3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

TheOneLibertonian

What made you love and adore GTA IV?

Tycek

Would it sound too vague if I say everything? To be honest that it's the only answer I can think of. I love the gritty atmosphere of the LC with dark alleys full of drug dealers, hookers approaching clients, steam coming from the grates and shady immigrant with the dark past walking amongst it all, trying to find the one particular man, while trying to help his cousin and dodge all the hurdles going his way. I love how the city is alive (not pretending to be like fake LS), like there are people minding their own business, blocking the intersections, waiting for a subway train, eating a sandwich in a fast food restaurant or just enjoying a rare moment of peace, while smoking a cigarette standing near the door to their office. I love the voices of the city, stupid taxi drivers cursing every other car user in the city, DJ greeting another day in their radio and Brucie yelling into the speaker that he would like to see some pussy. I love the clouds approaching the city, bringing another rain or storm, when people will start rushing to get to their destination or just a rare sunny day to enjoy the rare moment of peace.

Judicious 7

A few things.

- Driving a car listening to The Classics heading to ride a subway car to another borough.

- Being immersed in a hustling bustling city with which I was unfamiliar.

gunziness

The inmersive city and the driving most importantly. The 3 games are beautiful actually, even to this day they are prettier than most modern games.

B Dawg

The Patriot's and Dukes's car flipping capabilities! f*ck yea!

Pavle

Everything.

Queen Elizabeth II

It must be vehicles design, city design, plot and that physics.

HoleInTheSky

The city atmosphere, NPCs who are engaging, each district blends naturally with the next, bleak colours that compliments the seriousness of IV, sound design and physics. Then you've got Niko and the main plot, which only deepens the experience.

Edited by HoleInTheSky

Kiffster

I love almost everything, which is why the game is up there as one of my top 3, beaten only by Skyrim.

Love the city, awesome atmosphere, almost all vehicles, great music, driving physics (which is still the best I've seen in any game), Euphoria, traffic density etc. Very few things I don't like (stupid drivers, customization, useless money and whatnot).

CometGT

What I love personally about IV, is the whole astmosphere that the game gives off whenever you drive down the many streets and alley ways, and especially the amount of places to go to, from restaurants to social activities of all sorts. The characters development between all 3 stories of IV, especially the minor characters and the whole population which go by their day to day life around LC.

First time I played GTA IV, I got hooked into exploring IV's version of LC for what it is and the diverse and ambience that it has. Dark and grey at times atmosphere to one side. GTA IV is a beautiful city, which no matter how many times I say now after 6+ years of playing the game and exploring the city, will never get that boring.

Nowdrivefaster

First thing I fell in love with was "ragdoll"-people when I hit them with a car :D Some kind of reality of everything is one of the most important things.

I don't really know. There is so much more special than in other GTA Games, although every GTA Games has their own good and bad sides.

dognuts

First time being in Hove Beach had a really mysterious feel to me, i specifically remember that. I was 11 when IV was released, and at that age i didn't care for the story of a game. However, IV was still A LOT of fun for me - the funnest game i ever played when it first came out. The ragdoll physics alone were enough for me to love the game. I made tons of videos (crappy ones, but still) of me jumping from cars, helicopters, bikes, etc. just so i can laugh at the funny ragdoll physics. I also watched countless YouTube videos of people doing the same thing. Ben Buja's Bloopers, Glitches & Silly Stuff was my sh*t back then.

I said this already on another topic, but it wasn't until Red Dead Redemption that i started appreciating the story of a game. That game had such a good story. Red Dead Redemption was also the first game i 100% completed. All my friends got RDR, so playing multiplayer was a lot of fun, as well. Eventually my friends went back to playing IV - particularly TBoGT Multiplayer, so I went with them. At this time i decide to replay TBoGT's story. It was really good, so i decided to play TLAD and that was even better. After TLAD, i replayed IV - this time keeping track of the story. Simply put, i was blown away. I feel it was better than Red Dead Redemption. I was also much better at the game, and being good at something obviously gives you a more enjoyable experience. Just a damn great game.

In my head, i kept saying Rockstar wouldn't be able to top the story in V, especially when i learned of where it was taking place. A "modernized re-imagining" of sunny Los Santos just didn't seem like it could offer that great a story. However, i was still expecting the gameplay to be a large improvement from IV, as Red Dead Redemption and Max Payne 3 improved on it in many aspects... And it takes losing something to truly realize what you had. People can bash IV for not having enough side missions or whatever, but in my honest opinion, the gameplay itself is great. Ranging from the Euphoria physics, driving physics, shooting mechanics and overall game atmosphere. Even the amount of damned detail they put into IV - from almost all the side characters having rich backstories to all the possibilities of approaching and failing missions (as seen on this guy's YouTube channel) - is just amazing. All of this stuff just wasn't done as good in the next game, which made me appreciate it even more.

That's my essay for the day.

Edited by thekillerdonuts

super_slav

Niko Bellic

Liberty city
Story

Driving physics

Horatius

Everything

fefenc

Luis motherf*cking Lopez

Hover_Mode

Specifically I'd Say -

All the Minor Details...

Ambient Feeling of the City, People Talking, People doing things(eating out, checking Atm, checking engine, phones going off etc.)

All the Interiors, Walking straight in to a Fully Detailed Interior, no loading times.

The Driving, Feels like a Racing Game, Loved Racing in multiplayer

The Euphoria Physics, OMG.......why more games don't use this baffles me.

The SoundTrack, I can listen to all the Radiostations. GtaIV hipped me to so much great music&artist , like APHEX TWIN

Seriously, this is my favorite video game of all time, I respect GTA V. But GTAIV is such a beastly video game.

Its like the Matrix

Edited by representa

B Dawg

The Driving, Feels like a Racing Game, Loved Racing in multiplayer

I remember reading about GTA V's driving in one of those previews 'More like a racing game, able to run more physics' :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Tycek

Too bad nobody said it will be Mario Kart.

GTA_fear

Yeah, like Tycek and others have said: pretty much everything.

I had always considered it a nice / good game, until a year or two ago, when it started really growing on me, now I basically find it a masterpiece. How GTA V turned out made me appreciate IV even more, so yeah...

SonOfLiberty

First time being in Hove Beach had a really mysterious feel to me, i specifically remember that. I was 11 when IV was released, and at that age i didn't care for the story of a game. However, IV was still A LOT of fun for me - the funnest game i ever played when it first came out. The ragdoll physics alone were enough for me to love the game. I made tons of videos (crappy ones, but still) of me jumping from cars, helicopters, bikes, etc. just so i can laugh at the funny ragdoll physics. I also watched countless YouTube videos of people doing the same thing. Ben Buja's Bloopers, Glitches & Silly Stuff was my sh*t back then.

I said this already on another topic, but it wasn't until Red Dead Redemption that i started appreciating the story of a game. That game had such a good story. Red Dead Redemption was also the first game i 100% completed. All my friends got RDR, so playing multiplayer was a lot of fun, as well. Eventually my friends went back to playing IV - particularly TBoGT Multiplayer, so I went with them. At this time i decide to replay TBoGT's story. It was really good, so i decided to play TLAD and that was even better. After TLAD, i replayed IV - this time keeping track of the story. Simply put, i was blown away. I feel it was better than Red Dead Redemption. I was also much better at the game, and being good at something obviously gives you a more enjoyable experience. Just a damn great game.

In my head, i kept saying Rockstar wouldn't be able to top the story in V, especially when i learned of where it was taking place. A "modernized re-imagining" of sunny Los Santos just didn't seem like it could offer that great a story. However, i was still expecting the gameplay to be a large improvement from IV, as Red Dead Redemption and Max Payne 3 improved on it in many aspects... And it takes losing something to truly realize what you had. People can bash IV for not having enough side missions or whatever, but in my honest opinion, the gameplay itself is great. Ranging from the Euphoria physics, driving physics, shooting mechanics and overall game atmosphere. Even the amount of damned detail they put into IV - from almost all the side characters having rich backstories to all the possibilities of approaching and failing missions (as seen on this guy's YouTube channel) - is just amazing. All of this stuff just wasn't done as good in the next game, which made me appreciate it even more.

That's my essay for the day.

I remember the first time I was allowed to freely walk around Hove Beach the first thing I done is go over near the docks where the Platypus was and stared at the Algonquin skyline. It took my breath away honestly.

dognuts

I remember the first time I was allowed to freely walk around Hove Beach the first thing a I done is went over nears the docks where the Platypus was and stared at the Algonquin skyline. It took my breath away honestly.

That's another thing, unlocking Algonquin for the first time and heading to Star Junction for the first time was incredible. I've never been to Times Square, but the first time being in Star Junction, especially at night, is just dazzling. If they ever re-do Las Venturas, i hope they can capture that same feeling. Same goes with getting to the top of the Rotterdam Tower for the first time. It's amazing...

That brings up another thing - I hope that needing to unlock parts of the map returns in the next game. Having the entire thing available from the start kinda spoils the fun for me. Having a part of the map restricted from you, and then unlocking it, is such a rewarding feeling. It feels like getting an entirely new game. That's my opinion, of course.

agalloch

I like Roman.

TheOneLibertonian

Sorry if I haven't posted since 3 weeks ago, but let's get it straight. GTA IV is a marvelling masterpiece that will remain as one of Rockstar's greatest gem and possibly one of the greatest games in history. (some may dissagree). GTA IV has aged quite well, unlike some other games.

Despite some of it's flaws, R* provided us great gameplay combined with a even better story that still gives chill through out my spine. I remember the moment when Niko knew everything on how Darko killed Niko's unit. I Felt that anger, that emotion, that moment where Niko have seen the truth. A fantastic performance by Michael Hollick. Even if I do like V and it's gameplay and some of it's characters (Michael and Lester) GTA IV still beats it as my favorite GTA game of all time. :)

Cheers.

Jehannum

The map

Niko

The dark feel

The intelligence of the storyline and screenplay

Luckily, although I had played GTA;SA and VC a little, I wasn't a fanboy. This was the first GTA I got into big time. To me it made the previous games look like cartoons. If I wanted that sort of thing I'd go with Saints Row.

I still think IV compares favourably to V in some areas.

CometGT

What has made me fall in love with IV, is how that I have never heard any of those songs used in it's entire soundtrack before playing the game, and afterwards to now in terms of only listening to them in game. Just like the past GTA's soundtracks of never really listened to or known before playing the actual game respectively. Which V in my opinion in terms of soundtrack fails slightly due to that I have listened to quite a lot of them used in the game (V) way before playing GTA V last year.

Which adds something refreshing to GTA IV and EFLC in terms of especially of soundtrack used by R*. As well as the many buildings dotted around LC, which on some on the outside looks impossible to reach to the roof unless you are using a helicopter, no matter which of course, when you get closer on the ground looks possible when catching a glimpse of a ladder and figuring it out of how to reach the ladder in question.

That is why I love playing IV and EFLC, either on SP or MP as it adds more fun trying to jump a big gap inbetween two buildings without losing health or respawning randomly if on MP. And a great place to hide or to chase down other players whilst using a RPG or a sniper.

dognuts

The Euphoria engine:

(skip to 1:23 if the video doesn't do it for you)

Edited by thekillerdonuts

PhillBellic

The Euphoria engine:

(skip to 1:23 if the video doesn't do it for you)

Oh man, those videos are the sh*t. I once laughed so hard I cried.

Cheers.

SonOfLiberty

Lol @ Niko throwing the cigarette. This is why I love GTA IV's Euphoria.

SL Dua1iTy

What makes me adore grand theft auto iv is the clan wars between pc shooter clans, i am still actively playing this game and i think by playing it so much the pc clans have resurrected it back to life :D, you guys should make tdm clans too and start fresh and we can do clan wars vs eachother. (here is my clan's youtube link :https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTPjKgLRGfBZsFowLuPcBeg),watch some videos too see how to play in pro tdm clan wars and what kind of movement and aim you should have so u can become better and better and play with the other pc pro clans :).

Dua1iTy

Edited by SL Dua1iTy

Nordicdusk

Everything was amazing about the game. The city was alive even when you turned the game off you felt people where still going about their business all over liberty city.

AuSsIeThUnDeR36

It's a vast improvement over previous gta titles in that R* were working with new RAGE and Euphoria. While there are a multiple of things that are amazing about IV there was a lot taken away from the game like haircuts, fingerless gloves, more clothing options, ability to get fat or thin, workout to build muscle, plane flying. All those things which we loved about San Andreas and that's customization. Oh yes and the other one, vehicle customization! Why the heck that was left out who knows. The other thing that bothers me about IV is there isn't much to buy with all the money left at the end of the game. In hindsight, IV makes up for all this by providing a living, breathing city, with its inhabitants going about their day. It all adds up to the realism that we as gamers expect these days to make it much more enjoyable.

How all that data fits on the game disc is beyond me. It's witchcraft.