2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

*DO NOT* SHARE MEDIA OR LINKS TO LEAKED COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Discussion is allowed.

Free Running

Patrykq

It's been a long time since the release, so anyone got any thoughts about the free running in GTA V? Is it improvement over IV? In open world games it's so cool to be able to get everywhere on foot, not just by flying in a vehicle, so I'm really hoping they've made free running a lot better than in GTA IV.

Edited by Patrykq

I like how most buildings in LS you can climb on. However the free-running in IV felt better.

• Like 2

My only complaints on the free running in V:

• Jumping to cross a gap and grabbing ledges mid-air has been removed. Characters just flop about and rag doll if their jump doesn't connect with ground immediately. Sucks.

• Holding onto ledges and shimmying is gone as well. This was great for climbing up to hard to get to roofs, but without it you're limited to always going over a ledge, which sometimes is a bad bad thing.

Now as far as what's better, the animations sure as hell are. Niko had some clunky ass animations when jumping and grabbing onto ledges. Pulling himself over them was also slow and tedious. Now things are much smoother as are all animations thanks to a serious overhaul of RAGE. No more janky shakey character animations, just nice and smooth.

Hopefully modders can bring back at least the ability to grab ledges from a jump, because this was easily the most important aspect to free running and gaining elevation in the urban jungle.

I've seen that coming, R* always tends to remove so many fan favorite features from previous games, thanks guys for the response, I'm sure to send some feedback to R* after I play the game for my self.

• Like 2

theworldfamous

The climbing is fine there just isn't that much to climb in the game. Next gen won't fix that but if there's one criticism I have with GTA is that it has always overlooked the sidewalk.

Melee combat, verticality, stealth. The games hardly have these, but there's a lot you could do there. Climbing on top of buildings, rooftop chases. Missions you could play with stealth or melee combat.

The stupid part is that it's mostly already there. IV was more climbable, you can sort of use stealth since SA and melee combat gets the ideas right but just needs a little work. And then rockstar needs to build the opportunities to use them.

• Like 2

There has never been any Freerunning or Parkour.

All there have been is basic techniques for vaulting obstaclec, climbing, jumping and rolling.

Unfortunately, all these features have been watered down in GTA V. If you're trying to climb up on a car your character vaults over it. If you walk to close to a ledge your character vaults down from it. If you jump your character leans backwards or forwards and lose the balance. If you try to get hold of a ledge, your character slamms into it. You can't even hang on ledges. On top off that, all animations are to fast. The climb-up technique in GTA IV looked far more realistic than in GTA V. You're not going to do climbups as fas as in GTA V unless you've practised them many times. But hey, that's how casual gamers want it - God forbid if the game is to ''complex'', or if you have to wait an extra sec for your character to climb up a wall.

Edited by Cyper
  • Like 3

Hey its not perfect, I was really hoping back in 2013 that they would incorporate an assassin's creed style freedom of movement in this iteration (also hoping for a sleeping dogs style melee combat system) - but alas they really dug their heels in and stayed with the old way it works. All the effort went into a big ass empty shiny map I suppose.

Someone will make the game we really want, soon too I hope - honestly I think GTA is exposed to be usurped right now. All of the physics exist in other games, just bung 'em all together and wa-la. Just Cause 3 anyone?

That goth ghetto punk dude up there ^ had it right that it is missing the ledge grabbing. They are supposed to move forwards, not take abilities away and step backwards.

Saying all this I will give V its due, because a good few times I have slid off the roof of a lowish building, then immediately hopped up onto a ledge and over a fence then sliding across a car (you get the gist) - and it did feel nicely fluid. I also like taking running jumps off buildings over gaps onto other buildings, the little roll the characters do is cool.

Edited by Bandalamente
  • Like 2

Trevorphilipjfry

I like how you can slide over crates and cars.

I also quite like how much stuff is climbable, and it feels a lot smoother and faster than it did in IV. although Id quite like to shimmy again.

^Did a thorn get stuck in your ass?

• Like 2

Colognenigguh

The hood is really great for freerunning u can climb most fences and houses and jump from house to house I really suggest to try it !

i'm OK with it.

also parkour/free running should never be in GTA. none of this assassin's creed/mirror's edge sh*te.

Edited by one55
  • Like 1

i'm OK with it.

also parkour/free running should never be in GTA. none of this assassin's creed/mirror's edge sh*te.

why not? it would be a great addition specially if the protagonist is young and athletic, there are better ways to explore the fully detailed world they give us.

• Like 3

Let's be honest here, free-running has always been sh*t in GTA. It's not that sort of game.

Signatures are dumb anyway.

tbh I was quite disappointed in the climbing, i was looking forward to being able to scale rocky faces or even some buildings but instead they really did make it worse. I was also hoping that the abseiling wasnt just mission specific (the fact that it exists from the MW heli but nowhere else pisses me off) and that you could combine the two to get to impossibly hard to reach places for a laugh, then maybe BASE jump off.
I think ill wait for PC version and if it hasnt improved by then im sure something else better will have come along

GTA games has always been kinda jacks of all trades, so it wouldn't hurt to have more and better options for exploring the world, and I'm not saying to implement full blown free running mechanics Assassin's Creed's like, that would be an overkill, and it just wouldn't fit a GTA game at all, but just simple movement options to be able to explore the world in different ways, rather than using vehicles all the time.

• Like 2

theworldfamous

Let's get one thing straight. Assassin's Creed parkour isn't that great and not where GTA should go. It's too guided and imprecise. I really don't like the trend in games to automate more movements. I want direct input, so what if that makes certain things harder to achieve.

Ubisoft does have some good ideas with movement. I like the cover system in watch dogs and splinter cell. But I don't like how those games flash button prompts all over the environment, it makes the whole game a giant quick time event.

Climbing in GTA is pretty decent, if there's something to climb on that is. In v there isn't. It would be nice to be able to shimmy along edges and stuff but I don't think Trevor and Michael could pull that off for more than 5 seconds.

• Like 1

I think rockstar could have added something like assassins creed climbing for rockclimbing. it wouldnt be a carbon copy of assassin creed but it could still make the game more interesting. or maybe with the three protagonist idea, one character could be a free runner... there are lots of ways to incorporate it in without annoying the people who don't want it.

Sunrise Driver

Inability to jump over the gap is #1 sucks feature in GTA V for me. Big step down from GTA IV.

On top off that, all animations are to fast.

Yeah, especially car entering animation. Looks very strange and wrong.

I really and seriously expect them to reworks these issues in GTA V: Proper.

It was pretty bad, a step backwards from Gta 4. Before the 2nd trailer, I expected Franklin to be able to do all the cool free-running movements, but no, it didn't happen.

The Harwood Bitcher

Let's be honest here, free-running has always been sh*t in GTA. It's not that sort of game.

And it must keep that way , i don't want to use a ninja

^^Ha, haha, No. We don't need an all out Assassins Creed, Shadows Of Mordor type shiznick, something simple yet still engaging.

Trevorphilipjfry

Something a little bit lower than what sleeping dogs has?

That'd be a good level of free running perhaps.

yeah im not really looking for acrobatics or anything just the ability to climb, grab, shimmy pull self up/drop down. If they were to try to sell the new version to me they would also need to add a bit of rope climbing/abseiling but surely the simple stuff is, well, simple enough? Im not expecting a map overhaul to bring the new animations in with just a little more freedom to explore the world (and escape cops/players).

chance to request more interiors too though, as more inside explorqtion is always enjoyed by many

If you really think about it , Trevor and Michael couldn't really hold on to those ledges very long. They're not the youngest of protagonists. It would have been cool if there were more specific features to a character. Franklin could easily hold on to those ledges for a long time.

But I like how all of them have different running speeds. It wouldn't have really made sense if Michael could outrun Franklin. One specific feature I noticed is that sometimes Franklin uses a lockpick to steal cars while Michael and Trevor just smash the window.

Let's just hope that Rockstar will implement some small new features.

i dont see why Trevor wouldnt be able to keep up (albeit a bit slower) with Frank, hes not exactly old and certainly not overweight or too skinny. Mike I can see would need a bit more yoga to be able to do much lol.

• Like 2

Wait, they all have different running speeds? I didn't know that, that's pretty cool and also like what you said KogerOnControls, they should of expanded more on their physical abilities based by the characters.

Wait, they all have different running speeds? I didn't know that, that's pretty cool and also like what you said KogerOnControls, they should of expanded more on their physical abilities based by the characters.

Yup. They have different running speeds. This feature was also present in GTA IV with Niko being the fastest , Luis coming second and Johnny last.