3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

TheOneLibertonian

What made you love and adore GTA IV?

Uncle Vlad

I know that many people wanted FPV. There are many people that wanted GTA Online the way it is now, too. But who are these people? Fans of the GTA series sinces its beginnings? Or a bunch of CoD fans who want to play GTA because it makes them feel like a real gangstaaa?

Since V came out, the GTA community turned into a bunch of squeakers, whiners and ungrateful pricks. So I can answer the question for myself.

When I read threads like this, I really can say, the GTA series has come a long way...

http://gtaforums.com/topic/758439-why-wont-my-dress-stay-on

Edited by Doctor Ray

Ducard

I wanted FPV too and I barely touch multi-player. It's only optional so it's all fine by me. I think they may be saving other features for SP DLC.

If it becomes mandatory though, then we have a problem.

Uncle Vlad

If there wouldn´t be this "stuff put into Online, but left out of SP" blemish, I would be perfectly fine with the FPV option. The more optional stuff in SP, the better. But the way it is, it feels like the main reason they added FPV is that it lures more CoD players to GTA Online.

thetruth1

R* should've add more random street crime though such as muggings, car jackings etc.

:cookie:

I've looking for a mod which improves that. It would make the city more alive, feature that I loved in GTA IV.

Femme Fatale

K109

Berbie Crane

Karl Lagerfeld's DJing

Hercules

The crowd and Bartender in Hercules

Pool

Dimitri Rascalov

Girlfriends feature

Strip Club

TBoGT DLC

Edited by MotelGuy

Kampret

Everything until V came out and surpassed it.

Could you f*ck off IV section? You're not adding sh*t to discussion.

Uncle Vlad

Yesterday I decided to stop my V playthrough on new gen until the problem with the street races not showing up is solved. I don´t wanna go further and be stuck at 98 or 99 %, because they haven´t solved the problem yet (too busy with Online stuff...).

I´ll start a IV and EFLC parallel playthrough this weekend on my 360 and man....I´m so excited to return to LC. Daddy´s back you Bitches!!! :D

Uncle Vlad

For me one of the highlights in every GTA was the talk radio. IV is no exception, The shows on PLR and Integrity 2.0 are funny as hell. My favourites are "Pacemaker" (Waylon Mason, Wilson Taylor Sr. and Sheila stafford, the "corporate slut") and of course Integrity 2.0. Lazlow is sooo hilarious, I love the new episode in EFLC, when Lazlow is with his new sidekick Georgie.

Even if I don´t like V´s humor as much as IV´s, the talk radio is still funny. Well, at least "Chakra Attack" and "The Fernando Show". I don´t like how they portrayed Lazlow in V, it´s like they shat on him like they shat on Johnny.

MrDeSanta

IV is an interesting game. After the jump from SA and other 3D era GTA`s you needed some time to adapt to it since it seemed very diferent due to the new engine and everything. So it may took a while but once you get adapted with you`re gonna love it. Well, not all but many of us. I`m sure none of us was exactly happy with the driving in IV for the first time when we jumped behind the wheels in the "cousins Bellic" mission. More realistic driving physics made us feel weird after the cartoonized toy car handling from 3D era games. But when we got used to it, then it was awesome.

Once i got the IV`s driving done right there was no way i`m going back to 3D era`s driving again. Well i did go back but i sure didn`t enjoy it anymore as i used to.

The same goes for every other thing in IV, it just needed some time for adaptation. And that`s the reason why IV was so hated when it came out but after a while many people started to love it. Many people started to grow love for IV on 2.nd or even 3.rd playthrough.

The Deadite

tha radios and cars, i remember finding a Dukes, Her Strut was on the radio,just absolute badassery.

tapsdatass

I loved it because it was perfect for mine and my friends Police Patrol games. We used Team Death Match Mode as a roleplaying patrol session. Two teams, civilians and cops. The cops patrol through the city we were in and the civilians did whatever, they could drive around normally, make up scenarios, call 911 and report "crimes" set up pursuits, shoot outs, hostage situations. It was great. V came and just eff-ed it all up. As a matter of fact im going to get back on IV to try and recruit more people to do this again. I miss it.

LCPD-20-Alpha

Mr.Nedich

My biggest problem was GTA IV became apparent when you play Ballad of Gay Tony. GTA IV's world build really really suffers from the dim filters used for the 'narrative overtone' of GTA IV. Ballad of Gay Tony, which is notable for being colorful and less depressing in filter use, shows just how beautiful the city can be if you remove those ugly filters.

That big problem aside, I'd say that I enjoyed a lot of things about IV that I was disappointed by in V. GTA IV's radio stations (my favourite is JNR followed up by The Vibe) felt like the selection was much more thorough whereas the general selection of V, while being decent, felt more like a hastily thrown together selection of commonly listened to in the Los Angeles region genres of music whereas IV's feels like it was much more painstakingly chosen.

I enjoyed pool and the cube arcade game which I was quite sad that didn't make its way back into V.

The biggest departure from IV I've lamented in V is that IV's world feels so much more alive. V can be an entertaining world to drive around in, has beautiful scenery, but the NPCs, a strong and important part of any large game's world, feel much more lifeless and programmed. Some have said 'LA and vapid, that's the joke!' But, no, that's NOT the joke. V's NPCs don't come off as 'vapid', they come off as empty and lifeless programs with attempts at human behaviour most of the time. It feels like most of V's NPCs are standing around or in groups and Rockstar expected us to think that counted as 'lifelike', but in IV the NPCs all felt much more real in their world behaviours. V has good NPC behaviours too (Gardeners, Farmers and so on) but those are in rather out of the way or unlikely to be seen places whereas IV's good npc actions were out in the open.

IV's overall lively world was really enjoyable to me and I think IV definitely made a mark on what a quality open world build should be at its core.

iiCriminnaaL 49
Posted (edited)

I surely adore it for several things, such as the story, characters, atmosphere, mechanics and map. But the most outstanding aspect that was the reason I've been playing it nonstop for a few hours is its ragdoll effects. The longest time I spent in random chaos and mayhem rather than quickly starting up with the story in a GTA title is most likely in GTA IV (which also happens to have the best story in my opinion as well), mainly for its epic euphoria and ragdoll.

Edited by iiCriminnaaL 49

MysteryDriverX
Posted (edited)

The characters are extremely likable from the start. As soon as you arrive to LC I was glad Roman was my character's cousin because he's very charismatic and seemed like a fun and nice guy to have as family, even though he already looks like trouble. And Niko has perfect facial expressions and dialogue, very fitting for the main character. Also loved the feeling of arriving at LC in the beginning, that scene where Niko talks to the other guy, sees some other guy hug a girl that was waiting for his arrival, that crane transporting the Mercedes, the American radio commercials that sound out of Roman's car. This is all noticeable from the first cutscene already, I loved that. It really got me immersed into the character of Niko and being someone who has just arrived to """"""New York"""""".

I haven't played the game too much yet, still getting used to the driving physics but I love the way the cars and people react to crashes. The story moves at nice pace, I loved those two car chases from the first missions. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Edited by MysteryDriverX

SonOfLiberty

I've already posted in this thread, but feel like it's time for a refresher.

I knew from the first few hours playing GTA IV it was something special. While the rest of the internet was busy complaining about materialistic features not being included (which don't really make the game better or worse) I was completely overwhelmed by its take on Liberty City.

It felt like the GTA series had finally grown up and become realised after the 3D era was such a mixed bag. It felt like GTA IV was the vision Sam and Dan Houser always had and they were finally able to capture lightning in a bottle so to speak. It's honestly the only game I play from the mid 7th generation regularly.

It's aged gracefully IMO like a fine wine. No matter how many times I play through the story it still feels refreshing as much as it did on April 29 2008. It's a game that I love and cherish so much even years from now when I'm done with video games I'll look back on as one of the cornerstones I experienced as a gamer and it'll never be forgotten. 

To utter Niko's famous words Life is complicated. I've killed people, smuggled people, sold people, but here perhaps things will be different. Those words are etched into my memory for life.:)

Supr3m3W4rrior781

Niko Bellic 

Equatecurl
Posted (edited)

The real feeling

if you blind folded someone and made them listen to this they would say it’s real, i swear it is real

this sh*t is real

Edited by Equatecurl

santosvagos

-  Well written storyline . ( The best of GTA series ) .

- Well written characters . ( The McReary family - My favorite ) 

- Map and its amazing detail .

- Side missions . ( man , enjoy gang wars and drug wars a lot ) .

Prayag 97

Things that made me fall in love with GTA IV are a lot of things and features. However, the main reasons why I love this game so much are :-

1) Niko Bellic, a really good protagonist in my opinion. I like his style, his sarcasm, his way of feeling empty because that's how many war veterans feel.

2) The fact that we can communicate with our friends in-game and know extra about their life. For example: Packie once said Niko that his father has molested both him and Gerry and I was f*cking shocked because that was never ever mentioned in the missions but still it could be considered canon.

3) Dimitri as a main villain was pretty good, I had the feeling inside me while playing this game that, " Yes, Dimitri is a backstabbing piece of sh*t who deserves to die".

4) Amazing atmosphere, especially during sunsets and nighttime. Beautiful city.

5) Ample amount of missions connected to the storyline, unlike its predecessors, the game does not deviate from the main storyline.

Cjrememberthat

-city

-characters

-atmosphere

-gunplay feeling

i still hate some sh*t like bad AI

YouSitTightBuddy
Posted (edited)

Simply because of the amount of passion placed into the overall atmosphere and storyline, and how the game really made you feel like the lone stranger in a foreign, yet familiar land.

There's just so much nuance packed into the city, from the lighting, the pedestrian dialogue, the music and the capitalism/greed and advertising, the chaos and the hustle and bustle... you can imagine how overwhelming all these elements are to Niko, a veteran from a post-war, post-commie Eastern Bloc with a dark past who has never been to America before, which allows you to emphatize with why he has such a cynical opinion of America and its people and in turn affects how he views Liberty City (hence the gloomy feel).

Character development through the environment is something I felt was somewhat natural in GTA IV, and it did not feel like it was forced on you at all (unlike GTA V and arguably San Andreas), which is why I objectively enjoyed it a lot more than the other games in the series.

Edited by YouSitTightBuddy