2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

*DO NOT* SHARE MEDIA OR LINKS TO LEAKED COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Discussion is allowed.

Is Steam hurting PC gaming by not publishing their sales figures?

Phil Cassidy7

Phil Cassidy7
I keep pondering this.
At a casual glance, PC games are selling incredibly badly and it's always attributed to piracy (such is the case with the Grand Theft Auto games), so much so that it's caused a boom in frankly offensive DRM and lazy afterthoughts for ports.
But considering Steam has at least 90% (92%) of the PC gaming market it's almost certainly a lot healthier than it seems.
Would it change anything if they were more open? Maybe companies like Rockstar would have more into account the pc gaming community?
Probably the majority (not all) of us is going to buy the game via Steam, and is funny to think that maybe we be are hurting ourselves.
What do you think?

-

The topic was approved by Andreas
Edited by Loveint
  • Like 2

Phil Cassidy7

I can assure you the publishers do get the numbers.

Ah, but the rub here is that other publishers don't see those numbers. So they compare it to their console numbers. They don't have the opportunity to go "Why is Valve's latest doing so well on the PC when ours did so poorly?". Instead we get a series of announcements about how PC gaming is dead / dying.

Edited by Loveint

I can assure you the publishers do get the numbers.

Ah, but the rub here is that other publishers don't see those numbers. So they compare it to their console numbers. They don't have the opportunity to go "Why is Valve's latest doing so well on the PC when ours did so poorly?". Instead we get a series of announcements about how PC gaming is dead / dying.

Publishers probably have access to that kind of info from steam, they also go through negotiations with steam before their game begins selling on steam where they conclude how big of a cut the steam will take. I can't think of any advantages that not releasing the sold amount info brings.

no, it's people like you who say things like "pc games are selling incredibly badly" based on nothing that hurts PC gaming

Edited by jimmycakes
  • Like 2

Phil Cassidy7

no, it's people like you who say things like "pc games are selling incredibly badly" based on nothing that hurts PC gaming

Troll obvious troll, contributes to the topic or get out of here.

Edited by Loveint

He has a reasonable point. You have to remember that the publishers have access to a lot more information that us consumers don't.

No, Valve is not hurting the PC sales by not publishing sales figures.

Phil Cassidy7

He has a reasonable point. You have to remember that the publishers have access to a lot more information that us consumers don't.

No, Valve is not hurting the PC sales by not publishing sales figures.

My god people, have some reading comprehension, I NEVER stated that as a fact, let me quote:

At a casual glance, PC games are selling incredibly badly and it's always attributed to piracy, so much so that it's caused a boom in frankly offensive DRM and lazy afterthoughts for ports.

But considering Steam has at least 90% (92%) of the PC gaming market > it's almost certainly a lot healthier than it seems. <

-

You have to remember that the publishers have access to a lot more information that us consumers don't.

As i said before:

Is certainly that other publishers don't see those numbers. So they compare it to their console numbers. They don't have the opportunity to go "Why is Valve's latest doing so well on the PC when ours did so poorly?". Instead we get a series of announcements about how PC gaming is dead / dying.

Edited by Loveint

Other publishers don't see those numbers. So they compare it to their console numbers. They don't have the opportunity to go "Why is Valve's latest doing so well on the PC when ours did so poorly?". Instead we get a series of announcements about how PC gaming is dead / dying.

That's not a problem of getting information, but rather ignoring that information. There will always be announcements and news about how PC gaming is dying and we all have to move on to sub-par consoles, PC gaming won't die just because some mediocre publisher says so.

Phil Cassidy7

Other publishers don't see those numbers. So they compare it to their console numbers. They don't have the opportunity to go "Why is Valve's latest doing so well on the PC when ours did so poorly?". Instead we get a series of announcements about how PC gaming is dead / dying.

That's not a problem of getting information, but rather ignoring that information. There will always be announcements and news about how PC gaming is dying and we all have to move on to sub-par consoles, PC gaming won't die just because some mediocre publisher says so.

Well, that actually contributes to the point of the topic, if the public had acces to the numbers, such statements would become fallacies, but since we don't, they remain truths that people not well informed about the subject will believe, and bring as an excuse every time there is a bad port or not well optimized game.

I don't think companies like rockstar or ubisoft are mediocre.

Edited by Loveint

Phil Cassidy7

The publisher is the one who can reveal the sales numbers, not valve.

As a point of sales, i'm pretty sure they have a count for how many times a game got downloaded/bought

I don't mean the money, but how many times the game is ordered.

I think that V will sold 1 millon of units if they have luck.

Thety treat PC gamers like sh*t and that will impact in PC sales for sure.

R is to greedy

They'll never do that, why? Simple.

If the real numbers get revealed, game companies can't come out crying that piracy is destroying their sales and they'll have no reason to not respect and treat PC communities as they deserve. So this way Steam gets happy with their sales, publishers fill their pockets with maybe 5 or 10 more times then what they announce to the public and they still have a reason to whine about, making players feel bad when the reality is that they do it for the money and to please their partnerships.

But at the end when you see old console companies turning to the PC side, when you see almost every game that is being released (except some platform exclusives) coming to PC and PS4, or PC and XBOX ONE or even games that will be released in all platforms but will be on PC first (the new WIPEOUT replacer coming from the old team of PSYGNOSIS)then you realize how "bad" the PC market is.

Edited by S1LV3R_W0LF

Phil Cassidy7

They'll never do that, why? Simple.

If the real numbers get revealed, game companies can't come out crying that piracy is destroying their sales and they'll have no reason to not respect and treat PC communities as they deserve. So this way Steam gets happy with their sales, publishers fill their pockets with maybe 5 or 10 more times then what they announce to the public and they still have a reason to whine about, making players feel bad when the reality is that they do it for the money and to please their partnerships.

But at the end when you see old console companies turning to the PC side, when you see almost every game that is being released (except some platform exclusives) coming to PC and PS4, or PC and XBOX ONE or even games that will be released in all platforms but will be on PC first (the new WIPEOUT replacer coming from the old team of PSYGNOSIS)then you realize how "bad" the PC market is.

Yeah, you remind me of this phrase:

"How you gather, manage and use information will determine whether you win or lose."

Bill Gates

Things like this are sad and so evident in this times.

Btw thanks for making a coherent comment.

• Like 2

KidFromGroveStreet

I think that V will sold 1 millon of units if they have luck.

Thety treat PC gamers like sh*t and that will impact in PC sales for sure.

R is to greedy

Oh you're way too optimistic, I'd be suprised if the PC version of V will even sell more than 200k units.

First, R* never treated PC gamers like sh*t, you could argue that IV's PC version was a proof that R* treated us like sh*t but thats because GTA IV was already a mess on current gen consoles PS3 and X360. Also if R* treated us like sh*t, then why is Max Payne 3's PC version run so smooth even on the 90s PC hardware?

Second, what company is not greedy?? Nobody is happy with how much money they already have/earned, they'll always want more. Not to mention R* is a company, not a charity organization.

On-topic : No, I don't think Steam is hurting PC gaming by not publishing their sales figures.

Edited by KidFromGroveStreet
  • Like 1

First, R* never treated PC gamers like sh*t,

Really?

They always delete our comments in the newswire when we asked about the PC version

They never release a trailer or a screenshot of the PC version in the last 3 years

They said that the PC port will be release in the fall of the 2014 and then delay to 2015

We dont know the PC requirements

We cant preorder the game

They took almost 3 years to announce the PC version

We will recieve the game 1 year and 4 months after the consoles release!

Need more evidence?

Edited by Choteron
  • Like 3

KidFromGroveStreet

Really?

They always delete our comments in the newswire when we asked about the PC version

They never release a trailer or a screenshot of the PC version in the last 3 years

They said that the PC port will be release in the fall of the 2014 and then delay to 2015

Need more evidence?

1. They already said it, they're focusing to give the people with current gen consoles PS3 and X360 the best possible experience at that time.

posted on 5/31/12

3. Didn't they explained it already? They want to optimize it better.

4. Sys requirements always come a month before the game releases.

5. You can, on R* warehouse.

6. Like I said, they wanted to give the current gen console players the best possible experience first.

7. PC version was never announced until E3 2014.

I'm not being a R* fanboy or anything just so you know.

Edited by KidFromGroveStreet

Really?

Need more evidence?

1. They already said it, they're focusing to give the people with current gen consoles PS3 and X360 the best possible experience at that time.

posted on 5/31/12

6. Like I said, they wanted to give the current gen console players the best possible experience first.

So is fine that consoles players can play the game twice before PC players?

Excuses, They want to milk more sales from consoles

Not in steam or other places.

• Like 2

KidFromGroveStreet

Really?

Need more evidence?

posted on 5/31/12

So is fine that consoles players can play the game twice before PC players?

Excuses, They want to milk more sales from consoles

Not in steam or other places.

Isn't that how the gaming industry works? Console first then PC? Its been that way for along time, I'm already use to it.

Who is going to buy a game on PS4 just to play it earlier knowing that the superior version is coming 2 months later?

I forgot who said it but I've read that Valve takes 30% of the profit. So basically if pre-order is on Steam, Valve will be getting money for doing nothing and R* giving 30% of the profit to Valve. I'm sure pre-orders are available around Late November or even earlier.

Also I would like to take this to PM because I don't want to derail the topic and have people calling me a console troll.

• Like 1

im still positive about PC.. pc games sales will increase this fall 2014 and Q1 2015 trust me.. :lol: and PC sales revenue have already surpassed consoles this year also.. and im sure it will break records on 27th January 2015! :r*: im not being a PC fan.. these are facts.

P.S. im a pc lover btw :whistle:

Well unfortunately it's how they do it, consoles first and then PC and at this stage I don't believe the reason is that consoles have a bigger market then PC, the actual reason is that a lot of people that have consoles also have PC's and if they present the same title for both platforms at the same time and comparing one to the other which one do you think people go for if they have capable hardware?

So you either do it this way or you do it like UBISOFT, that promotes one thing, causes hype and then tweaks down the other so it doesn't look better then the rest. So I expect that this gap for the PC and CG doesn't mean only corporative greed and business, but also that the PC version will be in a bit higher level and needs to be presented at the end to not harm the rest and before any idiot comes with the PC MASTER RACE bs, this is just a fact, a technical fact, so deal with it PC's are and always will be able to be ahead it only depends on who develops for them.

Kaito Katsumi

"Is it fine for console players to play the game twice before pc players?"

I find this quote stupid.

I mean, i am a PC player, i want the game badly, but why are you making that sound like some crime or some feminism argument? This situation isnn't like "Console players completed the game twice and we pc players have not even started, the Nazis will purge us all" kind of sh*t.

Edited by Kaito Katsumi

Phil Cassidy7

I know how "stressed" things are with the delay and console and stuff, but please don't make this topic into a console versus PC discussions/arguments.

Stay on topic, and let's avoid get locked.

Geeteeaifive

steam sell a ton of games. Its user base is known to buy games and not play them. For the sake of having more games.Thats how good it is for valve. They dont even have to make games yet they do. Wish they hurried with hl3.

Edited by Geeteeaifive

southparkmayor

By not publishing sales figures its suggests that the sales are not good enough in the 1st place to even release showing the weakness of steam. No it does hurt PC gaming. Its more of an inconvenience for analysts.

FriendlyPsychopath

Steam is far from hurting PC Gaming,is actually helping us,without steam we would have Origin and uPlay only having to pay full price for games,and each company having its own software to sell their products,here where I live some games with physical copy are not avaiable and I am sure that we are not alone,PC gaming is basically FPS (BF4,CSGO and COD),MOBA (LOL and Dota) and the most sells come from indie games.

And about piracy,well that is a problem for SP games only, as soon people notice that there is no work-around to play online games without paying they will run to steam and make the right choice.

Edited by FriendlyPsychopath

• 2 weeks later...

Really?

Need more evidence?

why are people getting so upset about this

steam sell a ton of games. Its user base is known to buy games and not play them. For the sake of having more games.Thats how good it is for valve. They dont even have to make games yet they do. Wish they hurried with hl3.

your welcome from a ps3 beta tester

Edited by GOURGA

TheDeathRises

Yeah, sure Steam is hurting PC gaming. It's, like you said, making most of the sales. How could that hurt it? I can't get behind your logic in any way.

Phil Cassidy7

Yeah, sure Steam is hurting PC gaming. It's, like you said, making most of the sales. How could that hurt it? I can't get behind your logic in any way.

Are you blind? can't you read?