2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

*DO NOT* SHARE MEDIA OR LINKS TO LEAKED COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Discussion is allowed.

Weapon/Character wheel on the keyboard?

Kafonix

It can be Num4 Michael, Num8 Franklin, Numb6 Trevor with default controls.

About the Weapon system, it can be a wheel with the mouse. It should be easy. Just move the mouse into the direction of the weapon you want to use.

• Like 2

it can be F for gun, U for bomb, C for big gun and K for knife

You are funny to make all these assumptions

Edited by nostrora

Why not just use TAB for character switch and R for Weapon menu? The same thing Ubisoft did for Watch Dogs where you move mouse to select gear you wanted while holding proper key. Simple yet effective. The mouse wheel could be used for bringing up smartphone and zooming while aiming.

It can be Num4 Michael, Num8 Franklin, Numb6 Trevor with default controls.

About the Weapon system, it can be a wheel with the mouse. It should be easy. Just move the mouse into the direction of the weapon you want to use.

Most of us play using WSAD keys with left hand and right hand for mouse so it's dumb configuration + waste of keys. The controls should be as simple as possible to avoid confusion.

Edited by poland stronk
  • Like 2

Well this is from settings.meta which suggests you can use keys:

<!-- PC Specific --><Item>INPUT_MAP</Item><Item>INPUT_SELECT_WEAPON_UNARMED</Item><Item>INPUT_SELECT_WEAPON_MELEE</Item><Item>INPUT_SELECT_WEAPON_HANDGUN</Item><Item>INPUT_SELECT_WEAPON_SHOTGUN</Item><Item>INPUT_SELECT_WEAPON_SMG</Item><Item>INPUT_SELECT_WEAPON_AUTO_RIFLE</Item><Item>INPUT_SELECT_WEAPON_SNIPER</Item><Item>INPUT_SELECT_WEAPON_HEAVY</Item><Item>INPUT_SELECT_WEAPON_SPECIAL</Item><Item>INPUT_SELECT_CHARACTER_MICHAEL</Item><Item>INPUT_SELECT_CHARACTER_FRANKLIN</Item><Item>INPUT_SELECT_CHARACTER_TREVOR</Item><Item>INPUT_SELECT_CHARACTER_MULTIPLAYER</Item><Item>INPUT_SAVE_REPLAY_CLIP</Item><Item>INPUT_SPECIAL_ABILITY_PC</Item>

Even then I'd still suspect there'd be the option of using the weapon wheel too - at the very least it should be very easy to make a mod. And of course, you'll still be able to use XInput controllers and the weapon wheel with that.

Most of us play using WSAD keys with left hand and right hand for mouse so it's dumb configuration + waste of keys. The controls should be as simple as possible to avoid confusion.

Using same controls. I wrote it as an example. Other example can be with the F buttons. F1=M, F2=F, F3=T. THis would be even better.

For now, we can just guess and do nothing else. :)

Keyboard binds will be present obviously. Though for the weapon wheel itself, I think something like TAB will open it, select the weapon slot with mouse, and use scroll wheel to change the weapon in the slot (ex. change from RPG to Minigun)

Edited by oCrapaCreeper

Keyboard binds will be present obviously. Though for the weapon wheel itself, I think something like TAB will open it, select the weapon slot with mouse, and use scroll wheel to change the weapon in the slot (ex. change from RPG to Minigun)

Probably something like this, with a combination of keybinds for those who want them. Just like Max Payne 3, basically. For the weapon wheel, I think they could do "Hold middle mouse, then move mouse around to select". Again, we could still have the usual keybinds, so the option is there for those who want it.

In terms of character switching, I think Tab would be perfect for it. Hold tab to bring up the "slow mo" menu, then use the mouse to go up/down/left/right. Alternatively, they could also bind instant switching to the numpad/function keys, for ease of access during missions where quick switching is required.

I think It'll work out great. I'm just wondering how the new driving physics will feel with a keyboard. I got used to Sleeping Dogs' arcade as f*ck driving with a keyboard, I'm sure I'll get used to V's as well. Especially since I actually found them to be quite enjoyable on console (this is coming from someone who's absolute sh*t with a controller, by the way).

Edited by Xerukal

I don't think it will be like Max Payne 3.

For weapon wheel, we can probably press a key, which can open the weapon wheel, then we move the mouse to select the weapon (not mouse scroll). Then, we can use the mouse scroll to change the weapon between each type (ex. Grenade to Sticky Bomb). As for Character wheel, I'm guessing it's somewhere near WSAD for quick changing.

The real question should be directed to what you press to enable character's special ability.

The real question should be directed to what you press to enable character's special ability.

Left Alt seems appropriate.

Function keys can work too.

Also, I was under the impression that what you suggested was identical to MP3's system, hence why I also suggested it in my post. It appears I was wrong, but I think this control scheme would work great for the weapon wheel, whether it was in MP3 or not.

it can be F for gun, U for bomb, C for big gun and K for knife

You are funny to make all these assumptions

F U C K

I'm an oldschool FPS player (started with Quake I) so I'm quite used to the number keys. I don't think you can really go wrong using the number keys from 1 to 9 or 0 (don't know how many weapons you can have).

It works well in GTA IV (in the Saints Row games as well), so there should be no problem with the system. Or, just use the scroll wheel on your mouse.

• 2 weeks later...

It may work in the same way as the Character, Weapon, and Radio selection wheel modifications made by JulioNIB for IV.

Cheers.

Clicking and holding the middle mouse down would be good. Then use mouse movements to highlight a weapon slot (Assault rifle/shotgun/pistol slots, stuff like that).

However, since GTA V stores several weapons of the same type in one slot, we need a key that lets us scroll through these types. So maybe hold down middle mouse, highlight a weapon slot and then scroll the mouse up/down to go through the various weapons. Or just use a keyboard key for the same function.

I'm an oldschool FPS player (started with Quake I) so I'm quite used to the number keys. I don't think you can really go wrong using the number keys from 1 to 9 or 0 (don't know how many weapons you can have).

It works well in GTA IV (in the Saints Row games as well), so there should be no problem with the system. Or, just use the scroll wheel on your mouse.

Well, the game has a lot more weapons that 9.

Yeah, exactly. There's the whole thing with the game storing literally every single weapon you purchase in your inventory. So you need to have a key to scroll through several weapons of the same type.

Edited by Xerukal

TheTechPoTaToCHIP

I expect them to do the same thing as watch dogs with the weapon wheel.

Hold TAB and use the mouse to select a weapon and the mouse wheel to scroll to the weapons of the same type (while the wheel is open) and quick switch between the weapon types (when the wheel is closed)

As for character switching, I expect that you would just hold {KEY} and use the mouse to highlight the character.

But I also expect them to make shortcuts as seen in the input file.

Edited by TheTechPoTaToCHIP

Yeah, exactly. There's the whole thing with the game storing literally every single weapon you purchase in your inventory. So you need to have a key to scroll through several weapons of the same type.

The Half-Life series has had multiple weapons per slot, and there just pressing the slot key again would give you a further weapon in the slot.
  • Like 2

SsZgxdL.png

Inactive in GTA/R* title modification indefinitely pursuant to a court order obtained by TTWO. Good job acting against modding!

It could be F to open the weapon wheel, and then you use the mouse to navigate. With switching characters, you press P and then switch to whatever character you want.

dVOJf7l.png

Clicking and holding the middle mouse down would be good. Then use mouse movements to highlight a weapon slot (Assault rifle/shotgun/pistol slots, stuff like that).

However, since GTA V stores several weapons of the same type in one slot, we need a key that lets us scroll through these types. So maybe hold down middle mouse, highlight a weapon slot and then scroll the mouse up/down to go through the various weapons. Or just use a keyboard key for the same function.

Better yet, choose between weapon in the same slot using left and right mouse buttons.

So, hold middle mouse to show weapon wheel, choose slots using mouse (FC3 like), and choose weapon in the slot using L/R mouse buttons. Confirm by letting go middle mouse button.

Keys 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0 for swapping to a class, tapping the same multiple times switches inside its class.

Its probably going to be like a lazy port where you hold a random button and then move your mouse to select weapons...

Im wondering how theyre going to make the special abilities.

Its probably going to be like a lazy port where you hold a random button and then move your mouse to select weapons...

How is this lazy? If they offer this option in addition to the standard key shortcuts that we've had in GTA IV, then we'll have no problem. I've actually grown to like the Weapon Wheel, and I don't see it as too uncomfortable to use on PC, to be honest. This is based on other games that utilized a similar version of it. Like Assassin's Creed (specifically Brotherhood).

I think special abilities could be bound to left ALT or something like that. Easy to toggle on/off quickly.

Something tells me that the keyboard + mouse will work like this:

Weapons wheel: E + Mouse movement. Arrows to change weapons within a weapon genre.

I don't think arrows are too convenient. At least not when you want to switch weapons in the middle of a gunfight.

Personally, I think holding down a keyboard key, then using the mouse to select a weapon/scroll through categories with the middle button is the best way. It feels the most natural to me, but others are obviously going to feel differently. So I do hope we get to bind alternate keys to stuff, like with some recent PC versions of other games.

Edited by Xerukal