2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

*DO NOT* SHARE MEDIA OR LINKS TO LEAKED COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Discussion is allowed.

A Sense of Speed/Distance

BrokenLizard

For next gen.

Will it be focused on and majorly improved?

On the PS3 version, it really felt like you were going 75 when hitting the throttle all the way. The cars on the freeway seemed to be going 40 mph and in the city maybe 20 tops. With the denser traffic, this HAS to be worked on and overhauled.

When setting a waypoint on the map, it would say for example 1.68 miles but that distance should have been 4 miles. I mean, from one end of the map to the other was what, about 7 miles? It really made that feature useless. The vertical scale is pretty solid, but it doesn't match the horizontal.

In IV, after reaching a certain speed, motion blur kicked in to let you know you're hauling ass. It made driving fast somewhat challenging but with the sparse traffic, you never had the feeling of flying past cars like IRL. Now I don't know if that should be implemented, but I think with the updated technology, they can make the motion blur badass.

There's also supposed to be functioning speedometers, but knowing R*, that will be cut from the game.

What do you think? And mainly, what do you want?

Edited by BrokenLizard
  • Like 1

When setting a waypoint on the map, it would say for example 1.68 miles but that distance should have been 5 miles. I mean, from one end of the map to the other was what, about 7 miles? It really made that feature useless.

Um what? The reason it says 1.68 miles is because there actually is a distance of 1.68 miles between you and your waypoint. And the map is ~ 7 miles long from north to south, I'm not really sure what your point is.

• Like 3

Let me put it in simpler terms for you.

If I'm driving at approximately 60 mph in game, then how is it feasible that I get to my destination of let's say 3 miles in about 2 and a half hours game time?

Set a waypoint and hit top speed on the freeway, the miles gradually decrease.

Go test out a 1/2 mile drag, and compare those numbers to real life.

The system is definitely flawed.

Game time is completely irrelevant. That's just the way the game was designed so it wouldn't take 24 actual hours for 1 day to pass. The days are shortened but the scale, distance, speed calculation etc is 100% accurate to real life and has been in every GTA game. I still don't get your point, do you want them to pretend that the map is a lot bigger than it actually is or something?

You lost me when you said scale, distance, and speed has been 100% accurate in every GTA game.

You must be a troll.

universetwisters

If it takes me about 5 minutes IRL to climb to the top of that bigass crane near the Mile High Club, and if one minute in real life equals an hour in GTA time (I know it's like two in GTA 5 but for the sake of argument I'm using III era time), then it would've taken five hours to climb that crane.

Boy my arms are tired.

• Like 1

I come up with a real issue here while people are making fashion contests and appreciation threads and you're telling me don't think too much about it?

I'd like you if you told people with the pointless questions, but gtfo here with that bullsh*t on here.

The forums NEED more real questions like this, like how it was before.

Let me put it in simpler terms for you.

If I'm driving at approximately 60 mph in game, then how is it feasible that I get to my destination of let's say 3 miles in about 2 and a half hours game time?

Set a waypoint and hit top speed on the freeway, the miles gradually decrease.

Go test out a 1/2 mile drag, and compare those numbers to real life.

The system is definitely flawed.

It's because miles in the game are measured more realistically, where as hours are way short. If you counted how many miles you could travel in two real life minutes (1 in game hour) it would only be something like 4 mph even if you were speeding, that's just because time and distance are represented so differently in the game.

Half of the things you mentioned aren't issues.

Your first point claims that it feels like you're only driving 70 MPH.

The Adder is the fastest car in the game, it's top speed is 120 MPH, and what you see/feel when driving it in game is what you would see/feel if you were a floating camera behind a real car going 120 MPH. I think instead of making it feel like you're driving faster artificially by adding things like motion blur, or that god awful camera shake that's currently in the game, they should significantly increase the top speed of cars instead, to closer match their real life counterparts.

Your second point is simply wrong, if you still don't believe me go ask someone like WildBrick142, MulleDK19 or theNGclan, they'll probably be able to better explain it to you.

Edited by Apex Predator

Yes agree with above, the new consoles and PC should be able to handle a boost, i've been hoping for this atleast in aviation, planes f.ex. are pretty darn slow all things considered.

Actually i think it would be strange if speeds where not tuned up abit in the next releases, the cap is pretty low on ps3\360.

I'm not saying i could handle care safely at the speeds listed in the stat pages, hehe, though i'd like the chance to wipeout and windshield dive at 300mph, for sure.

And yes, no blur or shaking, please. urgh......horrible

Edited by Sofa

The forums NEED more real questions like this, like how it was before.

You joined this February..

• Like 1

theworldfamous

Time and distance are separate in GTA. This gives weird result when you time activities in game time. The alternative isn't much better though. You'd either have artificially fast cars or a longer time cycle.

The 7 miles you can drive in GTA V take you across an unrealistic amount of terrain. In reality driving from downtown los Angeles to an area like Blaine county wouldn't be 7 miles for sure.

So, they would never be able to get it completely right and this is a good middle ground. Personally I wish the time was a bit slower than it is now.

The time has to do with the mystery that does not exist in the game and has never existed in any of the games. The mystery doesn't care about cars or speed or jets or climbing...it cares about the twisted perception of reality that holds a mystery that doesn't exist.

ViceCityStalker

Well hopefully now we will be able to use meth so there will be more speed...ba-dush.

@BrokenLizard

What i think you're saying is the actual top speed at which you can go should (could) be higher, as in you are literally going faster than you can now. And this would make the in game time taken to travel more realistic.

Im pretty sure you are saying this, right?

But at the same time it really doesn't take that long to reach a destination that is lets say 4 miles away. What, like 3 or 4 minutes? And I'm pretty sure they scaled it based on your character size. So it is technically 7 miles end to end.

I am very much for the top speed increasing, what is the fastest vehicle in the game, its gotta be the jets right (Besra now?) - so can any car travel as fast as that jet? I don't think so, but obviously it is possible to move at that speed without too much pop up issues, and especially on current gen should be fine.

It should basically be so fast that you can only just control it. There are so many times that I feel like I'm 'trundling', when I should feel like I'm 'tearing!'. Especially races with catch up, that sh*t is just slow.

Bear in mind an increase in top possible speed would make the map 'feel' smaller.

If what it appears you may want is for the time to be more in line with the distance then yes speeding things up would bring it closer but it obviously it can't be accurate because an hour is factored down to roughly 2 mins.

Compared to the real world they have sped time up, but slowed speed down. Its enough to make your brain shake.

If you dumbf*cks can't blatantly see that the system needs tweaking, you need to go climb back in your hole and do us a favor and stay there.

Don't be fooled about the February join date, I've been visiting this site since 07 and felt the need to make an account because of the utterly stupid sh*t I see posted on here.

I DO NOT give a f*ck about the time in this game. I simply used that for a scale. The cars go slow as sh*t in this game PERIOD. Don't try saying anything different. A Buzzard barely goes faster than a Zentorno, and a Maverick is almost equal. If you don't see that and come here to put your two sense in, you're the reason why I joined here in the first place.

Congratulations.

Edited by BrokenLizard

Well this thread can be locked.. turns out if you disagree with the OP you're a "dumbf*ck" and shouldn't post in his topic on an OPEN forum.

If you dumbf*cks can't blatantly see that the system needs tweaking, you need to go climb back in your hole and do us a favor and stay there.

Don't be fooled about the February join date, I've been visiting this site since 07 and felt the need to make an account because of the utterly stupid sh*t I see posted on here.

I DO NOT give a f*ck about the time in this game. I simply used that for a scale. The cars go slow as sh*t in this game PERIOD. Don't try saying anything different. A Buzzard barely goes faster than a Zentorno, and a Maverick is almost equal. If you don't see that and come here to put your two sense in, you're the reason why I joined here in the first place.

Congratulations.

Chill out mate. If you want people to help, give them a reason to, rather than reasons to ignore everything you say from this point onwards.

Congratulations.

Signatures are dumb anyway.

That's enough of that thanks.