonny (TLAD)

Then at V there are the three ones.

It happens since III era,but on V you can change it from one to another withou "quiting game",they have story crosseds (More then III/IV).

It wasn't as cool as i tought.It would work very good on III/VC/SA(Even without the time line right) and IV...

correction, they came up with the idea of having 3 protagonists since San Andreas, well if you're gonna get picky since gta 1

but in my opinion I'd rather have one with a fully developed storyline or 2 at maximum, 3 was a bit ambitious even for them.

• Like 3

GTA_Sharpshooter

correction, they came up with the idea of having 3 protagonists since San Andreas, well if you're gonna get picky since gta 1

but in my opinion I'd rather have one with a fully developed storyline or 2 at maximum, 3 was a bit ambitious even for them.

Yep that's what i meant.

I prefer only ONE! But, not a wimp like Niko.

Though, I won't mind having Two.

Three protags suck!

You're awfully quick to judge. Like always.

OT: I don't know, I hope not. I am still a fan of the one protagonist concept, but I don't mind three. For GTA VI, I hope its one only. That would put GTA V over has the only GTA to have multiple protagonists at once (don't mention GTA 1...)

You're awfully quick to judge. Like always

I prefer ONE! & You are a fan too.

I don't mind two & You don't mind three.

For VI I hope its not three. & You hope its one only.

So, what's the problem?

Just focus on your yourself. No need of any extra bullsh*t remarks.

Edited by Osho

I suppose... If each one of the three characters can have a fully developed story, then i'm all for keeping this 3 protagonist system. I loved how IV's protagonists intertwined. They had their own jobs and goals, and each of the 3 protags were only side characters in the other one's story. However, making all three characters together as one for the entire story didn't work so good, as seen in V - in my opinion. So yeah, i welcome IV's style but not V's.

not a wimp like Niko.

Wimp? I at least get the crybaby insults, but wimp? lol c'mon

Edited by thekillerdonuts
  • Like 4

Here's what I think they should do for the next game.

- Have two protagonists.

- The two protagonists should have completely different stories, and they shouldn't know each other.

- Let them affect each other's stories, similarity to GTA IV + EFLC, but mostly through the player choices.

- Perhaps near the end of the game(s), the two protagonists will find out about it each other, and how much they sh*t they done to each other, and each of them might become the antagonist of the other. The player will choose who will "win" in the end.

It would essentially be like having two gta games in one, only interconnected really closely, with player choices that affect the outcomes of the story all the way through. I think that could be really interesting, if pulled off right, and would offer a tonne of replay value.

I'm not sure if the switch system should be implemented or not, through, seeing as since the whole premise is that they don't know of eachother, could be ruining if they meet up in Free roam.

Edited by simonp92
  • Like 2

I'd prefer one protagonist in the main game, but then two DLC's with different characters in there. I enjoyed having that in the GTA IV storyline.

I prefer 1 protagonist in each game like they had in 3D games and GTA 4 and EFLC,that way they can write them better.2 protagonists would maybe work too,but I think GTA 5 had too short story to develop all 3 protagonists properly.I hope that in GTA 6 they put only 1 or maybe 2 protagonists or make longer story if they plan to put 3 or more of them.

• Like 1

I liked the 3 protaginsts. Maybe they'll go back to 1. Who knows?

rockstar

fMNTnvL.png

Algonquin Assassin

If they do multiple protagonists again I would rather it be like GTA IV/EFLC. With GTA V the switching makes it hard to connect with Michael, Franklin and Trevor and the best way I could describe it is it feels like you're changing skins.

Because GTA IV, TLAD and TBOGT all took place at the same time Niko's, Johnny's and Luis' individual performances felt much stronger IMO. They also didn't know eachother (with the lone exception of Niko and Johnny briefly working together).

It just felt like Sin City/Pulp Fiction in that sense. I would love that style to come back.

• Like 3

GTA IV Signature V4 by Lettermaniac on DeviantArt

If they do multiple protagonists again I would rather it be like GTA IV/EFLC. With GTA V the switching makes it hard to connect with Michael, Franklin and Trevor and the best way I could describe it is it feels like you're changing skins.

Because GTA IV, TLAD and TBOGT all took place at the same time Niko's, Johnny's and Luis' individual performances felt much stronger IMO. They also didn't know eachother (with the lone exception of Niko and Johnny briefly working together).

It just felt like Sin City/Pulp Fiction in that sense. I would love that style to come back.

Yes, I think the characters switching thing was just a gimmick, a shout-out to the modding community. It does not make you have that special feelings with the protagonist, like you have with older games.

Edited by Tikhung

No.. don't see it. 3D era had a total of 5 protags, HD era had a total of 7 so far (with CW), so I don't see where you get the ''3 per era'' idea since both IV and V are in the same era. It just so happened that new consoles were released after SA and we got a new era then, otherwise we would've probably got a new GTA in 2006 (main game, not spin off) similar to III, VC and SA.

In the next game we may get any number of protags. Even V was supposed to have two, instead of three protags according to rumors that were around initially and Franklin was probably added later.

No.. don't see it. 3D era had a total of 5 protags, HD era had a total of 7 so far (with CW), so I don't see where you get the ''3 per era'' idea since both IV and V are in the same era. It just so happened that new consoles were released after SA and we got a new era then, otherwise we would've probably got a new GTA in 2006 (main game, not spin off) similar to III, VC and SA.

In the next game we may get any number of protags. Even V was supposed to have two, instead of three protags according to rumors that were around initially and Franklin was probably added later.

They're in the same UNIVERSE, not the same ERA. We don't count spin-off games like LCS and VCS.

Actually there are

3 in "normal" eras

Claude (III),Tommy (VC) and CJ (SA)

2 in stories

Toni (LCS) and Vic (VCS)

At IV storyline

Niko (IV),Luis (TBOGT) and Jhonny (TLAD)

Then at V there are the three ones.

It happens since III era,but on V you can change it from one to another withou "quiting game",they have story crosseds (More then III/IV).

It wasn't as cool as i tought.It would work very good on III/VC/SA(Even without the time line right) and IV...

Good point. Apparently the 3 protag idea was going to be in San An originally, and I guess that would have given us CJ, Cesar and... hm, not sure who else we would have had... Truth? Maybe we would have controlled CJ, Sweet and Ryder?

I think it's a good change, but the characters in V weren't ideal. Trevor and Michael are poor characters in my opinion, and I would rather have had Ron and Jimmy as playables. Or Lester, in his wheelchair. That would have been amazing.

Signatures are dumb anyway.

I prefer only ONE! But, not a wimp like Niko.

Though, I won't mind having Two.

Three protags suck!

hGrlws2.gif

• Like 2

You're awfully quick to judge. Like always

I prefer ONE! & You are a fan too.

I don't mind two & You don't mind three.

For VI I hope its not three. & You hope its one only.

So, what's the problem?

Just focus on your yourself. No need of any extra bullsh*t remarks.

I think you misunderstood, what I am trying to say is that you judged about 3 protagonists so fast. I mean, for starters we only got one GTA so far that has 3 protagonists, 2 did you really think it sucked even though it was introduced for the very first time? I never gave any extra bullsh*t remarks, just pointing out.

the ironic one

I'd prefer 4 (one female included), but only one alive at the end.

I think you misunderstood, what I am trying to say is that you judged about 3 protagonists so fast. I mean, for starters we only got one GTA so far that has 3 protagonists, 2 did you really think it sucked even though it was introduced for the very first time?

Oh! Sorry, I misconstrued your point.

I now understand, what you attempted to say.

Some of my concerns, without going into details, are a fair chunk of the effect it comes along with controlling them, to the other legitimate concerns regarding the divisive rules applied on how you can customize them, how the gameplay itself becomes a lot restrictive ( talking about the story missions ) due to "timed" switching mechanics, and et cetra.

To me, the IV styled take was more interesting. If they had introduced a lot more interconnecting plots, it would've been a blast. Period.

Also, it wasn't their first attempt , but yeah, for having all three packed in one game ( V ), sure.

Still, I personally prefer the lesser, the better.

• Like 1